• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I actually think this has some of the scariest stuff RE has ever had, and I wish more of the game went in that direction. Once you get past House Benviento it definitely ramps up the action and down the horror, that I agree with. But it's definitely not comparable to the mindless action of RE6.

Oct 27, 2017
I literally just played through RE6 since I dropped it back when it first came out. No, Village is way more scary than 6 ever was. It's more action oriented than 7 was sure, but Village felt like going from RE1 to RE2, more ammo, more action, still plenty messed up and scary.

PeterThePanda

Jun 10, 2020
Spain
I don't know who says you can't do horror in space, the ultimate isolation and System Shock 2 was terrifying
It's referring to a viral tweet someone made that Alien wasn't horror because it was set in space. Her reasoning was that horror is based on the unknown, but because space is already something we don't know, it's not horror.

Basically they are sayingy ou are putting the same arbitrary rules to horror to the Beneviento House as this girl did to Alien.

www.themarysue.com

Viral Tweet on Space Horror Films Sets the Internet Ablaze | The Mary Sue

When writer Elle Hunt tweeted that horror movies shouldn't be set in space, Twitter was quick to correct her.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think any of the fully 3D games are as scary as the ones with rendered backgrounds. The fixed camera angles do a wonderful job of setting a mood and inducing anxiety because you don't know what's lurking around that next blind corner.
I do agree that the pre-rendered games are more focused on horror than most of the 3D ones. Though I'd argue that the age I played the originals at was a factor.
REmake, in particular, is a very creepy game - especially playing the original release on a CRT in the dark, late at night, by myself, and with headphones on, when I was young.
But even RE4, the start of "action RE," is filled with horror. It's just not all horror, all the time.

The first area with everyone's favorite fetish was a bit creepy but is 90 minutes long at most. It's followed by a doll area with zero enemies, a giant fish set piece with no enemies, and then a factory with a bunch of robots before you play as chris Redfield with a practically infinite assault rifle.
The factory was incredibly tense for me, and the friends I talk about games with.
It's dark almost the entire time, enemies are significantly stronger than anywhere else, and we all ended up there low on ammo and making sub-optimal choices for upgrades, etc. so we couldn't afford any of the new weapons by the time we got there.
And I'd say the enemy designs were in the realm of body horror rather than "robots."

Why do people like this direction over RE5/6 which actually felt good to play? Feel like I'm going fucking insane. I beat Village on hardcore.
You can't just throw that out there. You think RE5/6 play better than Village?
Village
is the most fun I've had playing a game in a while. I've run through it six times now and completed it 100%.
The controls in RE6 are awful. It plays terribly.

I don't think any of the thematic elements are really on the level of something like Silent Hill, it's a very dumb game, and the segment where you hide is a set piece and I have no idea if you can even die. Honestly the whole area was just super forgettable for me.
I only died on the doll segment a few times because the game glitched and only the first location spawned tsk
I said in another post lots of horror games use tricks, often work, but somehow I saw right through that fetus the first time with how I played and it just became a joke.
This reads like you were running through the game with a guide or after watching someone else play through it first.
Like you already had expectations for how it was supposed to play out.
The dolls don't appear in the same location every time.

No tension, no horror. And fetus was over far too quickly for it to build for me.
But whatever, over the dollhouse
I don't think you understand what tension is.
There are several tense moments in the game where you're put in unsettling situations or are barely scraping by for resources.
But it sounds like you were just running through it all because you knew what was coming after having seen or read about it before.

OP
OP
Chance Hale

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
User Warned: Hostility
Fuck off mate, the first doll was in the same location every time and after dying 5 plus times in a row and being forced to watch an unskippable cutscene I looked it up, restarted the game, and they spawned where the guide said. Only time in the game I used a walkthrough because playing where's Waldo in broad day daylight was neither scary or tense. It 100% glitched

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, isn't it a bit strange to say a game as a whole is scary because of a single section, which also happened to be the shortest in it? RE8 has one scary part? Yeah. RE8 is scary? Ehhh.

By that metric none of the Resident Evil games are scary. Even Resident Evil 4 only has that one section with the Regenerators.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
RE8 is a fantastic game and tied with RE4 when it goes for best combat in the series. I play a lot Fps and think RE8 nailed gunplay.

The co-op rubbish RE5 and the straight up bad RE6, for combat focused as they are, don't feel half as good to play as RE8 for me.

RE8 is better than RE5/6 in every depertment: leveldesign, horror, gameplay, combat, bosses, artstyle, variety, story, atmosphere. Everything.

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I don't think the OP is interested on actual discussion or thinking about what they say.

Overly aggressive, talks like their subjective opinion is fact, dismissive and immature.

