• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Sure but honestly thats a low bar to pass for calling it a subversion. I can't see jay or rich praising it just for not being a copy of empire. In fact they even talk about that in their rogue one review with regards to trying something different but it not working anyway. I guess we'll see (hopefully soon, those fucking hack frauds)

Wait please explain how
Snoke being killed as opposed to being the big bad at the end, and Rey's parents being nobody important weren't major subversions of everyone's expectations

Shoe

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
the moment star trek comes up and the camera cuts to jay is always the best moment of any HitB review

3ljv6p.gif
The best one is in the Get Out review, where it's literally the first thing he says.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wait please explain how
Snoke being killed as opposed to being the big bad at the end, and Rey's parents being nobody important weren't major subversions of everyone's expectations
Because snoke was never set up at all and we know nothing about him. So if you want to make su care or feel anything surprising about him dying then you need to set it up. Just killing off a character that the movie treats as important but hasn't done anything to show you why results in no real impact on why we should care. Plus its pretty similiar to Vader killing the emperor in ROTJ when luke we getting killed. Rey's parents was such a minuscule thing that I cant believe it was ever a big deal. That was fan speculation gone rampant. [/spoiler[

Honestly neither of those things subverted anything about star wars.

Sblargh

Oct 25, 2017
I don't want to just read spoilers, but I really don't want to watch this movie (movies so expensive these days). I kind of wanted a ten minute version with nothing, but spoilers. For free.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
I want the full movie to be uploaded for to YouTube with a tiny box in the corner of a reactor reacting to the film in extremely subtle ways

that's the only way I can get off these days

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I'm more excited for the eventual Han Solo a Star Wars story review.

Just to see how many of Mike and Riches stupid ideas made it in

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I want the full movie to be uploaded for to YouTube with a tiny box in the corner of a reactor reacting to the film in extremely subtle ways

that's the only way I can get off these days
What is there to react too? Nothing happened in the movie and everything that did happen was exactly what everyone expected.

Sblargh

Oct 25, 2017
What is there to react too? Nothing happened in the movie and everything that did happen was exactly what everyone expected.
You say that, but having not watched the movie, I am under the impression that things happened that caught the fans off guard and now they are in open revolt.

And I am almost at the point that, yeah, money is short, but I really want to see why everyone is so pissed off.

ColonialHawk

Oct 27, 2017
South Carolina
You say that, but having not watched the movie, I am under the impression that things happened that caught the fans off guard and now they are in open revolt.

And I am almost at the point that, yeah, money is short, but I really want to see why everyone is so pissed off.

Its because nerds speculated (endlessly) on the questions that were set up in The Force Awakens, and were given either no answer or the answer that they didn't want. And they are upset.

gagewood

Oct 25, 2017
That feeling when a certain couple of lazy VCR repairmen and their mysterious friend/employer haven't yet released a certain video of themselves talking about a certain movie that came out this weekend.

zB56gG5.gif

Hail Satan

Oct 27, 2017
Given their Force Awakens review, that they seemed to enjoy it for what it was, and had some complaints about it I think their feelings on this will be pretty consistent.

It's not bad, but a lot of fans brought some expectations to this movie and were disappointed by the choices, and honestly, rightfully so. But the Red crew tends to curb their expectations pretty well. There's dumb fun to be had but it is kinda dumb. Given that they were a little disappointed by the safe choices in FA, they'll probably give this movie a little nod for stepping outside the Star Wars comfort zone.

Star Wars is a fantastic series but only Empire is considered an amazing movie in terms of comparing with the best of cinema. The Last Jedi is a beautiful, dumb fun trophy, but that trophy is made of ice and the oscars are hosted on the beach. Its nice to look at but it really isn't gonna hold up here to too much scrutiny.

Sorry for the long post, I've been refreshing my red letter media feed constantly hoping the review pops and now I'm so bored I'm starting to imagine my own...

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That feeling when a certain couple of lazy VCR repairmen and their mysterious friend/employer haven't yet released a certain video of themselves talking about a certain movie that came out this weekend.

zB56gG5.gif
Maybe they couldn't find a good Ferdinand showing?

Edit: They just posted on Patreon that they're editing now

that's the only one I remember and it isn't really that important.
It's only something literally everyone who knows what Star Wars is has been wondering for the past three years.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Remember when the TFA review started with Mike saying "I loved it. It was everything I wanted from a new Star Wars"

Who would have thought he was just a sad nostalgia fuck boy pissed off his pathetic fan theories didn't come true this entire time

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Remember when the TFA review started with Mike saying "I loved it. It was everything I wanted from a new Star Wars"

Who would have thought he was just a sad nostalgia fuck boy pissed off his pathetic fan theories didn't come true this entire time
It's possible, they said this new one is "a lot to process"

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
So

I was just watching a few backlog HitB episodes when the Jurassic World episode came up. It was fun and all, then a minor rant about Joss Whedon came up, about him doing feminist stuff "out of context" (I honestly don't remember what issue this was about specifically). Jay called him "overly sensitive", "Sensitive Joss Whedon is what we should call him. But that's way too clunky, we should use an acronym". Then they stared into the camera expressionless, and for everyone still not "getting it", the letters "SJW" popped up on the screen.

