• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
Like I said earlier, I succumbed to the urge.

GMOBn1yXEAA-BLG

Gong

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
My v1 had that while using the d-pad ocasionaly. Happened at least once per session. Have no idea if it was software or hardware related, but my v2 does not have it.

Interesting. Maybe there was something up with the membrane on your v1 to cause that?

This rarely happens for me on main menus for me after exiting a game. I suspect that it has to do with the sticks - they seem prone to dust intrusion. I blow them out like an NES cart from time to time and it seems to have helped.

Yeah, it hasn't happened since, hope I'm not dusty myself!

I was going to go into the actual device and have a look, but I've grabbed a pair of replacement sticks that I'm planning to drop in and see what happens.

RobbRivers

Jan 3, 2018
I hate sticks on the rg 35xxH, the worst part is hardly any review appointed that Sticks are not 360 degrees, instead of that, they are 8 cardinal directions.

It is bad as hell for 3d platformers and for driving games 😓

Has the rg556 got the same problem?

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
So it looks like the miyoo a30 isn't as bad as reviewed by Russ. Miyoo screwed up some settings in RA by leaving some filters on which Russ brute forced by OC instead of turning them off. Still not as powerful as the 28xx but the delta isn't as big now. Hope he re-reviews it soon.

Jan 29, 2018

mableguy

Jan 5, 2022
It looks slick but very pricey. Also I'd be curious to see what (if anything) it can do that the Odin 2 can't. Odin 2 is mostly software limited rather than hardware limited as far as I can tell.

Also that flat back makes it look not that comfortable to hold for too long.

I agree with the flatness, it has an ergonomic grip available too. I don't know how much more powerful is the chip vs Odin 2. You may be right and doesn't make a difference.

genericbrand

Oct 28, 2017
Odin 2 and Pocket S, I'm most interested in what they can do once Cassia is released. On the Discord they have screenshots showing Steam and Rockstar launcher running. If they perform well at the sub 10w level, because I mostly prefer quiet gaming with less graphically intensive games, at 350 grams the Pocket S would be pretty ideal for me while travelling train/plane. There's one person on youtube that had like one benchmark and performance at 15w and was like 20% better than the Odin 2 for about a minute until it throttled to be the same as the Odin 2. If all I care about is weight but nice display and sub 10w for Cassia, Pocket S not so bad

uzit88

Chicken Chaser
Oct 30, 2017
Where's the best place to purchase a Miyoo Mini Plus in the Uk please ? DrioX seems to be out of stock on them 😕

Been using delta on my iPhone and played about 16 hours of Pokemon Gold on 2 days but I want to play it again on a larger screen/physical buttons :)

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Where's the best place to purchase a Miyoo Mini Plus in the Uk please ? DrioX seems to be out of stock on them 😕

Been using delta on my iPhone and played about 16 hours of Pokemon Gold on 2 days but I want to play it again on a larger screen/physical buttons :)

I've bought three (two for gifts), one from DrioX, and two from AliExpress. First Ali purchase was from Cutesliving Store and the second was from Miyoo Official Store. Both Ali consoles arrived within 2 weeks with no extra charges.

If you don't want to order from China, DrioX never stay out of stock for long. Just keep checking or sign up for restock notifications.

edit: also, Cutesliving threw in a really good carrying case (but it's not mentioned on the listing, so don't count on it). DrioX threw in a really crap carrying case and used it instead of the original box, and Miyoo just sent the box. Cutesliving also have the option of an SD card full of ROMs, which isn't worth getting.

Last edited:

shorodei

Feb 21, 2022
Give me some options :) I was thinking <=125. But if you told me "if you spent a little more you could get this which is much better" I would consider it.

Depends on if you want to play 16:9 or 4:3 systems.

For 4:3, the standard choice at that price is Retroid Pocket 2S. A couple of other unique options around $80 (but can play almost the same systems as the 2S) are Powkiddy RGB30, and Anbernic RG Arc. All are great for different systems.

For 16:9, I think you should go a little over for Retroid Pocket 4 at $150.

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019
I posted my thoughts over in the Cloud devices thread but will repost here. I was eyeing an Odin 2 but went with the Edge due to the AMOLED and 120/144Hz screen. For content that supports that aspect ratio and refresh rate (i.e. GeForce Now) it looks and plays absolutely amazing.

So I bought a Razer Edge since it was $300 at Amazon. I've always been interested in the device but held off due to the initial price. Some quick thoughts:

Love
Much more powerful device. It's not the latest and greatest anymore but the chipset is much more powerful than my G Cloud (as expected). Native Android games like GTA Definitive and Wreckfest run very smoothly without any hiccups. There's also some games that just are not compatible with the G Cloud (i.e. COD Warzone) that play just fine on the Edge.