OP
OP
Chance Hale

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
I don't think the OP is interested on actual discussion or thinking about what they say.

Overly aggressive, talks like their subjective opinion is fact, dismissive and immature.

The person accused me of using a walkthrough for the entire game and not understanding what tension is subsequently. So yeah get off it

And maybe my opinion.......is subjective like literally every other one!

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
It's more horror focused than RE4 to 6, actually has one of the most horror focused areas in the whole series!

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
Yeah in the end I think Village is more action crap. I need to come to terms with the part where RE2R was a fluke, and even with its success, Capcom will never go back. RE4's action anime stuff murdered that hope.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna join the many people in this thread who are abandoning it because the OP is resorting to attacking other members because of a walkthrough, as well as passive-aggressiveness.

Happy Sunday, folks. Hope you do things that actually make you happy.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
If its anything like Not a hero, then yeah I didn't really enjoy that part of 7. Action FPS RE is boring.

I love action 3r person RE though, which is pretty much all of them.

While Re7 wasn't scary, more like really creepy in the early parts of the game. The game kept a constent mood throght the game, where the focus was never really about action.

I think that's why the first person perspective worked well in that game. If the focus is action, then the game will lose its appeal,

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, Village is one of the more horror oriented titles in the series (at least when played on Hardcore).

Necromorph

Oct 30, 2017
Lol no, RE6 is ''random bullshit go'', meanwhile Village takes the RE4 idea and make some things better and others worse, but def. is not the random crap of RE6.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
The person accused me of using a walkthrough for the entire game and not understanding what tension is subsequently. So yeah get off it

And maybe my opinion.......is subjective like literally every other one!
This is the problem with many discussions online, you were using absolute statements that led to an unproductive discussion. You set that tone, you must be able to see that...

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
Couching this all in horror is highly subjective, I think Village's biggest problem is that it's trying to split the difference between survival and action RE and doesn't excel at either. The strength of the structure, design, and pacing largely carries it.

It's far more action oriented than 7, but the combat is only serviceable by FPS standards. There's no melee system like 4,5, and 6 so you're just left with point and shoot, and then sometimes slash. There's more enemy variety as well but they don't feel drastically more aggressive than Zombies or Ganados for the most part. Playing the mercenaries mode really highlights what a slog the actual combat can be.

The resource management isn't there either, and that was something that contributes a lot to the dread in 7 and classic REs. I never once had to play inventory Tetris in Village despite them making a big deal of bringing back the RE4 system. Healing items don't even take up space unlike 4.

The Beneviento section really highlights this. Yes it's very creepy when you first play it, but they take away your guns before it starts. So at that point you know it's not going to be "will I have enough ammo to deal with what's down here?" and more "can I find the critical path quickly enough?" and that's a different type of horror from classic RE.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Just because Castle Dimitrescu and House Beneviento didn't succeed in putting you on edge or scaring you doesn't mean that they aren't horror.

Feb 29, 2020
There are 3 kind of RE fans I think, Post RE4 (they prefer the action oriented gameplay) and Pre RE4 (they like the darker atmosphere, real zombies, puzzles and more horror) and the RE 7 and 8 fans, that like generic 1st person horror games.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Agreed. IMO, it was also the worst mainline game since RE6. By chasing RE4 tropes but not doing them nowhere near as well it resulted as a really weak Resident Evil. It's a shame because I feel the lords are squandered in Village. They deserved better.

Oct 27, 2017
There are 3 kind of RE fans I think, Post RE4 (they prefer the action oriented gameplay) and Pre RE4 (they like the darker atmosphere, real zombies, puzzles and more horror) and the RE 7 and 8 fans, that like generic 1st person horror games.
lol

I started with classic RE and love the new fps RE. They delivered on the classic formula the best so far. Ever since RE4 nothing has resembled the OG. RE7 brought that back in a fresh way.

Necromorph

Oct 30, 2017

Lol wat, i love the classic RE era and i love RE 7 and 8 because they feel like the classics but with a twist.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
This is one of the worst comments on Era regarding opinions of games that I've seen in quite a while, lol.

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
The doll house was literally the most horror focused the franchise has ever been, what.

indeed. I've never felt more disturb from a horror or action game. I had to put the game down for a couple days (I have a young daughter and that baby thing just did me in).

overall it isn't as horror focused or intense as 7 was for sure, it was more a RE7 style take on RE4, but it had way more intensity and visceral thrills than 5 or 6 big time

Hogendaz85

Dec 6, 2017
The more time that passes since playing it the more I feel disappointed. I was hoping each area would be the same size as the castle too

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC

Yeah, it's one thing to have an opinion but it's another to have a minority opinion and yet be aggressive and dismissive.

