• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
...am I the only person who gets banner notices at the top of every forum page?

Should a notice ever accidentally be dismissed there's also an option in the settings to restore said notices as well.

Screenshot_9.png

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I knew it wouldn't be long before the "real racists" nonsense came out lol.

Oct 27, 2017
Users: "Why do mods always resort to bans instead of giving people warnings or less harsh actions so that they can learn?"

Mods: -Proceed to use a tool other than a ban meant exactly for the purpose of cooling someone off-

Users:

535529261512261632.png

Users: "Power hungry mods! I knew they couldn't be trusted!"
I know this seems like a really good gotcha, but the total lack of transparency on the decision making is exactly why so many posters have a simmering resentment towards the staff. It takes ten seconds to explain this stuff to users, but instead it caused hours of drama.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Mods, I am being generous today. You can take the night off. Maybe go see a flick at the local cinema. You earned it.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
If we could ask people not to make our lives harder, we would've done it by now.

Why not ask and if the person doesn't oblige give them a day off?

I understand in an active community like this it's hard to have "positive moderation" but... We really need more positive moderation.

It's the lack of transparency and communication that is the real problem when it comes to moderation in my opinion.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I know this seems like a really good gotcha, but the total lack of transparency on the decision making is exactly why so many posters have a simmering resentment towards the staff. It takes ten seconds to explain this stuff to users, but instead it caused hours of drama.
Sincere question: Has there ever....like, fucking ever....been a controversy where the mods were not at the fault and it was the community being irrationally angry at them and then used that anger to justify hostility wrongly?

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017

Many users idea of transparency is having each and every staff action being branded and tagged to a specific mod.

This was the way it worked for years with warnings until that was changed about a year ago precisely because many users, upon receiving warnings would PM the mod who issued the warning, since their name was attached to the acknowledgement message, in order to harass and bully them. Bans, being more harsher staff action than warnings rightfully never got the same treatment because that would have only lead to more harassment.

Don't get me startined on hypothetical Modbot implementation either. If era used a similar system gaf did for years in order to make staff decisions easier and not tied to a specific mod, possibly leading to more public explanations of staff decisions due to modbot posts being anonymous, such a thing would only garner even more posts about staff "hiding things" and complaints about the lack of transparency.

You can call that "transparency" or "accountability" all you want but that doesn't change the fact that the system didn't work and only led to the staff, many in here supposedly now care about, being burned out and quitting or afraid to issue warnings for fear of harassment.

Most people don't want real transparency, they just want a quick, direct outlet and a name to take out their anger and disagreement in regards to staff action on.

Oct 25, 2017
Users: "Why do mods always resort to bans instead of giving people warnings or less harsh actions so that they can learn?"

Mods: -Proceed to use a tool other than a ban meant exactly for the purpose of cooling someone off-

Users:

535529261512261632.png

Users: "Power hungry mods! I knew they couldn't be trusted!"

Yeah, it would be totally impossible to junior the user AFTER creating a second thread. Once a second thread is made the only possible option would be a ban. It is the way.

Deleted member 15311

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
Fact of the matter is, when Era started, you could say some of the most transphobic or racist shit and get, what, a one day ban? A warning? Which are going to do what to curb the behavior, exactly, especially when many members don't take those actions to reflect on why they were actioned. They just wait the ban out and then endeavor to continue shitting up the place. We routinely look at older actions and cringe at how light they are compared to just how awful the posts were. Staff back then were less willing, less educated, and/or less equipped to want to go in and try to handle bigotry and issues of intersectionality on the scale we endeavor to, and as a person who was a normal member at the time, I kinda hated it myself- seeing a bunch of whites get away with all manner of anti-Black foolishness. The TransEra meetings and BlackEra meetings were ultimately about telling us to get our shit together and to actually start trying to live up to leftist ideals. So if y'all have a problem with how heavy-handed we are when it comes to how often longer bans are handed out, you need to say it to them. This disconnect didn't come out of nowhere. It came from the fact that a group of well-meaning folks inherited and became stewards of the community of NeoGAF, and, well... look at NeoGAF. Square peg in round hole. Just don't say staff aren't trying though.

Imma be honest, chief.

