• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nope, i said in other words that players on Nintendo platforms doesn't really have much choice when voting, from the top 10 there's only BotW, Hollow Knight and late inferior ports of TW3 and Dark Souls on Switch. So BotW will obviously concentrate the votes as the flagship title of the console.
but that doesn't explain nintendo being the top publisher here as well, does it? they have more 90+ games in the decade than any other publisher
you were just wrong in your opinion that "nintendo players" picked botw cuz they had nothing else to pick.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
Nope, i said in other words that players on Nintendo platforms doesn't really have much choice when voting, from the top 10 there's only BotW, Hollow Knight and late inferior ports of TW3 and Dark Souls on Switch. So BotW will obviously concentrate the votes as the flagship title of the console.

You are aware that most people in this forum own multiple platforms?

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Well damn, guess we're rumbled, the secret cabal of Nintendo Era voters gathered prior to the vote to guarantee the top status of Zelda, across 5 platforms and 10 years there just wasn't anything else to vote for
In a vote where you could put down like 20 games all worth the same single point value no less

Fosko

Oct 27, 2017
Mario Odyssey es quite good but it doesn't have too much to talk about after beating it.

Ultimadrago

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Well damn, guess we're rumbled, the secret cabal of Nintendo Era voters gathered prior to the vote to guarantee the top status of Zelda, across 5 platforms and 10 years there just wasn't anything else to vote for
In a vote where you could put down like 20 games all worth the same single point value no less

Once I find the Discord, I'm going to troll you all so hard.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
That's a very solid list of 29 good videogames and MGSV.

LOL.

Yeah, he got us. I personally played games on 14 different systems this past decade, 5 of which were Nintendo systems, and Breath of the Wild was the best of the lot. And I've played every Zelda game, in order, since the first one in '87.

But yeah, I probably just voted for BotW because I had nothing else to pick from. And only liked it because I'd never played a Zelda game before. LOL.

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
Opinions and tastes are quite varied from one person to another. I spent 5 hours playing Hollow Knight and after enjoying the environment for the first 10 minutes it got stale in a hurry, and I couldn't force myself to finish it. But Era sees it as a top 10 game of the past decade, so obviously I was in the minority by not enjoying it.

Rest assured, you are not the only one with this opinion. I also spent a few hours with it and was bored, bored, bored. I couldn't get into Bloodborne either, though I admit I've never played Dark Souls and the lack of experience surely didn't help. But to each their own, I guess.

Meanwhile Ori didn't make the list at all. It's one of my GOTG along with Forza Horizon 4, another snub. But since I didn't vote, I suppose I can't complain too much.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia

It's not at all surprising when you include all of the 3DS' highlights, all of the Wii U's highlights, nearly all of the Switch's highlights So far, late Wii highlights and late DS highlights.

- Galaxy 2
- Skyward Sword
- Xenoblade 1
- 3D Land
- A Link Between Worlds
- Fire Emblem Awakening
- Smash for Wii U
- 3D World
- Bayonetta 2
- Breath of the Wild
- Super Mario Odyssey
- Smash Ultimate
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

.... and that's only the ones above 90 on MC. you could throw in so many more that are also revered like Mario Maker, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Tropical Freeze, Fire Emblem Three Houses, Kid Icarus Uprising, Luigi's Mansion 2 & 3, Metroid Samus Returns, Pikmin 3, Captain Toad, Hyrule Warriors, New Super Mario Bros 2, NSMBU, Splatoon, Splatoon 2, Ring Fit Adventure, Xenoblade 2, Mario Maker 2, Astral Chain. I keep thinking of too many, it's hard to keep track of how many good to amazing games Nintendo published

Last edited:

DinoBlaster

Feb 18, 2020
BOTW fully deserves #1 but I'm most stoked about Hollow Knight cracking the top 10. What a beautiful game.

DinoBlaster

Feb 18, 2020
Nintendo has released tons of quality games last decade. Plus it's not like people voting for BOTW only played Nintendo consoles. If I had to choose a game of the decade for 2000-2009 it would be a PlayStation exclusive (Shadow of the Colossus) or a multiplat (Portal, Resident Evil 4).

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
I wasn't expecting anything different from Era, but it's a very boring list dominated by platformers and third-person action games. I'm pleasantly surprised to see Life is Strange sneak its way onto the list-- it is only one of five games I voted for that made the cut out of a possible 15 (the other winners being Mass Effect 2, Portal 2, Smash Ultimate, and Persona 5).

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
This made me realize just how much has come out in the last ten years. ME2 and Portal 2 seem like forever ago, yet they were in the decade.

I didn't vote - mostly because I leave these lists to those who have more opinions than I - but this morning I was starting to get excited thinking about my annual Hitman ritual through the holidays and expected to see it crack the top list, and was sad to see it didn't.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Once I find the Discord, I'm going to troll you all so hard.
Hah, it's name is one no one would ever acknowledge and thus never find, no one would be interested in Belda
..oops
I wasn't expecting anything different from Era, but it's a very boring list dominated by platformers and third-person action games. I'm pleasantly surprised to see Life is Strange sneak its way onto the list-- it is only one of five games I voted for that made the cut out of a possible 15 (the other winners being Mass Effect 2, Portal 2, Smash Ultimate, and Persona 5).
There's 2 3D platformers from the same series, 1 2D platformer and a 2D metroidvania, hardly domination

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Man I don't get the love for botw. Game runs horribly, and at the end of the day, the actual content is pretty shallow even if that's the point for it to be an entire sandbox. I don't mind it being up there but it's definitely more a distant 10. Oh well, it's a list

lexony

Oct 25, 2017
I'm happy that Portal 2 got recognized one of the best games this decade by so many people.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Man I don't get the love for botw. Game runs horribly, and at the end of the day, the actual content is pretty shallow even if that's the point for it to be an entire sandbox. I don't mind it being up there but it's definitely more a distant 10. Oh well, it's a list

I didn't enjoy it either, but it's the most innovative game i've played in over 2 decades. It makes the physics in other AAA games seem laughable in comparison.

krossj

Dec 4, 2017
thats a good list! glad to see Dark Souls up there and BOTW is a great winner, dungeons just didn't do it for me and thats a huge part of the series. If the new one has good dungeons and the rest all the same it'll be fucking magic

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
I agree with number 1 developer, but not number 1 game. It is not even a top ten Nintendo game of the decade imo. Or a top ten Zelda game. But it probably is a top ten zelda game of the decade, so there is that!

wastingmyyouth

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 10, 2020
Having a Yakuza game in the top 15 is a dream result. I love how popular this series has become on Era.

