• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

what's the correct order you should play Resident Evil 2?

• Claire A / Leon B

Votes: 232 55.4%
  • Leon A / Claire B

Votes: 187 44.6%

• Total voters

krg

Oct 27, 2017
I've always wondered this myself. I've read a lot people saying that Claire A/Leon B is canon but then, why do they always show promotional material from Leon A campaign?
Some people seem to suggest that both are actually canon, so you basically take bits and pieces from each campaign and then try to make sense of it all.

what do you say Era (Poll included)?

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No, however it's the route that is referenced most in other games. They also reference some events from Leon A/Claire B so really the canon story of RE2 is most likely a combination of the two routes.

Oct 26, 2017
The novelization for what it's worth combines the two. It's Claire A/Leon B, but then Leon is the one to finish off the G-virus monster on the train at the end of the story (without the train exploding for what it's worth).

RJeddy

Dec 4, 2017
Leon's first in promo material because of his popularity. I don't think either scenario was considered canon when the game came out - only after the other games were released that some story elements inferred Claire A/Leon B was how it all happened. Though I think some Claire B stuff were referred to as well in one or two other games?

Oct 25, 2017
Are we talking the original or the remake? If it's the former, then people say it's Claire A/Leon B because the events are referenced in future games. If it's the latter, then either one works just fine for the rest of the universe's story.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
No, but I think Claire A/Leon B makes more sense given the events of later games.
In the remake
Claire always makes it to the lab first judging by how the first G-Virus sample is already gone when Leon gets there in both runs, for what that's worth.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There never was really any "cannon".

The game is "cannon" as in the core plot points, how those plot points happen is up to interpretation

"Facts do not exist, there are only interpretations"

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017
Although not all elements of it are taken exactly, Claire A / Leon B seems overwhelmingly favoured.

The fact that the remake
makes the Tyrant Leon's end boss and Birkin 4 Claire's
reinforces it further.

Deleted member 7450

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Best thing for Capcom games is to not think too much about the stories.

There are settings and plot point to cling to, but that is just for gameplay support/context.

Mitch

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I always did Leon A/Claire B due to the way the discs were placed in the case.

My next playthrough will be Claire A/Leon B for sure. I had so much fun with Claire's B scenario.

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't matter as much with the remake which order you play them in.

Oct 25, 2017
No, but I think Claire A/Leon B makes more sense given the events of later games.
In the remake
Claire always makes it to the lab first judging by how the first G-Virus sample is already gone when Leon gets there in both runs, for what that's worth.

While the sequence of events makes more sense for Claire A/Leon B to be the "canon" route in the Remake, it really doesn't matter all that much in the grand scheme. Either order gives you the main story beats that are kept in the rest of the established RE lore.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo - Brazil
There is no canon, people often say Claire A, Leon B because it is the best fit but it's not the same as saying that is how RE2 happened.

I think like RE1, there is not really a perfect story for RE2. It's a mix.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
The only hard takeaway is that Sherry doesn't get infected in Claire B, and Sherry being infected/treated is unquestionably canon. Anything else is up the player (and I prefer Leon A/Claire B personally).

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017
Having only done Leon A/Claire B thus far, how different is Claire A/Leon B?

In the remake, it doesn't matter; as the core story is pretty identical. However, Remake's scenario is mostly based on the events of the original game's Claire A / Leon B, such as
Sherry getting infected and Leon being the one to fight the Tyrant's last form.

However, the remake uses Ada's "death" scene from Leon A / Claire B instead of the alternate one from Claire A / Leon B where she's injured by the Tyrant.

Dec 29, 2017
One of the main plot points in RE6 was Sherry having the G Virus. She only gets the G Virus in Claire A of the original game. That's where Claire A / Leon B comes most likely comes from.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Kamiya said more or less that Darkside Chronicles would be the canon one since the story was suppose to be both of them together, i still wish REmake 2 did A/B scenario as good as the original, that's it's biggest weakness as a remake.

Roygbiv95

Alt account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Moving forward my guess is the canonized RE2make will be a combination of A and B, and B, A. The stories in the sequels pretty much consider that, so I'm guessing the same will be true with the remakes.

OP
OP
krg

krg

Oct 27, 2017
One of the main plot points in RE6 was Sherry having the G Virus. She only gets the G Virus in Claire A of the original game. That's where Claire A / Leon B comes most likely comes from.

I see (didn't remember that since I played the original to death, but that was like 20 years ago). I finished Claire B already on the remake and Sherry definitely gets infected though.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
I see (didn't remember that since I played the original to death, but that was like 20 years ago). I finished Claire B already on the remake and Sherry definitely gets infected though.
It's even more confusing in the Remake because the first G virus sample is gone in Leon's 1st and 2nd run, which should mean Claire got to the lab first either way

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
I think officially it was intended to be a mix of both scenarios like RE1. Clarie A/Leon B in the original game makes the most sense when taking into account the sequels and what not.

However I do personally think Leon A/ Claire B works better for the remake, but the A/B scenarios are still handled pretty poorly in the new game.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Just like the original game, details from both routes are canon. Claire A / Leon B has the more satisfying Freytag's Pyramid and has more of the canon details than the reverse though.

REmake 2 is a little more confusing because the B scenario has essentially the same cutscenes as the A scenario. In this way, A events contradict B events. The original game didn't have this problem.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
As long as we're asking about RE canon... How does Resident Evil 1 work with Chris and Jill?

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Funny that to me the biggest argument for Leon B is how he gets his uniform. Getting it from locker room just seems better than Marvin pulling it out of his ass.

Oct 27, 2017
Canon is loose in RE. Not so loose that it's unimportant, quite the opposite actually, but events are often generally or broadly referenced, with detailed specifics being of less importance overall.

It really should not matter since 7 rebooted the series right?

No, 7 has some soft reboot aspects yes, but is actually fairly lore heavy, particularly the ending and the Not a Hero DLC. The characterization of Chris in the DLC is a direct continuation of RE6.

RE4 also was something of a soft reboot but was folded into the overall story, much like 7.

OP
OP
krg

krg

Oct 27, 2017
REmake 2 is a little more confusing because the B scenario has essentially the same cutscenes as the A scenario. In this way, A events contradict B events. The original game didn't have this problem.

yeah, I really love this Remake but if I had to criticize something was how poorly the A and B scenarios were handled, like you'd often think, why am I doing this again? It's like a parallel universe instead of a complete story.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, Darkside Chronicles pretty much blends as much as it can of A and B, so I would have to wonder if that's the "most" canon RE2 scenario out there

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'm partial to Leon A/Claire B in the remake because I hella believe that Claire

willingly tread into that last fight on the train. She is such a badass in this remake. Not to discount Leon, though -- but I totally get vibes that Claire dealt with William most of the time and got fed up with his shit and decided to engage in that final fight.

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
I won't participate in that poll until the correct third option is added.

"Play in any order you choose and enjoy the fucking video game as you wish."

Correct order to play in.....Lol.

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
Playing thru ClaireB Hardcore and was skipping cutscenes since the vast majority of them are the same.... except now
Sherri DOESN'T get infected!?

dammit!

How About No

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Great Dairy State
It really should not matter since 7 rebooted the series right?
its a soft reboot that scales things back thematically, but all the crazy shit that happened in the old games still happened

Playing thru ClaireB Hardcore and was skipping cutscenes since the vast majority of them are the same.... except now
Sherri DOESN'T get infected!?

dammit!

hmm? that still happens. OP is talking about the original RE2