• Below 70, Not Recommended

Votes: 167 5.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SENPAIatLARGE

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FUCK FUCK FUCK...

I'm only about 60% through Assasins Creed Odyssey and I know that if I start RDR2, I'll likely not ever come back to it.
B6CDE139C050890049AC53D62B66BCD75F81D000

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Crazy reviews. It joins Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey as the best reviewed games of the generation!

This gen has been crazy good quality wise and there's still a year or two left!!

Deleted member 2595

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From the Slant review:

giphy.gif
Having spoken to a few Rockstar devs over the years, they are aware of this and feel strongly about it too, but "fixing it" is not as easy as it sounds (rebuilding your entire animation and response pipeline; which is vast, intricate and dense). Compare how many full AC games it took to iterate on their control scheme

Amazing gif btw, with the guy getting up in the background - only just noticed that

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Oh whoops I forgot a link. Here: https://kotaku.com/red-dead-redemption-2-the-kotaku-review-1829984369

I cannot recommend this review enough. It's one of the best I've ever read.

Intentional or not, Red Dead Redemption 2 can be read as a meditation on failed leaders, and even as a potent critique of the internal and external cultures that Rockstar has helped perpetuate. Dutch Van der Linde is every inch the manipulative boss, frightening not only for his violent nature but for his ability to marshal people to work against their own self-interest. Time and again he reveals his shameless hypocrisy, and his promises of a new life are consistently shown to be empty maneuvering. "This isn't a prison camp," he says at one point, uncannily echoing every supervisor who has ever coerced an underling into a technically optional task. "I am not forcing anybody to stay. So either we're in this together, working together to get out together, or we're not. There simply isn't a reality in which we do nothing and get everything." I half-expected him to promise everyone bonuses if they hit their sales target.​

I think the review is excellent but that quote had me double check it. I mean, come on.

n5Wg8Y.gif

Mar 23, 2018
And literally all the PS4 reviews will be on a pro, don't kid yourself.

I'm not sure what your point is. If there is a much smaller sample size that plays on a more powerful console, then it is much more likely for that score to skew in a higher direction if the game is loved by most. That's just how stats work.

If John plays RDR2 on Xbox (because he owns only an xbox) and gives the game a 10, but Jim played it on PS4 and give it a 9, does that mean the xbox is better just because someone that likes the game less happened to play on a PS4? You can't quantify that unless the reviews specifically mention that the game is a 10 on Xbox One X, and the same reviewer says the game is only a 9 on PS4 Pro.

honest_ry

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
My friend is about 20 hours in and he rates it a 7 so far.

Says it immersive as fuck but theres hours where its just not a fun video game.

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
Bought the PS4 Pro RDR2 bundle for this game. I've resisted a PS4 up to this point but I've gotta play this game!

Tareskog

Oct 30, 2017
Trondheim
I pity people who get emotionally engaged and angry at those 10% of the reviews who are not giving this game a 9 or 10/10.

Serious question: Why does it matter so much for you that a game that is this universally praised by 90% of the reviews, don´t get a better score with the rest? It´s not like they kicked your dog or anything.

OT: Seems like the game is getting the score everyone, including me, was guessing in beforehand. I´m really looking forward to play it tomorrow. I value sleep too much to stay awake tonight just for a game.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Watched EZA review. Really remarkable. One thing I am a little hesitant on is your horse not being able to be called everywhere. I guess Odyssey has spoiled me but I love the option to get in and get out whenever, wherever, but alas, that's not realistic and I know RDR2 is going for the most realistic approach that it can.

Oh fuck noo noooo noooo I'm getting Breath of the wild flashback now where you also couldn't call your horse outside stable. I hated that. Made horses a chore to the point where I stopped using them :[

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Slant Magazine:
Red Dead Redemption 2 - 7
Marvel's Spider-Man - 7
Assassin's Creed Odyssey - 7
Detroit Become Human - 5
Far Cry 5 - 5
Wolfenstein II - 3

That's just some of the games from this year too that are far off the average.

honestly i would agree with all those scores, far off the average doesn´t mean a thing in times where scores are a little too high in general.

haven´t played RDR 2 yet but whew, hopefully, that doesn´t mean i will be disappointed in RDR 2 too

critics these days are throwing around 9s and 10s, often the games are overrated in the grand scheme of things

afrodubs

Oct 27, 2017
Jesus at all the ridiculous chatter about highest rated game of all time. I swear to god lol. People are so naive.

Game looks great, but these lists are stupid as anything ever created. The people that worship them are weird.
Yea what's the deal with this? It's it how these threads normally go?
Greg Miller not enjoying it is a bit of a downer for me. Usually agree with him on pretty much everything. He loves Odyssey.
Gave me alarm bells as well as I was one of the few that was luke warm on RDR1.
A 10\10 doesn't mean the game is perfect.
I'd should mean that tho don't you think?

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
Boy, this is 2015 all over again, isn't it. A major Sony exclusive title that's not open world, vs a major third party, open world game for GOTY winner.

Courage

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I'm not sure if you're trying to make fun of that paragraph, but it sounds very much in line with what I expect from R* and open world games in general. Seems like a very valid position.
I'm more so disappointed than anything since this is their 5th game with this engine and still can't improve such an important aspect of the game.

Mar 23, 2018
I pity people who get emotionally engaged and angry at those 10% of the reviews who are not giving this game a 9 or 10/10.

Serious question: Why does it matter so much for you that a game that is this universally praised by 90% of the reviews, don´t get a better score with the rest? It´s not like they kicked your dog or anything.

OT: Seems like the game is getting the score everyone, including me, was guessing in beforehand. I´m really looking forward to play it tomorrow. I value sleep too much to stay awake tonight just for a game.

Preach. It's irrational, and toxic to get mad at reviewers for their opinions, especially when they are well thought out and written. If someone says "red dead 2 sucks" but never plays it, then yeah, don't listen to that person. But if someone takes the time to review something and put a lot of thought into it, I completely respect that.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
From the Slant review:

giphy.gif

There actually doesn't seem to be anything click-baity in the Slant review. If a games controls don't click with you it can really hamper your enjoyment of a game.

GTA IV, RDR and GTA V all felt clunky to me I terms of character control, so it doesn't seem outrageous to point out if Rockstar still haven't improved in this area.