Status
Not open for further replies.

Hecht

Pushin’ me down, pushin’ me down, pushin’ me down
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
RMsnqLK.png

Notes:
  • We would like to thank Rösti, tgrfawcett, B-Dubs, ColdSun, ghostcrew, DownUnderCoder, and all of the site staff for putting in the work for this year's annual Game of the Year vote.
  • As in years past, this year's trophy and banners were designed and created by the inimitable Rösti!
  • We would also like to thank the community for voting and commenting. ResetEra GotY is a celebration of your favorites.
  • 2023 voting thread

Top 20 Games of 2023
sE0xAiI.png

1. The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom - 1661 points

Breath of the Wild was one of the most incredible gaming experiences, truly making me feel like a child again with the huge open world and being able to go almost anywhere and everywhere as soon as you leave the plateau. I was always day one on the sequel, but even I had a little hesitation and worry when the marketing for the game was strangely silent on the new additions until we saw the deep dive. Ultrahand, Rewind, and Ascend are all fantastic abilities that truly change the way players interact with not only enemies but Hyrule itself. The many contraptions, invetions, and gadgets people have created dominated social media discussion for most of the year and we still see people experimenting with it. The addition of the sky and underground gives even more verticality, caves are scattered about and reward adventurers that check every nook and cranny, and the temples themselves often have a stretch leading up to it that makes those portions part of the experience that get closer to classic dungeons. Truly incredible and the ending fight with accompanying music is one of the strongest end sequences to any video game period.
This game needs to be studied by scientists for decades to come, what kind of devilry did Nintendo conjure to create this game. There are multiple gameplay mechanics where any one of them added to any other game would break the game completely. Not only do all these wild, mind blowing mechanics all work perfectly but they work perfectly together. I can't think of a single player action adventure game that allows more freedom in how to do anything, I would watch videos for hours on YouTube of people coming up with the most incredible devices and contraptions. Yes I know, do you really need to use a tank with 15 lasers to kill these easy enemies, no you can play the game like a boring old Zelda game and it has some of the same repetition issues BOTW has BUT that freedom to be creative really helped make the adventure feel different.
There's little that I can say that's not been said plenty of time before, but Tears of the Kingdom is a triumphant sequel to Breath of the Wild. Once again we have a suitably epic story to provide impetus for the gameplay, spanning the history of Hyrule, and with some unusually heart-wrenching moments. The game map is tweaked just enough to feel fresh alongside introducing a novel set of new puzzle-solving mechanics, and the introduction of additional 'layers' with the underground depths and the skies above adds a great deal to the exploration - even if that sometimes brings a bit of frustration. Throughout, the way that miniature puzzles are woven into the world is inspired and the sheer quantity (and quality!) of detail that's packed in means that there's rarely a time that you'll not find something of interest as you explore.

medE1oB.png

2. Baldur's Gate 3 - 1545 points

I love Divinity: Original Sin 1 and 2, so I was already on board for Larian's next project before it was even announced as Baldur's Gate 3. The developer has taken its CRPG pedigree to a new level though - BG3's narrative craft and roleplaying mechanics are best in class and shine consistently. Though the main plot doesn't dazzle in its originality, the depth of its characterization, sidequests, and small moments coalesce into an incredible storytelling accomplishment. Meanwhile, the many permutations in its story and moment-to-moment interactions based on class, race, and other factors feels like the closest thing yet to play a tabletop RPG in video game form. I also have to give Baldur's Gate 3 credit for having the most impressive co-op mode I've ever encountered - my wife and I played through the whole game together and got into all kinds of out-of-the-box hijinks and combat scenarios because it truly promotes player freedom, even in multiplayer.
It's not often that a traditional, party-based RPG can join the hall of the all-time greats. The push for cinematic games presented traditional RPGs with a conundrum: either move to an action system and drop party control, or maintain a turn based or RTwP structure at the expense of cinematic flair. Baldur's Gate 3 successfully threads the needle. The story is gripping, and this is one of very few games that manages to succeed at making both the central plot and the individual narratives of each party member be great on their own but also well integrated with each other. The interactions with your party members and other major characters are presented in an appropriately cinematic manner to help give the story its epic tone. The turn-based combat is a dream come true; the entire D&D ruleset but possible to engage with on a human timescale.

BxxiB86.png

3. Alan Wake II - 880 points

The atmosphere, presentation and just awesome weirdness of this game kept me completely hooked from start to finish. Remedy had a specific vision for this game and really went all out. The blend of live action was great, the music and audio design was perfection, the locations were varied and incredibly realised. The combat was tense and fun enough, but not the main focus. Switching between Alan and Saga also worked really well, Saga is a great new character and it kept things fresh bouncing between them. One of the most beautiful games I've ever played, that lighting was incredible.
Holy fuck what an incredible game. Mixing Lynchian absurdity and survival horror with Remedy's style, AW2 is a game that I never expected to get after the first game flopped, and I was thrilled to see Sam Lake get his chance to follow up all these years later after their success with Control. Returning to Bright Falls all these years later as things go down again, this time with bits of Control (and totally-not-Max Payne, played by in-universe Sam Lake the fake actor, written and portrayed by actual Sam Lake lol) sprinkled in, the game is such a joy. It's beautiful on a technical and artist level, the character models are incredibly detailed and wonderfully voiced, the blending of FMV and game in that Remedy style is as good as ever, the writing is excellent, and the vibes are exactly what I wanted all these years later. While I think the combat is good, it's still probably the worst part of the game and still lends to some awesome moments. This is everything and more that I wanted in a sequel to Alan Wake, and while we may never see another one, Remedy went all-out with AW2 and nailed it.

