• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Not sure if posted here, but there's a Glitch that lets you pretty much freely explore all of New Austin as Arthur ( police will shoot you on sight though).

Iceman

Oct 26, 2017
Alhambra, CA
I not only loved the house bulding montage but really appreciated how it built on and reinforced the theme of progress -- precut homes and barns. It felt impressively (and maybe oppressively) futuristic after spending so many hours (100s) in makeshift camps and caves, never having a firm foundation and all the while watching the caravan become more dilapidated with every move.

Sensei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
when they said online would come at the end of november, they really werent kidding huh. i hope it comes before the psn sale ends so we can get some impressions and i can decide if i wanna buy a cheap bit of ps+

BrassDragon

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
There was a... what, a 7 year gap between her becoming this hardened gunslinger?

I was talking about the Sadie who takes point rescuing Abigail in Van Horn, not the Sadie in the Epilogue.

To my mind, there were a few beats missing between her choosing to dress up like the men in Rhodes and her competence in Arthur's final chapter - beats that could have made her a more rounded character.

Aswitch

"This guy are sick"
Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Was anyone else thrown off by how skinny John is when you play as him? Coming off playing as Arthur who was pretty big(even his underweight version), I was like why is Johns waist so damn tiny, lol.

Threw me off too. You can REALLY tell when you try to put a bandolier on him. Looks very off as it looks like it's based off Arthur's character model still.

Aswitch

"This guy are sick"
Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
It absolutely shook me.

You know the whole time(during epilogue 1&2) i was in denial thinking that he would come back? How he died (in the honor ending helping john escape) It seemed like he kinda could still be alive considering he wasn't stabbed or shot compared to the other ones but after seeing the other endings, the gruesome epilogues of the other choices and the common theme they share, and mary at Arthur's tomb, and researching tuberculosis and how severe it is(especially back then) put me back down to earth.

Man when Arthur Sent off Abigail and Sadie and Jack. I lost it. So noble and admirable trying to make amends for his sins.

I need to play RDR1 again now to get a refresher on Marston, but I think i like Arthur a bit more considering all of the events that take place in RDR1

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I was talking about the Sadie who takes point rescuing Abigail in Van Horn, not the Sadie in the Epilogue.

To my mind, there were a few beats missing between her choosing to dress up like the men in Rhodes and her competence in Arthur's final chapter - beats that could have made her a more rounded character.

Well, the first mission you do with her did have her tell you beforehand that she can basically take care of herself. So the competence felt like a given.

ctcatsby

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I'm replaying Chapter 1 now, and it strikes me that the Blackwater fiasco is never explained. In the first couple chapters, you get the sense there's going to be a grand reveal that demonstrates just how demented Dutch has become or shows there was a traitor in the ranks even before the start of the game, but...nothing. I don't particularly mind, as by the end the Blackwater episode is besides the point. It's a macguffin, like the contents of the case in Ronin.

However, with both Blackwater and the bank job in Saint Denis, the game heavily implies someone was tipping off the Pinkertons, but there's no resolution there at all Molly only says she lead them to the swamp hideout, but Milton later contradicts that. Micah is the most obvious candidate (and he is a completely wretched asshole from the minute he appears), but Milton says he didn't turn until after Guarma.

While I loved the story to death, I can't tell if this is a deliberate mystery or a continuity error. Rockstar isn't exactly known for watertight narratives.

Geno

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Thessaloniki
I'm a bit sad about Javier, knowing his fate in RDR1. Yeah he did side with Dutch but you could tell he was thinking about it, I wish we got more missions with him.

Aswitch

"This guy are sick"
Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I'm replaying Chapter 1 now, and it strikes me that the Blackwater fiasco is never explained. In the first couple chapters, you get the sense there's going to be a grand reveal that demonstrates just how demented Dutch has become or shows there was a traitor in the ranks even before the start of the game, but...nothing. I don't particularly mind, as by the end the Blackwater episode is besides the point. It's a macguffin, like the contents of the case in Ronin.

However, with both Blackwater and the bank job in Saint Denis, the game heavily implies someone was tipping off the Pinkertons, but there's no resolution there at all Molly only says she lead them to the swamp hideout, but Milton later contradicts that. Micah is the most obvious candidate (and he is a completely wretched asshole from the minute he appears), but Milton says he didn't turn until after Guarma.

