• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I went to High School during the heyday of Naruto, and I remember seeing kids wear the headband to school. And I just wanted to know...why? What compels someone to social suicide?
I've been told recently that kids in USA's HS can go to school wearing their pajamas,
I don't know if wearing a headband is that much worse frankly.

Whompa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
"Hey, you like Dragonball? Me, too. Wasn't it crazy when Guko went super-saying?"

"Um, it's Goku and super-saiyan. He's like level 4 by now. If you haven't seen it this far, there's not really much to talk about. Besides, you probably only watch it dubbed. If you aren't watching subbed-only episodes, you aren't getting the real thing."

This is an exaggeration, but this is the kind of shit people who aren't hardcore passionate about anime get when talking to someone that is. Abrasive and exclusive.

YEPPPPPPP! Funny thing is, you're not even exaggerating that much. I remember having to be on point with some of the most inconsequential shit, otherwise it was some, "Pfft, no offense but, you're just not a true fan" bullshit response. Absolute shit fanbases ruin a good time.

Where do fit in here?

In HS, I talked a lot about Wrestling and Football with friends but secretly watches Anime.

Probably same place that I did. Soccer, Tennis, Art and then a sprinkle of Anime...so probably a, "Floater"

Oct 25, 2017
Man, so much unnecessary divide.

Naruto fans just went to the video game club and we all played Gekitou Ninja Taisen 4 on GameCube. It was really fun. The headbands were kind of cool.

Then I went back to Brawl and StarCraft until I got tired of that and switched to another group to hang out with.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
The thing about the anime genre is that, it's an extreme form of escapism. Or you can call it a type of fantasy literature that has lease amount of realism or connection to history. Western fantasy usually borrow heavily from the past, particularly medieval history.

My pet theory is that the Japan has shitty history and they don't like to literature genre that's too "real world."

Now I am not comparing "high school bottom class" to the Japanese, but I think they like to escape the real world for different reasons.

I'm going to put on my opaque swirly glasses dig out this post from page whatever because it's a fantastically bad take.

First off, anime isn't a genre. There's definitely wish fulfillment stuff and you probably find more of it as you aim more squarely at anime nerds. But just for example, the late '80s - early '90s wave had a bunch of dark, heady stuff which are horrible experiences for the character involved (Akira, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Serial Experiments Lain, etc.)

As for Japan's history being so shitty that they don't like "real world" stuff, samurai and ninja originally became popular in the west because of Japanese historical fiction movies. Not to mention if you're going to drop the phrase "literary genre", a lot of their classic literature is either semi-historical (Tale of the Heiki) or set in real-world settings (Tale of Genji).

EDIT:
Oh, this continues. This is also pretty bad.

Western cartoon (actually any non Japanese cartoon) primarily target children. Anime is not. In other words, adult Japanese consume more escapism content. Look at the adult oriented western cartoon like Simpsons and South Park, they are heavily based on the real world. They are not in the escapism genre.

Have you ever heard how Dragonball Z and Naruto and such were from Shonen Jump? Shonen means it's aimed at 12-18 year old boys.

Then you get into, like, Anpanman and Doraemon. Those actual kids cartoons which last forever and make more money than anything.

Last edited:

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
YEPPPPPPP! Funny thing is, you're not even exaggerating that much. I remember having to be on point with some of the most inconsequential shit, otherwise it was some, "Nothing personnel kid" or "Pfft, no offense but, you're just not a true fan" bullshit response. Absolute shit fanbases ruin a good time.

They're even exclusive between themselves! "Oh you're a Naruto/shounen/any popular anime fan? Can't talk to you!"

TheLucasLite

Aug 27, 2018
possibly, prevention of real suicide. At some point in high school for those who feel isolated and alone, you'll find a hobby where people accept you and, like prison, throw up your colors and make a statement to cement yourself in that group. Just to feel like you're a part of something.
I guess this makes sense, though it seems like a risk that could just exacerbate the issue by bringing on (more) bullying.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Im 29 in a month and I still have nightmares of having to go back to high school.

Best years of my life my ass. Maybe for the popular kids.
I mean for me it sounds like talking about taking a bar exam for all I know and I can't be further from doing that.
My HS time in France was really limited to courses, extra curricular (if you REALLY wanted to stay more time in the HS), video games/mangas and of course the good ole tradition of protest/following the news/etc.
If someone was really good at something, there may have been jealousy but it was more about trying to outdo the guy at the top more than anything.
Out of the 3 years, like I goofed off on the 1st one, the rest was closer to just studying at the expense of everything else.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
They're even exclusive between themselves! "Oh you're a Naruto/shounen/any popular anime fan? Can't talk to you!"
I don't even get this!
Sure Naruto may be fun to read/watch but you're telling me that you're going to turn you nose at a good read/watch of Fruit Basket? You're gonna skip Berserk or a good Gundam show? What kind of fan is that?