KbnY0qK.png

4. Super Mario Bros. Wonder - 859 points

A new voice for Mario. Addictive 2D Mario courses with surprises around every corner and what felt like new enemies or things to do in every level. Taking 2D Mario forward to give it a new lease on life for the future with lessons taken from Mario Maker, the Mario movie, and classic Mario to make something new and wonderful.
Mario's iconicity isn't merely a result of good games, but also because as a character he embodies Nintendo's unparalleled inventive approach to game design. Wonder is finally the game that re-injects the drive to innovate into the 2D side of games and delivering what may be in contention for one of the best 2D Mario games ever, and a game that's definitely in the pantheon for one of the best 2D platformers. This game, and a certain other Nintendo game released this year, extols the virtues of Nintendo's "take your time" approach to design, with them stressing that they never set a deadline for conceptualizing the game. In a post Mario Maker world it almost felt like a necessity to overperform, but the remarkable end package still manages to come across as a surprise. It feels borderline criminal that we hadn't gotten more of this from Nintendo up until now, but the catharsis of getting a 2D Mario game this well animated, this visually appealing, with this many unique ideas per level, and experimenting with progression by offering sub-plots across different worlds is intensely cathartic.

S9vqzjc.png

5. Resident Evil 4 (Remake) - 815 points

Resident Evil 4 original has long stood as one of the most memorable games in my personal gaming history, and that's far from an original take. The remake had huge shoes to fill, and I feel like the team behind this remake took that tall task in carefully-executed stride! I personally came away from this remake feeling that they managed to bring over all of the most memorable qualities of the original and improve on a great deal of them. I was almost worried before this game released that the campy action movie vibe would be lost, but it's totally here and totally amplified, delivering on the highest of my hopes. What a game.
I don't envy the team that worked on this game, having the burden of reimagining one of the most influential works in an entire medium, but they actually managed to make just about all of the right choices in doing so. For example: in making Leon more mobile this time around, the enemies needed to move quicker too, but in doing so made them so much more effective offensively, and so to counter THAT they added parrying as a defensive option (which itself is balanced by knife durability). Somehow, while messing with the original's perfect balance in order to make it feel more like a modern game, they ended up landing at something that feels well-rounded itself while being completely different. RE4R is an incredible example of knowing what to change about a remake and what to leave alone

BmQgStq.png

6. Marvel's Spider-Man 2 - 705 points

It's rare that a game's mechanics and loose ends are compelling enough to keep me playing after the credits roll, but Spider-Man 2 was one of only two games this year that drew me all the way to the platinum trophy. While it's clearly iterating on the already compelling Spider-Man and Miles Morales experiences, I was impressed with the gameplay variety, spectacle, and new traversal mechanics. Virtually everything was meaningfully improved upon to create my ideal gaming experience for the year, and I grinned at homages to game after classic game that made their appearance along the way.
One of the most impressive games I have ever played from both a technical and gameplay perspective. Nothing is wasted in this game, every side misson and location on the map is an absolute blast. Combat is fast and fluid and works perfectly. The story had me interested the entire time and the set pieces are second to none. Just moving around NYC is a treat to the eyes and the thumbs. Top 10 games of all time imo.

OCpWc40.png

7. Final Fantasy XVI - 564 points

When firing at all cylinders it's captivating, spectacular, satisfying to play and impossible to put down, with the highest of highs I've ever experienced in a video game. Much like a rollercoaster, the game has to take you from up to down and it's during the downtime that you are kept grounded and attached to the world with a lots of interesting scenarios and side stories that are in support of the main themes the game is going for. These themes such as fighting back against fate and strength in community are relatively simple and nothing new. But some strong presentation, acting and cutscene direction in the main quest with the fleshing out done by side quests make sure what the game is going for is delivered very well. It's in many ways a relatively simple game that wears it's heart on it's sleeve. Marrying that with the ridiculously expressively combat system and some of the best setpieces in any game, leave my personal favorite game of 2023.
No contest. Even with its faults, I simply didn't experience such thrills with any other game as I did with FF XVI. Clive is one of the best protagonists of the saga, and the entire cast of main characters is very memorable, and their personalities are only enhanced by the incredible work done by their respective voice actors. The soundtrack is also the best one I listened to this year. People have praised Soken for years, but it was with this game that I came to know and admire his talent. And I can't close my opinion without mentioning the battle with Bahamut. It was the most epic moment I've experienced in video games in years.

nhi5Hz2.png

8. Hi-Fi Rush - 529 points

My pick for Game of the Year last year was Pentiment, a game released late enough that it pretty much missed the cut-off for the big awards. So it's a little amusing that my pick for this year, Hi-Fi Rush, was released so early in a year that people have called one of the best for game releases, that there was also a worry it might be forgotten. Well, if even if it was at large, it certainly wasn't by me, nor will it for any time soon. Such a perfect gameplay mix of the character action and rhythm genres, it makes you wonder why nobody had done it earlier. Arguably coming with not one, but two soundtracks, a cast of characters out of a Saturday morning cartoon with the fun - and occasionally emotional - story to match, and an incredible art style reminiscent of the Jet Set Radios of the world, Hi-Fi Rush was my game of the year for 2023 from the start all the way through to the end.
A surprise in every sense of the word. For Tango to make such a dramatic pivot and to do so with such success is a hell of an accomplishment. This game combines an absolutely incredible sense of style, fun and accessible rhythm combat, a killer soundtrack of original and licensed music, and characters that really win you over by the end of their journey to make a complete package in the truest sense of the word. A perfectly realized idea from start to finish and easily my favorite game of the year.

