• Biome 3

Votes: 283 15.6%
  • Biome 4

Votes: 53 2.9%
  • Biome 5

Votes: 115 6.3%
  • Biome 6

Votes: 51 2.8%
  • I have beaten the game/Playing on NG+!

Votes: 881 48.6%

• Total voters

taepoppuri

Oct 29, 2017
The projectile poison gun is so nasty, destroy all mobs in 2nd biome, damage over time is super useful against big enemy. Too I got swarmed by the drones in 3rd biome, hate their suicide dive >_>

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
Yuuuup. If I have a goal to get to the boss I dont even fuck with the Star rooms, those are just a biome challege in disguise.
Lol. The challenge rooms are identified with stars so you know if you want to do them or not. They aren't really in disguise.
That being said the required one in the 5th biome always gets tense for me, but I rocked it this time.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Here are some things the game doesn't explain that I failed to notice for several hours:
•You can heal by sleeping at your ship.
•Weapon perks that are unlocked by use are saved between runs, so unlocking them is very worth it.
•You can heal! By sleeping at your ship! It's free!
•If the game feels too fundamentally difficult, try putting Aim Assist to high; it's the only thing you can really do to adjust the difficulty.
•Also setting the game to always-sprint helps to avoid some controller clunkiness.
•You can actually heal, by sleeping at your ship! As much as you want!
•Pick up the health boosts even if you're at full health; they'll expand your health bar. In fact, when you get serious about a boss run, you'll want to pick them up ONLY when you're at full health.
•You can get back to full health by healing at your ship! It never tells you, but you can just do that!
•The whole malfunction system is just not worth it. If you've progressed enough that you'd be upset to ruin your run, stop picking up things that carry a risk of malfunction.
•You don't need to wait for an upgrade to open those stone gate things. There's a hidden switch you can shoot somewhere near them.
•Save a few chests for later so you can open them before the boss to get better weapons based on your increased weapon proficiency.
•Especially hard non-boss enemies in biome 1? The answer is melee. (Once you unlock it.)
•You don't need to horde ether for later biomes; after biome 2 you unlock daily challenges that are an easy way to get it.
But, can you go to the ship to sleep and heal?

lol

It doesnt cost Ether to do the challenge? I looked at that terminal wrong then.

eek

Oct 26, 2017
I'm pretty sure the animation for inxreasing your adrenaline level changed. It's now a yellow glow over the screen. Before it was red I think. And I always thought I got hit
Yeah it was red before. The red was so annoying; I always stopped what I was doing to check my health 😂

It doesnt cost Ether to do the challenge? I looked at that terminal wrong then.
It's free. You can do it once (no retries). You get 5 ether for getting to the portal at the end

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I just did it! Got a pylon and a decent set of items and got the keys. Now for the boss.
Hehe boss.
Lol. The challenge rooms are identified with stars so you know if you want to do them or not. They aren't really in disguise.
That being said the required one in the 5th biome always gets tense for me, but I rocked it this time.

The music is so intense too lmao make it so sweaty. Perfect playing there. Damn this game is like destiny levels in Terms of tone and gameplay.

shodgson8

Shinra Employee
Aug 22, 2018
Got it. Thanks for the response.

#Stability?

While I haven't experienced many issues it sounds like the game could use it!

Once again two quick queries on tackling biome 3…

I have extended the bridge/energy beam thingy. I assume this shorterns the run to the boss a small amount?

Also are people generally powering up in biome 1&2, just 1 or just heading straight to 3 and chancing it? I cleared just 1 on first first real attempt at 3 but it certainly adds on 30+ mins to do so.

eek

Oct 26, 2017
Also are people generally powering up in biome 1&2, just 1 or just heading straight to 3 and chancing it? I cleared just 1 on first first real attempt at 3 but it certainly adds on 30+ mins to do so.
The enemies on 3 are so different that it might be worth it to just go from 1 to 3 to learn how to dodge their attacks. Once you feel comfortable grab a couple of artifacts, parasites, etc. and then go to 3 and crush it (or just crush it directly). Both are viable depending on how good you get

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
Weapon Traits are, secretly, the GOAT progression in this game. A weapon with the right trait makes or breaks a run, IMO.

Hollowseeker with Serrated Projectiles II and/or Portal Beam pretty much trivializes mob combat.

Thug Larz

Designer @ Bungie
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I'm pretty sure the animation for inxreasing your adrenaline level changed. It's now a yellow glow over the screen. Before it was red I think. And I always thought I got hit
Ooooh, this is huge if true. I thought that was a very strange design decision. It popped out to me in the first 5-10 minutes of gameplay. After 20 hours, still always thought I was getting hit when Adrenaline increase happened. Great change.

eek

Oct 26, 2017
Weapon Traits are, secretly, the GOAT progression in this game. A weapon with the right trait makes or breaks a run, IMO.

Hollowseeker with Serrated Projectiles II and/or Portal Beam pretty much trivializes mob combat.
When you unlock a II does it only show up as II in the future?