Deleted member 46493

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
My pet theory is that the Japan has shitty history and they don't like to literature genre that's too "real world."
You know anime doesn't represent the rest of Japanese arts and literature almost at all right? Especially the escapist super otaku stuff. That's a niche and almost irrelevant in the grand scale. Plenty of Japanese literature and film of all kinds that isn't just about harems of cute girls. We just had Shoplifters come out last year, to start with.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be interested to see how this applies to the UK. Back in my school days, I'd say my friends and I were near or at the top, we played for the first football and basketball teams and most of us watched the only anime out at the time, Dragonball Z when it used to air on Cartoon Network.

Maybe things have changed since then, considering anime is more mainstream now with sites like Crunchyroll and other media.

Coinspinner

Nov 6, 2017
There was no social hierarchy at my highschool. It was great!

*didn't speak to a single soul through all of highschool*

Oct 25, 2017
Don't think I ever came across any dub/sub snobbery until I came here.

The kids that watched the sub would hype you up for the cool shit that's yet to come.

Sounds like some of you got some bum deals and are carrying the hurt with you.

If I wanted condescension, I'd hang out with the top 10 kids with the highest grades.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But everyone is a anime fan. Are they talking to the people who only identification is anime fan?

Deleted member 46493

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
I'd be interested to see how this applies to the UK. Back in my school days, I'd say my friends and I were near or at the top, we played for the first football and basketball teams and most of us watched the only anime out at the time, Dragonball Z when it used to air on Cartoon Network.

Maybe things have changed since then, considering anime is more mainstream now with sites like Crunchyroll and other media.
As others have said, it's not so much people watching anime but those who are anime fans. Think "gamer" vs someone that plays an hour or two of the latest popular multiplayer a week.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017

The kids that watched the sub would hype you up for the cool shit that's yet to come.

If I wanted condescension, I'd hang out with the top 10 kids with the highest grades.

I first learned about dub/sub snubbery from the one yaoi fan I knew, who was also popular and more well-adjusted than all of the guy anime fans I met.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
They were and probably still are the biggest assholes in school. When I was in school I had a girlfriend from another school, but in my school there was a group of anime fans that I introduced her to that I was only acquaintances with, because she also didn't really have friends as she recently moved and they had common interests.They asked her so many questions about anime, but in an attitude not about her interests, but to "test" her. Anime fans always give off that condescending and elitist mentality like "gamers" do.

Nov 17, 2017
"Hey, you like Dragonball? Me, too. Wasn't it crazy when Guko went super-saying?"

"Um, it's Goku and super-saiyan. He's like level 4 by now. If you haven't seen it this far, there's not really much to talk about. Besides, you probably only watch it dubbed. If you aren't watching subbed-only episodes, you aren't getting the real thing."

This is an exaggeration, but this is the kind of shit people who aren't hardcore passionate about anime get when talking to someone that is. Abrasive and exclusive.
Considering this group of kids would be more susceptible to bullying and having their hobbies ridiculed and questioned, it would make sense that over time a number of them become less inclusive and more defensive. Though I think there are plenty who if you showed a real interest would probably try to get into stuff rather than push you out.

Yeah, I only really encountered this on the internet. If you're online with the most hard of the hardcore, snobbery is expected even with popular things like sports. It's significant that the way something is perceived takes it much father than how it actually is most times. I think that's law, especially in high school. I don't think most kids get first hand experience with different social groups to feel the way they do but rather they're taught the rules and try to live by it to survive. It's the decision of what table you need to sit at in lunch period.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
Not entirely surprising, since I was in the anime club at high school. But even though I was just a dweeb it was nice to be around people with similar interests.

A few of them I'm still friends with!

Oct 25, 2017
Considering this group of kids would be more susceptible to bullying and having their hobbies ridiculed and questioned, it would make sense that over time a number of them become less inclusive and more defensive. Though I think there are plenty who if you showed a real interest would probably try to get into stuff rather than push you out.