tItaFhr.png

9. Street Fighter 6 - 455 points

Put simply, Street Fighter 6 is the gold standard of a fighting game release, not just in 2023 but quite possibly in general. Right here is a game oozing as much swagger as the characters doing the pre match walk out, a fighting game with a full single player campaign that can teach genre fundamentals as you play, it strikes a balance between bringing back the most well known classic characters and introducing a whole batch of instant hit newcomers that then proceed to steal the show.
This is the kind of fighting game that reminds me why i like fighting games so much. I didn't really think it was possible to have a fighting game that's both beginner friendly and full of endless mechanical depth, but somehow Capcom pulled it off. As someone who often thinks "player expression" is a nonsense buzzword, I genuinely think SF6 is a game where you can see someone's personality through their playstyle; It's one of the few games where I love mirror matches because no one really plays my character the exact way I do so it's always a learning experience. That's why I still love SF6 after playing hundreds of hours; I'm always learning.

raiw1p7.png

10. Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon - 378 points

This one's gotta be the one that put the biggest smile on my face this year. Having been a fan of the franchise since Armored Core 3, I had been yearning for a return to these games since Verdict Day, and it always just felt like this series was put on the back burner for FROMSOFT with the insane success of the souls games. Since the initial reveal at last year's Game Awards, this game was at the top of my list for this year, and to say that FROMSOFT stuck the landing would be the biggest of understatements. The took the bar and propelled it into heights that I didn't even think were possible with this franchise, from the right gameplay, the level design, the boss encounters, the customization, the music, just a damn near perfect complete package for me as far as what I was looking for in a return to these games. So happy to see this game make such a triumphant return, and I can't wait to see what the team has in store for us in the future. ARMORED CORE IS BACK BAYBEEEEEE.
I just wanna gush about it: the gameplay is weirdly both cozy and extremely satisfying, the missions structure makes for an incredibly replayable game, the art style knocks it out of the park and, the most surprising aspect, the story turned out to be a highlight with emotional guts wrenching moments and a compelling mystery. On top of all that, it's just a freaking cool game ! Weaving through a bazillion missiles and lasers you can barely make sense just gets me hyped in a way few things do. It might even be better than Elden Ring. FROM really outdid themselves with this one. They even got my to play through it 3 times in a row on release... and I'll be sure to replay it eventually.

11. Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty - 358 points

First, I'm just such a fan of the genre and many any of its touchstone films are amoung my absolute favorites. We very rarely get AAA games set in that mileu and CD Projekt Red absolutely knocked it out of the park. In doing so they delivered a thoughtful, human, and earnest adaptation of the world Mike Pondsmith created all those years ago with the first edition of the Cyberpunk TTRPG. Cyberpunk 2077 and Phantom Liberty are bursting with humanity, light, darkness, heart, corruption, evil, depravity, joy, and hope. Dogtown is a wonderful backdrop for the the espionage thriller story and an absolute blast as a place to just play around and go nuts with your character. Phantom Liberty completes Cyberpunk 2077 and underscores just how rich, detailed, and lived in the setting feels and the writing and character just take it over the top. It's a game and world that knows exactly what I like, messy people and good stories along with some really fun and engaging gameplay.

12. Lies of P - 346 points

What made me fall for Lies of P at the start was the fantastic weapon system. I love how you can kitbash blades and handles together to create the type of weapon you want. You like that Salamander dagger, but want to improve that range? Just slap the blade on a long handle. Like that bonesaw, but you made a dex build? Just slap the saw on a dex handle and you're good. I loved messing around with the different combos. But aside from that, the complete package here is super polished. Great boss fights, good level design with all killer and no filler... and a memorable hub in Hotel Krat. Every time I put on a record, did the rounds talking to people, tested some weapons (training dummies, yay!) or just soaked in the atmo... It all felt so cozy and warm. I lost track of time more than once in this game, I was very much absorbed.

13. Octopath Traveler II - 335 points

No game I've played this year comes close to how good OTII is. I'm happy it's being shown so much love in this thread because it feels like it flew under most people's radar. Yet, it has a killer OST, fantastic combat, better-than-average exploration and, of course, its best quality: 8 different characters, each with a unique and, generally, thoughtful narrative that could stand proudly on its own in any other game! In particular, Castti, Throné, and Osvald's stories are phenomenal and will forever stay with me.

14. Star Wars Jedi: Survivor - 318 points

What do you get when you take a reasonably competent but clearly in need of improvement freshman attempt at a third person action/adventure game and address nearly every single complaint users had with the original game? One of the strongest 3D Metroidvania games in years. Jedi Survivor takes bits of the first game's Soulslike inspiration but widens the scope massively, resulting in a far more balanced, far deeper, and far more enjoyable experience than the original game. I enjoyed spending another adventure with Cal, Merrin and the crew and hope Respawn is able to continue their upward trajectory with the third game.

15. Pikmin 4 - 316 points

There is no moment that better captures the tonal uniqueness of the Pikmin franchise as a whole than a large group of Pikmin joyously singing in harmony as they carry the corpse of a giant dead creature back to base to be processed. The appeal of Pikmin's gameplay is the continual balance of serenity and danger, with a beautiful, lush world that is familiar as it is bizarrely alien. It's a combination of various garden locales, beaches, caves, sewers, house interiors, all explored from a micro perspective. Even the most basic household items have now become delightfully gigantic in scale...As a newcomer to the franchise, Pikmin 4 is an excellent installment for new players and veterans alike...

16. Starfield - 310 points

BGS delivers again with a gameplay loop that is uniquely their own, this time with a brand new setting & IP.

Love the NASA-punk vibe. They nailed the hard science aesthetic, and landing exclusively on next-gen hardware, the attention to detail is just out of this world. Bonus props to the retro-future industrial design, everything from computers/hardware to architecture & fashion design. The maps are a joy to navigate and lush with detail & ambiance. And the visual variety on offer from one planet to the next is really sweet with the number of unique topographical biomes you can come across.

