• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
Production companies weaponizing a subset of an IP's fans to lobby for studio work is gross.

Zack and Deb's Cruel and Unusual films/Stone Quarry already got their shot with the IP and you guys blew it (similar to what happened with another IP and T-Street Productions (Rian and Ram Bergman)). Good luck trying to convince studio executives that your movies horrendous legs in the box office in particular the historic second weekend/weeklies dropoffs should not be interpreted as anything but fans flat-out rejecting your vision for the IP.

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
Aside from the fact that this isn't even true, do you people REALLY have to make fucking EVERYTHING about TLJ? It's a goddamn fucking illness at this point. Let it go.

BvS dropped 69% from OW to 2nd weekend
TLJ also dropped 69%(68.9) from OW to 2nd weekend

. . . . i thought it was poetic that two of the most divisive films this site has ever endured have almost the same dropped rate % in their second weekend.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
BvS dropped 69% from OW to 2nd weekend
TLJ also dropped 69%(68.9) from OW to 2nd weekend

. . . . i thought it was poetic that two of the most divisive films this site has ever endured have almost the same dropped rate % in their second weekend.

TLJ had a funky release schedule, though, where one of the days of its second weekend came on Christmas Eve, which always garners far less theater traffic than the rest of the Christmas holiday. Its legs after that were actually pretty decent and far, far better than BvS. Outside of that 2nd weekend number, the two don't match up very well.

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
TLJ had a funky release schedule, though, where one of the days of its second weekend came on Christmas Eve, which always garners far less theater traffic than the rest of the Christmas holiday. Its legs after that were actually pretty decent, and far, far better than BvS. Outside of that 2nd weekend number, the two don't match up very well.

I don't think that reasoning is gonna hold considering that Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle did not encounter any drop-off and actually grossed-up by +38% in the same problematic time frame.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
I don't think that reasoning is gonna hold considering that Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle did not encounter any drop-off and actually grossed-up by +38% in the same problematic time frame.

Actually, it confirms it, as Jumanji's soft opening number (36 million) was partly the result of it opening on that Christmas Eve weekend (it opened a week after TLJ). Besides, Jumanji is a freak of nature legs-wise.

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
Jumanji had a much softer opening number and is a freak of nature legs-wise.

TLJ could have been a freak of nature leg-wise too like Jumanji (and TFA) - even overcoming the box office problems posed by having Christmas Eve (Dec 24) on a Sunday - if it was the kind of film that the majority of the fans of the IP wanted to watch over again.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
TLJ could have been a freak of nature leg-wise too like Jumanji (and TFA) - even overcoming the box office problems posed by having Christmas Eve (Dec 24) on a Sunday - if it was the kind of film that the majority of the fans of the IP wanted to watch over again.

That's a separate point. You were comparing the 2nd weekend box office to make a connection between TLJ and BvS, but that 2nd weekend number was a fluke. Even the Force Awakens, champion of modern Star Wars legs, had its worst holiday showing on Christmas Eve. Rogue One had the 24th fall on a Saturday, and it grossed $15 million that day compared to $22 million on Friday the 23rd, which is generally the exact opposite of what happens.

TLJ had a good holiday week after that 2nd weekend and then had a 3rd weekend dropoff of 27%, while BvS didn't have the holiday to boost its daily numbers and still dropped another 54% on that 3rd weekend.

TLJ didn't have great legs for a SW movie, but it performed much better than BvS in that department, is all I'm saying.

Last edited:

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
That's a separate point. You were comparing the 2nd weekend box office to make a connection between TLJ and BvS, but that 2nd weekend number was a fluke. Even the Force Awakens, champion of modern Star Wars legs, had its worst holiday showing on Christmas Eve. TLJ had an excellent holiday week after that 2nd weekend and that had a 3rd weekend dropoff of 27%, while BvS didn't have the holiday to boost its daily numbers and still dropped another 54% on that 3rd weekend.

By comparison, Jumanji only have 25% 3rd weekend drop. December holiday dropoffs are well-known to be pretty forgiving. It takes a really an out-of-touch movie IP to flubbed it.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
Jumanji has stronger legs than Star-Wars. Ok.

Yes. Both Jumanji movies have relatively soft openings and then insane legs. Comparatively speaking, they even have much better legs than the Force Awakens. Star Wars movies open much, much higher and therefore can't increase their audiences week after week while Jumanji pulls in similar or even better numbers as it goes on. Star Wars movies still make a lot more overall.

