Lemony1984

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 7, 2020
Didn't read the whole thread but is there any indication how far in the future the post credits scene is? The Rose containers specificaly said that if she doesn't get periodic injections she will rapidly age, probably just like Evelin did so it can be anything from a few months to years, depending on wheter Rose gets the injections.
We don't know for sure. It's left intentionally vague I think so that it could be Rose aging fast or it could be 16 years in the future etc.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Not fake, it's Ethan's model in the distance.

To me it would be incredibly silly if capcom just used Ethan's model for some random npc to paint the scene.

dont they use random models all the time (they as in devs) for stuff that isnt intended to be seen?

plus him just walking down the road with the same model years later? and story wise just walking next to the car where his daughter is? and a message at the end saying "the story of the father is done"?

nah

cableboy

Jul 15, 2019
dont they use random models all the time (they as in devs) for stuff that isnt intended to be seen?

plus him just walking down the road with the same model years later? and story wise just walking next to the car where his daughter is? and a message at the end saying "the story of the father is done"?

nah
Well it's not fake, they used his model. The question is whether this is intentional or recycled assets, most likely it's the latter.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I guess we're splitting hairs, your original post was about not seeing any model walking alongside the vehicle, but I got you.

I only saw the tweet / leak once and it was a image of ethan (or his mangled hand), so I didnt know it was supposed to be that model in the distance next to the car, like I kept expecting it to show up in frame as the camera pulled back (especially since it lingers on the car far away so long), hence the "fake" comment :)

Oct 31, 2017

nah
Imagine asking these questions as if Resident Evil is a remotely logical series

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017

check this out, people can have different opinions, I know that is as crazy as anything that happens in a RE game, but tis true. In my opinion, its a asset dump, it makes zero sense narratively or even in the context of the scene itself. But again, that's my opinion. We'll know for sure in 3 years or whenever they make 9 I guess.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know RE has done some dumb things, but having Ethan walking up to Rose years after he died seconds before saying his story is finished would be some type of unparalleled nonsense. Literally contradicting yourself before you've even said anything.

Oct 31, 2017
check this out, people can have different opinions, I know that is as crazy as anything that happens in a RE game, but tis true. In my opinion, its a asset dump, it makes zero sense narratively or even in the context of the scene itself. But again, that's my opinion. We'll know for sure in 3 years or whenever they make 9 I guess.
I get it, I'm just saying that 1. "Fake" was a poor word choice 2. Honestly, anything goes with this series.

ket

Jul 27, 2018

28614.jpg

Nov 27, 2017
California
That mutated fish guy part was kinda a let down after the doll house but they're legit going for everything in this game
Resident evil 2/3 mr x / nemesis style
horror
All out action

About to head to magneto so I'm assuming since it's in a factory we getting metal gear solid 😎

Resident Evil 4 remake is next year most likely 👀

UltraInstinct

Nov 19, 2017
I'll admit, I never did like Ethan as a character in RE7, but in RE8 his characterisation was much better, but at the same time, I'm glad that going forward he won't be part of the franchise. He was such a nothing character, so much so that Capcom still refuse to show his face even in cutscenes. Why should we care for him when Capcom have made him into a joke.

Not a fan of Rose either. In fact not a fan of the Winters family. If Rose is the protagonist of the next game with superpowers, that would basically elimnate all sense of tension.

Regarding talks of a potential timeskip. I hope this isn't true as it would really restrict the stories they'd be able to tell with the classic characters. Like if the timskip did really happen, Leon, Claire, Jill etc would be in their 50's, 60's or so. There'd be no reason to return to them and close out their story. I'm still annoyed we never did get a final showdown type encounter with all of the classic characters working together to take down Umbrella going all the way back 20 years!

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
The Alchemist's Laboratory room's set dressing at the end of Village struck me as possibly being inspired by 2017's Alien Covenant, and at least one other person seemed to think so too. Found that very amusing.

utrginghs3y61.jpg

Not pictured in the comparison are also the scroll walls in both pieces of media. I know Covenant itself is paying tribute to established, classic gothic horror aesthetics, but talking set dressing, the little details are close, and I presume the release of the movie and the production of the game lined up!

Reizzz

Jun 19, 2019
So is it safe to assume that the Duke (and possibly the re4 merchant) are working for an all together separate company that's collecting samples. All the crystals skulls and boss fragments from the games are in their hands and (presumably have) the dna samples of all these creatures and experiments.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Love the little hints During the game alluding to Ethan being dead like his stale ass funky blood Lady D mentions And the old hag saying how can a man be "almost" dead?