Starfield is what I come to BGS games for...that, Oingo Boingo-esq "Who do you want to be today?" open-ended freedom that lets one tailor their game sessions specifically to any mood. At any moment there's like a dozen different things I can be doing and I absolutely love that I can engage with the game on my own terms every time I fire it up. It's a great sense of freedom & possibility.

17. Dead Space (Remake) - 288 points

Motive knocked it out of the park. I've always loved the Dead Space franchise and while the first game had the most memorable setting, its sequel quickly upstaged pretty much all aspects of gameplay. Motive has done several incredible things with the remake: they've introduced Dead Space 2 gameplay mechanics into the first game, drastically improving things like the zero-g sections and making kinesis a viable offensive alternative, they've given Isaac a voice, and they've reworked the design of the Ishimura into a fully connected, fully traversable, living ship. The result is the game you remember Dead Space being back in 2008 (and makes going back to the original all the more bracing when you realize how much more fully fleshed out the remake is). Hopefully EA will drown them in cash to continue remaking/making the Dead Space franchise for years to come. GOTY (and one of the GOATs).

18. Cocoon - 283 points

Cocoon came out of nowhere to absolutely ensorcell me for the brief, but mesmerizing journey. It felt incredibly innovative and universal in its communication regarding the mechanics leading to many moments of profound satisfaction while solving a puzzle that stopped me in my tracks for a few minutes at a time or longer. Brilliant game that made me feel brilliant.

19. Metroid Prime Remastered - 273 points

Metroid Prime is one of my favorite games of all time. It feels a bit like cheating to put a remaster up here, but it feels less that way when you actually look at the game. No one needs to hear again why Metroid Prime is one of the greatest games ever made, but the work on the remaster deserves recognition. With every single visual aspect completely remade, Metroid Prime Remastered is probably the absent looking Switch game out there and doesn't look out of place next to other current gen titles. It's gorgeous, and unlike some other visual remakes (looking at you, Halo CE Anniversary), it perfectly preserves and even enhances the look, feel, and general atmosphere of the original.

20. Diablo IV - 222 points

I just cannot stop playing, I love what was delivered here. A big part of the world that has been mentioned or visited in sections since the first diablo entry is now fully available to explore! Key characters have been given proper attention and even the new cast blends in properly. Blizzard hasn't written something this good since warcraft III personally. I found really ironic how Inarius, an angel, which should be seen as this 'holy' entity is just being selfish for his own goals and the demon Lilith has actually more compassion for their own son(s). And how one of the main villains of the series is just perfectly setup to become the main adversary in the next chapter of this entry.

OP
OP
Hecht

Hecht

Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Overall | Genre | Platform | Impact | Data

Genre Awards

Information
NOTE: If a category did not have at least the top 3 games with more than 1 vote cast each, then it was discarded.

Tcbl0Qh.png

Best Action Game
  1. Hi-Fi Rush - 529 points
  2. Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon - 378 points
  3. Bomb Rush Cyberfunk - 44 points
  4. HoloCure - Save The Fans! - 36 points
  5. Aliens: Dark Descent - 17 points
  6. Gravity Circuit - 11 points (tie)
  7. Wanted: Dead - 11 points (tie)
  8. DoDonPachi Blissful Death Re:Incarnation - 10 points
  9. Ghostrunner 2 - 9 points
  10. En Garde! - 8 points (tie)
  11. The Making of Karateka - 8 points (tie)
  12. Voidigo - 8 points (tie)

4UmPoWU.png

Best Action-Adventure Game
  2. Marvel's Spider-Man 2 - 705 points
  3. Star Wars Jedi: Survivor - 318 points
  4. Metroid Prime Remastered - 273 points
  5. Like a Dragon Gaiden: The Man Who Erased His Name - 127 points
  6. Blasphemous 2 - 59 points
  7. God of War Ragnarok: Valhalla - 58 points
  8. System Shock - 51 points
  9. Horizon Forbidden West: Burning Shores - 50 points
  10. Like a Dragon: Ishin! - 43 points

zvps3ly.png

Best Action RPG
  1. Final Fantasy XVI - 564 points
  2. Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty - 358 points
  3. Lies of P - 346 points
  4. Starfield - 310 points
  5. Diablo IV - 222 points
  6. Star Ocean: The Second Story R - 62 points
  7. Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty - 41 points
  8. Lords of the Fallen - 29 points
  9. Forspoken - 21 points
  10. Atomic Heart - 17 points (tie)
  11. Labyrinth of Galleria: The Moon Society - 17 points (tie)

n79QpS6.png

Best Adventure Game
  1. Chants of Sennaar - 117 points
  2. Dave the Diver - 88 points
  3. Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective - 42 points (tie)
  4. Slay the Princess - 42 points (tie)
  5. Paranormasight: The Seven Mysteries of Honjo - 41 points (tie)
  6. Venba - 41 points (tie)
  7. A Space for the Unbound - 30 points
  8. Master Detective Archives: Rain Code - 26 points
  9. The Case of the Golden Idol - 20 points
  10. Goodbye Volcano High - 17 points

Zm4CUY4.png

Best Fighting Game
  1. Street Fighter 6 - 455 points
  2. Mortal Kombat 1 - 36 points
  3. Granblue Fantasy Versus: Rising - 29 points
  4. Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl 2 - 7 points

mNwTzXg.png

Best Horror Game
  1. Alan Wake II - 880 points
  2. Resident Evil 4 - 815 points
  3. Dead Space - 288 points
  4. Amnesia: The Bunker - 21 points
  5. Little Goody Two Shoes - 16 points
  6. Resident Evil 4 VR - 15 points (tie)
  7. Resident Evil Village VR - 15 points (tie)
  8. Homebody - 8 points (tie)
  9. Resident Evil 4: Separate Ways - 8 points (tie)
  10. Barotrauma - 7 points (tie)
  11. Fatal Frame: Mask of the Lunar Eclipse - 7 points (tie)

aePEkBC.png

Best Party Game
  1. Party Animals - 9 points
  2. WarioWare: Move It! - 7 points
  3. Headbangers: Rhythm Royale - 3 points
  4. The Jackbox Party Pack 10 - 2 points