So yeah, I had a few moments throughout other RLM videos where I was wondering if they tend to stay on the asshole side of internet politics, going by the amount of homophobic and sexist jokes throughout the series, and unless I'm missing some huge sarcastic twist I'm not getting, this made it somewhat clear. Has there been talks about this on Era somewhere, and am I (hopefully) in the wrong? Did they ever clearly take position on all this? Why does everyone on Youtube have to be some secret shitbag?

Sblargh

Oct 25, 2017
Caved in. Watched. Might be post movie feelings, but this is probably my favorite star wars movie.

Went for the hate, stayed for the love.

Hail Satan

Oct 27, 2017
So

I was just watching a few backlog HitB episodes when the Jurassic World episode came up. It was fun and all, then a minor rant about Joss Whedon came up, about him doing feminist stuff "out of context" (I honestly don't remember what issue this was about specifically). Jay called him "overly sensitive", "Sensitive Joss Whedon is what we should call him. But that's way too clunky, we should use an acronym". Then they stared into the camera expressionless, and for everyone still not "getting it", the letters "SJW" popped up on the screen.

So yeah, I had a few moments throughout other RLM videos where I was wondering if they tend to stay on the asshole side of internet politics, going by the amount of homophobic and sexist jokes throughout the series, and unless I'm missing some huge sarcastic twist I'm not getting, this made it somewhat clear. Has there been talks about this on Era somewhere, and am I (hopefully) in the wrong? Did they ever clearly take position on all this? Why does everyone on Youtube have to be some secret shitbag?

I just watched that one too. Didnt seem like they were critiquing any movement but more of a comment on Joss Whedons reaction to an out of context scene he saw and reacted to as sexist without seeing the movie. I don't know the scene so I can't comment on it. The RLM guys will drop little comments about issues but mostly seem to not take firm stances in any issues and just pretty much talk about movies. They don't really try to be politically correct. From what I've seen they don't try and vocalize opinions on issues that deviate from the topic at hand except for slightly tangential comments. I could be wrong, maybe I missed something big but i think most of their commentary in those issues is more commenting on the reactions rather than taking a firm stance on the issues.

Just a couple of guys from the great city of Milwaukee talking movies. Might make a joke in poor taste but it doesn't seem to have any real sting to it. I could see how it could offend others given they don't really engage with current hot button (and important) issues. Comes across to me as an "ah whatever" approach sometimes.

Don't think they're in the alt right asshole crowd. I'd be very disappointed if I'm wrong though.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
FYI they posted a Patreon update saying that the tweet about fandango screwing them was very real and that there were sold out shows everywhere.

But that ultimately they managed to watch it and, filmed the video and are editing so who knows we might get it later today if not tomorrow.

Hail Satan

Oct 27, 2017
FYI they posted a Patreon update saying that the tweet about fandango screwing them was very real and that there were sold out shows everywhere.

But that ultimately they managed to watch it and, filmed the video and are editing so who knows we might get it later today if not tomorrow.

Hell yeah!

Thanks for the update. I keep forgetting they have a patreon page I need to sign up for. They of course deserve some of my money so I'll sign up, but are the extras on the patreon worth checking out?

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
With how mixed the reaction has been among hard core SW fans this review is by far the thing I'm most excited I've been for a RLM video since the last RLM video

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So

It's a joke. Pointing out that a guys critique of a thirty second clip as 'sexist' is kind of a stretch, from a serial philanderer no less, doesn't really belay their intent as channer memelords imo. If you watch their videos for long enough you'll see that they consistently fall to the left in what little political commentary they do make, but occasional gags like this have convinced a part of this site that they're actually part of some secret alt-right cabal, as if alt-righters could ever actually shut the fuck up about their views for ten seconds.

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge
I'm not a hardcore fan at all. I like the franchise and my only knowledge of the extended universe are the Jedi Knights and KotOR games. I thought TFA was a good, safe comeack
from the PT.

There wasn't much to like in this movie for me and I'm really curious about their opinions.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a joke. Pointing out that a guys critique of a thirty second clip as 'sexist' is kind of a stretch, from a serial philanderer no less, doesn't really belay their intent as channer memelords imo. If you watch their videos for long enough you'll see that they consistently fall to the left in what little political commentary they do make, but occasional gags like this have convinced a part of this site that they're actually part of some secret alt-right cabal, as if alt-righters could ever actually shut the fuck up about their views for ten seconds.
I don't think they're alt right, they're just older white dudes from Wisconsin. It shows with some of their more racist jokes (Asians especially), that Sensitive Hosts Whedon joke, and how they always need to turn movies with prominant female characters into discussions about feminism in movies and how cynical it is.

a lot less frustrating too. i cannot believe this is a movie that got made. i thought disney cared about star wars? they're just removing everything that made star wars "star wars"
This is a bad post.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Everything rips off of something else.

I wouldn't expect you of all people to put forth such a bad-faith argument.
I mean there's a good "rip off" like Blade Runner 2049 or Stranger Things and a bad "rip off" like Ready Player One. This is somewhere in between, but for me, leaning very close to RPO. I would say it's a lot like the recent Hulu show Future Man, which has an episode where they invade James Cameron's mansion and seduce the AI controlling his security system. It's earnestly trying to do something original by reproducing what you already know.

I don't even if it's worth talking about specifics since it's all spoilers, but I thought it was really really bad that the movie's central premise is directly lifted from a somewhat recent science fiction show. It's an Orville-style ripoff that seems out of place in a billion dollar movie.