While I loved the story to death, I can't tell if this is a deliberate mystery or a continuity error. Rockstar isn't exactly known for watertight narratives.

You're totally right! I forgot about that. Think they could go further back to young hosea, dutch, and arthur in RDR3? I think they'll be putting themselves in a box but who knows.

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

I think that's a problem with this game in general, there are so many characters and the missions end up getting spread thin.

Curiously though I feel that their are too many missions with a certain few characters, like in Chapter 3 there was a mission with Molly which I was exited about but it turned out to be another robbery missions with Bill, who I find to be an incredibly uninteresting character. Sadie really needed a mission in Chapter 2 though, for months (canonical in-game time) she basically hangs around the Camp but has nothing to say, even her development as becoming Pearson's assistant (and their growing disdain for each other) is lost on players who don't interact with gang members much.

BrassDragon

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Help.....

My heart is completely shattered for Arthur.....

How to make this pain goes away.....

Ouch :"-(

Mary-Beth: "Maybe you'll get better."
Arthur: "I don't think so."
Mary-Beth: "Then... then I'm sorry."
Arthur: "Only thing is, since then I've started seeing things differently. I don't know... whole world seems different somehow. I can't explain it. Like, better almost."
Mary-Beth: "That a good thing?"
Arthur: "I guess it is. Only sometimes I ain't doing the good thing."

ctcatsby

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I think that's a problem with this game in general, there are so many characters and the missions end up getting spread thin.

Curiously though I feel that their are too many missions with a certain few characters, like in Chapter 3 there was a mission with Molly which I was exited about but it turned out to be another robbery missions with Bill, who I find to be an incredibly uninteresting character. Sadie really needed a mission in Chapter 2 though, for months (canonical in-game time) she basically hangs around the Camp but has nothing to say, even her development as becoming Pearson's assistant (and their growing disdain for each other) is lost on players who don't interact with gang members much.

Molly needed her own mission somewhere early in the game. If you don't hang around the camp and pester people, it's very easy to forget about her and/or have no interest, which is a problem for her later big scene.

I wish Javier had some sort of mission later in the game. He and Arthur get along so well for the most of the story, but when the gang begins to crumble he just gives Arthur the cold shoulder and blabbers on about loyalty. Another mission that mirrored the early game search for John would have gone a long way in hammering home that it was the end for Dutch's gang and made his siding against Arthur more impactful.

ODDI

Oct 27, 2017
For all the flak Chapter 5 gets, Guarma still had a pretty damn good soundtrack for its missions.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR

The Blackwater fiasco is definitely explained, though not in an explicit scene as much of the other exposition. Read Arthur's journal; it starts before Chapter 1, so you can get a sense of how he and Hosea were making a plan to rob a bank and then Micah convinced Dutch that there was lots of money on the riverboat (which ends up being true, incidentally, and makes up the bulk of the cash that was hidden and gets recovered in the endgame; I think they explain that it's a $150,000 score in one of the papers as well). The Blackwater fiasco is further detailed through conversations that happen independently of Arthur. I'm replaying the game as well, and there's a conversation I didn't recall overhearing before in Chapter 2 where John chews out Dutch about Blackwater, asks him about the girl and rants about how he's changed since bringing Micah onboard. And Arthur has brief conversations with other people to give impressions about what exactly happened.

Now how the Pinkertons came to find out about the Blackwater job and the Saint Denis bank? Yeah, that part is sort of hand-waved away with a "to move the plot forward" excuse. It would make more sense that Micah was a rat from day one, since he's the one who convinced Dutch to hit the boat, but like you said, that gets directly contradicted by the Pinkerton agent. Maybe Milton was lying, who knows? I'm leaning towards "the story was changed multiple times in development which left some loose ends that were never sufficiently tied back up."

Deleted member 2595

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

While you're looking for John Javier says that during the Blackwater heist Dutch killed a woman in a bad way and that he's never seen that side of him before. Arthur says maybe that's his true self and we're just seeing it.