Yeah, I only really encountered this on the internet. If you're online with the most hard of the hardcore, snobbery is expected even with popular things like sports. It's significant that the way something is perceived takes it much father than how it actually is most times. I think that's law, especially in high school. I don't think most kids get first hand experience with different social groups to feel the way they do but rather they're taught the rules and try to live by it to survive. It's the decision of what table you need to sit at in lunch period.
As many problems as my high school had, I guess I got off pretty lucky compared to the rest of you. We had a campus lite school, so we were free to go where we wanted during lunch, guess I just had more options and it was easier for everyone to group hop and everyone had their own space.

Monday - Video game club.
Tuesday - with the stoner kids and our favorite English teacher.
Wednesday - magic the gathering in the library
Thursday - theater kids right outside the video games club
Friday - Sit in my last class and study.
And then something else entirely the next week.

Don't think I ever had lunch in the cafeteria now that I think about it.

But I guess there is a distinction between liking something and your hobby being your identity because freaking everyone played games, had a DS or 360. Many people watched Naruto. Not everyone did the Naruto run between classes or dressed up like itachi.

Nov 20, 2017
Got the top tier and bottom 2 tiers covered.

Moral of the story, nobody gives a fuck about what you're into if you're good at football.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
When I was in high school anime was still mostly an underground subculture, so there was no real social strata involved. (Although I was close to the bottom anyway, with the computer enthusiasts, but with some links to popular groups.) After high school I started going to a college anime club in the city, and yeah... one day I up and called it quits because I could not relate to 90% of the club members. At. All.

As for modern times... I went to "World Culture Day" at my daughter's high school, and the "Japan" table was occupied by awkward non-Japanese kids in Naruto cosplay. The dreaded weebs.

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was so low on the heiarchy I basically wasn't even on it. Probably no one from my high school even remembers I exist. The ultra nerdy kids in my class were higher up than me, because at least the bullies noticed they were there.

(as a result of being completely invisible I never got bullied which was cool)

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
High School was weird. I was the nerd who could fight. So I was liked and loathed by different members of various cliques.

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
High school sucked. I liked games, I liked anime, and it was the mid 90's. Bullied, scrawny, etc.

But I still have my dubbed Akira/Vampire Hunter D/Record of Lodoss War tapes, and all my games. I know I was a nerd, but it wasn't like I wore t-shirts. I still had friends, still rode around town with them on the weekends getting into all kinds of shenanigans.

Being bullied by a few losers sucked, and being a shrimp sucked. The bullies really aren't worth my time or effort, but I'm happy that I didn't change to fit in. My interests are my interests. More entertaining that football, to me.

Nov 17, 2017
As many problems as my high school had, I guess I got off pretty lucky compared to the rest of you. We had a campus lite school, so we were free to go where we wanted during lunch, guess I just had more options and it was easier for everyone to group hop and everyone had their own space.

Monday - Video game club.
Tuesday - with the stoner kids and our favorite English teacher.
Wednesday - magic the gathering in the library
Thursday - theater kids right outside the video games club
Friday - Sit in my last class and study.
And then something else entirely the next week.

Don't think I ever had lunch in the cafeteria now that I think about it.

But I guess there is a distinction between liking something and your hobby being your identity because freaking everyone played games, had a DS or 360. Many people watched Naruto. Not everyone did the Naruto run between classes or dressed up like itachi.
Yeah, cafeteria always sucked. Where you sat was a big deal. High school is very clique-based. I definitely hated the pressure to find yours and lock it in. I didn't really have a specific clique so I guess I was a floater even though I was into nerdy things. Being in art classes, marching band and also being on a sports team I didn't really fit anywhere specifically. My sport was track and field too which doesn't get the same hype as being on the football or basketball team.

UnknownLeadingBass-size_restricted.gif

Line X

Oct 26, 2017
FWIW I knew a guy in half of my classes that was a middle linebacker on the Varsity team that openly loved Sailor Moon.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
12 tiers of social hierarchy? Sheesh. My high school years was basically jocks and nerds, and even then they basically got along without much ridicule. There wasn't a lot of bullying.

School is a lot harder socially now. All of this classism is not good.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
never had any actual problems with this in high school, most of the ones in middle school who were 'bullies' to me had behavioral disorders so i mean thats just life

im lucky in that sense. i was just depressed in school because i hated having to be there and felt very alone

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
If you are good at sports you can get away with anything as a dude. Shit is nuts. High school is wild like that. Such meaningless bullshit defined stuff.

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, cafeteria always sucked. Where you sat was a big deal. High school is very clique-based. I definitely hated the pressure to find yours and lock it in. I didn't really have a specific clique so I guess I was a floater even though I was into nerdy things. Being in art classes, marching band and also being on a sports team I didn't really fit anywhere specifically. My sport was track and field too which doesn't get the same hype as being on the football or basketball team.