ADLqQlr.png

Best Platformer
  1. Super Mario Bros. Wonder - 859 points
  2. Jusant - 105 points
  3. Pizza Tower - 92 points
  4. A Highland Song - 16 points (tie)
  5. Sonic Superstars - 16 points (tie)
  6. Sonic Origins Plus - 7 points
  7. SpongeBob SquarePants: The Cosmic Shake - 6 points
  8. Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe - 5 points (tie)
  9. Rogue Legacy 2 - 5 points (tie)
  10. Astral Ascent - 4 points (tie)
  11. Rain World: Downpour - 4 points (tie)

LgbpZJm.png

Best Puzzle Game
  1. Cocoon - 283 points
  2. Humanity - 83 points
  3. The Talos Principle 2 - 75 points
  4. Planet of Lana - 27 points (tie)
  5. Void Stranger - 27 points (tie)
  6. Viewfinder - 25 points
  7. Suika Game - 21 points
  8. Teardown - 10 points
  9. The Roottrees are Dead - 7 points
  10. Connections - 6 points

YsJP3HI.png

Best Racing Game
  1. F-Zero 99 - 60 points
  2. Gran Turismo 7 VR - 27 points
  3. The Crew Motorfest - 17 points
  4. Forza Motorsport - 16 points
  5. EA Sports WRC - 6 points
  6. F1 23 - 5 points (tie)
  7. Rocket Racing - 5 points (tie)

NtvmnO6.png

Best RPG
  1. Baldur's Gate 3 - 1545 points
  2. Octopath Traveler II - 335 points
  3. Xenoblade Chronicles 3: Future Redeemed - 171 points
  4. Sea of Stars - 169 points
  5. Fire Emblem Engage - 132 points
  6. Super Mario RPG - 126 points
  7. Dredge - 106 points
  8. Honkai: Star Rail - 71 points
  9. Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader - 34 points
  10. Cassette Beasts - 26 points (tie)
  11. World of Horror - 26 points (tie)

S4Ueuh5.png

Best Shooter
  1. Remnant 2 - 99 points
  2. RoboCop: Rogue City - 74 points
  3. Exoprimal - 23 points
  4. The Finals - 20 points (tie)
  5. Turbo Overkill - 20 points (tie)
  6. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III - 19 points
  7. Hitman World of Assassination - 17 points
  8. Counter-Strike 2 - 12 points (tie)
  9. Redfall - 12 points (tie)
  10. Returnal - 12 points (tie)

bXWn7Sb.png

Best Simulation
  1. Against the Storm - 69 points
  2. Cities: Skylines II - 12 points (tie)
  3. Coral Island - 12 points (tie)
  4. SteamWorld Build - 6 points
  5. Terra Nil - 5 points

Avw19lm.png

Best Sports Game
  1. Football Manager 2024 - 13 points
  2. MLB The Show 23 - 9 points
  3. Omega Strikers - 6 points
  4. Walkabout Mini Golf - 5 points

uqmQlQO.png

Best Strategy Game
  1. Pikmin 4 - 316 points
  2. Shadow Gambit: The Cursed Crew - 42 points
  3. Advance Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp - 28 points
  4. Jagged Alliance 3 - 23 points
  5. Marvel's Midnight Suns - 19 points
  6. Age of Wonders 4 - 17 points
  7. Cobalt Core - 13 points
  8. Marvel Snap - 7 points
  9. Crash Team Rumble - 6 points

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hecht

Hecht

Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Information
Vote totals for games in this section count only votes for that specific platform.

Platform Awards
OREKOKZ.png

Best Nintendo Switch Game
  2. Super Mario Bros. Wonder - 859 points
  3. Pikmin 4 - 316 points
  4. Metroid Prime Remastered - 273 points
  5. Xenoblade Chronicles 3: Future Redeemed - 171 points
  6. Octopath Traveler II - 142 points
  7. Fire Emblem Engage - 132 points
  8. Super Mario RPG - 126 points
  9. Theatrhythm Final Bar Line - 92 points
  10. F-Zero 99 - 60 points

fRs7thY.png

Best PC Game
  1. Baldur's Gate 3 - 1101 points
  2. Alan Wake II - 299 points
  3. Resident Evil 4 - 262 points
  4. Hi-Fi Rush - 249 points
  5. Street Fighter 6 - 194 points
  6. Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty - 189 points
  7. Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon - 151 points
  8. Lies of P - 140 points
  9. Cocoon - 114 points
  10. Starfield - 105 points

VGs8sR2.png

Best PS4 Game
  1. Theatrhythm Final Bar Line - 44 points
  2. Marvel's Midnight Suns - 10 points
  3. Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon - 9 points
  4. Street Fighter 6 - 8 points (tie)
  5. Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster - 8 points (tie)
  6. Like a Dragon Gaiden: The Man Who Erased His Name - 7 points
  7. Lies of P - 6 points (tie)
  8. Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective - 6 points (tie)
  9. DoDonPachi Blissful Death Re:Incarnation - 5 points

si4aJ4v.png

Best PS5 Game
  1. Marvel's Spider-Man 2 - 705 points
  2. Final Fantasy XVI - 564 points
  3. Resident Evil 4 - 459 points
  4. Alan Wake II - 421 points
  5. Baldur's Gate 3 - 361 points
  6. Street Fighter 6 - 214 points
  7. Star Wars Jedi: Survivor - 212 points
  8. Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon - 196 points
  9. Dead Space - 143 points
  10. Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty - 125 points

a6pMdq0.png

Best Xbox One Game
  1. Cocoon - 15 points
  2. Slayers X: Terminal Aftermath: Vengance of the Slayer - 3 points (tie)
  3. Planet of Lana - 3 points (tie)
  4. Marvel's Midnight Suns - 3 points (tie)
  5. Like a Dragon: Ishin! - 3 points (tie)
  6. Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective - 3 points (tie)