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
So is the series going to become a trilogy? There really isn't much left to tell. John, Arthur, and Dutch are all dead. Making another prequel to the prequel would be kind of pointless since we know where it all leads. You are kind of limited with the Wild West setting. I guess they could do a story that takes place in the California, Arizona, and Oregon area.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
So is the series going to become a trilogy? There really isn't much left to tell. John, Arthur, and Dutch are all dead. Making another prequel to the prequel would be kind of pointless since we know where it all leads. You are kind of limited with the Wild West setting. I guess they could do a story that takes place in the California, Arizona, and Oregon area.
They kind of already did. Rockstar isn't going to use real states, so they do kind of "stand-ins" for real places. New Austin already has a strong New Mexico / Arizona vibe, and I always had the impression that Tall Trees (especially in RDR 1) was sort of meant to evoke the Redwood forests of California up into the pine forests of the Pacific Northwest. You could make the case in RDR 1 that it was more of a Rockies homage, but now that you've got the Grizzlies, Tall Trees pretty much has to be the Pacific Northwest.

I hope they don't do another prequel. Go the same route as GTA and make it a completely unconnected story in the same universe. And I'd go earlier; right around the tail end of the Civil War and the beginning of the contentious reconstruction (which spurred a lot of people West in the first place).

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
The epilogue really feels like a condensed version of RDR 1. Enjoying it more than half the chapters in the main game to be honest. The atmosphere is relaxing, the pacing is better (as a stand alone experience) and you get to hang out with two of the better gang members. The downsides are you have to start again with your horse/money and there's no camp aspect whatsoever.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a bit sad about Javier, knowing his fate in RDR1. Yeah he did side with Dutch but you could tell he was thinking about it, I wish we got more missions with him.

Yeah same. I prepared to hate Javier figuring he sided with Dutch since you hunt him down in the first game. And the steelbook totally spoils who sides with who. But him playing songs at campfires was the best. Cielito Lindo was my favorite moment of the game.

I think the only gang members I completely hated were Micah and Dutch.

ctcatsby

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I highly recommend replaying Chapter 1 after finishing the story. So many strong lines.

Lenny to Micah: "When you fall, there'll be a party."

Damn right there was, Ynnel. Bought all the pants in Saint Denis right afterwards.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
I highly recommend replaying Chapter 1 after finishing the story. So many strong lines.

Lenny to Micah: "When you fall, there'll be a party."

Damn right there was, Ynnel. Bought all the pants in Saint Denis right afterwards.

I think it was Micah that was saying some racist shit about Lenny at camp. Ugh. I hate that Arthur wasn't the one to kill him.

Andrew Lucas

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Arthur's really the best protagonist ever made in gaming, the writing was perfects and so was the voice acting and motion capture. Just got into the epilogue after the good ending, game's feel different. I miss my boy Morgan. Watching him take care of his horse until it passed away was something hard to digest.

Rockstar, thank you for fucking me up.

Deleted member 36493

User requested account closure
Dec 19, 2017
Echoing what another user has mentioned, but exploring the world as John after finishing the game really does feel like some weird limbo between RDR2 and RDR

Oct 27, 2017
London
I want a RDR remake featuring Sadie and Charles to tie everything together and why they weren't the last gang members being hunted down actually. Would be a great opportunity to add the RDR 2 immersion features and better graphics and world over to RDR 1. Or more realistically a RDR 2 DLC where Sadie is playable set at the same time as RDR 1 to tie the two games together coherently and explain things.

Oct 30, 2017
Mary-Beth: "Maybe you'll get better."
Arthur: "I don't think so."
Mary-Beth: "Then... then I'm sorry."
Arthur: "Only thing is, since then I've started seeing things differently. I don't know... whole world seems different somehow. I can't explain it. Like, better almost."
Mary-Beth: "That a good thing?"
Arthur: "I guess it is. Only sometimes I ain't doing the good thing."
Arthur is the best written character I've ever seen ;_;

Deleted member 32679

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
I cried like 3 times during the last mission. When Arthur says goodbye to Tilly, when Arthur runs to save Sadie, and when Arthur gives John his hat.

That "I'm Afraid" line also had me choking up

Deleted member 2595

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty likely they'll go back further into the 1800s in future, but I don't think it's likely it'll be a prequel. Perhaps it might share a character or two, but won't be like the set-up for the future games (until near the end when all the pieces fall into place or something).

