• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A well optimized game wouldn't need the top of the line GPU to run at the settings you described. I am happy I found the settings I could live with and achieve 60 fps but this game has SERIOUS optimization issues.

Please don't give Rockstar a pass and just call it future proof.

I have most things on ultra or high, so it really doesn't seem *that* bad from my perspective... but that's what has me so confused. Since my performance has been relatively good, I would have assumed it would have been good enough on a much wider range of systems... which doesn't seem to be the case. The dropoff seems to be sudden and kinda severe. I'm sure they'll get it sorted out in time.

taggen86

Mar 3, 2018
Did some API benchmarks myself to decide which one to use. Running the benchmark 4k/high (same settings I game with) on my 2080 ti/9700 and found that Vulcan provided higher average fps (plus 0.5-1 fps).

Vulcan run 1 min 19.72 max 122.932 mean 54.82

Vulcan run 2 min 30.83 max 109.489 mean 55.39

DX 12 run 1 min 34.23 max 94.27 mean 54.48

DX 12 run 2 min 18.146 max 111.01 mean 54.268

However, the biggest difference was actually loading times where DX12 gave me much longer loading times for some reason. Am I the only one that see significantly longer loading times with DX12?

Based on this I will def continue using Vulcan

Last edited:

TheUnforgiven

Banned
Nov 23, 2018
A well optimized game wouldn't need the top of the line GPU to run at the settings you described. I am happy I found the settings I could live with and achieve 60 fps but this game has SERIOUS optimization issues.

With comments like these we get consecuences like we've seen in dying light. Devs restricting graphical features to avoid the internet crying over not being able to achieve the performance they expect when using whatever preset they think they should be able to use.

I wont be surprised if rockstar introduces a downgrade in settings in a patch to avoid the shitstorm.

smashballTaz

Oct 29, 2017
There is a 2.69gb patch for the game downloading now on the Rockstar Launcher, lets hope it fixes the stuttering for me so I don't have to use a CPU limiter.

taggen86

Mar 3, 2018
Can anyone explain why setting the game to ultra low latency in the nvidia control panel increases my average FPS by around 1 fps? Have anyone else noticed this? Running the benchmark 4k/high (same settings I game with) on my 2080 ti/9700:

Ultra low latency off

Vulcan run 1 min 19.72 max 122.932 mean 54.82

Vulcan run 2 min 30.83 max 109.489 mean 55.39

Ultra low latency on

Vulcan 1 24.78 103.408 56.01

Vulcan 2 28.19 91.18 56.04

Nov 2, 2017

Without knowing what high or ultra mean this is a stupid way to see things. If they scrapped high & ultra then renamed medium to ultra, low to high and made a new medium and low it would suddenly be "optimised"?

Back in the day top of the line GPUs couldn't even run 30fps in some PC exclusives at max settings. I remember high end GPUs running Crysis at 20-30 fps at 1680x1050 for example. IMO games should push GPUs like that at max settings.

smashballTaz

Oct 29, 2017
Did you already download the patch from earlier in the day??

I assume I must have, it's morning where I am and I last played the game about 10 hours ago.

[edit] I'm trying to find the super detailed post someone made I think a couple of days ago regarding in-depth graphics settings, which was colour-coded to show the performance hit of each setting set to high or ultra. It was 3 screencaps of every graphics setting and each one was annotated with how essential it was versus how much performance it effected. I'm sure I'll find it eventually, would be great if a mod could threadmark it though, or even add it to the OP.

Many thanks.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is quite often the case. AMDs CPUs usually have more cores/threads vs. their ~equivalent Intel counter parts. In the less CPU demanding scenarios of the game, the AMD CPUs tend to not perform all that well, partly because (core-) utilization is worse than on Intel CPUs. In the more CPU demanding scenarios often do significantly better. Might bode well for the future for the AMD CPUs, but that's not safe to say.

R5 3600 and i7 8700k have the same amount of cores and threads (6c/12t). The 8700k runs faster and at a higher clockspeed though. Hence why I'm a bit surprised about the R5 getting a more stable performance. Could be the additional cache on Ryzen.

h00jraq

Mar 21, 2019
WTF with those frame times on 6 core CPU's? I need to bottleneck my GPU in order to get rid off those riddiculous frame times?

rBose

Oct 28, 2017
Did you already download the patch from earlier in the day??

