• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 30, 2017
Because storywise it's one of the best entries. It features first Wesker vs. Chris moment, etc.
Yes I totally agree.. story wise and music wise also the pacing of the story is by far the best in the franchise.

As for RE8, I can see them started working on it since the release of RE7 which is sometimes last year.. so yeah I don't see it being shown and announced to the public anytime soon.

I just hope it takes a lot from REmake 2 after the very positive reception the game got and not being first person again like RE7 & REmake 2 had brought the Zombies back to the front again in the series.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I hope they never ever remake Code Veronica and instead focus on remaking RE3 and then making new entries instead of putting the time in remaking CV .. why?

It got the dullest most boring settings in the classic entries.

Don't get me wrong.. I love the game.. but I'm just being honest.

After all the effort we're seeing from just a 20 minute or so snippet of REmake2, the setting won't be an issue if they put anywhere near the same effort in the level design.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I believe we'll see a near future release slate look something like this:

Late 2019 - Dead Rising 5
Early 2020 - RE8
2021 - Monster Hunter World 2 and Mega Man 12/X9/Legends 3
2022 - RE3make and Itsuno/team DMC's next title (DMC6, a remake of 1/3 or Dragon's Dogma 2)

SF6 in 2021 or 2022. Possibly other titles like Rev 3 and maybe a Onimusha or Dino Crisis revival too.

Assuming none of Capcom's plans for 2.5-3 year releases for sequels don't fall through somehow.

Oct 28, 2017
Yes I totally agree.. story wise and music wise also the pacing of the story is by far the best in the franchise.

As for RE8, I can see them started working on it since the release of RE7 which is sometimes last year.. so yeah I don't see it being shown and announced to the public anytime soon.

I just hope it takes a lot from REmake 2 after the very positive reception the game got and not being first person again like RE7 & REmake 2 had brought the Zombies back to the front again in the series.
RE8 will be first person and that's absolutely the right decision. First person RE needs to be improved and refined.

Jun 18, 2018
RE8 will be first person and that's absolutely the right decision. First person RE needs to be improved and refined.

Agreed! Although I think that's less about the core mechanics - moving, shooting & inventory management were great - and more about the environment, puzzles, enemy types & plot.

I do like the idea of moving fully away from global conflicts and BOW terrorism to one-off incidents that are more isolated and hinge more on individual character dynamics than faceless corporate entities. RE1&7 nail this better than any other in the series, with the latters' ties to the wider universe being its weakest points.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm very interested in how Capcom will refine the first person gameplay going forward if that's the style RE8 is in. I'd hate to lose VR too so if RE8 is first person I'd wholly appreciate VR support.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Previously Scrapped RE projects always lead to the best RE games. Scrap away, lol.

I like VR, but I think I like third person more so I hope it returns to third person. Also if you ever played chronos fixed camera VR is really freaking cool. I would love an old school fixed camera VR RE game.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm fine with first person as long as they give the playable character an actual personality. Ethan was too much of a blank slate for me.

Deleted member 1102

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yea one of RE's main strong points is it's characters and Ethan is dull as a board.

I think he has the potential to be an interesting character, but I hate this trope with FP games where the main character has to be faceless killing machine with no character. I want to see Ethan in cutscenes, know how he feels about the situation he's in etc.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1102

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ark is the gold standard of first person RE characters.

Ark's return is long overdue. MC of Rev 3 pls Capcom

Seriously though, I feel Ark worked better because you actually saw him in cutscenes and saw how he was dealing with the events of Gun Survivor. Not seeing Ethan I think really hurt him as a character.

Dark_Chris

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Czech republic
I think he has the potential to be an interesting character, but I hate this trope with FP games where the main character has to be faceless killing machine with no character. I want to see Ethan in cutscenes, know how he feels about the situation he's in etc.
Agreed and Capcom seems to know this as well going by RE7 DLC. Both Not a Hero and End of Zoe had standard cutscenes.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Agreed and Capcom seems to know this as well going by RE7 DLC. Both Not a Hero and End of Zoe had standard cutscenes.

I think part of it is also because they never really designed a proper/fully modeled face for Ethan in the first place. The hacked models etc you can see show him with a very porcelain looking structure. In-game you only see part of his face when playing as Mia ..

Y'all remember Bruce McGivern ?