128 GB UFS 3.1 storage. Larger storage and faster read/write. It's noticeably quicker when installing larger apps or moving around large files.

Buttons are micro switches. They give a satisfying "click" when pressed. There's also two additional programmable buttons that I actually find myself using quite often.Triggers are also noticeably smoother with less resistance compared to my G Cloud.

Dedicated screenshot/video button. Just makes it a little more convenient to take a screenshot/video with a single button press.

The AMOLED screen, it's gorgeous. With a FHD+ resolution and a refresh rate of up to 144Hz (you can set it to 120Hz or 60Hz as well) it makes GFN games look and run amazing on the small screen.

WiFi 6E. I haven't had any issues with any of my other devices when it comes to streaming on WiFi 5 but having 6 is nice.

Mixed
It's obviously a phone screen strapped to a detachable controller. It does seem like some thought was put into the design though and there are gaps in each side to account for the sound. It also does feel pretty solid and I haven't noticed any give/flex when playing.

The aspect ratio, it's a wide screen. This isn't an issue for apps that support a resolution for said aspect ratio (i.e. Moonlight, GFN, native Android games) but anything that is displayed in 16:9 (i.e. xCloud, Luna) results in a large portion of the screen being occupied by black bars. It's basically a portable ultra wide.

Fan noise. The device has active cooling that has a noticeable whine when it spins up. Probably won't notice when you're playing but during quiet moments it's definitely there.

Joysticks. These are very much like Switch joysticks and are small with little travel. They're not bad but make it harder to make precise movements due to said travel.

Form factor. Like I said, it's a wide device. It definitely doesn't fit in the hand as nicely when compared to other devices. If I were to play this for more than an hour I can definitely see my hands getting cramped.

Why Razer why?!
Screen has curved corners. Probably due to how this screen was sourced but it has curved corners which doesn't make any sense at all.

Front facing camera. I don't think anyone will ever use this. They should have (if possible) opted out from including this if it meant lowering the price slightly.

Battery drain. The controller drains battery even when the device is asleep. They've released a couple of the updates in the past to reduce this but it still drains like 10 to 15 percent a day just sitting there. My G Cloud for comparison drains like 2 to 4 percent per day. I usually just turn the Razer off at the end of the day to avoid draining the battery otherwise I have to charge it every couple of days. I did just disable location services and am wondering if that would help any with the battery drain. Will keep an eye on it the next day or so.

Closing Thoughts
Overall I like the device and it has great strengths but also some very big weaknesses. Overall the G Cloud is still a better streaming device: much better battery life, more widely supported aspect ratio, more comfortable/better joysticks. I will say that the AMOLED screen with 120Hz does make native Android gaming and GFN look amazing though. The added power also makes it more appealing for those into emulation and native Android gaming.

Size comparison:

Direct screenshots (GTA3 Definitive). Both with the resolution sliders at half way. The Razer runs very smoothly without any noticeable hiccups. The G Cloud runs fairly smoothly although there are noticeable FPS drops/stutter when there are a lot of objects on screen or things get hectic:
The Edge is on sale for $230 at Newegg and $250 at Amazon for anyone interested.

ArchAngel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What did you do to me? Just drunk before the holiday but ordered a Retroid Pocket 2S as my first Retroid device. I don't NEED it. I have a 351v, MM+ and Odin 2 but somehow I felt like I need to try this 😂

Is the 2s a good horizontal device for 16 bit needs?

Wonky Mump

Oct 30, 2017

I was just looking up places to buy one since DroiX is oos and found it showing in stock here:

uk.whatgeek.com

MIYOO Mini Plus Game Console

MIYOO Mini Plus is a well-made, reliable game console that will fit into your pocket. It has a 3.5-inch full-lamination screen with a resolution of 640*680p. MIYOO Mini Plus lasts for about 5-6 hours thanks to its built-in 3000mAh battery. Moreover, you can add your own games through the...

Actually, looks like they aren't UK based as the shipping page says it takes 5-15 days for delivery.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Can't decide if I want to bring my Steam Deck or just my RP3+ on a 5 day work trip next week. Steam Deck would let me continue playing SaGa Emerald Beyond but it's a good bit more bulky and I'd be bringing it in a hard case, where the RP3+ is pocketable.

butalala

Nov 24, 2017
Can't decide if I want to bring my Steam Deck or just my RP3+ on a 5 day work trip next week. Steam Deck would let me continue playing SaGa Emerald Beyond but it's a good bit more bulky and I'd be bringing it in a hard case, where the RP3+ is pocketable.
Better buy a new handheld to bring along instead, that will make the decision easier

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States

Better buy a new handheld to bring along instead, that will make the decision easier
Now is the time to pick up that Odin 2.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8f19jWUVVE&ab_channel=RetroGameCorps

EvaUnit787

Aug 6, 2023
Well I ordered the orange rg28xx even though I bough a rg35xx-H 2 months ago and an rg35xx+ last year. I already had a Miyoo Mini (og) and RP3+. I honestly have to say the one I have played the least and like the least is the RP3+ because it is just does not feel great in your hands, too thin. I got the grip but I hate how it looks, why not make it like that from the get go?

