• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

UnNamed

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I always thought, and still think, is a side story from Quantum Brake universe, and it only has a different name cause IP copyrights.

Creepy Woody

Nov 11, 2017
Australia
Who cares, it's QB is this own game, they can get ideas from it. Maybe they liked the idea of QB a lot but not a lot of people got to play it being X1 exclusive and went under the radar with a later PC port, so they are making something similar.

Deleted member 9486

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I loved Quantum Break and pretty much only play "one and done" games these days so I don't share the OP's concerns at all.

Ausroachman

Oct 27, 2017
I really hope they go crazy with stuff like this

uN21Slh6o4A7fIvs7ePtizWdIwJuHrqujgWllhEEcArNnbzlkZysUve0PEMApXs6Xwjlg4iLtw=w514-h286-nc

It's one of my fav games this gen and I love how creative they got with the time powers , this looks even more crazy with the force unleashed like powers

OP
OP
Fiery Phoenix

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
I loved Quantum Break and pretty much only play "one and done" games these days so I don't share the OP's concerns at all.
I don't have anything against one-n-done games, but as a AAA team with such a big budget I originally expected more from QB.

I still liked what I played. A solid 8/10. Just not quite what I was hoping for.

leburn98

Nov 1, 2017
Not surprising that a game from the same developer looks similar to a previous work. Bungie's Destiny looks similar in style to Halo. Naughty Dog's The Last of Us looks similar to Uncharted (tone aside). The look of Gears looks very similar to Epic's other titles like Unreal Tournament. It shouldn't be alarming to anyone.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
Remedy making a Remedy-style game isn't exactly shocking, especially given that they probably had lots of leftover bits of a QB2 that they aren't getting to make. Plus, their last few games were all done with massive first-party Microsoft budgets, whereas this is coming from 505, so yeah, I imagine they're cutting corners and reusing some tech and animations from QB.

Rimon-Hanit

Oct 27, 2017
I really enjoyed QB but I feel kind of conditioned to wait for a significant price drop since I got QB in the 12$ HB.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

uN21Slh6o4A7fIvs7ePtizWdIwJuHrqujgWllhEEcArNnbzlkZysUve0PEMApXs6Xwjlg4iLtw=w514-h286-nc

It's one of my fav games this gen and I love how creative they got with the time powers , this looks even more crazy with the force unleashed like powers

It is a great game. I think many of the reviewers didn't know how to properly play it.

Is not their fault, it was probably Remedy. This game would have worked better if Jack didnt really use guns because he didn't want to kill people. Therefore, you will have to rely on super powers the whole time changing the scope of the gameplay.

That alone would have made the game way better critically. I saw tons of critics make fun of the game and all they did was cover and shoot like if it was Gears or Uncharted while barely even using the powers.

(Take out the TV episodes too)

Lol

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Dark souls looks alarmingly like demons souls.

But in seriousness I thought it was a QB sequel when the trailer started

gfxtwin

Use of alt account
Oct 28, 2017
Quantum Break's graphics looked phenomenal so not sure what the problem is here. This is common; a lot of game studios keep a similar visual style over several IPs (Team Silent, Gen Design, Epic Games in the GOW and Unreal Tournament days, SquareEnix - look at FFX, FFXII, Kingdom Hearts 1 & 2, etc).

Last edited:

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Metro Exodus looks alarmingly similar to Metro Last Light and 2033.

EDIT: It's fucking awesome how many games we're getting with female protagonists as the lead.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
I don't mind. I actually liked Quantum Break and I'm sure Remedy will be creative enough to make Control a complete different game, despite the similarities.

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't play Quantum Break because it looked like a huge bummer to me, a Remedy fan. I'm completely fine with them taking that tech and making something more compelling in both gameplay and narrative with it. From everything I've heard, that seems to be the case.

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
I've loved every Remedy game so far (my fave being Alan Wake as a huge Twin Peaks fan) and I'm super glad Control seems to be a spiritual successor to Quantum Break. Loved the gameplay, it just needed more opportunities to shine. The Metroidvania approach might just work out really well in providing lots and lots of interesting combat scenarios. I'll be there day one.

Catdaddy

Oct 27, 2017
TN
I really liked QB and thought the same when I saw the trailer – it's a QB holdover and with Remedy at the helm. QB is actually high on my list of games to replay this summer.

Superman2x7

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
The art style looks exactly the same. As soon as I saw it I knew it was Remedy.