Jumanji Welcome to the Jungle had an 8x multiplier over its opening weekend. If The Force Awakens had done the same, it would have grossed $2 billion in the US alone.

Last edited:

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
Yup. 2017 Christmas season is thought to be Star Wars stomping grounds and theaters are earning more bang for their buck from frickin' Jumanji.

I wrote that because 2% is not something to brag about and that has nothing to do with BvS, which was the original point of comparison. In comparison even to TLJ, BvS did a lot worse. I'm not even arguing the quality of the movies, I'm just using the numbers to compare them, and TLJ had a better run.

This thread isn't about TLJ, though, it's about the Snyderverse, and I was just saying it doesn't quite work to drag in one to equivocate it with the other, as those 2nd weekend numbers don't tell the whole story. The daily box office numbers are much more informative on how the two movies did.

Last edited:

MoonToon

Banned
Nov 9, 2018
I assume this is a reaction to WB saying that they're going "multiverse" and that AM and WW films (considered Snyderverse films) will be "Earth 1" or some shit and that Flash Point will bring upon earth 2 with the new BatMan. So basically the next step is reboot zone and Earth 1 stuff stops with AM 2/ WW 3/ Flash point. Heard they're moving that stuff to HBO max, like the Amazons show.

IDK, yall DCEU lovers and WB's plans are confusing to me. I loved AM and WW, enjoyed WW2 well enough, liked BOP and looking forward to Batz (I'm guessing Joker is in another earth as well).

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
That has nothing to do with BvS, though, which was the original point. In comparison even to TLJ, BvS did a lot worse. I'm not even arguing the quality of the movies, I'm just using the numbers to compare them, and TLJ had a better run.

This thread isn't about TLJ, though, it's about the Snyderverse, and I was just saying it doesn't quite work to drag in one in comparison to the other.

And all im just telling is that good luck to these production companies - Stone Quarry and T-Street - trying to lobby and convince studio executives to give them more money to work again in their target IP after their previous movies failed to meet the studio's earning projections. That second weekend dropoff - at least from what i was told - seems to be used in a ton of earning projections and having the % dropoff fell below expectations is a clear sign for the people who have the money that the production company failed to deliver a movie to the target audience.

So don't hold your breath waiting for a Snyder-verse extension or a Rian trilogy.

Jun 17, 2019
Weird comment in regard to Zack writing a comic with Jim Lee given that AT&T might be dumping a whole lot of people from their different areas, including DC Comics and possible WB if Rumors are holding true. There's a question if AT&T would sell the properties to other comic and book publishers like IDW or possibly to Marvel to create comics or books and then make the movies based on that. Or some other sort of thing. It's hard to say.

But I highly doubt that, given the debt that AT&T is putting on WB and DC through it's acquisition, AT&T is willing to give money to a film verse that won't rack in the numbers like Marvel. People seem to enjoy a mix of serious and silly films when it comes to superheros. This is a lot like how musicals were in the 40s and 50s, and disaster movies in the 70s and Action movies were in the 80s. They are not going to sink more money into a Universe that doesn't net them enough money.

My guess, they may do something on HBO Max, but the vast majority of the movies will be built around something way more upbeat for the most part. People after this Pandemic are not going to want Depressing and Edgelord "Ow the Edge" level movies. They are going to want things that make them feel good and warm and fuzzy. That's why Bumblebee, Jumanji, and even other upbeat films that had a goofy premise did well over the more gritty films in recent years.

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
Fuck that noise! I was all about getting a Snyder cut of Justice League, but my support dampened some after I saw the price tag. I'm still happy for him, but Jesus Christ!

OP
OP
residentgrigo

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
Thx again @Itssan17. Another happy landing for the Snyder Cult and the # is here to stay. That´s for sure. The movie drops somewhere in March and will have both a proper add campaign by WB and a fan campaign that will feature Snyder himself and multiple actors and crew members. Even it´s own Web Con and fan organised IMAX screenings. Snyder will be on a fanpodcast on Monday for example. I wonder what Netflix thinks about all of this now that they booked him for multiple projects.
EqpYTkQXAAAC8v7

Grassroots leftist movements and fanbases in general should look long and hard at the RTSC campaign and where it went. All the way to the top! A book about it has already been written. Also releasing in March and already a bestseller. It was fascinatingly enough written by a Snyder agnostic at Cinemblend who became a fan while researching. He too participiated in #RestoreTheSnyderVerse and covered it. Gooble, gobble, we accept Sean, we accept Sean, one of us, one of us.