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
This is such crap. I appreciate that the older games exist but now that I see Leon and Ada skins in a "what if" game, which is just updated graphics and shitty tank controls, I'm so glad that the Capcom team didn't listen to deluded fans by caving in to their demands. It's so REFRESHING to see what Resident Evil 2 is shaping up to be. If they had unveiled something similar to the above video I probably would still be interested in the game because RE2 for a long time was my favorite in the series. But some fans really are so concerned about a camera perspective - one that is inarguably worse to play - that they're willing to forego enhancing a game just so they can hold back a title in the same vein as its predecessors. Can't help but feel that updated visuals are what concerns people most who clamor for a remake in the same of REmake

With that said I cannot wait for January.

Thinking back now if I saw it like that gameplay wise on Sony's E3 stage it would have killed my hype. All of it, great graphics can only do so much.

I'm happy they didn't listen either. Old camera lovers are just gonna have to deal with it.

solari

Oct 25, 2017
AZ, USA
I love how people act like no one asked for OTS style RE2. Before they made the pitch to remake the game, I remember they took to social media channels and asked what fans would want out of a potential RE2 remake. The responses they got where very split down the middle between REmake style or RE4 style. Most people said they would be fine with both, myself included. This project has fan consideration in it's blood. The overwhelming response they got on social media from people who wanted it really helped the project be green lit. Were people not around when this was happening or something?

Dark_Chris

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Czech republic
remove the Revelations series, replace it with new games done in the Classic RE style (tank controls, fixed camera). Keep it small (4-6 hours normal playthrough)
Bro there is millions fans who wants action return to RE. Revelations is perfect fit there. Also action sells significantly more than horror.

I'm not saying I wouldn't want some smaller classic games, but it won't happen.

Oct 30, 2017
Bro there is millions fans who wants action return to RE. Revelations is perfect fit there. Also action sells significantly more than horror.

I'm not saying I wouldn't want some smaller classic games, but it won't happen.
one can wish. while we're dreaming up wishlists, might as well keep Revelations to please the action people and add the classic games as I described. You're right though, the minute they release a modern game with tank controls, I can already see the backlash from the "bad controls"

ksdixon

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm kind of annoyed at myself. I was staunchly all in on fixed cameras and tank controls - "remake for re2", if you will. But I can't deny being excited for what I've seen. New puzzles, new story changes and locations, it's all intriguing. Still not sure about re4 ots, but whereas I hated it in re4/5/6 I didn't mind it in re rev2 so much, with its balance of action, horror, files and classic ascetics like twinkling items and not having loot fall out of disolving enemy's buttholes. Re2make seems to hit that classic feel of tension even more than rev2, so I find myself very eagerly awaiting it despite ots.

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
I believe we'll see a near future release slate look something like this:

Late 2019 - Dead Rising 5
Early 2020 - RE8
2021 - Monster Hunter World 2 and Mega Man 12/X9/Legends 3
2022 - RE3make and Itsuno/team DMC's next title (DMC6, a remake of 1/3 or Dragon's Dogma 2)

SF6 in 2021 or 2022. Possibly other titles like Rev 3 and maybe a Onimusha or Dino Crisis revival too.

Assuming none of Capcom's plans for 2.5-3 year releases for sequels don't fall through somehow.

Is a new Dead Rising confirmed? Pretty sure Dead Rising 4's dismal sales and reception would kill the franchise (which I'd be fine with at this point. It's clear the people in charge don't understand why DR was beloved in the first place).

luca

Oct 25, 2017
RE8 is already in development (and has been in development for around a year and a half now) and there's a couple other RE games in development right now outside of REmake 2 & RE8, so we're not getting a string of remakes in a row and rapid succession or anything. It'll more likely turn out we'll get REmake 2 now, then a few other RE things in the years that follow (I'm placing my bets we'll see see RE8 in 2020 and maybe some other RE thing in 2019), and we won't see REmake 3 until 2021+ or something.
Do you know if RE8 will stick to the first person camera they introduced in RE7? I really hope so.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
The only purpose Dead Rising 5 would serve is justifying the closure of Capcom Vancouver for Capcom higher ups. Can't think of any other reason as to why they'd give DR another try instead of something else.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
I really hope RE8 or at least a side story isnt far after RE2R. I'd settle for a Revelations 3 next year then RE8 for 2020. I just need more RE and its the main thing Capcom has going for it in its SP department

Sento

Nov 1, 2017
I hope they follow the trend of RE7 by introducing new characters instead of focusing on Leon, Chris, Jill... .