I honestly think how good the output and review from this channel have affected how interested I have become in these devices.

blast0rama

Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore, Maryland
I honestly think how good the output and review from this channel have affected how interested I have become in these devices.

I could not agree more.

Russ's videos are well put together, don't waste your time, never feel like they're beholden to internet trends, and he has credibility through how he will always discuss the pros and cons of a device.

My wallet sure hates him though.

cosi

Jun 9, 2023
Looking at models I'm leaning towards Retroid Pocket 4 Pro. Thoughts on this one? pros/cons?

Dermee

Dec 16, 2017

EvaUnit787

Aug 6, 2023
Looking at models I'm leaning towards Retroid Pocket 4 Pro. Thoughts on this one? pros/cons?
I have a RP3+ and I think they are similar enough to say that although the software and the games it can play are great, and I am sure RP4P is a bit better, I personally did not like how thing it was and how unplayable it felt without the grip, which I don't necessarily like.

With most of these handhelds the form factor can be weird and sometime make the hand cramp a bit after long session, but the RP3+ was literally the first I cannot properly grip a handheld at all. I am really not sure why vs all these smaller weirder handhelds.

nightgolf

Nov 1, 2017
NJ
Watch Russ' review from retrogamecorp. It is pretty comprehensive and should give you all the info you need.

www.youtube.com

Retroid Pocket 4 Pro Review: PS2 and GameCube for $199!

The Retroid Pocket 4 Pro is here, and it provides an impressive amount of emulation performance at its $199 (plus shipping) price tag. Let's check it out an...

i got one pretty early in the run, but i still haven't finished setting it up. it's definitely my ADHD kicking in and wanting to make sure I don't screw anything up, but the few ps2 games i've played (which is the gen i basically bought it for) have been pretty sick.

Garou

Oct 25, 2017
So I guess a bunch of sales are coming in a couple of hours on AliExpress.

Last edited:

RobbRivers

Jan 3, 2018
Are there any coupons for retroid 4 pro? Are the sticks full 360 degrees or 8 cardinal directions? Bought the rg35xxH, but with this problem in the stick… I'd like to get another model…

RP4proo seems a good candidate with the grip. Did they fix all the issues it had? Is there a Rp5 rumored soon?

I was checking retroid historical launches and Rp3 and rp3+ where launched in a 90d window… what a bummer for early adopters! Plus version was significantly better 😅

I don't want this happens to me with the rp4pro…

Do they have summer sales or similar? Thx!

Gong

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
I'm kinda tempted to pick up the R36S from the AliExpress sale due to all the videos I've watched and it being like £30 delivered, but then I look at the four handhelds I gave and decide against it 😄

I definitely put my interest in all of this down to Russ @ RGC. His videos are always so laidback, his guides (both written and video form) are superb, his reviews aren't afraid to give criticism where appropriate, and you always come away having learnt something new. I know I always do for sure.

Now, about that Odin 2...

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
I'm kinda tempted to pick up the R36S from the AliExpress sale due to all the videos I've watched and it being like £30 delivered, but then I look at the four handhelds I gave and decide against it 😄

I definitely put my interest in all of this down to Russ @ RGC. His videos are always so laidback, his guides (both written and video form) are superb, his reviews aren't afraid to give criticism where appropriate, and you always come away having learnt something new. I know I always do for sure.

Now, about that Odin 2...
Tell me about it. I've watched his videos for years, but until last month, for some reason, all I had was an unused RP2+.

Now, suddenly I have an RGB30, Miyoo Mini Plus.
Also an RG28xx and another MM+ in the post.

I really (don't) need to watch that Odin 2 Video.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Russ is great but I do find him more positive towards these devices compared to my own opinion when I receive them, so I factor that in now when I watch him.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Russ is great but I do find him more positive towards these devices compared to my own opinion when I receive them, so I factor that in now when I watch him.
Not as bad as TechDweeb. I love his videos, but he's just so positive about everything. Maybe that WHY I love his videos!

Also, why do I still want an A30? Hoping Russ will do an updated review.