May 26, 2018
I think I didn't understand anything that went on. Some questions (though I'm sure I'm not remembering a lot of plot details):

• Why did they divide Rose in 4 parts and gave her to each Lord to keep? They actually killed and mutilated a baby, right?
  • Why did Miranda need Ethan to collect the 4 parts, if she already had Rose? Why even wait, they were all gathered at the beginning.
  • Chris not telling Ethan is stupid, and they even acknowledge it in-game...but it's still stupid.
  • What was Rose's power anyhow? How would she be used as a weapon for Heisenberg?
  • Chris in general having the firepower to erase the entire village and rescue Ethan from the get go, though I guess they kinda adress this on the church memo.
  • Not really a question, but that Spencer letter at the end was hilarious. The right kind of Resident Evil cheese.
Love the little hints During the game alluding to Ethan being dead like his stale ass funky blood Lady D mentions And the old hag saying how can a man be "almost" dead?
But how did the hag know and then be surprised when she removes his heart? Also, fake Mia reading the story at the beginning makes sense and was a nice touch in retrospect.

Also, pity Heisenberg wasn't used more, and the villagers in general! And him not being Luis from RE4.

I was constantly blown away by the character models and faces, specially the hag and Heisenberg. Fantastic!

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
It was 100% intentional. They had plenty of generic NPC model to choose from, but they used Ethan's.

I kind of split the difference here.

I don't think Capcom wants to commit to anything in the epilogue. That's why there is no firm confirmation of the date- if they want to make the series futuristic moving forward then they can. But if they backpedal then there is the built-in accelerated aging angle. Given that the truck in the epilogue is the same model Chris was driving in the game and the agent, who knew Ethan, looks to be super young, they are clearly totally open to accelerated aging if they want.

I figure the Ethan model is the same idea. If they decide to given Ethan some form of role in the next game then this turns into an uber-cool Easter egg like Rocksteady planting the Arkham City plans in Arkham Asylum. But if they decide to not use Ethan then it's played off as a random asset they used because they assumed the player would never know.

May 26, 2018
I'll admit, I never did like Ethan as a character in RE7, but in RE8 his characterisation was much better, but at the same time, I'm glad that going forward he won't be part of the franchise. He was such a nothing character, so much so that Capcom still refuse to show his face even in cutscenes. Why should we care for him when Capcom have made him into a joke.

Not a fan of Rose either. In fact not a fan of the Winters family. If Rose is the protagonist of the next game with superpowers, that would basically elimnate all sense of tension.

Regarding talks of a potential timeskip. I hope this isn't true as it would really restrict the stories they'd be able to tell with the classic characters. Like if the timskip did really happen, Leon, Claire, Jill etc would be in their 50's, 60's or so. There'd be no reason to return to them and close out their story. I'm still annoyed we never did get a final showdown type encounter with all of the classic characters working together to take down Umbrella going all the way back 20 years!
I was expecting them to show his face on his final moments with Chris, but when they didn't I just assumed they just wanted people to project themselves into the game. Though, it still a very defined character, so I don't really get it.

onhold4u

Oct 29, 2017
Iowa
I think I didn't understand anything that went on. Some questions (though I'm sure I'm not remembering a lot of plot details):

• Why did they divide Rose in 4 parts and gave her to each Lord to keep? They actually killed and mutilated a baby, right?
  • Why did Miranda need Ethan to collect the 4 parts, if she already had Rose? Why even wait, they were all gathered at the beginning.
There's a file in the house with the red chimney from a villager who saw Mother Miranda turn a child into a crystal and separate it into 4 parts.
Also, I don't think she needed Ethan to collect the flasks, she didn't seem to care if he lived or died, but since he was there I assume she decided to just have some fun with him before the ceremony.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I was expecting them to show his face on his final moments with Chris, but when they didn't I just assumed they just wanted people to project themselves into the game. Though, it still a very defined character, so I don't really get it.
Way I see it, the developer's intent is not for Ethan to be a self-insert (as he is obviously his own character), but rather, for you to feel some ownership of the character by imagining certain details. YMMV. Personally, I think Ethan is one of the better and more humanized characters in the series -- much more three-dimensional than most RE protagainsts. He experiences fear, he has people that he loves, he tries to help strangers, and he still has a sense of humor. I like him, and I'm glad that he got to be in two of the series' best games.

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
Was there an answer given in this game as to why Zoe was crystalized in the RE7 DLC?

The crystal stuff was a huge thing in this game and seems to be particular ability of Miranda as Eveline didn't do it to anyone in 7. Is it possible that Miranda took over the mold situation at the Baker house once Ethan killed Eveline?

May 26, 2018
Way I see it, the developer's intent is not for Ethan to be a self-insert (as he is obviously his own character), but rather, for you to feel some ownership of the character by imagining certain details. YMMV. Personally, I think Ethan is one of the better and more humanized characters in the series -- much more three-dimensional than most RE protagainsts. He experiences fear, he has people that he loves, he tries to help strangers, and he still has a sense of humor. I like him, and I'm glad that he got to be in two of the series' best games.
I agree, I thought he was a breath of fresh air in 7.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
There's a file in the house with the red chimney from a villager who saw Mother Miranda turn a child into a crystal and separate it into 4 parts.
Also, I don't think she needed Ethan to collect the flasks, she didn't seem to care if he lived or died, but since he was there I assume she decided to just have some fun with him before the ceremony.