Tried the patch, I didnt feel as if something improved, they probably addressed some UI bugs that people reported and a couple crashes, I believe theres no changelog ?

Apparently this is what the patch contained, among others

Improvements to address issues that resulted in Red Dead Redemption 2 crashing due to Anti-Virus software.

Improvements to address issues that resulted in the Rockstar Games Launcher returning the error "The Rockstar Games Launcher exited unexpectedly" when launching Red Dead Redemption 2

Frankfurter

Oct 27, 2017
R5 3600 and i7 8700k have the same amount of cores and threads (6c/12t). The 8700k runs faster and at a higher clockspeed though. Hence why I'm a bit surprised about the R5 getting a more stable performance. Could be the additional cache on Ryzen.

Duh, for whatever reason I was looking at the 3700x there.

beeswax

Oct 30, 2017
Me: So I get home, update my X570 mobo's BIOS to the very latest AGESA 1004 version that dropped yesterday. AND the Rockstar launcher downloads an update for RDR2, there's no way it can stop me from launching now!

Rockstar:
Me:

rage1.gif
Oh. My. God. Same shit here, except no matter how many times I try and launch it, I get the same error! After 10 or so attempts, Rockstar are now giving me this:
capture3qk6m.png

Fucking priceless. "We can't connect but have detected that you've connected too many times". FUCK YOU ROCKSTAR.

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
You know what? I turned off the FPS counter, made sure G-Sync was engaged and called it a day. I don't know if it's G-Sync, the well implemented motion blur or the usually slow pace of the game, but I really don't feel dips in FPS that much. Was actually surprised when I was at Valentine during the night, thinking "can't believe I'm reaching 60 here", just to enable RTSS' HUD to realise I was at my low 50s (mix of high and ultra settings, Vulkan, 3440x1400 with a 1080 TI). So yeah, for the moment I'm happy.

OP
OP
GrrImAFridge

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
I assume I must have, it's morning where I am and I last played the game about 10 hours ago.

[edit] I'm trying to find the super detailed post someone made I think a couple of days ago regarding in-depth graphics settings, which was colour-coded to show the performance hit of each setting set to high or ultra. It was 3 screencaps of every graphics setting and each one was annotated with how essential it was versus how much performance it effected. I'm sure I'll find it eventually, would be great if a mod could threadmark it though, or even add it to the OP.

Many thanks.

It is in the OP, under "Performance guides".

rBose

Oct 28, 2017
Oh. My. God. Same shit here, except no matter how many times I try and launch it, I get the same error! After 10 or so attempts, Rockstar are now giving me this:
capture3qk6m.png

Fucking priceless. "We can't connect but have detected that you've connected too many times". FUCK YOU ROCKSTAR.

Try using a free vpn service like tunnelbear and see if it works, and maybe later youll be later to connect without it

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
You know what? I turned off the FPS counter, made sure G-Sync was engaged and called it a day. I don't know if it's G-Sync, the well implemented motion blur or the usually slow pace of the game, but I really don't feel dips in FPS that much. Was actually surprised when I was at Valentine during the night, thinking "can't believe I'm reaching 60 here", just to enable RTSS' HUD to realise I was at my low 50s (mix of high and ultra settings, Vulkan, 3440x1400 with a 1080 TI). So yeah, for the moment I'm happy.
With GSYNC enabled, sometimes ignorance can be bliss.
_id1573060917_343178.png

my god .. wtf is up with msaa and water quality being so taxing....
JESUS CHRIST, what is going ON with the water in this game?!

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
How do I limit my CPU to not completely fuck me over at 100% usage

This is what one of my friends runnning a 2500k did and he played the game ever ever sinces stutter free;

First, you have to play in DX12. Vulkan for those i5 is unplayable and cause the big hitching.

Now you have to download Process Lasso
Select RDR2 from that list, CPU limiter >

''When CPU use is'' > Set it to 98
''For a period of'' leave it blank
''Reduce by this many cores'' > Set it to 1
''For a peroid of'' > Set it to 1

Hit add rule, then ok.