Amazon.com: Release the Snyder Cut: The Crazy True Story Behind the Fight That Saved Zack Snyder's Justice League (9781493059034): O'Connell, Sean: Books

Amazon.com: Release the Snyder Cut: The Crazy True Story Behind the Fight That Saved Zack Snyder's Justice League (9781493059034): O'Connell, Sean: Books
DS5AnwTVMAE-cXi.jpg
tenor.gif

Edit: Used the most up to date numbers.

Last edited:

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Same here. I too felt that MoS was good, the rest was poop.
MoS is pretty awful from a fundamental level. You may feel that Zack Snyder can point a camera at something the right way and shine a light in a "cool" way-but if you mess up the ethics and moral upbringing of Clark Kent from his parents-then the foundation of your entire shared universe is poisoned from the start. It's a clown show.

This one scene in the 1978 Superman still resonates today. It's far better than anything of that waste of a time movie.

Or even All-Star Superman.

4g5zay.jpg

Last edited:

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I don't understand why these Snyder DC movies have such a weirdly fervent fanbase. I didn't hate Man of Steel, though I think the entire ending of that movie where it's nothing but disorienting action and mass destruction, is just awful. But BvS and Justice League were just straight-up bad movies, for which the best I can say is that they have a few moments that are enjoyable.

If someone thinks those movies are fine then fair enough - but enough people not only like them, but care enough about them to band together and try to "save" the "Snyderverse"? What? lol

Comparing Superman and Wonder Woman films released during the midst of the superhero film craze, to earlier MCU films starring B and C tier Marvel characters that arguably helped start it (and movies that cost $100-!50 million less to make). That's just kinda sad.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
MoS is pretty awful from a fundamental level. You may feel that Zack Snyder can point a camera at something the right way and shine a light in a "cool" way-but if you mess up the ethics and moral upbringing of Clark Kent from his parents-then the foundation of your entire shared universe is poisoned from the start. It's a clown show.

This one scene in the 1978 Superman still resonates today. It's far better than anything of that waste of a time movie.

Or even All-Star Superman.

This is still the best interpretation of the difference between real Superman and Snyder Superman I've ever seen:

512832_v2.jpg

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
All I want is for Snyder to stop mistreating some of my favorite characters so someone more competent can do good movies with them.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Thx again @Itssan17. Another happy landing for the Snyder Cult and the # is here to stay. That´s for sure. The movie drops somewhere in March and will have both a proper add campaign by WB and a fan campaign that will feature Snyder himself and multiple actors and crew members. Even it´s own Web Con and fan organised IMAX screenings. Snyder will be on a fanpodcast on Monday for example. I wonder what Netflix thinks about all of this now that they booked him for multiple projects.
EqpUpIYW4AEQxav

Grassroots leftist movements and fanbases in general should look long and hard at the RTSC campaign and where it went. All the way to the top! A book about it has already been written. Also releasing in March and already a bestseller. It was fascinatingly enough written by a Snyder agnostic at Cinemblend who became a fan while researching. He too participiated in #RestoreTheSnyderVerse and covered it. Gooble, gobble, we accept Sean, we accept Sean, one of us, one of us.

DS5AnwTVMAE-cXi.jpg
tenor.gif

I'm sorry mate but wtf are you smoking.

OP
OP
residentgrigo

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
My personal goal of 214K was passed. Way passed actually:
His design team even hid the number on shirts and all sorts of stuff. The one that Snyder uses as his Vero logo has it on the cape for example. Half of the proceedes fans raised to #RTSC went to the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention. Snyder´s personal demand for the fanbase once he jouned "officially".
Over 500k raised for AFSP as of last month.

zack-snyder-cut-run-time-painting.jpg
9xx0jfp9sh641.jpg

The original Snyder Cut, seen on the right, was 214 minutes long. The new one has at least 240 minutes of pure footage.

Edit: #ZackSnydersJusticeLeague also trended big but that was a given. It was the sister tag.

