• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
The story is definitely the strongest of any game in the series, especially if you put in the work to go around talking to all of the random NPCs and demons. It's just such a really beautifully realized world, with its own history and culture; you just have to connect the dots on a lot of things yourself. The weaker dungeons compared to Strange Journey are really the only blemish the game has.
This is one of those opinions that I just am baffled by. SMTIV had some good ideas in its story, but it's a mess in execution in some places, one of the biggest being that so much of it is missing on certain paths. Even on Neutral it's damn hard to keep track of everything even if you try to talk to everyone. It's just so scattered around in tiny fragments that don't easily contextualize in your head. I'd also agree with the opinions in this thread that the two halves of it don't quite fit together as well as they should and that lack of coherence hurts it.

I'm generally of the opinion that the best SMT stories are Nocturne, Devil Survivor Overclocked, Strange Journey, and DDS*. I'd never even consider putting SMTIV in that list.

DDS is in there mostly for the pure mindfuckery factor. It's so twisted up in every direction that I'd have a hard time even trying to criticize it thematically.

Also, how are we posting SMTIV music and nobody's posted Roppongi?

The way the drums in the background are basically a bizarre inverse of the electronic keyboard or whatever in the foreground and thus make everything punchier always puts a smile on my face.

Edit: Also, the Infernal Underground theme is probably my favourite song in the game.

Last edited:

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I always thought of Horizon as an RPG... It was billed as such before release.
Yes, it is. It's labelled as RPG everywhere, from the website, PSN store, to wikipedia.
Horizon Zero Dawn - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horizon_Zero_Dawn
Horizon Zero Dawn is an action role-playing video game developed by Guerrilla Games and published by Sony Interactive Entertainment.

PSN
Genre
Action
Role-Playing Games (RPG)

Now, let's compare it to Yakuza 0.
Yakuza 0 - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yakuza_0
Yakuza 0 is an action-adventure video game developed and published by Sega. It is a prequel to the Yakuza series.

PSN
Genre
Action
Adventure

And God of War.
God of War (2018 video game) - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_of_War_(2018_video_game)
God of War is an action-adventure video game developed by Santa Monica Studio and published by Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE).

PSN
Genre
Action

Lynx_7

Oct 25, 2017
Much obliged:

Shame it only plays in a very tiny area of the game, but it sets the tone perfectly. Coincidentally, that whole stretch (+ the events preceding it) was by far my favorite part of SMT IV's narrative, the story was building to such a great crescendo.

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
Much obliged:

Shame it only plays in a very tiny area of the game, but it sets the tone perfectly. Coincidentally, that whole stretch (+ the events preceding it) was by far my favorite part of SMT IV's narrative, the story was building to such a great crescendo.

The first time I played SMTIV, I got to just before that whole sequence and was thinking, "Okay, this series usually will try to horribly mindfuck you in some way, but it's all been relatively tame other than the initial Tokyo twist" and then this happened, and I was so happy, lol

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The SMT2 remixes that play in the alternate Tokyos are also really good and a perfect fit for their respective scenes.

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
66-70 have been posted in the OP. Just a small 5 game update for today. I figured that was better than skipping a day and doing a full 10 tomorrow.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Final Fantasy XV at 67.

giphy.gif

Anyway, it's the first time I've heard of Terranigma. Interesting.

Deleted member 419

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NICE Terranigma placement! Amazing game, anybody who loves 16-bit RPGs should absolutely give it a shot. The ending is one for the ages and will stick with you, it should be mentioned in the same breath as other SNES classics.

Last edited:

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
Here's a scorching hot take.

Oblivion > Skyrim

The quests in Oblivion are too good, Whodunit is an all time great.

Novel Mike

Oct 25, 2017
Here's a scorching hot take.

Oblivion > Skyrim

The quests in Oblivion are too good, Whodunit is an all time great.
Yeah in terms of quests I'll certainly agree. The Dark Brotherhood storyline in that one is so much better and a more personal dark story then what we got in Skyrim, same can be said for Thieves guild and a few others as well IMO.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
I am surprised that Final Fantasy XV is out so early but very happy that it made it so far into the rate. The game is incredibly charming and sunk me in deep - some of the best dungeon design in the series, gorgeous to look at, and filled with so many unique ideas. It is an oddball in the series, for sure, but I think it is a great one. Noctis ended up being one of my favorite protagonists in the series.

Thores

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, so how many people put Terranigma on their list because of the Kyle Bosman playthough?

Lots of interesting placements so far! Surprisingly strong showing for FFXV (although I'm sure other people will be disappointed at it not cracking the Top 50). Amazing job on this list to everyone involved, as always!

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
Oblivion will always be my favorite in the Elder Scrolls series. Most people here probably have Morrowind as their favorite but Oblivion is something special to me. Kinda like comfort food. There is a cozy feel walking around Cyrodiil, being greeted by some of the most grotesque and bizarre looking friendly beings in fiction. So many warm memories attached to that game.

Now I want to redo the Dark Brotherhood quests.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Surprised XV even made it this high on Era. In my opinion it should be even higher up, but I can't be disappointed on its placement on this forum. :]
Being higher than Horizon, Yakuza, and Dark Souls is surprisingly since it seems like the majority of the forum love those games. But it just looks like the XV haters are just a vocal minority.

Nice to see Terranigma up there too.

Last edited:

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Hurrah for the original Paper Mario! :D

I've always preferred it a bit over TTYD (which is still a great game itself).

gordofredito

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
I wonder how many mainline single-player FF games placed in this list.
we have yet to see
  • FF VI+ FF VII (top 10, always. Every time)
  • FF IX
  • FF X
  • FF XIV. I don't think XIV will be very high if it will even be here, I would've voted for it but it doesn't feel right to vote for an MMO here
  • FF XII
I'd be surprised if any FF XIII iteration makes it in

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I wish oblivion to be higher, since I have such fond memories from the game

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Since SMT 4 was posted, this is still my favorite music on the game. It's the first battle theme but it's the one in the entire game that resonated more with me.

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
I played a bit of FFXV the other day. I don't think I've ever been so confused as to whether I like a game or not. Oftentimes I'll pick it up and think "this is so bad I just can't". But then later end up reminiscing positively about the experience. It's weird.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Paper Mario the first mario rpg domino to fall.

now to see where Bowser's Inside Story, TTYD, Mario RPG, and Superstar Saga wind up.
...if they all even make the list. maybe SS won't

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Someday I should play XIII actually. I own it on Steam because I got one of the sequels through an SE Easter basket and then bought it on sale. Still haven't tried it though.

gordofredito

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
just realized Tokyo Mirage #FE hasn't shown its ugly head. Is it seriously going to be ranked over Tactics Ogre, Vagrant Story, Fire Emblem 2003, Kingdom Hearts and Oblivion???
source.gif

Last edited:

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Since we seem to be throwing out our favourite SMTIV tracks, here's mine (from Apocalypse, so slightly cheating :P):

Also, the best track from Bravely Default wasn't mentioned in the OST highlight!

butman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
just realized Tokyo Mirage #FE hasn't shown its ugly head. Is it seriously going to be ranked over Tactics Ogre, Vagrant Story, Fire Emblem 1, Kingdom Hearts and Oblivion???
source.gif

I don't think it has managed to be on the list, as it also happens with FF XIII. If not it will be ultra shocking.