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
After finishing the game I don't have any question about the gunplay, lore, story etc. I just have one question.

why the fuck is ether purple lmao? Like it's such a mild oversight but still large enough to be annoying. I'm of course referring to the fact that it looks the same as maligned objects from afar. Why not make Ether like, I don't know pink or something? Lol

eek

Oct 26, 2017
After finishing the game I don't have any question about the gunplay, lore, story etc. I just have one question.

why the fuck is ether purple lmao? Like it's such a mild oversight but still large enough to be annoying. I'm of course referring to the fact that it looks the same as maligned objects from afar. Why not make Ether like, I don't know pink or something? Lol
Yeah it should be blue at the very least (those are basically auto pickups w/ no downsides)

Deleted member 50232

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2018

it's the same as the keys and the weapon proficiency upgrades which are both blue.

eek

Oct 26, 2017
This is also me, I can get him to phase 3 but my reaction to his melee dash are too slow, taking a break for a bit now.
He only melees 1-2 times in a row so if you want to play it super safe just stop shooting and wait for him to melee twice, shoot him, then wait and wait for him to melee so you can focus 100% on dodging

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017

+1 to this lol.

Kami

Jul 13, 2020
Installed the update, got stuck in the starting room on my very first run. First time experiencing this bug.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Just kicked ass to 2nd boss. 3rd world looks nice, although it was a bit overkill to put 3-4 of those sword teleporters in one arena. T_T :D

GazRB

Oct 25, 2017

yeah I am yawning my way through new game + with the Hollowseeker. Definitely going to need to try a different gun.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017

Lmao AGREED

Wong Kar Why

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
just got my first death outside the opening tutorial. was nearing the end of biome 6 when the game decided that i should die and spawned several big-hitting bullet sponges. my guns and melee were barely doing any damage.

this game is fun as hell. i'm gonna start worrying less about surviving and just experiment with other weapon types.

Camells

The Forgotten One
Oct 25, 2017
Got to the "End" now the ride begins i'll probably Platinum this one.
Loved the game the story is pretty much what I suspected it would be.

Integrity upgrades, life steal artifact and the pylon make this game way easier (broken gun all around), made my way to the end of the game with 1 death (the "obligatory" Welcome to Dark Souls one) and i just discovered i was supposed to die more so now i have to do some runs to get some interactions done.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Got to the "End" now the ride begins i'll probably Platinum this one.
Loved the game the story is pretty much what I suspected it would be.

Integrity upgrades, life steal artifact and the pylon make this game way easier (broken gun all around), made my way to the end of the game with 1 death (the "obligatory" Welcome to Dark Souls one) and i just discovered i was supposed to die more so now i have to do some runs to get some interactions done.

Holy crap. Well done!

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
22 hours and 6 deaths later the credits are rolling. I don`t know what the hell was going on in the game but I know I will be playing this many more hours. What a phenomenal game.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Believe you pop it before gaining any health and it will double the gain. So if you are about to say pick up multiple HP items in a cleared room, activate the item first and you can get topped off pretty quick, plus once maxed those others will add to your total pool upgrade.

Also can work well with certain parasites or whatnot that make currency heal you, or melee kills, etc... Pop it during combat and you can potentially get topped off fast after kills with that build.

Basically you get 60s of double healing values.
Neat, thanks! I honestly feel so bummed when I lose health now, with the knowledge that at full health, health items go towards increasing your health bar.

Oct 29, 2017
Oh sweet, found a bed to rest in to regain health!
Bed causes enemies to appear.
Enemies immediately swarm and kill me.
LOL. :(

Spacejaws

"This guy are sick" of the One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
sure but when I enter a room with hazards and across the entire way I see a purple drop I have no idea if it's an ether or a shitty maligned item, which is a weird design choice.
I've got a suspicion that might be a design choice. That you see something that is out of your way and not really know if it's a terribad maligned item or a piece of Ether that there's almost no reason to avoid.

coldsagging

AVALANCHE
Oct 27, 2017
Shit. Did biomes 5 and 6 and died at the boss, boss question.

how do you hurt Ophion? I got him to the second phase but couldn't properly figure it out. I was shooting the orbs around him but wasn't that effective

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019

how do you hurt Ophion? I got him to the second phase but couldn't properly figure it out. I was shooting the orbs around him but wasn't that effective

Shooting The orbs spawn red points on his body that you have to shoot to damage him.

thedavid

Oct 27, 2017
Midland, MI
I'm just not sure if this is the game for me, at least at this point.

As a father to three, the youngest of which is 1 year old - the no save thing means I'll be putting this into rest mode on a very regular basis. When I get a chance to play, it's usually something that I can do for 30-45 minutes at a time.

I also just had surgery on my right thumb late last month, and while other games seem to not cause an effect to it, Returnal makes my thumb sore and achy. Think it's all the dashing - I'll have to look at remapping buttons.