Last edited:

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
EqpYTkQXAAAC8v7

DS5AnwTVMAE-cXi.jpg
tenor.gif

Is this Zatt Murdock's DC brother?

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
At least, this thread is an entertaining trashfire, which is more than I could ever say about the movies, so there's that.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Grassroots leftist movements and fanbases in general should look long and hard at the RTSC campaign and where it went.

So, look, people's flippant willingness to compare Snyder fans or any kind of toxic fans to Trumpers is pretty shit, think that can be reasonably agreed on.

But just saying, saying that your fandom hashtag should be used as the working basis for grassroots leftist movements is, y'know, also a take.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
At this point, Im not sure why Zac Snyder has any defenders (and this is coming from someone who enjoyed 300/Watchmen). Watchmen was 2009. And look, I even had time Sucker Punch.

But my god, the idea of a DCEU is just done. Clearly WB doesn't care with WW1984 and it fitting into the timeline, and not sure bringing back Snyder or whatever it is helps at all. Also, DCEU has somehow made me hate end-credit scenes.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Genuine question, but I'd there somewhere that explains what the Snydercut is and why lots of people want to see it?

I assume it's about some movie where a studio over-ruled a popular director or something?

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI

All of this. The foundation of the DCEU is rotten.

And on top of that foundation, they immediately jumped into crossover films. WB wanted to fast forward to their own Avengers moment without doing any of the work that went into it. It wasn't earned. They opened up the universe with a Superman film and then followed it up with a film that put Superman against Batman and also introduced Wonder Woman and also introduced other heroes. It's like if Marvel released Iron Man and then followed it up with Civil War two years later.

And that's not even going into the fact that Snyder is a bad filmmaker, which of course made it all even worse.

Oct 25, 2017
So, look, people's flippant willingness to compare Snyder fans or any kind of toxic fans to Trumpers is pretty shit, think that can be reasonably agreed on.
Nah, it was actually quite apt unless you're one of those people who managed to get through school thinking that if you compare two things, you are actually saying those two things are the same in all respects.

OP
OP
residentgrigo

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
Genuine question, but I'd there somewhere that explains what the Snydercut is and why lots of people want to see it?
I assume it's about some movie where a studio over-ruled a popular director or something?
The second of the 3 seperate wiki articles on the 2017 and now 2021 film has the big picture breakdown. The introduction quote looks how it looks. I ain´t fixing it.
The 2017 film Justice League had a troubled production history. Its script and photography underwent major changes before and during production, and there was a change in directors. This resulted in the theatrical release of a version that was reported to be markedly different from how the film had been conceived of during pre-production and principal photography.[SUP][1][/SUP][SUP][2][/SUP]
Most of the changes were driven by the negative reception to the previous installments of the DC Extended Universe (DCEU) Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice and Suicide Squad.[SUP][3][/SUP] Justice League had been helmed by director Zack Snyder through most of its production, but Snyder stepped down in May 2017 during post-production following the death of his daughter, and Joss Whedon took over at that point, completing the film as an uncredited co-director. Whedon oversaw script rewrites, reshoots and other changes that added a brighter tone and more humor to the film, and cut the runtime down to 120 minutes in accordance with a mandate from Warner Bros.[SUP][3][/SUP][SUP][4][/SUP][SUP][2][/SUP] The theatrical release of Justice League was a commercial failure, and was met with a mixed reception from critics and audiences, leading Warner Bros. to re-evaluate the future of the DCEU.[SUP][5][/SUP][SUP][6][/SUP]
When details surfaced about the film's troubled production and the state of the film before Snyder stepped down, some expressed interest in the idea of releasing an alternate cut that would be more faithful to Snyder's vision for the film. Fans of Snyder's works, members of the cast and crew, and other film industry figures have petitioned for the release of this "Snyder Cut". At the time, Warner stated that they had no plans to release an alternate cut of Justice League.[SUP][7][/SUP] On May 20, 2020, Zack Snyder personally confirmed that it would be released on HBO Max as Zack Snyder's Justice League during a watch party for Man of Steel. The current date is set for 2021.[SUP][8][/SUP][SUP][9][/SUP]

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
EqpYTkQXAAAC8v7

DS5AnwTVMAE-cXi.jpg
tenor.gif

You are a fascinating person.

Also, lol "Snyder agnostic".

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
Man people really love Snyder absolutely ruining every character he touches done they?