This. I liked Quantum Break as well but this looks almost too similar. QB had its flaws but it played and controlled well which I'm hoping this does as well. But I have to say, not liking the look of the game. It worked fine for QB even though it looked a bit washed out, didnt need another game using the exact same color Platte. Why couldn't they go with something brighter like Alan Wake.

I wished this was something completely new, regardless I'll give it a shot cause they're an excellent developer.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
QB had a lot of cool tech and combat mechanics so I wouldn't be surprised if they reused them here. Hell, I would like more people to have played QB so I guess this is a good alternative.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
I don't mind. Quantum Break was awesome. Could have been way worse. Could have been a spiritual successor to Alan Wake :)

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It is very, very similar yeah.

I actually think it was probably supposed to be a canned sequel for Quantum Break.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
When I first saw it I thought it was a game running in "Dreams" I was so confused

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
You can definitely tell it's their engine and there are some similarities. However all Remedy games seem to have certain similarities. I just know I'm pumped as hell for it since I've loved all their games.

It is a great game. I think many of the reviewers didn't know how to properly play it.

Is not their fault, it was probably Remedy. This game would have worked better if Jack didnt really use guns because he didn't want to kill people. Therefore, you will have to rely on super powers the whole time changing the scope of the gameplay.

That alone would have made the game way better critically. I saw tons of critics make fun of the game and all they did was cover and shoot like if it was Gears or Uncharted while barely even using the powers.

(Take out the TV episodes too)

Lol

Yup, it was crazy how some reviewers saw it as a cover based shooter when it was never designed to be one. Sure you would hide to regain health, but other than that, the game was designed to keep you moving and switching between your powers.

Heid

Jan 7, 2018
Yup, it was crazy how some reviewers saw it as a cover based shooter when it was never designed to be one. Sure you would hide to regain health, but other than that, the game was designed to keep you moving and switching between your powers.

If its not designed to be a cover shooter but you put a cover system in your game and let you regen health whilst hiding... you made a mistake. Not the players fault the devs didn't have the balls to discourage taking cover or only letting you get health by sucking it out of enemies timelines or whatever.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
That weird person thing that attacked her at the end...Getting the feeling that if this is Remedy's application of QB sequel ideas, then we would've had Beth fighting
Shifter Jack
at some point in the story, because the lack of an actual fight like that was a bit jarring in the first game, like they were either saving it for a sequel, or it was written out and there was a narrative-sized hole where it once was.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
You need to watch an interview or two on this game. This isn't multimedia hybrid.

Aside from the same engine, the devs have done a wonderful job to set this game completely apart from Quantum Break.
Yeah, the info they've given sounds pretty great.

is it an issue?

Its like bloodborne looking similar to dark souls, which looks identical to demons souls
This.

Yup would love to see some of that in this, that was cool as hell.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
The whole time the trailer played during the reveal I kept thinking it was a Quantum Break sequel. At the very least, it was super obvious that it was a Remedy game. Looks great.

Deleted member 42686

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2018
Quantum Break was a linear story driven action game. Control is being classified as a Metroidvania style game. I'd say that's quite a bit of difference. Re-using QB's gameplay isn't a bad thing. Control just needs better level design and more enthralling subject matter.

Yup. It was said in a thread that it will be pretty much like a Metroidvania.

Being a Quantum Break only kills my interest on this game.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
Regardless of gameplay/looks, I do hope the game at least has more content and replayability. As much as I liked QB, it was a one-and-done deal for me. Even the choices you could make in-game didn't really have any meaningful consequences in the game itself. They mostly altered the accompanying TV series.

I just want to address this, because it's not true. Some of the choices you'd make in Quantum Break changed the course of playable parts, introducing different secondary characters, and even optional mini-boss battles. But the game did lack content, the gameplay was so good it needed more scenarios in which it could shine.

Control has some obvious similarities - the similar look, the same actress, special powers - but from what I've heard about it, it sounds like it's going to be a very different experience. A reworked sequel to QB this is not.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
If its not designed to be a cover shooter but you put a cover system in your game and let you regen health whilst hiding... you made a mistake. Not the players fault the devs didn't have the balls to discourage taking cover or only letting you get health by sucking it out of enemies timelines or whatever.

Between the destructible environments, aggressive and mobile enemies, and powers you developed, it was clear that it wasn't a cover based shooter. Just because a game changes the characters stance based on what they are next to, that doesn't necessarily make it strictly a cover based shooter.

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
I need this game in my life so badly. Gave me serious 'Max Payne with batshit powers' vibes.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I dig it, and even if there are similarities, I think I'll prefer it if it ditches so much of the heavy cinematic/TV baggage that bogged down QB in favor of gameplay with that Remedy feel.