• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mana Latte

Banned
Jul 6, 2019
Finished a few hours ago and starting my second play through. I loved it. Possibly more than Remake 2

Oct 28, 2017
Ok played for a while. Got up to
Nicolai's introduction

First impressions: Not faithful to the original in almost anything, but I'm having a really good time so far. Mechanically I really like it and my time in the demo was well spent as I'm fucking acing this dodge. I'm barely shooting anything just dodging past everything. Suits my RE playstyle well with this mechanic and it's really well done. Now evem easier to go full ammo hoard mode!

It's a real shame hardcore difficulty doesn't have ink ribbons. Completely changes the way the game feels. Not having that thought process of considering whether to play a little longer without saving or not removes tension. It's a psychological thing and a lot is lost. A real shame. Especially because I'm really digging the hardcore difficulty for a first playthrough so far.

I said that it's not very faithful to the original so far and that's true. But the odd nod hear and there has made me smile. Dario wasn't exactly the same, but I liked how he still
locks himself in and one of the lines he says is exactly the same as the original. I do wish the daughter line was still in though. Oh well
. And yeah, Nicolai's intro. Nice.

I am of course rocking the classic Jill outfit for my first playthrough because it's the correct thing to do. I said a couple years back that if they do an RE3 remake and don't have Jill in her RE3 outfit that I was done with the franchise. It's unfortunate it's not the default, but nevertheless I do not have to be done with the franchise. Looks really good by the way! And not out of place in the slightest.

As far as not being faithful goes, the big thing so far that made me groan is of course
what they've done with Brad. Doesn't even get killed by Nemesis, and goes out in such a lame way. Like, Brad's death is one of the most iconic things about RE3. How do you not try to do that justice in a remake? Sigh.

I did like the intro to the game a lot. Scripted as hell but it works and it
sets Nemesis up and establishes him as an unstoppable monster well.

Oh and by the way I LOVED
the fact the game starts out in first person. Kinda made me wish there was an option to play entirely in first person. First person RE is so good.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well I beat it. Seven hours, twenty minutes total play time but it's only counting four and a half hours as my clear time. Not totally sure why.

Overall, it's very fast paced and the hours just seem to fly by, there are a lot more enemies than there were in RE2 (but nowhere near as many as there are in RE4) and you really do need to get the hang of the dodge because you can so easily mess up and take a lot of unnecessary damage.

It was fun and I really liked it. I definitely think it has an intensity that RE2 lacks and that only added to the atmosphere - it was scary in a different way, y'know? Jill is a pretty great protagonist and I really liked Carlos, too.

If I had any complaints it'd be that it's pretty linear and there aren't as many side areas to explore as I had hoped, plus I don't think Form 1 Nemesis was used enough. I had really hoped there'd be a reason to go back to older areas, with the train acting like a hub, and the train map totally got my hopes up. I'm also not a fan of how much of a certain place you visit is blocked off. I had hoped there'd be more to it than that.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Steam download done. But, got an odd error when starting it:

p5Mmba6l.png

Game seems to have started up though. So, I guess we'll see how this goes...

Valiant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Which country are you using? It's not working for me with Australia.

I used Hong Kong

Downloaded it and was able to already play.

I do know for anyone curious that after downloading and launching and going back to my NA server... it wouldn't launch the game.

So I had to restart the computer and hop back on to vpn to get it to work.... but I want to stream.

It looks like it doesn't do anything if you break VPN while the game is launched.

TMC

Oct 27, 2017
Loving all these positive impressions. I don't care about cut content because I never played the original so ignorance is bliss I guess. Glad to hear some are enjoying it as much or nearly as much as RE2. Was worried after reading some of the reviews. Ready to start this tomorrow.

Valiant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For anyone curious on the new page since I was at the bottom of the last.

I do know for anyone curious that after downloading and launching and going back to my NA server... it wouldn't launch the game.

So I had to restart the computer and hop back on to vpn to get it to work.... but I want to stream.

It looks like it doesn't do anything if you break VPN while the game is launched.

Thanathorn

Dec 10, 2019
It's 2am where i am. Seems the perfect time to start playing this. It's up and ready on my Xbox now.

Mana Latte

Banned
Jul 6, 2019
I think im nearly done but dont want to rush to complete it today, but i love the game, even more so than RE2.

such a shame the review scores may keep some away.

I do wish it was maybe an hour longer but I didn't mind the length overall. I can't deal with long games like I used to. I rather something short with good pacing I can replay over and over. This fits the bill

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I just had a funny problem on the PC version using an Xbox elite controller. There is a QTE early on that requires you to just hold the RT trigger. But, I kept failing it. Switched my RT from the shallow mode I usually keep it on to full penetration and it worked.

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished playing for the night.

Felt a bit sick at the monster who drops shit down your throat. Loving the game so far though, just got to the first save point in the sewers.

WBacon

Capcom USA
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
California
Steam download done. But, got an odd error when starting it:

p5Mmba6l.png

Game seems to have started up though. So, I guess we'll see how this goes...

RE2 on PC also required that codec IIRC, without it some places where you would see video files would not render.

You can safely ignore it if it doesn't affect you. It's meant for certain countries where Windows doesn't ship with Windows Media codec. Any Windows with an N or a K designation will have to download Microsoft's free Windows Media Feature Pack which contains the necessary codec.

Last edited:

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Why is Steam holding out on the preload? I'd like to get it started before leaving for work so that I can play it when I get home...

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
You can safely ignore it if it doesn't affect you. It's meant for certain countries where Windows doesn't ship with Windows Media codec. Any Windows with an N or a K designation will have to download Microsoft's free Windows Media Feature Pack which contains the necessary codec.

Yeah, it's working absolutely find for me so far.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
Of note:
r03g4hx5bhq41.jpg

She should be 24 so this is from I guess 1997 and heir height/weight are from REmake 1 and not RE5 where most of them were taller. Have a look at THIS:
residentevil.fandom.com

Jill Valentine

Jill Valentine (ジル・バレンタイン, Jiru Barentain?) is an American Special Operations Agent (SOA) of the Bioterrorism Security Assessment Alliance, of which she is a co-founder and an original member. She is a respected high-ranking operator, owing to her commitment in eradicating bioterrorism and her...
(The holster straps are positioned like that btw to highlight her chest, source RE Archives Vol 1.)

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Gotta say, I fucking love Jill's characterization in this game.

She does not take anyone's shit. Carlos, Nicholai, Nemesis... Girl's got an attitude, and I am 100% here for it.