• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
We are using the wrong metric to measure success. It's not new cases and it never has been. It's if places are equipped to deal with new cases. I keep reading articles like this which seek to alarm. SK is handling it well, and continue to do so. This doesn't mean they are failing, it means they are vigilant and testing.

Staying on lockdown indefinitely is infeasible and everyone knows that. There will always be new cases, and we can't keep locking down everything every time there's a cluster, because that is just going to go on until we get a vaccine, and even after. It's about management and it always has been. Can we reopen and continue to provide for people who get coronavirus without overwhelming the medical system? is and always should be the question to answer. But all I ever read it "10 NEW COVID CASES IN BLAH BLAH!". Yeah, no shit.

I'm tired of these moving goalposts, it's only promoting the narrative that if only we all remain in lockdown, it will all go away. It won't. That's dangerous thinking. It will never really go away, we need to find a way to live with it, and the only way to do that is testing and treatment.

Just want to say that everyone doesn't know that. Read this forum. A decent chunk of people here think we can remain on lock down for several months to over a year.

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
I'm not interested in your essays or justification of what you said. You said it. I called it out as incorrect. Move on.

And I am trying to say that, as much as we want a correct course of action, it simply does not exist in the infinitely complex world we live in. Humans can only do the best that they can do. Beyond that they can go a step further & try to change when they see they've made a mistake.

Human nature is always going to breed illogical responses & actions. I logically know what I need to do to protect myself & my family.
And yet I am human enough to admit that my logic can be swayed by uncertainty & emotion. I'm not a computer.

So no, I don't believe I said something that is incorrect though I do admit mine was a reductive statement meant to drive home a point about how humans operate.

I want to commend you on your personal resolve to do the right thing.
My intent was to admit my own human uncertainties so that more dialogue might be built up by the recognition.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
Just want to say that everyone doesn't know that. Read this forum. A decent chunk of people here think we can remain on lock down for several months to over a year.

I've just seen that.

A long term lockdown over the course of years would have a severe impact on many many people.

Which is why I'm so eager for countries to get it right, and hopefully learn from each other whilst different attempts at easing lockdowns are trialled.

Minamu

Nov 18, 2017
Sweden
Unless you're Korean, you'll inevitably be called a "Waygookin" or "Waygook" in Korea, which is Korean for foreigner/out-of country.

It's essentially the equivalent of the "China-towns" that we have in the west, but with a more diverse population.

It's home to a large amount of Soul's expat/immigrant community and is located directly next to one of the US army bases (which is supposedly moving out of Seoul, but they've been saying that for years). It's also home to the only mosque in Seoul. It's also one of the two bigger party neighborhoods (the other being Hongdae), so it was inevitable that as soon as bars/clubs reopened people would flock to them.

For a large part of it's recent history, it's had a bit of a seedy reputation ("Hooker Hill" is a very well know landmark) that it just seemed to be getting over the past couple years. When I first moved to Korea in 2014, I was told by multiple Koreans to "not go to Itaewon" and that "it's dangerous". Judging by the reaction's my friends who are still living over there are reporting their schools are having with this news, it may be back to square one. Two have schools that are telling everyone if they find out you're anywhere near Itaewon, you're gone.

web.archive.org

Itaewon Freedom - Groove Magazine

How Korea’s expat hub rose from seedy slum to elite escape
What? This is all news to me. I didn't live in Itaewon but when I visited Seoul as a tourist last year for 3 weeks, I went to both Itaewon and Hongdae for parties. No one told me to stay away, seemed totally fine. REALLY weird feeling being one of literally two white guys in certain clubs though, crazy. Wish someone had mentioned hooker hill though lol, first time I've heard of this O_o

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
Unless you're Korean, you'll inevitably be called a "Waygookin" or "Waygook" in Korea, which is Korean for foreigner/out-of country.

It's essentially the equivalent of the "China-towns" that we have in the west, but with a more diverse population.

It's home to a large amount of Soul's expat/immigrant community and is located directly next to one of the US army bases (which is supposedly moving out of Seoul, but they've been saying that for years). It's also home to the only mosque in Seoul. It's also one of the two bigger party neighborhoods (the other being Hongdae), so it was inevitable that as soon as bars/clubs reopened people would flock to them.