Could be wrong. Sadie Adler in 1908 Mexico/South America would be unreal.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
It's pretty likely they'll go back further into the 1800s in future, but I don't think it's likely it'll be a prequel. Perhaps it might share a character or two, but won't be like the set-up for the future games (until near the end when all the pieces fall into place or something).

Could be wrong. Sadie Adler in 1908 Mexico/South America would be unreal.
I want a 1920s Mobster Jack (well I just want a 1920s R* Mobster game, but Jack would make sense if they wanted to keep some RDR tie).

Deleted member 2595

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, I know it's not happening. But if they are going forward I'd much rather that, than Sadie in Mexico or another End of The Wild West setting.
There's no way they can get away with another end of the wild west thing. I don't even know why they went so hard on this for RDR2, too. It did add some new angles, I guess.

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
I am sorry but the game would have been much better without the epilogue and Arthur just killing Micah. The epilogue almost soured me on the experience and I couldn't wait for it to end. I get why they wanted to do it but I just wish they didn't try to take away all the shine from Morgan and try to make it about John. Mind you, I haven't played rdr1 as I gave it a couple of times but for some reason or other it didn't click with me at the time. Maybe I might give it a go now. I kinda know the ending so guess that is a bummer but would still like to try it out after this wonderful experience.

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
Red Dead is a western series, and the mobster thing has been heavily done by Mafia. It would be cool but there's no way.
Yeah, I honestly don't know what they would even do. How much more can you really get out of the current cast of characters from part 2 and 1? I don't think we will get a trilogy. If anything they will probably tell another story with brand new characters.
At least I hope they do. I love Dutch and the gang but having another prequel set in the early days would be kind of taking away from the impact of these two games. Especially now that we find out how much Dutch changed and how John came to be the way he was. I guess playing as a young Arthur would be cool, but where does the redemption part of the series come in? lol

Deleted member 2595

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I honestly don't know what they would even do. How much more can you really get out of the current cast of characters from part 2 and 1? I don't think we will get a trilogy. If anything they will probably tell another story with brand new characters.
At least I hope they do. I love Dutch and the gang but having another prequel set in the early days would be kind of taking away from the impact of these two games. Especially now that we find out how much Dutch changed and how John came to be the way he was. I guess playing as a young Arthur would be cool, but where does the redemption part of the series come in? lol
I think setting up a new story in the real wild west, like the 1830s through the 1870s, that segues into RDR2 in some way would be the most natural way forward.

E.g.:
Late 1850s: we play Landon Ricketts in his heyday
Early/mid 1860s: Ricketts finds Dutch a street orphan, mentors him
1870s: story ends with Ricketts leaving or joining the law or something, Dutch finds Arthur
Timeskip to 1914: Ricketts' death

Or something

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
I found hilarious that in the epilogue, after years!, that english guy was still looking for Gavin saying the same lines lol

I never put much into that but, is it a quest? Can it be solved?

Salty Catfish

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I found hilarious that in the epilogue, after years!, that english guy was still looking for Gavin saying the same lines lol

I never put much into that but, is it a quest? Can it be solved?
He was the first random encounter I saw as John once I went back out in the open world lol. I died laughing. And no, sadly there's no way to reunite that desperate fellow with his beloved Gavin.

Geno

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Thessaloniki
Anyone else disappointed we never got an origin for the God person from the RDR1 Side quest? I was certain we were going to get his backstory but only 1 easter egg.

BrassDragon

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Replaying the game is fascinating, knowing how things end. There is lots of hidden meaning in incidental dialogue; when the gang is waiting out the snow in Colter, Rev. Swanson preaches to the women with a passage from Isaiah 40:

He giveth power to the faint; and to them that have no might he increaseth strength. Even the youths shall faint and be weary, and the young men shall utterly fall: But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.

It's about doubting that the higher powers cares about you and finding energy in your weakest moments when you realise they do. Pretty apt.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Gotta say, my drive to play nosedived after finishing the Epilogues.

John Marston is awesome, but Arthur is so much better in every way. What a great character. And badass to boot.

I'm thinking of either restarting and just staying in chapter 3 forever, or reload an earlier save and just stay there for eternity.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
I love that each plan Dutch comes up with involves him escaping. Whether it's leaving, stealing, just whatever, his plans are always about escaping rather than fixing. Makes sense with his character.