The game is using standard silly villain logic*. Miranda no longer has any need for the four lords so she wants them dead. But they are reasonably powerful and she doesn't want to risk taking on the four of them united. So she's content to let Ethan try to take them out feeling like she's no worse off even if Ethan dies part way through the mission.

*The same kind of logic that is always used as flimsy justification for a villain failing to kill of the protagonist numerous times when they can do so easily. Like how Miranda could have just capped Ethan straight up at the beginning of the game while she was impersonating Mia.

May 26, 2018
The game is using standard silly villain logic*. Miranda no longer has any need for the four lords so she wants them dead. But they are reasonably powerful and she doesn't want to risk taking on the four of them united. So she's content to let Ethan try to take them out feeling like she's no worse off even if Ethan dies part way through the mission.

*The same kind of logic that is always used as flimsy justification for a villain failing to kill of the protagonist numerous times when they can do so easily. Like how Miranda could have just capped Ethan straight up at the beginning of the game while she was impersonating Mia.
Well, maybe, but except Heisenberg, they all love her and wouldn't try to oppose her. And having Rose, she would be even more powerful I guess? Idk

Grisby

Oct 29, 2017
I wish some of the villagers had survived. I thought they would actually....at least Elena. Was surprised they killed them odffthat early into the game.

Got me pumped. Didn't think they would have the reveal trailer music in the game.

Res

Oct 25, 2017
One of my favorite parts of the game is going back to the village and unlocking stuff with newly found key items. Starting NG+ now, only had had enough points for infinite grenade launcher. Sidenote, Miranda's design and fight would fit in nicely in dark souls/bloodborne

honestly I feel like people would have been much more positive on him if the game was in 3rd person, and we would be able to see him all the time. I also feel like most RE protagonists have "superpowers" like Leon doing insane athletics and Chris punching a boulder. And then there're those with powers like Sherry/Ethan with regeneration, etc. Capcom could always just give Rose regeneration abilities and another unique ability, but not something overly powerful like Jake/Wesker

Oct 27, 2017
I'd rather have the Chris BSAA storyline thing in some spin off than in RE9. Don't even involve Rose in that. The Chris BSAA thing just sound super unappealing and more like a RE6 type thing than anything else. Hard to make a game scary when you're playing Chris AGAIN, play as Jill, Sheva and whoever else could be part of that.

Whatever Rose can do/can't do, I'm just imagining her to be a copy of Ethan with some powers that are of very limited use outside of cutscenes. I'd really just want RE9 to be more similar to RE7 and 8 than whatever that BSAA thing could possibly end up being.

Totally agree.

For me, a huge part of what I've enjoyed in RE games is when the story doesn't have the whole Umbrella/BSAA/BOW conflict stuff front and center. That's like RE5 or RE6 territory and that's way too Metal Gear levels of stupid anime garbage for my taste. Leave that stuff at the periphery cause I have a hard time figuring how you can make a legit scary RE game when you're playing as bona fide superheroes like all the established old school RE protagonists like Chris, Leon and Jill at this point. They've already seen all sorts of crazy shit so nothing should really phase them. Which is why I've enjoyed playing as Ethan cause he's seeing and reacting to all the wild stuff going on the same as the player is.

What I love about the RE games that I've played (REmake, RE2 Remake, RE4, RE7 and playing Village) is the beginning parts where you're just a normal person tossed into some mysterious, scary, atmospheric environment with some simple task trying to figure out what the hell is going on or rescue somebody. That's usually when the nice environments can shine, its when you're the least powerful and most susceptible to getting spooked by the game's atmosphere too.

Just going to a more modern day or urban setting even lessens my excitement for RE9 cause I just love the ambiance of Village so much with all the Castle and old structures around. So much more atmosphere than even something like the city environments of the RE2 Remake, IMO. Just really makes me want a Resident Medieval or some RE: Village prequel or something.

Dec 29, 2017
Just finished the game and what the fuck, was that rose far into the future or is she growing up crazy fast?

No one knows what the actual story is behind that scene yet.

It could either be:

1. 18+ years in the future.
2. Rose ages fast like Eveline did.
3. Rose has powers similar to Miranda and can shape shift and shape shifted to an adult form.
4. Rose has both Eveline's aging and Miranda's powers of extending her lifespan.

May 26, 2018
If you read Moreau's diary, he realises he is going to be replaced if Miranda succeeds and has a page full of no's lol. Heisenberg's definitely the only one actively working against her though.
Yes, but the point is he still madly in love (filial love) with her.
I just don't get the plan, that's all. Will replay it, though, and pay more attention since now I know where everything is going.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, but the point is he still madly in love (filial love) with her.
I just don't get the plan, that's all. Will replay it, though, and pay more attention since now I know where everything is going.

Lady D isn't loving Miranda either. She's not only visibly pissed when you spy on her but you can see her frustrations with Miranda in her diary.

And the point is less about how they feel toward her now versus how Miranda feels toward them. Miranda didn't care for them and even someone like Moreau was going to feel super spurned after the plan went through and Miranda started ignoring them.