For a large part of it's recent history, it's had a bit of a seedy reputation ("Hooker Hill" is a very well know landmark) that it just seemed to be getting over the past couple years. When I first moved to Korea in 2014, I was told by multiple Koreans to "not go to Itaewon" and that "it's dangerous". Judging by the reaction's my friends who are still living over there are reporting their schools are having with this news, it may be back to square one. Two have schools that are telling everyone if they find out you're anywhere near Itaewon, you're gone.

web.archive.org

Itaewon Freedom - Groove Magazine

How Korea’s expat hub rose from seedy slum to elite escape

Was in Itaewon for 10 days in April 2019 and walked outside at night with my fiance to 1-2am on some nights and never once felt in danger. There are hundreds of people out at all times.

I'm not saying crime doesn't exist there but we loved our time there.

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused.... the outbreaks are entirely manageable. Nobody expected the virus to disappear. The goal is to manage the outbreaks.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
What? This is all news to me. I didn't live in Itaewon but when I visited Seoul as a tourist last year for 3 weeks, I went to both Itaewon and Hongdae for parties. No one told me to stay away, seemed totally fine. REALLY weird feeling being one of literally two white guys in certain clubs though, crazy. Wish someone had mentioned hooker hill though lol, first time I've heard of this O_o

Was in Itaewon for 10 days in April 2019 and walked outside at night with my fiance to 1-2am on some nights and never once felt in danger. There are hundreds of people out at all times.

I'm not saying crime doesn't exist there but we loved our time there.

Like I said in my post, it's definitely changed the past couple years. When I left in 2018 it still had a bit of a reputation, especially at night, but it (and HBC right up the street) were gentrifying extremely quickly. I never felt in danger in Itaewon, but when I arrived in 2014 certain parts of it absolutely felt seedy. It never felt like the place where trouble would find you, but you could absolutely find it. I don't know if I'd say the same anymore though, it changed quite a bit even in the short timeframe I was there.

Hooker Hill is the one that leads up to Itaewon-land (the jimjilbang that's at the top of that huge staircase).

www.koreatimes.co.kr

Itaewon's Hooker Hill blues

That secret is Hooker Hill, where the world’s oldest profession still thrives more or less out in the open.

Last edited:

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
There are a lot of People concerned on certain states/countries that are lifting restrictions when people don't think they are prepared for it. So while that is up for debate I fee that almost everybody understands that indefinitely lockdowns are sustainable

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
I'm really surprised at SK. It really sounded like they had it under control.

God save us.

Even with the shining example SK was for that time being i'm terrified whats going to happen here in the US.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
It'll be interesting to see how well contact tracing will work in South Korea. For countries that didn't do such a good job of containing it since the very start, I think the voluntary approach of Sweden may well prove better in the long run. Stockholm will likely reach herd immunity by early summer without overloading the healthcare system. We'll likely be at a much lower risk for a second wave than many other places, the lockdown being voluntary means we don't get dumb quarantine protesters and our economy and job market will be less affected than that of other countries

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
My intent wasn't to talk about bars & clothes stores reopening. I was thinking more about all the parts of the economy that keep our society churning. There is no doubt that people are suffering due to the lockdown. We wouldn't see the unrest we do if people weren't suffering.
Sure I think there's some legit suffering... and I think there's also a lot of people who are "suffering". People who don't care about the well being of other people and just want to be able to do whatever they want like there isn't a worldwide pandemic happening, people who don't want to wear a mask because it's uncomfortable, people who wouldn't sacrifice water for someone dying of thirst if they had the chance.

It sucks. This whole thing sucks. None of us want there to be a pandemic, but it's happening, and we all need to put the work in to make sure we aren't spreading it and getting people sick or killed. It's hard, I know it is.

But hell yeah, I agree with you, if Trump were not at the helm we would be doing way better.