KjHCYVw.png

Best Xbox Series X/S Game
  1. Hi-Fi Rush - 280 points
  2. Starfield - 205 points
  3. Alan Wake II - 160 points
  4. Lies of P - 110 points
  5. Cocoon - 89 points
  6. Resident Evil 4 - 88 points
  7. Baldur's Gate 3 - 62 points
  8. Star Wars Jedi: Survivor - 56 points (tie)
  9. Diablo IV - 56 points (tie)
  10. Dead Space - 54

Mcu43PL.png

Best Mobile Game
  1. Honkai: Star Rail - 19 points
  2. Paranormasight: The Seven Mysteries of Honjo - 7 points
  3. Connections (Browser) - 6 points
  4. Resident Evil 4 - 5 points
  5. Shovel Knight Pocket Dungeon - 4 points
  6. Hello Kitty Island Adventure - 4 points

FWvIKre.png

Best Publisher
  1. Nintendo - 3685 points
  2. Larian Studios - 1545 points
  3. Capcom - 1398 points
  4. Square Enix - 1198 points
  5. Sony Interactive Entertainment - 892 points
  6. Epic Games Publishing - 885 points
  7. Bethesda Softworks - 877 points
  8. Electronic Arts - 632 points
  9. Bandai Namco Entertainment - 395 points
  10. CD Projekt Red - 358 points

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hecht

Hecht

Administrator
Oct 24, 2017

Games For Impact

OWgq1mr.png

1. Venba - 56 points

Venba is a bite-sized gaming experience that is no less impactful for its shorter length. It explores a poignant immigrant story between mother and son over the passing years via a series of chronological interactive vignettes, entwined around cooking and food. It is a deeply personal story as much as it is universal, as food is inseparable from culture, family, and memory. For the titular Venba, Tamil cuisine is a connection to her mother back in southern India, along with her husband Paavalan who she moved to Canada with, and is now a legacy to pass on to her son. For a young Kavin, food is a source of joy as much as misery, as it is yet another way of standing out instead of blending in. Venba is impeccably written and is a masterclass in scene writing. Each vignette starts at the last possible moment and ends at the earliest, and every single one is memorable and emotional. The game's narrative structure means that they could have become formulaic, but Venba keeps things unpredictable with some vignettes taking place in pivotal moments, whilst others are in the aftermath of events that happened off-screen. A tagline for the game could have been 'you'll cook and you'll cry'. All the characters are beautifully written with compassion, depth, and nuance. I felt the ache of experiencing young Kavin's actions through the eyes of his mother, seeing echoes of my younger self and wishing I could go back and make different choices.

2. Marvel's Spider-Man 2 - 26 points

I think there is a misconception that big-budget games can't be a part of this. I think while it is true that they don't give their full attention to social issues, they have a unique ability to reach a broader audience with important messaging. If a game (at any budget level) made you think more critically about yourself, a community, or a social issue it is a game for impact. Spider-Man 2 does well to highlight a wide variety of peoples and centers a message about service throughout. Hailey Cooper's FNSM app mission in particular is a great start towards making strides in highlighting the deaf community through gameplay in the AAA space. Acts of service--like those from the FNSM app and beyond--feel important. Spider-Man 2 (and its predecessors) do well to highlight that helping one person helps everyone. Further, I appreciate the time given to highlighting the cultural legacy of Black musicians from Harlem and how they continue to affect music at-large today. So yes, while Spider-Man 2 is a game largely about two men with the powers of spiders punching bad guys it still takes the time to make sure it isn't *just* about that.

3. A Space for the Unbound - 24 points

It's not entirely accurate to say that A Space for the Unbound could have only been set in 90s rural Indonesia. It is very reminiscent of the coming-of-age stories that came before it, and it will be very reminiscent of the ones that will come after it. It is more that: In capturing this particular portrait of this particular place during this particular time, the game generates a texture and temperature that are all its own, where setting and character are inextricably linked, where anyone might hold a power to change anything, precisely because we find ourselves in a place like this.

4. Baldur's Gate 3 - 23 points

Baldur's Gate 3 is refreshing to me not just with a diverse cast, but in a sense that the adults often actually act like communicative adults, about adult things. Sure you might have to win some dice rolls for a conversation option, but people were talking in the first place. Instead of "How COULD you!?" its "I don't have a problem with [x], but I expect us to talk about it first and get on the same page". Its not black and white, its not even shades of grey, its keeping the history and personality of characters in mind and the game actually meshes well with that a lot.

5. Tchia - 19 points

Tchia was a wholly enjoyable open-world that benefits greatly from adapting a real-world setting to delightful effect. It takes a lot of swings and there are plenty of misses, but it hits more often. The sailing and diving would make an enjoyable game all on their own! Beyond that, when the story veers into the mythological and heroic I do find that it has some interesting things to say. The eponymous heroine does stand directly against rapacious forces of consumption. It also features a tenderly-depicted queer teen romance that is consequential for some story mechanics (namely, the camera) and the plot.