UnknownLeadingBass-size_restricted.gif

Ha!

MrChocolate

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I was "popular" because anime wasn't rejected back then, Dragon Ball and Sailor Moon were the most popular thing and aired over here when I was watching bootleg VHS of Dragon Ball GT and Sailor Stars. Good times.

Ho_su

Oct 28, 2017
El Salvador
Assuming this whole post isn't satire, this is one of the biggest problems with this site. People don't seem to be able to separate analysis from value judgement.

Yes, it is satire, most of it.

For starter i should had mention that i am not for USA and my experience is completely different, but you have right that this study is the perception of the students social groups, this help psychologies to prevent future social problems (even my father that now work in a USA school he is shock of what he sees and how scary school can become specially for a kid in medium School).

Still it is valid, from someone out of the context of the USA that had a Jesuit Education (a high religious/science/moral education), ask question why this groups exist. For me hearing the stories of USA schools still is big culture shock.

Last edited:

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
I was "popular" because anime wasn't rejected back then, Dragon Ball and Sailor Moon were the most popular thing and aired over here when I was watching bootleg VHS of Dragon Ball GT and Sailor Stars. Good times.

Pretty much...it's interesting talking to younger people who were in high school when anime started to become available and mainstream. The idea that so many people could be turned off of it from oversaturation was strange to me since I remembered having to sell my soul for a VHS copy of Macross Plus.

Anyways, my high school was weird I guess. I certainly wasn't popular but I wasn't bullied much either, just some guys on the bus who mellowed out over the years. For example one of them gave me shit when I printed out a bunch of jpegs of Dreamcast games before the system launched, then a while later he'd end up telling me about how he got one and how awesome the sports games were, lol.

The 'popular kids' in my actual classes were super nice. Nerds ran the pirate movie ring and we had an old server room where we hung out at lunch...I guess the teachers didn't mind us squatting in there. I don't think it even had an official use, it was just the nerd room where people played Quake. I'd imagine if I wasn't still pretty awkward or if I didn't live so far away, I could've had a really rich fulfilling high school experience with that group of people. Still, despite being a little distant I got invited to their LAN parties.

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
The Anime club kids got picked on at my high school, but it wasn't because of the anime. The one shit his pants at least 4 times in class that I know of. Another was the dude who ate his dandruff and boogers, while the founder was Alan Thick from growing pains 14 year old doppelganger. Sure I'd watch Gundam and stuff but no way was I going to go hang out with that lot.

Wolf Parade

Feb 1, 2018
I graduated high school in 2001 and loved "japanimation" and manga like Appleseed, Lupin III etc. I was a decent athlete and played on several teams, was in student politics, and was lucky to have a segment of friends who also liked nerdy stuff like comics, games, and anime. That being said, I was a super closeted nerd around most of my jock and stoner buddies at first... I remember one of my soccer buddies coming over to my place to hang-out and noticing I had a Pokemon VHS (it was the late 90's people), realizing I had no younger siblings, and giving me shit for it... But that passed and as I got older, I realized if you're a well rounded positive person who owns your shit, no one fucking cares.

I'm now 36, married, and play Pokemon on my 3DS when commuting to work. Hang in there weebs!

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
If you are good at sports you can get away with anything as a dude. Shit is nuts. High school is wild like that. Such meaningless bullshit defined stuff.
In my time anybody who was good at something, be it sports or academics, was respected. They might not be the most popular student in school but they were respected for doing something really well.

At some point in history, probably in the 90s, it started being cool to be stupid. That "don't try" attitude spread like wildfire. For my generation they were never cool, they were just stupid.

Feb 13, 2018
Japan
The Anime club kids got picked on at my high school, but it wasn't because of the anime. The one shit his pants at least 4 times in class that I know of. Another was the dude who ate his dandruff and boogers, while the founder was Alan Thick from growing pains 14 year old doppelganger. Sure I'd watch Gundam and stuff but no way was I going to go hang out with that lot.
Those things go hand in hand with being anime fans/gamers though. It's the natural order of things. That kid who got caught masturbating in the back of class? You bet your ass he watches Inuyasha. The guy with the long unwashed hair that got suspended for bringing a knife to school? No doubt he plays in Melee tournaments.

But do people become creeps because of nerdy hobbies or do they turn to nerdy hobbies because they're creeps?

there was a dude who shit himself in my class too but he didn't watch anime

SaveWeyard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, sports are not meaningless to the people that find value in them, obviously. Which isn't to say everyone should conform to some accepted measure of meaning, but your statement on it's own is just a declaration of your own values.