Oct 27, 2017
France here, with school reopenning soon too. I'd say the reason is pretty transparent, governments want to stop the confinment for economics reason, and people won't go to work if their children are left alone at home.
For all matter and purpose, they want schools to be open because they act as day care center. :/
That does make sense.
schools don't really seem like an important vector for spread of covid-19. it's different from normal flus in that regard
While that may be true, having kids go to school when there is nothing to do is just creating risk for no reason.

My brother was telling me how they are going there to celebrate the end of the year and go to various activities for fun. That's it.

I don't know about others, but I would rather they don't open schools (or atleast allow kids to stay at home). There is no point in reopening schools when there is too little of that left.

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
Its a multi-billion dollar business. Every single player will be tested constantly, practice, games, before, after, etc. Maybe they stay in rented out hotels during the season instead of going back home and only go home during the bye week, and upon return are tested daily.

Remember, this is the US. Money buys everything. There will be more testing done on players in week 1 of the NFL season than most states will have probably done on its citizens

private island now

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
having the government track people like that sounds downright dystopian
You know what the alternative is in situations like this? Calling the people, expecting them to know every single person they came into contact with, and them volunteering that information. You'd want this system to run as black box as possible so the government doesn't know who is who, but it is a system you need if you want to stop a pandemy.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah sorry my language was flimsy there. They clearly have had it under control, but just the idea of a renewed outbreak even slipping through their top tier handling is still worrying for other countries who's response doesn't even hold a candle to it.

Until a vaccine is made widespread we will not eliminate COVID. Communities, cities, countries will have flare ups. This is the world we live in now.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
How does south Korea's highest number in a while being 34 cases in a day count as a renewed outbreak
Because it's the most they've had in over a month.

Given that positive cases are people who were infected days ago, and who may have been spreading for a few days before testing positive, you've got to react swiftly at any sign of an uptick.

Every day you wait, makes things significantly worse. We understand this virus well enough by now that this should be apparent. An area that hasn't had new cases for a week or more gets a handful of new cases... why the heck wouldn't you increase what you're doing in reaction to that if you can? What good does waiting do? If you look at an outbreak as a separate fire starting in a new area, it should be readily apparent that you want to put it out, rather than waiting to see if it burns itself out. We know it won't.

Minamu

Nov 18, 2017
Sweden
Like I said in my post, it's definitely changed the past couple years. When I left in 2018 it still had a bit of a reputation, especially at night, but it (and HBC right up the street) were gentrifying extremely quickly. I never felt in danger in Itaewon, but when I arrived in 2014 certain parts of it absolutely felt seedy. It never felt like the place where trouble would find you, but you could absolutely find it. I don't know if I'd say the same anymore though, it changed quite a bit even in the short timeframe I was there.

Hooker Hill is the one that leads up to Itaewon-land (the jimjilbang that's at the top of that huge staircase).

www.koreatimes.co.kr

Itaewon's Hooker Hill blues

That secret is Hooker Hill, where the world’s oldest profession still thrives more or less out in the open.
I think I recognize that street in the picture, is that like part of the main back alley party street going between all the bars and nightclubs? Looks similar anyway. Man I wanna go back so freaking bad. I had some bad experiences overall, mainly due to the language barrier and being mostly alone, but I'll be damned if I'm not super nostalgic about the city now almost a year later.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I think I recognize that street in the picture, is that like part of the main back alley party street going between all the bars and nightclubs? Looks similar anyway. Man I wanna go back so freaking bad. I had some bad experiences overall, mainly due to the language barrier and being mostly alone, but I'll be damned if I'm not super nostalgic about the city now almost a year later.

It's the other side of Itaewon - more restaurants and small marts that sell foreign goods (great spot to get hot cheetos!), less nightclubs. Hooker hill itself is/was pretty much directly opposite Hamilton Hotel. A Taco Bell used to at the bottom of it, but literally two weeks before I left it was changed to (iirc), a Dairy Queen. If you know where the Wolfhound is (a pretty popular Irish pub in the area), it's the street directly across from that.

I'm extremely nostalgic for Korea, it's been almost 2 years since I've come home and I miss it every single day.

