• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
According to The Times and The Washington Post, several aides and members of Trump's inner circle — including Mark Meadows, the White House chief of staff; Pat Cipollone, the White House counsel; and members of Trump's family — had warned him of the legal repercussions he could face for encouraging the mob.

Then on Thursday, Michael Sherwin, the acting US attorney in Washington, DC, said federal prosecutors were investigating anyone who may have played a role in the Capitol riot.

When asked by journalists whether that included Trump, Sherwin said: "We are looking at all actors here, and anyone that had a role. If the evidence fits the element of a crime, they're going to be charged."

New York magazine's Olivia Nuzzi tweeted on Thursday that Trump was now fully aware of the legal trouble that could await him.

"A person who currently advises Donald Trump tells me: 'It's all hit him since yesterday: 'You may have legal exposure from yesterday. You definitely have legal exposure from other things. You have less than two weeks to remain ensconced in here with executive privilege,'" she said.

The Post reported that it took Trump a long time to say anything about the Capitol insurrection at all and that he refused aides' pleas to call into Fox News to urge the rioters to stop.

The aides were eventually able to persuade the president to tweet, The Post said. "Stay peaceful!" Trump said in one post. Shortly after, he tweeted, "No violence!"

"He didn't want to say anything or do anything to rise to the moment," a US official told The Post.

The president also recorded a video on Wednesday calling on his supporters to stop the violence. But in it, he continued to peddle false claims about the 2020 election and said, "We love you; you're very special."

On Wednesday afternoon, the Times reporter Maggie Haberman said a Trump advisor had told her that people close to Trump were "certain the president wanted this and is enjoying it." Nuzzi also described an advisor as saying that Trump was enthusiastically watching TV coverage of the riot but was later upset by the mess the mob created.

"Donald Trump was annoyed by the violent siege on the Capitol Wednesday — which left several dead — because it looked 'low class,' according to his adviser. 'He doesn't like low class things,'"
Nuzzi tweeted.

She added: "The adviser confirmed that he was watching television coverage of the siege enthusiastically, but noted that the sight of his own supporters forming a violent mob and destroying property and lives offended him on aesthetic grounds."

www.businessinsider.com

Trump agreed to condemn the Capitol rioters only after realizing he could face legal trouble for inciting them, report says

The president spent Wednesday refusing to denounce his supporters who ransacked the Capitol, agreeing to do so only the next day.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
Man, I cannot wait for all of the lawsuits that await him after January 20th. I hope his entire life is ruined.

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
"Why aren't they taking over the capitol like James Bond villains instead of the shittiest zombie terrorist horde"

This dude is a fucking sociopath for the umpteenth time

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
Oh, I'm absolutely sure his asking for the insurrectionists to stand down, and especially the later final concession that a peaceful transition will occur only happened when someone finally convinced him and it sunk in that playing nice could be the only way he doesn't face the embarrassment of being dumped prior to the end of the term and blocked from future office (and that very well might not work for him anyway)

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
Can a president preemptively pardon themself for the crime of sedition?

The trump presidency has been four years of constitutional crisis.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Gold-covered rioters would have done the trick for Donny.
For a few seconds I thought your avatar was this dude:

zVNNwTy.png

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
Seriously, I don't expect it but there needs to be something they can do to get this guy behind bars.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Wow that's exactly equivalent to having real principles and a conscience! So proud of My President.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Coming out and denouncing your bank robbing friends the day after they robbed a bank, when you had spent over an hour hyping them up to rob the bank right before they robbed the bank, doesn't make what you did less illegal you fucking idiot.

Deleted member 64666

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 20, 2020
So his aides have more decency than he does. I mean, by himself he would not have conceded. Isn't that enough for them to understand what kind of monster they are working with? This is not something a President should have to be informed about. Like dude, this is so frustrating.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
Good thing we have official timeline that he did shit to stop it for how long.

People can use him not deplying the national guard as another form of him not doing his duties to stop it. Most of us know he will double speak and lie in court about this but owell a good lawyer has at least 5 vectors to show intentions before and during the events.

Magilla

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Setting a fire and then later pissing on the ashes to cool them down doesn't absolve you of arson.

J2C

Oct 26, 2017
In always reminded how his supporters are not his "type" of people. Certainly not people he would ever invite into his hotels or Mar a lago. Yet there they are, in some bizarro relationship thinking they love ea other. Gross

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
You see, Charles Manson should have just told his followers "no violence!" after they murdered people. That would have cleared it all up.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how well the argument would be that it was pre-planned so clearly he didn't incite it.