Gong

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Tell me about it. I've watched his videos for years, but until last month, for some reason, all I had was an unused RP2+.

Ha, I know that feeling all too well. RGB30, MM+, RG35XX H and a RG35XX Plus gathering dust due to the MM+. The Odin 2 just looks sensational, but thankfully it's a bit too pricey for my budget, and I have my Steam Deck. Whether that's enough, I'm not so sure.

I adore the RGB30 and the MM+, they've become my go-to devices. Is the second MM+ for someone, or you just fancy having another?

We can form a prayer circle to ward off the temptation of the Odin 2 together...*

We'll need all the help we can get, dammit Russ!

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Ha, I know that feeling all too well. RGB30, MM+, RG35XX H and a RG35XX Plus gathering dust due to the MM+. The Odin 2 just looks sensational, but thankfully it's a bit too pricey for my budget, and I have my Steam Deck. Whether that's enough, I'm not so sure.

I adore the RGB30 and the MM+, they've become my go-to devices. Is the second MM+ for someone, or you just fancy having another?

We can form a prayer circle to ward off the temptation of the Odin 2 together...*

We'll need all the help we can get, dammit Russ!
The second MM+ is really so I can load each up differently and not have to constantly switch cards - which I am constantly launching across the room when I eject them and am terrified of losing. Also, I love it so much, I want a spare, lol.

I'm the same with the Odin. I also have a Steam Deck, but I would love to have something smaller that will comfortably handle all PS2 stuff. Luckily, I really can't afford it right now, anyway. I plan to hold off until the next step - i.e. when smaller, cheaper devices can do PS2. Ideally RGB30 size.

Gong

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
The second MM+ is really so I can load each up differently and not have to constantly switch cards - which I am constantly launching across the room when I eject them and am terrified of losing. Also, I love it so much, I want a spare, lol.

I'm the same with the Odin. I also have a Steam Deck, but I would love to have something smaller that will comfortably handle all PS2 stuff. Luckily, I really can't afford it right now, anyway. I plan to hold off until the next step - i.e. when smaller, cheaper devices can do PS2. Ideally RGB30 size.

Hehe, I'm exactly the same 😄 I love the black MM+ I have, but that white one sure does look pretty... Is pure madness, but considering I got my MM+ for just over £30, it brings it right into the "why not have another?" category. Miyoo are evil!

Oh, a device that has the RGB30 form factor but can do up to PS2 would be amazing. That would be impossible to resist.

RobotHaus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mars University
From everything I've seen it's a marked improvement over the RP3+. I have the RP3+ and I love it, however even I am tempted to upgrade. The ability to play Gamecube and PS2 in higher res is super tempting. I might hold out for the 5, but I think a lot of it depends on what exactly you think you'll be playing on it.

Do you have a targeted range of games you'd like to play? That would help in offering suggestions.

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I feel you. I have a ROG Ally and an Odin 2, but I convinced myself that I needed a RG28XX for that pocketable size.
Thing is, I really don't. I am a stay at home dad (recently laid off) and on the occasions where I go out, I always take a backpack anyways because I use it as a diaper bag for my youngest kids. It has always been very easy for me to slip a handheld in that bag.
But I looked at the RG28XX and got nostalgic for having a tiny GBA Micro in my pocket when I was working at a movie theater 15 years ago and I could just slip it out of my pocket and play Final Fantasy on breaks. So now that's in the mail.

etiira

Oct 25, 2017

I definitely find that he values different qualities in a device than I do, and have become aware of some of his blindspots.

He seems genuine though, through and through. Both his guides and reviews have absolutely been the most important factor in me reinvigorating my own love of handheld gaming.

That said, now that I've had a chance to use many of the newer devices, I've narrowed down to a single home device and an "errand" device for 90% of my gaming. The Steam Deck OLED is a joy to use and covers nearly everything I'd want to play at home, and is just the right size to bring a TV-like experience to my hands.

Funnily enough, my errand device isn't even something he's reviewed! I needed something extremely pocketable (either micro form-factor or clamshell) and for this, I just need a really good experience playing some comfort games designed for handheld rather than emulating home consoles. GBA is my #1 want here and DS was #2, so I went back to the DS Lite as my everyday outside device with zero regrets.

I still have my micro as backup in case I need something ultra-portable, but would really love a true successor with a slightly larger and brighter screen(3:2 aspect ratio, 2.4"+ screen, similar size, bonus points for oled or repairable). GBA has some of my favorite forms of metroid, pokemon, castlevania, and advance wars, and DS is full of unique all-time favorites I can't play satisfyingly on emulated hardware (Meteos, Ouendan, Canvas Curse).