Then after that set the game's prioirty to above normal and that's it. Anyone that gets those freezes due to the CPU spike can try this method.

Dec 15, 2017
Without knowing what high or ultra mean this is a stupid way to see things. If they scrapped high & ultra then renamed medium to ultra, low to high and made a new medium and low it would suddenly be "optimised"?

Back in the day top of the line GPUs couldn't even run 30fps in some PC exclusives at max settings. I remember high end GPUs running Crysis at 20-30 fps at 1680x1050 for example. IMO games should push GPUs like that at max settings.

I'm not so sure.

Crysis is a 12 year old game that still looks good today. Rdr is not that future proof, it does not take advantage of all the vram available today so it's textures look terrible. It's not even the best looking open world game on PC. AC oddysey and unity look and even run better

As of today, the game is broken. Even if high end machines can power their way through the issues.

smashballTaz

Oct 29, 2017
Ugh this is so frustrating. I managed to eventually get everything running somewhat smoothly yesterday, made it to the second camp and the first town, I think its called Valentine. Picked up a side-mission from a writer trying to write someone's biography. Went outside, got into a fight with someone because they didn't like me standing too close to them, the game crashed. Now whenever I try and restart, it gets to the points where its about to load, its does the sepia-esque black and white effect, but just totally freezes.

I guess I'll mess around with some settings more. Or try and load an earlier autosave, if there is one.

[edit] Well I've managed to get back into the game, although I changed a few settings so I'm not 100% sure which one fixed my issue, or if it was luck. Changed from Vulkan to DX12, from fullscreen to windowed fullscreen, and also lowered my textures to medium.

Last edited:

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
My PC has a Ryzen 5 3600, a GTX 1080 Ti and 32GB DDR4 memory at 3000MHz CL15.

Reflection and Water are really intensive, I recommend setting them to Medium and working your way up or down from there.
You might be able to set Water Simulation a notch or two up, I think I last had mine set half way but I could be mistaken.

I have TXAA set to Medium, I found high to be pretty demanding. I did the same with SSAO.

Another suggestion would be volumetrics at Low or Medium, with the Grass and Geometry sliders off.

When I get home I'm going to experiment with the settings even more and upload some more videos.

Last edited:

My Name is John Marston

Alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not so sure.

Crysis is a 12 year old game that still looks good today. Rdr is not that future proof, it does not take advantage of all the vram available today so it's textures look terrible. It's not even the best looking open world game on PC. AC oddysey and unity look and even run better

As of today, the game is broken. Even if high end machines can power their way through the issues.

AC Odyssey and Unity don't come close to how good RDR2 looks. And Unity has prebaked AO and GI without real time day night cycle, it doesn't count.

High end machines work fine. Just don't play on ultra settings.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Basically, MSAA is extremely expensive in engines that use deferred rendering as it's applied to each pass instead of just the final frame.
I love when games offer MSAA option even though I might not be able to use that settings immediately. Years down the line when hardware is powerful enough and can easily bruteforce MSAA, it makes older games look amazing.

freshVeggie

Oct 25, 2017
Only played two games Day 1 in my life.
No Man's Sky & Red Dead Redemption 2.

Suffice to say, the appeal of it is gone.

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
My 2080S is having trouble on med-high settings at 1440p...

Or could it be that my CPU is too weak? I dont know the exact model though, its a midrange will have to check back home.

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017
With comments like these we get consecuences like we've seen in dying light. Devs restricting graphical features to avoid the internet crying over not being able to achieve the performance they expect when using whatever preset they think they should be able to use.

I wont be surprised if rockstar introduces a downgrade in settings in a patch to avoid the shitstorm.

Or they could actually optimize the game correctly?

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
My 2080S is having trouble on med-high settings at 1440p...

Or could it be that my CPU is too weak? I dont know the exact model though, its a midrange will have to check back home.

If your cpu is an older i5, then that might be an issue. Otherwise refer to the guide posted above to see if you maybe have some of the more demanding settings turned up. A 2080S with a 6-8threaded cpu at least should be doing 60 fps comfortably at 1440p with med/high