I love hard games. Love them. Bloodborne was my game of the generation for PS4. Beaten other souls games, and souls-like games like Nioh. I think for this one, though, I may have met my match. I don't feel like i'm making much progress between runs.

At the moment, I can clear out through to the boss in biome 1 repeatedly. Have tried it 5 times or so now - I can clear phases 1-2 no problem, but I just can't seem to get that timing down for his little slash thing. The closest I got is the first time I tried, he was within 1 sword hit or just a few bullets. Every other time, it seems like I miss it by a mile.

I've died an embarrassing number of times at this point. This game has till RE 8 comes out for me and if I'm still putzing around like this, I'll just move on. It's a shame, I loved housemarque games.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I thought the same thing until it happened.

I was winding down a run for the night and decided to give the boss another shot. No expectations, but then out of no where, I managed to squeak it out with a sliver of health left.

Hang in there. The run will come.

Yup, I was the same way. Then on a run everything just clicked, fell in place. I had enough Ether and orbs to do a respawn and get the astronaut. RNG was kinda decent too. Was able to clear a couple of negative malignants.

Whats wild is I gave up on Bloodborne alot sooner than this, for the same reason. Now I'm tempted to give that another shot.
Oh sweet, found a bed to rest in to regain health!
Bed causes enemies to appear.
Enemies immediately swarm and kill me.
LOL. :(
Yeah, the first time I found was I was like oh nic....oh shit!!! lmao. I survived it but havent had a bed appear again since.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017

First you need to shoot the blue orbs. This will make his weak spots appear (think of Resident Evil ;-).

Nov 19, 2019
I posted this question once before but never got an answer. It related to getting around one of the arena rooms in biome 5.

at one point I came to a giant open air room. It is circular with ledges around the outside edge, and a tall tower structure in the center, with what looks like a telescope on top.

There are a lot of goodies on the top of that center tower, including one of those data cube things, but for the life of me I cannot figure out how to get up there.

Anyone figure out how to climb that? I have all mobility upgrades unlocked but ultimately just gave up and moved on.

tacocat

Alt account
Banned
Jan 17, 2020
if you see a weapon with serrated pick it up to unlock it for future guns

daily challenge showed me how OP some weapons can get
Thanks for the tip!

Here are some things the game doesn't explain that I failed to notice for several hours:
•You can heal by sleeping at your ship.
•Weapon perks that are unlocked by use are saved between runs, so unlocking them is very worth it.
•You can heal! By sleeping at your ship! It's free!
•If the game feels too fundamentally difficult, try putting Aim Assist to high; it's the only thing you can really do to adjust the difficulty.
•Also setting the game to always-sprint helps to avoid some controller clunkiness.
•You can actually heal, by sleeping at your ship! As much as you want!
•Pick up the health boosts even if you're at full health; they'll expand your health bar. In fact, when you get serious about a boss run, you'll want to pick them up ONLY when you're at full health.
•You can get back to full health by healing at your ship! It never tells you, but you can just do that!
•The whole malfunction system is just not worth it. If you've progressed enough that you'd be upset to ruin your run, stop picking up things that carry a risk of malfunction.
•You don't need to wait for an upgrade to open those stone gate things. There's a hidden switch you can shoot somewhere near them.
•Save a few chests for later so you can open them before the boss to get better weapons based on your increased weapon proficiency.
•Especially hard non-boss enemies in biome 1? The answer is melee. (Once you unlock it.)
•You don't need to hoard ether for later biomes; after biome 2 you unlock daily challenges that are an easy way to get it.
Oh yeah! This is the kind of stuff I love about this forum, thanks so much for taking the time to write up these tips. Hopefully some other users will see this and take not too. I can't wait to play this tonight after work, thanks again for all the tips!

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
Installed the update, got stuck in the starting room on my very first run. First time experiencing this bug.
That bug seems to happen very often if you skip any cutscenes, even the mini cutscenes. I can trigger the bug almost every time by skipping the cutscene of climbing out of the ship, in the very first room. I can't believe that they didn't fix that in the update, but it's easy to avoid. Just make sure to not skip anything.

Takuhi

Oct 27, 2017
Oh yeah! This is the kind of stuff I love about this forum, thanks so much for taking the time to write up these tips. Hopefully some other users will see this and take not too. I can't wait to play this tonight after work, thanks again for all the tips!

My pleasure, I hope you enjoy the game. I really got into it, which is strange, because I absolute suck at it. It took me 26 runs to beat the FIRST BOSS and yet I just can't stay stop playing it.

Shryke

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah... encountered a crash when I died to the 4th boss and I was just resurrecting in the respawn room. I think that was a bug and not the system itself. Been playing for 15 hrs with no crashing up until now. It was a bad run anyways.

Oct 25, 2017
Carbine is the best weapon in this game, completely messed up my run in the last area by trying something different. I'm sure if you level them up and unlock other upgrades they are better, but I don't think it was the time for me to make that move.