Last edited:

Minamu

Nov 18, 2017
Sweden
It's the other side of Itaewon - more restaurants and small marts that sell foreign goods (great spot to get hot cheetos!), less nightclubs. Hooker hill itself is/was pretty much directly opposite Hamilton Hotel. A Taco Bell used to at the bottom of it, but literally two weeks before I left it was changed to (iirc), a Dairy Queen. If you know where the Wolfhound is (a pretty popular Irish pub in the area), it's the street directly across from that.
I must have missed that area I think, the city is huge and 3 weeks wasn't even close to enough to see everything I wanted. I think I was only in Itaewon at night 2-3 times so not much during the day iirc.

THE210

Nov 30, 2017

Big leap from the short amount of time most of America has been on lock down to several months /forever. How about not allowing non essential things like dine in and concerts for a bit more time.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
The problem is that a lot of the public seems to have the mentality that no lockdown = it's over and everything is good. Even when the lockdowns ease we need to distance and be mindful and establish new rules. Many people aren't following that.

Posters like you are so transparent in not knowing what they are talking about, yes lockdown can't happen for the longterm but restrictions can and need to happen and there need to be real consequences for people not following them because this isn't going to get better when people don't follow it and more people are going to get sick and die. There's alot that needs to happen and when places all over are not testing and not preparing the way to go it means there is way more that needs to go into this before lockdown's should be lifted.

I couldn't agree more, particularly with the bolded part. People aren't going to follow mere recommendations without any enforcing. It was proven here, when the blockade around the Helsinki area was removed, and people immediately started going to their cabins and doing other unnecessary trips, despite of the prime minister recommending not to do so. Hell, many of them tried to leave the area during easter, when the blockade was still in effect. Some people just don't care, when it comes in the way of their personal wants.

France here, with school reopenning soon too. I'd say the reason is pretty transparent, governments want to stop the confinment for economics reason, and people won't go to work if their children are left alone at home.
For all matter and purpose, they want schools to be open because they act as day care center. :/

That's actually a pretty good explanation for the absurd decision to open schools just for few weeks. It's happening on friday thursday here in Finland.

Last edited:

Shantae

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Feb 15, 2019
It'll probably be worse in America because most people act like wearing a mask is the equivalent of giving a kidney.
Oh god, this. It's so fucking annoying. I can't avoid going to grocery stores, but it pisses me off every fucking time I go to one, I can literally count on 1 hand how many people are wearing mask, and everyone else in the damn store is just acting like business as usual. Mothers bringing their 3 kids to the store, with no restrictions, letting them touch shit from the store anywhere. Americans are the most selfish and stupid people in the world, I'm sorry if that offends anyone, but it's true. I work in a hospital, so I see the cases. I see that this isn't some imaginary thing. People have died where I work from fucking covid.

It has not been even close to long enough to reopen anything, and as it is, stores that have been open need more fucking restrictions.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Look, maybe a year is a stretch, I dunno- but it's been a couple months so far and people are freaking out. A couple months for most people of just being asked to watch netflix and play video games or whatever, read, whatever people do at home. I absolutely believe we can and should be able to do more than that. Stay at home and save lives.People in places that aren't the US have been through horrible wars on their soil, famine, genocides, outbreaks of worse viruses, I can't believe most of us can't just sit on couches for a while.

Oct 27, 2017
Arizona
Oh god, this. It's so fucking annoying. I can't avoid going to grocery stores, but it pisses me off every fucking time I go to one, I can literally count on 1 hand how many people are wearing mask, and everyone else in the damn store is just acting like business as usual. Mothers bringing their 3 kids to the store, with no restrictions, letting them touch shit from the store anywhere. Americans are the most selfish and stupid people in the world, I'm sorry if that offends anyone, but it's true. I work in a hospital, so I see the cases. I see that this isn't some imaginary thing. People have died where I work from fucking covid.

It has not been even close to long enough to reopen anything, and as it is, stores that have been open need more fucking restrictions.
What annoys me more are the people that don't wear their masks properly. They either don't cover their noses, don't use all the straps, employees having it pulled all the way down so they can talk without interference, etc.

I saw a lady with a n95 mask that was just flopping around on her face when she walked.