There aren't many, if any, gaming forums out there of this active size with a staff team that gives as much of a damn about trying to foster a spirit of intersectionality as much as we do. Meetings with minority groups? Intentionally promoting people of a minority status? Allowing these members to oversee and have final issues pertinent to them? Changing rule sets and implementing new features to better serve people's needs? Curtailing the presence of a major AAA title because it was transphobic? Intentionally trying to learn about world issues so that we are better equipped than we would otherwise to deal with disputes? Donation drives?

Praytell where the fuck else are these efforts happening elsewhere on the Internet? Please tell me so I can steal their rule set and maybe make my life easier.

I don't feel as the actual ownership has mattered as much to the communal intentions of Era as what is being portrayed here. You all said it yourself; Cerium has not had a big presence, and yet staff have gone out of their way to at least try on behalf of you all for these last four years. So long as MOBA allows me to continue banning stupid crackery, then I'll stay. I should hope others will stay aboard as well.
ERA is absolutely the most inclusive gaming space of this size that I know of, yeah. Even during the ups and downs and even when voicing my own frustrations, it's still been a better place than any other gaming space of this size, and is why I've never had the thought of leaving. I get the vibe that ERA is being run by people who care, even through the mistakes and learning experiences along the way, and I've seen the improvements over the years, I haven't felt like I've gone totally unheard or that it's worthless to stick around. Like, this place was (and still is) one of the places that has helped me come to terms with my gender identity, transitioning, and all of the brain-funk that comes with it. It still feels wild to me that I was given the space to feel safe to do so on a gaming forum of all places.

Trafalgar Law

Nov 6, 2017
Dude. You literally have two actions, one of which was a ban for posting NSFW stuff, and another was a warning for dismissiveness. Not even a ban.

I mean, come on dude. Really? This is considered harsh treatment? As someone who has been permabanned from the ActiBlizz forums with nary a regret for a single anti-bigot thing I posted there (especially since their company is on fire right now hahahahahaha I win you stupid fucks), forgive me if I'm not being all that sympathetic to you.

And yeah, on a site with some 50,000 anonymous strangers from around the world that is heavily monitored due to the demographics involved, you're not going to be able to talk like it's a 30 member Discord. I don't even do that, and I'm a goddamn admin. In terms of sheer numbers, there's an infinitesimally small amount of people on here I'd consider a true friend.

Now, we try our best to let certain things play out of it's a situation we cannot reasonably make a ruling on because they lay at an intersection between two marginalized communities (although even then, I personally try to stay out of these conversations because they're no business of white folks anyway). But I think a big mistake some people have made it treating ResetEra like their all in their life, like a place where you can be, or should be, allowed to "tell it like it is" and be as raw as possible at the expense of others' time here or the entire rule set, and then taking any punishment that comes their way as a result of lack of tact as a personal slight from a staff that personally hates them.

Like, it's the absolute most.
Again adding a context it was a bigger picture point , not if todays thread but in general

I think this post below encapsulates some issues :

Yeah, these are totally legit bans in that thread. Let's take a look at some of them that you claim are from white people (weird thing to assume) are doing any of the things you claim.

A two week ban for simply saying "Jesus Christ, Era..." Banned for not being outraged, or outraged at the correct thing I guess?
www.resetera.com

IGN Middle East: No, Jim Ryan - Gaming In The Middle East Existed Long Before PlayStation News - Sony

Damn shit, an old rich white man said something controversial and wrong? I gotta jump to his defense!! What the hell is wrong with some people lol

Ban for attempting to provide context or extrapolate from a single off the cuff remark.
www.resetera.com

IGN Middle East: No, Jim Ryan - Gaming In The Middle East Existed Long Before PlayStation News - Sony

https://me.ign.com/en/ps5/190381/feature/no-jim-ryan-gaming-in-the-middle-east-existed-long-before-playstation From the article, some names weighing in: I'm not even really sure what to make of a statement like that. It's... very obviously wrong. Did he think nobody would notice a lie...

Banned for "metacommentary" because you aren't allowed to take issue with happenings on the very forums they're posting on?
www.resetera.com

No, I read it as the Middle East had no access to gaming and PlayStation was the pioneer.