RE6 was a disservice to the franchise, but I know there are people who like action-RE so to each their own.

OP
OP
Chance Hale

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
The more time that passes since playing it the more I feel disappointed. I was hoping each area would be the same size as the castle too
Most of the lords definitely felt like theme park attractions rather than fully realized areas that made sense in the world. Even the castle was a bit small and made me wish it was an RE1 style experience.

Hope RE9 expands the stalking elements from 7(Jack) and 8(Lady D) because they brought the tension outside of some silly safe areas. Tho I'm a big clock tower fan and Tormented was not it lol.

Last edited:

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
While I didn't think it was bad I did come away from it thinking they'd learned all the wrong lessons from RE7 and RE2 remake. Like RE3 remake it felt like another mistep.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Eh, it's more like RE4 (which this game felt like a successor to really), which has a nice blend of action and horror moments, while RE6 just goes very over the top with action. RE8 feels a lot more successful with it's horror aspect than that game, especially with House Beneviento, which certainly creeps me out.

DMA99

Feb 18, 2018
I generally agree.

Re Village had a few moments of horror but overall was pretty minimal, which was quite disappointing.

After finishing the game I went back to RE7 and OMG, it's absolutely terrifying in comparison and still holds up!

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
I have almost 100 hours put into RE2 Remake but with Village it was a one and done. I enjoyed it but the replayability is just not as enjoyable. The positive response to House Beneviento is probably going to be one of the worst things for the franchise going forward. Yes it's creepy but it's a one and done section but now Capcom will probably expand on that going forward.

Oct 25, 2017
Re6 reminded me more of a shitty michael bay movie than anything related to horror. It is a low point of the series (not the lowest, obviously lol) and I still feel anyone who claims its their favorite should probably not be playing the RE series to begin with.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
2nd best RE game behind REmake for me. I really love the location and it nails the atmosphere and exploration which are the most important aspects of a horror game to me. Combat I don't care much about unless it's absolutely horrible, but it's pretty enjoyable in Village. I finished it 7 times and I know it'll be a game I revisit every now and then.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
RE2:Remake is the best reviewed game in the franchise over a significant amount of time.

Idk why Capcom looks at the critical reception of stuff like that and goes "oh yeah, we need to make our games MORE action focused".

I'm convinced it's a budget thing.

OP
OP
Chance Hale

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Comparing any game to RE6 feels like trolling by default!
Can you throw yourself to the ground and flip over by pushing yourself off it in Village? Checkmate.

But in all seriousness I just found most of Village to be very shooter oriented and set piece driven which just made me yearn for full action RE of old(9 years is old right) lol. It'll always be there tho ❤

For me it's just an awkward balance these days.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
It was great because it felt like a spookshow attraction with different types of horror.

The execution wasn't all that great and it could have gone over in to each other more fluently instead of a hub zone and would have liked to have other zones the same puzzels as the Castle and last longer.

But enjoyed it a lot nonetheless

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Can you throw yourself to the ground and flip over by pushing yourself off it in Village? Checkmate.

But in all seriousness I just found most of Village to be very shooter oriented and set piece driven which just made me yearn for full action RE of old(9 years is old right) lol. It'll always be there tho ❤

For me it's just an awkward balance these days.

The only advantage RE6 has over RE8 is that you don't have to suffer Ethan.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I thought Ethan was really fun, personality wise. His design is one of the most vanilla designs of all time, but then you don't actually see him on purpose so it kinda doesn't matter.

His reactions to stuff were so ridiculous in the best RE b-movie nonsense ways.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
I once read someone describe Ethan as Mr. Bean being sent to fight werewolves and thats perfect imo. He's a stated idiot who bumbles his way through everything and can't even be assed to come up with a good one-liner in a series full of action heroes. And it's great.

Wallchicken

Nov 1, 2017
I wouldn't go that far, but the game swerves into action a lot faster than I hoped for.

The fact that you don't run through the village at night with a couple of stalker enemies feels like a huge missed opportunity.

Kujumz

May 30, 2019
this series needs Shinji Mikami back

RE1 and RE4 are so much better than everything else in this series. I mean 2 is good too. TEW1 is also brilliant.

Oct 27, 2017
I thought Ethan was really fun, personality wise. His design is one of the most vanilla designs of all time, but then you don't actually see him on purpose so it kinda doesn't matter.

His reactions to stuff were so ridiculous in the best RE b-movie nonsense ways.
Agreed.
I already liked him in 7. He was vanilla in a way that just worked.
In 8 they pulled an Ash Williams and it was awesome.

q82fbilhjcr61.png

Joke image aside, I loved what they did with him in the new one. Makes me hope he would return some day.