In other news, the best video game of all-time hits that sweet number 1 ranking. Top effort all.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
THE DEEP STATE STRIKES AGAIN

harry the spy

Oct 25, 2017
Outside of undertale this is an incredibly solid list. I absolutely loved BOTW when I played it but for some reason don't have very strong memories of it . Not sure why.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
I'm so glad Portal 2 gets the recognition it deserves. It really is an amazingly put together game. I really hated how some people shit on it closer to release so the "Valve doesn't make games" thing (this was a thing back then I have no idea if that's still around now) could be preserved.

I would personally put Frostpunk on the list too. But I realize I cannot expect that type of game to resonate with others the way it did with me. It just hit all the right buttons for me personally. I love it so much.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
Well lets say all the 10 games are great game. Not at all the chart I would made, for sure not for the 3 games on the top (maybe TW3 is the only one that could stay there)

Deleted member 17388

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For the opposite reason of what you say is why Nintendo won the best publisher. People voted for a variety of Nintendo titles and they didn't concentrate on only one (Except BotW, of course, which was the standout if you own a Wii U or a Switch).

Aug 13, 2019
I've only played 3 of the top 10 and 13 of the top 30, lol. I'm kind of shocked that BOTW managed to beat both Bloodbourne and The Last of Us. Also that huge gap between the top two developers and third place. God damn.

modestb

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
I've only played 3 of the top 10 and 13 of the top 30, lol. I'm kind of shocked that BOTW managed to beat both Bloodbourne and The Last of Us. Also that huge gap between the top two developers and third place. God damn.

I think Breath of the Wild has much broader appeal + Zelda nostalgia working for it. Bloodborne is a very difficult game + scary, and Last of Us is pretty story-driven so people who don't like that are turned off. I didn't put BOTW in my top 20 and it probably wouldn't even be in my top 50 just for my preferences but I can't say it doesn't deserve to win (though a lot of games arguably do)

That's a very solid list of 29 good videogames and MGSV.

As incredibly disappointing MGS5 is in so many, many ways - the moment to moment gameplay is just fucking great. Absolutely great. I see why its on a lot of people's lists.

Fuu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Wow @ Nier making the list. Very pleasantly surprised!

BDGAME

Oct 27, 2017
Brasília
So, can we conclude that resetera don't have enough xbox fans? I mean, lots of good xbox games was release in past decade, but not a single one enter on that list.

Composer

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
So, can we conclude that resetera don't have enough xbox fans? I mean, lots of good xbox games was release in past decade, but not a single one enter on that list.

This board has always had a very, very heavy Nintendo/Sony/Japanese developer leanings. Nothing wrong with that inherently, but it does create these biased lists. I don't disagree with all of the list, but certainly #1, and Nier. Skyrim deserved to be in the top 10. No mention of Rocket League, Outer Wilds. Kind of bonkers if you think about all the fantastic games missing from the top 20. The list has an insane amount of recency bias as well.

GhaleonQ

Jan 14, 2018
I find this fascinating. I'm not engaged enough to know how mainstream this is versus how authentic, but I've played enough of these to understand that I'm glad I skipped this decade in video gaming!

That said, thanks to all who voted, especially those who made cases for their favorites. I genuinely enjoyed so many descriptions of my favorite art form's output.

Anyway, Cuphead: Don't Deal With The Devil is incredible.

BDGAME

Oct 27, 2017
Brasília
This board has always had a very, very heavy Nintendo/Sony/Japanese developer leanings. Nothing wrong with that inherently, but it does create these biased lists. I don't disagree with all of the list, but certainly #1, and Nier. Skyrim deserved to be in the top 10. No mention of Rocket League, Outer Wilds. Kind of bonkers if you think about all the fantastic games missing from the top 20. The list has an insane amount of recency bias as well.
More than agree. It's like a list made for people that don't play games for so long time. It lacking in variety, some games very relevant are left behind. Of course, many of these games deserve be on that list, but many others games that deserve be here were left out, probably due to the tendency of the players here.

Deleted member 32135

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Yeah, this looks like a Game Awards list... the lack of genre variety speaks a lot about the perception of what can be and what not a great game for the more dedicated users.

Last edited:

Bunkle

Oct 3, 2020
Pardon if I missed it, but is there a full data dump of the results? I'm curious how many people voted for a few of my low-key picks, like Gorogoa, Snake Pass, Arizona Sunshine, and Transformers: Devastation. If anyone. :-)
Also want to echo this. I would love to see the full data, if that's at all possible.

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
Not terribly inspired if those are the 30 best games of the decade. Eugh. Some of those games I think are great, but most are honestly pretty... meh. I don't know why anyone would recommend Skyrim as a game to play. It's influential, but not in a good way. And just... so many sequels.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Man I've only played 9 of the 30. I've really fallen behind the last few years.

VHStape

Sep 25, 2020
Thanks to PS plus and this thread. I guess I will be playing Hollow Knight this weekend!