A week ban for saying "This place really doesn't like Jim Ryan I see..." nothing more, nothing less. It's a simple remark, but if you somehow see "white people" or a defense of a brand, I think that's on you.
www.resetera.com

PlayStation Studios |OT23| Marvel at the Creative Bankruptcy Sony

The first announcements were that there would be a P5 concert, stage play, all Persona anime's were now available for streaming in Japan and the games were going on sale. The next announcement is set for December.

Banned for a week with the reason of "trolling in a sensitive thread." This is their "trolling" remark:
www.resetera.com

https://me.ign.com/en/ps5/190381/feature/no-jim-ryan-gaming-in-the-middle-east-existed-long-before-playstation From the article, some names weighing in: I'm not even really sure what to make of a statement like that. It's... very obviously wrong. Did he think nobody would notice a lie...

Banned for "trolling" for saying Jim Ryan has always been an idiot. Again, much like the other ones, I'm not sure how this has anything to do with race and it sure wasn't someone defending the leader of their brand. So even when going along with the forced discourse, that person still caught a ban. Very consistent.
www.resetera.com

PlayStation Studios |OT23| Marvel at the Creative Bankruptcy Sony

Im now convinced that Jim ryan could literally say anything and it would be controversial. As if Jim Ryan wouldn’t have better gaming data in the 90’s about regional gaming than people anecdotes about owning an nes and their friend owning and snes

This one is really good too because they had a long, well thought out post but they were warned. Their post was providing some measured level of response to another user's comment. Context where there was none previously was provided. But they were warned for "Justifying an inflammatory comparison." The kicker is that the supposedly "inflammatory comparison" post they quoted does not appear to be actioned at all.

Then consider the issue now dropped. You say and believe what you will. Even with the receipts there will be no changing that, clearly. I'd certainly hate to catch a ban for discussing the inconsistent and disappointing mod behavior that was brought up purely because a mod requested it.

Indeed.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Why not ask and if the person doesn't oblige give them a day off?

I understand in an active community like this it's hard to have "positive moderation" but... We really need more positive moderation.
Again, our current style is the result of direct feedback and precedent. We're not acting by the seat of our pants here. If I could trust that I could ask people, in an environment that is as hostile to staff as Era is, to stop being shitty, and it won't backfire in my face, potentially into another fucking exodus, then I would.

Like hell, people are relitigating bans about racism in a thread about a corporate buyout. You underestimate how much members will approach us in good faith.

I agree that we can definitely use more ways to reward positive contributors beyond tags, but ultimately the fact is we tried being nice. Our minority communities said that wasn't good enough.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seik...Is this true? You found out about your Junior status because you went to create another thread?
I made this thread in EtcetEra.

www.resetera.com

I believe there is a conversation to be had about ERA new owners and affiliations details.

Hey all, Most of you are probably aware, thanks to the warning up there, that ERA is no longer owned by a solo member of the community and was sold for 4.5M$ to MOBA Network by Cerium. Which, understandably after this deed, seemingly ran off with the money to never return again, for obvious...

It got locked after 18 posts and I got my thread making priviledges removed, no warning.

I was here since GAF/founding of ERA. I deleted all my retro gaming threads on GAF to have them here. And the moment I do something to inform the community about what's going on, which seems to goe against the will of the staff, I get juniored?

Good fucking luck holding this fort, guys, real good classy look right there, Jesus Christ.

I was NOT going to make a second thread, you guys are good enough putting that clown make-up all by yourselves real good.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Many users idea of transparency is having each and every staff action being branded and tagged to a specific mod.

This was the way it worked for years with warnings until that was changed about a year ago precisely because many users, upon receiving warnings would PM the mod who issued the warning, since their name was attached to the acknowledgement message, in order to harass and bully them.

You can call that "transparency" or "accountability" all you want but that doesn't change the fact that the system didn't work and only led to the staff, many in here supposedly now care about, being burned out and quitting or afraid to issue warnings for fear of harassment.

Most people don't want real transparency, they just want a quick, direct outlet and a name to take out their anger and disagreement in regards to staff action on.

Oh, I remember this... I'm gonna try and not remember this. :\

Status
Not open for further replies.