Nerrel

Oct 31, 2017
I love how people act like no one asked for OTS style RE2. Before they made the pitch to remake the game, I remember they took to social media channels and asked what fans would want out of a potential RE2 remake. The responses they got where very split down the middle between REmake style or RE4 style. Most people said they would be fine with both, myself included. This project has fan consideration in it's blood. The overwhelming response they got on social media from people who wanted it really helped the project be green lit. Were people not around when this was happening or something?

Of course people were asking for it to be OTS. But people were asking for a fixed camera remake before OTS RE was even a thing. The entire reason this game exists and was requested for so long is that RE on the Gamecube was the best remake in gaming history and people wanted RE2 to get that treatment. It's specifically because of REmake that RE2 has been so highly demanded all this time. It's not like this all started when RE4, 5 and 6 came out with people saying "wow, they should revamp RE2 just like this."

It seems odd to me that you say that social media was split down the middle, then say that choosing OTS shows that they listened to fans. How does that work out? If they had chosen fixed camera, would they have not been listening to fans? Most comments I saw at that time were in support of a fixed camera remake. It wasn't a landslide, but I remember the consensus being that fixed camera had the lead. It wasn't just me, but people on forums like this reporting seeing the same. Even if you think it was split right down the middle, they still didn't listen to half the fanbase.

I don't think it's a matter of "listening to fans." The remake is going to sell more and get more mainstream attention as an OTS game.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I mean, so is Chris Redfield, dude is bland personified.
Aside from Mia I think Chris had a vastly more exciting dynamic with his goofy S.T.A.R.S. team members and Rebecca in RE1 than Ethan has with any of the other characters in RE7. It mostly comes from the oddball writing of RE1 though but I also dig his rivalry with Wesker.

Grisby

Oct 29, 2017

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
I mean, so is Chris Redfield, dude is bland personified.

No way. Chris is the most unstoppable RE protagonist! He's built like a brick wall (in the modern games) but still has a heart of (mostly) gold. His rivalry with Wesker and his bromance with Piers offer the best character interactions in the entire franchise.

You really either have to be a woman or a gay man to appreciate the perfection that is Chris Redfield.

Nah, I'm a straight guy but I love Chris. C'mon, how can anyone hate him? Especially when he's voiced by Roger Craig Smith... He crosses a very fine line between me ironically and unironically liking him.

Deleted member 1102

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Chris and Wesker's relationship alone makes Chris ten times as interesting as Ethan is but Chris has the benefit of being in almost all the games in the series whereas Ethan has been in one, so there's hope for him yet.

Boya

Jan 1, 2018
"No one gets left behind! Not on my watch!"
...a couple of minutes later...
"Okay everyone, let's split up!"
Prety sure that's not what he means by not leaving anyone behind.
Doing everything in your power to not let anyone die and spliting a team up to cover more ground are not mutualy exclusive actions.
Except it always ends with everyone but Chris getting killed. He always fails to protect his comrades. Either way, you're reading too much into what I wrote. Bottom line is that Chris is a very shallow character and without his hunky looks and Roger Craig Smith voicing him he's just not very interesting. Case in point, Not a Hero.
You forgot the most important part (for a first person game anyway).
And the left behind-split up example is still a nonsensical way to condence someones charaterization.
But I agree that his survivors guilt is played out at this point and if they continue to bring him back they need to do different things.
Just let Chris be happy Capcom! Just let him have a boyfrend!

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2018
Except it always ends with everyone but Chris getting killed. He always fails to protect his comrades. Either way, you're reading too much into what I wrote. Bottom line is that Chris is a very shallow character and without his hunky looks he's just not very interesting. Case in point, Not a Hero.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Chris and Wesker's relationship alone makes Chris ten times as interesting as Ethan is but Chris has the benefit of being in almost all the games in the series whereas Ethan has been in one, so there's hope for him yet.

Is there though? Even when he's faceless?
Ethan to me screams one-off character. We ever seem him again, it'll be as a joke character for mercs where he wears a bag over his head. Like I can't see 10 years from now people goin "Man I hope Ethan comes back". Like they do for Billy, Carlos, Sheva or other one-offs.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
Is there though? Even when he's faceless?
Ethan to me screams one-off character. We ever seem him again, it'll be as a joke character for mercs where he wears a bag over his head. Like I can't see 10 years from now people goin "Man I hope Ethan comes back". Like they do for Billy, Carlos, Sheva or other one-offs.

I thought Ethan had a face, I swear I've seen it?

Jan 11, 2018
I thought Ethan had a face, I swear I've seen it?

He does.

ethan_winters_by_demonleon3d-db0h9qa.png