5. Thirsty Suitors - 19 points

At a quick glance, Thirsty Suitors might sound shallow or a riff on Scott Pilgrim, but the game is anything but. It is a coming of age story explored through a South Asian immigrant voice, with a compelling multicultural and queer cast all with their own distinct stories and dilemmas. As game director Chandana Ekanayake said, Thirsty Suitors is 'thematically it's about repairing relationships in all forms'. When Jala returns to her hometown of Timber Hills after three years of no contact with her family, she has to face all she left behind: her parents, her aunt, multiple irate exes, an estranged older sister who is about to get married, and the looming shadow of her grandmother. Charismatic skater Jala is flawed and relatable, and the player can help to shape her character with dialogue and personality traits.

7. Chants of Senaar - 18 points

At first there is a conundrum. Then tentative experimentation. Then assigning a meaning to one word, followed by another. Finally, a eureka moment of recognition and understanding. Chants of Sennaar continues to build on this basic concept throughout with increasing complexity, as the player ascends a Tower of Babel like structure. The inhabitants of each level speak a unique language that must translated via exploration, experimentation, and observation. Interacting with the inhabitants gives clues, alongside smartly placed environmental storytelling. Each level introduces creative new approaches for the player to understand the language, keeping the game from feeling repetitive, along with each level being visually distinct with a unique cultural focus.

8. Jusant - 13 points

Intertwined with some of gaming's most engaging (if occasionally wonky) climbing mechanics is a story about climate change and how it affects people. As you climb the tower and restore life you feel the emptiness of the space. Here are homes long abandoned filled with letters that tell the story of a vibrant community, of people's fears when things started to change, and of the desperation as people realized that they would have to leave for good. Of course, there is the otherworldly sci-fi layer on top, but it hits home at something that is very real. The climb to restore this world is not without challenge. Harsh winds and heat slow you down. You will fall and have to make back that progress. But, with persistence, and help, you can heal this place.

8. The Cosmic Wheel Sisterhood - 13 points

The Cosmic Wheel Sisterhood's spell is potent enough that the aching is still grand and the feelings are still immaculate, even now that I'm able to see through a bit of the illusion. Though not to the extent it could have been, it is tragic, cathartic, eddying, empowering, relaxing, unsettling, wistful, indignant, compassionate, all at the same time.

10. Goodbye Volcano High - 12 points

A coming of age story told from the perspective of a group of teenage dinosaurs dealing with life, identity and the impending end of the world they know. Well written characters and a strong narrative highlight the struggles of coming to terms with this imminent ending at what is supposed to be a pivotal point in the characters' lives and the realisation of old and new found dreams potentially not coming to fruition. The game deftly handles main character Fang's non-binary identity carefully and tastefully, juxtaposing their new found freedom of being able to be who they truly are against their parent's unwillingness to let go of their past. It's heartbreaking at times but through catchy tunes, a couple of games of this world's version of D&D and strong connections between the cast of characters, Goodbye Volcano High beautifully shines a spotlight on those groups often ignored in games and celebrates them.

• A Highland Song
  • A Hint of Purple
  • A Space for the Unbound
  • Alan Wake 2
  • Baldur's Gate 3
  • Before the Green Moon
  • Before Your Eyes
  • Bramble: The Mountain King
  • Chants of Sennar
  • Cocoon
  • El Paso, Elsewhere
  • En Garde!
  • Enjoy the Diner
  • Final Fantasy XVI
  • Forspoken
  • Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective
  • God of War: Ragnarok Valhalla
  • Goodbye Volcano High
  • Grow Light
  • He Fucked the Girl Out of Me
  • Hello Girl
  • Horizon Burning Shores
  • In Stars and Time
  • Jusant
  • Last Chance in Xollywood
  • Life After Magic
  • Like a Dragon Gaiden: The Man Who Erased His Name
  • Long Gone Days
  • Lunacid
  • Mask of the Rose
  • Mediterranea Inferno
  • Oxenfree II: Lost Signals
  • Saltsea Chronicles
  • Season: A Letter to the Future
  • Slay the Princess
  • Spider-Man 2
  • Star Wars Jedi: Survivor
  • Starfield
  • Stop Burying Me Alive, Beautiful!
  • Stray Gods: The Roleplaying Musical
  • Street Fighter 6
  • Tchia
  • Terra Nil
  • The Cosmic Wheel Sisterhood
  • The Spiral Egg Challenge
  • The Talos Principle 2
  • Thirsty Suitors
  • Under the Waves
  • Undone
  • Venba
  • Waste Eater

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hecht

Hecht

Administrator
Oct 24, 2017

OTHER STUFF

Full Game Results - separate tabs for Genre and Platform results

Any discrepancies you may find should be minor and not have affected the final results - it's just likely some people manually input genres or platforms wrong, but it's super unlikely that would have affected the top games, as they were in the database to begin with.

Affinity Spreadsheet - select your name from the drop down in B2 and see who had lists similar to yours! NOTE: If a bunch of people are looking for their name at the same time, might be best to make a copy of the sheet if you want to spend time on your results.

FINAL NOTE: If you don't see your name in the Affinity spreadsheet, it's likely your vote was formatted incorrectly. I fixed a few that I came across. You may see some ineligible games in this list - they were not counted in the actual vote, however. Sorry guys, I love Lethal Company also, but it's Early Access.

5WkXYKz.png
Participation is up YOY! I couldn't be arsed to go count the number of votes in years prior - the Ballots tool does it for me, it wasn't around back then, and I am lazy.

Last edited:

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Genuinely shocked TOTK beat out BG3. Can't complain, I haven't played BG3 yet but TOTK made me feel like a kid again, getting lost in a game.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
congrats to zeldo, was hoping lies of P would do a bit better but eh

Super

Studied the Buster Sword
Jan 29, 2022
The same top 6 as the The Game Awards. Congrats to the winners.

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
Zelda? Wack.

Edit - Thank you to everyone who put this together. It was my first time participating and it was an easy process. I enjoyed reading other posters' lists and reviews.

