• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

smocaine

Oct 30, 2019
https://twitter.com/libretro/status/1326519063972098051
You could already do this on Xbox One, but it's good to get confirmation that it works on XSX/S, too.

Here's some guides on how to activate developer mode;
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/xbox-apps/devkit-activation
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-activate-dev-mode-your-xbox-one-console

It costs $19 for an individual license, and you can switch between your main/dev account.
With the power of these new consoles, especially the CPUs, this looks like a really attractive option for an emulation box.

And RetroArch is adding a PS2 core soon (PCSX2), so you'll be able to play PS2 games on your Xbox console!

Here's some bigger YouTube channels covering this feature, installation, emulator compatibility and performance, etc.

Last edited:

tomofthepops

Oct 27, 2017
So you can switch between Dev mode and retail without losing any data right ? So for example I can have my Normal account with retail games and switch to the Dev mode without consequences ?

Woodsey

Oct 29, 2017
iirc I signed up for a free Developer account on my old xbox, anyone know if this carries over to my new console or if its linked to the device?

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
Man the Xbox really is a killer back compat console.

This is a joke. Emulation is super cool though

OP
OP
smocaine

smocaine

Oct 30, 2019
So you can switch between Dev mode and retail without losing any data right ? So for example I can have my Normal account with retail games and switch to the Dev mode without consequences ?

Yes, everything will still be there when you switch back. You can switch as much as you like, the only outright negatives are that you have to reboot to switch between the modes, which was kinda slow on Xbox One, but I'm sure is alleviated by the SSD in X/S somewhat.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Yes, everything will still be there when you switch back. You can switch as much as you like, the only outright negatives are that you have to reboot to switch between the modes, which was kinda slow on Xbox One, but I'm sure is alleviated by the SSD in X/S somewhat.

Sad thing you can't run comercial games in dev mode, if not, this would be perfect

If I can just switch between them, that's no big deal at all. The Series X is quick.

I'll be able to play PS2 games on my Xbox before my PS5 can do it.

Imagine that...LOL

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Am I really about to buy a dev account when I have several devices that can already do this?

The answer is yes

Dec 14, 2017
I'm not very familiar with retroarch, what's the high level steps of getting it running on a series s? And the Xbox dev account is 19$ a year?

OP
OP
smocaine

smocaine

Oct 30, 2019
I'm not very familiar with retroarch, what's the high level steps of getting it running on a series s? And the Xbox dev account is 19$ a year?

You basically download the Dev Mode app on your Xbox from the store, set it up, and then load everything onto the console via remote access on your PC. There's guides on YouTube that are like 10 minutes long that go from nothing, to playing emulated games on the console. Doesn't take long at all. I'm sure retro/emulation channels like MVG will be all over this is the next couple days with more up to date guides.

And no, it's a one time purchase.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised to see someone compiling a RPCS3 build. It should be able to run quite a few PPU-only games at the very least.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
Awesome, I was going to ask about this. As a Playstation fan from before 2013, it's beyond frustrating to see how Sony treats their legacy, so being able to run more* Playstation games on XSX than the PS5 is worth noting. Also, does loading games directly from CD, like for Sega CD and Saturn, work on the Xbox version of Retroarch?

*there was a cubic assload of PS4 games, so I'm not actually certain PS1+PS2+PSP adds up to more. Hopefully Retroarch gets an RPCS3 core some day

Deleted member 4874

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone tried it out? I tried running N64 Ocarina of Time on an Xbox One X and it wasn't great. Now my Shield Tv is my emulation machine. (I own all the games I emulate, btw)

Dec 21, 2017
Translate this for me:

1: Does this mean any disks I own for the PS2/GCN would work on an XSX through emulation?
2: What does putting an Xbone into Dev mode mean for features? No gamepass?
3: Will this be removed anytime soon?

MetalKhaos

Oct 31, 2017
Wasn't aware this was a thing on One X, but I'm going to pick up that dev account once I can get ahold of a Series X.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
And RetroArch is adding a PS2 core soon, so you'll be able to play PS2 games on your Xbox console!
Got any more info on this? Last I checked Retroarch just had Play! As its PS2 emulator and it's AWFUL in compatibility and pretty much not worth it.

Have to say, I NEVER would've thought to be considering an XBox but between this and BC, I'm very intrigued. Only other thing I wish it could do was run Steam/access and play my Steam library.

OP
OP
smocaine

smocaine

Oct 30, 2019

thaivo

Nov 2, 2017
What about getting Dolphin running? That would be a dream. F-Zero would be glorious!

smurfx

Oct 25, 2017
does dev mode give you full access to the cpu and gpu? if so then the series x would be a powerhouse emulation machine but i kinda doubt you will.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't get the SX to force the update it's looking for. Will keep looking.

Ignore this. Go to console info in system settings hit lb rb lt rt to show developer menu. In menu check developer mode and it will reboot into dev mode without whatever non-existent update it seems to want

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
I don't think the Series S/X would have trouble with Dolphin/PCSX2, the problem is, the Dolphin core in RA is pretty outdated.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Alright, checked NES and PS1, found out I need to place the bios somewhere. Didn't do any configuration but I mean, it's retroarch and it's on Xbox.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland

MGS running on SX

Mario 64

Both done right out of the box so to speak. No tweaks to the config or anything.

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
I should have lying around a 256 GB external SSD, excited to try this out tomorrow (Dreamcast, GameCube and N64/PS1). Maybe we could share a config somewhere too, with some opinions on shaders to use and relevant settings (some video driver aren't really working for certain cores)

Maybe even try to run some homebrew of my own lol

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I should have lying around a 256 GB external SSD, excited to try this out tomorrow (Dreamcast, GameCube and N64/PS1). Maybe we could share a config somewhere too, with some opinions on shaders to use and relevant settings (some video driver aren't really working for certain cores)

Maybe even try to run some homebrew of my own lol

please report back!

Myself

Nov 4, 2017
WTF?! Are you telling me this ancient prophecy I heard years ago of 'retail
Xbox units can become dev kits' is actually a thing? I thought it was stuff of legend.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda funny MS is going to make more money off of PS BC than Sony will while providing $0 in support for it.

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
FUCKING FUCK YES

I sware to go if they get ps2 working and Champions of Norrath runs on this thing, I'll give so much to the devs

Edit: it says Dreamcast...

MvC2? Do we think that would run at intended performance?