Last edited:

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
ERA's tastes definitely have its unique flavors, and platform demographics also shine through in these results. Congrats to all winners! For me, I think I can only really make GOTY lists many years later, because I have turned into such a patient gamer, which means I usually play more old stuff than new releases in a year.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Tears of the Kingdom is a miracle of a game that was essentially in development for 12 years. I'm really glad Nintendo took the opportunity to make it before inevitably wiping the slate clean again.

I can't think of a game that deserved an iterative sequel more than BotW, and even then it exceeded my expectations in terms of new mechanics.

Extremely deserved win.
The same top 6 as the The Game Awards. Congrats to the winners.
Oh shit nice lol

mujun

Nov 1, 2017
Great thread! Thanks for all the hard work.

I'm so glad that Starfield made it into the top 20.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
Congrats to Tears of The Kingdom. One of the best games I've played. Awesome top 10.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
RE:4 on top 5. I will take it.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
ERA's tastes definitely have its unique flavors, and platform demographics also shine through in these results. Congrats to all winners! For me, I think I can only really make GOTY lists many years later, because I have turned into such a patient gamer, which means I usually play more old stuff than new releases in a year.
I'm the same way. I never participate in GOTY threads because I usually only play like 5-6 new games a year. My favorite 2017 game (Persona 5) I only completed in 2019.

RedShift

Oct 27, 2017
Sorta surprised TotK won, but I'm glad. BG3 is great but it's nowhere near the polish of TotK.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Although I think XVI is pretty outrageously high, the top 10 is still an awesome selection!

Matsukaze

Oct 25, 2017
A wonderful Top 10 for a wonderful year. 2023 was one of the most enjoyable years I've experienced since I first started playing video games.

tgrfawcett

Oct 25, 2017
Utah
Just wanted to drop in and say thank you to everyone who participated in the Games for Impact vote. It was a small pool, but the time and thought into each vote matters. Games are a great medium that really can make a meaningful impact on the way we think about the world around us. To see people express that is amazing. You all put together a great list of games! If you haven't taken a look at the full list, be sure to!

• A Highland Song
  • A Hint of Purple
  • A Space for the Unbound
  • Alan Wake 2
  • Baldur's Gate 3
  • Before the Green Moon
  • Before Your Eyes
  • Bramble: The Mountain King
  • Chants of Sennar
  • Cocoon
  • El Paso, Elsewhere
  • En Garde!
  • Enjoy the Diner
  • Final Fantasy XVI
  • Forspoken
  • Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective
  • God of War: Ragnarok Valhalla
  • Goodbye Volcano High
  • Grow Light
  • He Fucked the Girl Out of Me
  • Hello Girl
  • Horizon Burning Shores
  • In Stars and Time
  • Jusant
  • Last Chance in Xollywood
  • Life After Magic
  • Like a Dragon Gaiden: The Man Who Erased His Name
  • Long Gone Days
  • Lunacid
  • Mask of the Rose
  • Mediterranea Inferno
  • Oxenfree II: Lost Signals
  • Saltsea Chronicles
  • Season: A Letter to the Future
  • Slay the Princess
  • Spider-Man 2
  • Star Wars Jedi: Survivor
  • Starfield
  • Stop Burying Me Alive, Beautiful!
  • Stray Gods: The Roleplaying Musical
  • Street Fighter 6
  • Tchia
  • Terra Nil
  • The Cosmic Wheel Sisterhood
  • The Spiral Egg Challenge
  • The Talos Principle 2
  • Thirsty Suitors
  • Under the Waves
  • Undone
  • Venba
  • Waste Eater

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hey my write-up was included for Mario Wonder. Cheers!

Pretty incredible year; surprised that TOTK came away with number one given how the "vibes" have been on here for the last few months regarding GOTY talk, but it is absolutely a deserved win. Hi-Fi Rush in 8 also makes me really happy to see.

Oct 25, 2017
That top 5 is excellent, good job Era.

Even if BG3 is my GOTY, I fully understand why people love TOTK, it's literal black magic that the game works as well as it does.

amlabella

Oct 27, 2017
Sacramento, CA
That's a great top 10 - it was a really strong year for video game releases. Very happy to see Hi-Fi Rush in the top 10, wasn't sure it would end up there. And thanks for including my quote for Baldur's Gate 3!

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Can't go wrong with that top 10. Well top 20 even other than a couple games that didn't click for me.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Jedi Survivor deserved better, but I supposed given its performance issues its lower ratings is fair.

bob1001

▲ Legend ▲
May 7, 2020
I voted for BG3 as number 1 but I can't say a TOTK win is undeserved, it's an amazing game. Great list overall.

Dealer A

Jan 13, 2018
Thanks for putting this together! Fun to read!

Is there a tally of the total number of people who voted for TotK versus BG3? I'd be curious to see how many more people just played TotK versus BG3.

EDIT: Nevermind I think I found it. 551 votes for TotK versus 472 for BG3.

Super

Studied the Buster Sword
Jan 29, 2022
Oh wow, haha. I didn't notice that. Guess we can't really complain that they made the wrongs noms

Tears of the Kingdom is a miracle of a game that was essentially in development for 12 years. I'm really glad Nintendo took the opportunity to make it before inevitably wiping the slate clean again.

I can't think of a game that deserved an iterative sequel more than BotW, and even then it exceeded my expectations in terms of new mechanics.

Extremely deserved win.

Oh shit nice lol

Yeah I was expecting it to be a little different but it's the same. A phenomenal year for games.

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
Very happy to have contributed the write-up for Cocoon! Hope its placement, short length, and wide availability means more people will check it out now!

8/10 games I voted for made the list so shouting out the two that didn't—Sea of Stars and Blasphemous 2! I would call these the best indie RPG and best indie metroidvania respectively 😃

Status
Not open for further replies.