Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I actually like that mission in chapter 2 where you rob a house at night. I simply want to do more of that, but sadly most houses can't be entered. There's a lockpicking tool and I expect to use it more often. But instead, we only got like 7 homesteads that can be robbed, fantastic. Imagine if we can enter most houses. They may be locked but if we can sneak in using the lockpick and steal while the owner is sleeping that would make the world feel more realized.

Just like Kingdom Come, for a recent example.

I think they made the right decision to provide fewer, but far more unique houses with actual worthwhile stories to tell. Being able to loot random template house number 7 adds literally nothing apart from more work on the developers plate, a plate which is pretty well established to have been very full already.

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Well I spent a couple hours trying to find the White Arabian horse near Lake Isabella with no luck. I think I might've inadvertently scared it off when I was forced to shoot a nearby buck that decided to charge at me. First time I've seen that happen. Tried leaving the area and then going back hoping for a reset with no luck. I'm not sure if the Arabian will return to this area or if I should just reload an older save.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Witcher 3 has a barely reactive world. You can enter random peoples homes in Novigrad, and they won't give a shit. I remember when I was searching for a diagram, and I was entering a bunch of houses, nobody really seemed to mind me looting or sprinting across the room as they were going about their days. TW3's cities were amazing backdrops, but ultimately had no real sandbox purpose. RDR 2 (and bethesda games too) may have less interiors or less density but the world is way more reactive to player actions.
Yep got killed even by entering a house without permission while most of the time they threaten you to get out.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
omg, I'm in chapter 4.
Doing a mission that brings me to the barber. But I'd already had a haircut just prior to it, not realizing I'd be coming right back here. So here's Trelawney telling me that I'm not good, not good at all, forcing me to sit down in this barber's chair, with my hair already trimmed as short as I can get it while maintaining my current style.

9lnh8o14e6yz.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
Made it to the epilogue (my goodness is this game lengthy)

There's a few things i'd want to address about the story but don't want to get into heavy spoilers.

Instead, one thing i want to address that i don't really see a lot of people talking about is the redundancy in a lot of the games' systems that i think adds to the clunky unintuitiveness that a lot of people complain about. Some examples:

• Cores & Meters - Cores don't really make much sense in that they feel pretty unnecessary. There really doesn't seem to be any reason as to why more traditional status bars couldn't suffice thus allowing you only to have to focus on one aspect instead of two. This creates an insane level of redundancy with consumables. With the system now, you have 4 types of consumables that you have to manage: Foods that replenish your cores, Tonics that fortify your cores. Tonics that replenish your meters and tonics that fortify your meters. All this overlap seems terribly unnecessary. A more traditional system would allow you to simple use foods to replenish your status bars and have tonics act as fortifiers. That's it. The cores primarily determine the recharge rate of the meters but you can easily have regenerating health, stamina, and deadeye without the use of cores, pretty much like how every other game does regenerating status bars. It's effectively the same system but far more streamlined. This feels like R* trying to fix what isn't broken just as a means to try to differentiate themselves from other games.

• Food Consumption - Speaking of food, the way food is handled in this game makes no sense. You can have food in two different places; On your item wheel as well as in your satchel. The food that's on your item wheel are generally quick bite type of items (fruit, candy, bread, cheese, canned food, etc) that don't instantly max out your cores. At face value this makes sense because the item wheel is meant to be quickly accessible so it's easy to assume these foods are meant to help you when you're in a pinch in a firefight. You can get to it quickly and he eats it quickly. Ok cool. However, the problem is that you can have entire whole meals in your satchel that you can cook up from animals that you hunt and these meals will often time fill up your cores completely. You can access your satchel at anytime with the press (hold) of a button, time slows down (the same way when you use your weapon/item wheel) and you instantly consume these meals in the same fashion you consume the quick bite type of foods. So whats the point in having these two overlapping systems that do the same thing where one is demonstrably better than the other with zero drawbacks? Worst yet, the problem could have been easily rectified by making it so that the bigger meals you make from animals is exclusively stored on your horse. So if your in a firefight and away from your horse, you have to rely on the bite size food that's on your person but then can fully top up your cores once things die down and your back to your horse.

• RNG Animal Pelt system - What does the RNG of animal pelts add to the hunting? I don't understand why you couldn't have a more simplified system where every animal by default has a perfect felt and to ensure you get that perfect pelt, you have to kill them with the specified weapon. If you don't then the pelt is damaged. End of story. It's literally the same exact system that we have now just without the RNG. Worst yet, the way the economy is set up, poor and good quality pelts are essentially of no value. They don't sell for much and you can't craft with them. So you literally have no reason to waste your time hunting these lower quality pelts when you encounter them so whats the point of having the RNG to begin with?

• Masks vs. Bandanas - Like the food consumption, it's two different things that contribute to the same purpose. I don't know why these two things don't occupy the same item wheel slot rather than having it be that you can only access your mask when near your horse.

• Horse Stables - As it stands now, it feels pretty useless to have 4 different horses at your stable for anything beyond cosmetic gratification. There's no reason to rotate horses as they all serve the same exact purpose. Different breeds of horse should have had different gameplay benefits such as the big shire horses being better suited for hunting which grants you an additional spot to store large rolled up pelts

Jun 20, 2018
I keep getting sidetracked from everything I attempt! Go to a spot to find a herb, realise I'm close to a legendary fish location. Catch fish, then take the fish back to a post office, find a cabin with a map. Go hunting the treasure, come across an animal I need the pelt for.

Has anyone done all Master Challenges? I wasn't going to bother as it sounded like such a hassle, but now that I've done 3 of them, starting to think about it. The one that worries me is the bandit set. Spent ages getting my honour up after a spree of train robberies tanked it.

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
  • RNG Animal Pelt system - What does the RNG of animal pelts add to the hunting? I don't understand why you couldn't have a more simplified system where every animal by default has a perfect felt and to ensure you get that perfect pelt, you have to kill them with the specified weapon. If you don't then the pelt is damaged. End of story. It's literally the same exact system that we have now just without the RNG. Worst yet, the way the economy is set up, poor and good quality pelts are essentially of no value. They don't sell for much and you can't craft with them. So you literally have no reason to waste your time hunting these lower quality pelts when you encounter them so whats the point of having the RNG to begin with?

The game explains in its hunting tutorial mission that, like in real life, not every animal is going to have a quality fur/coat. With real animals, you'll encounter animals old and young, in good health or bad, and these factors often impact the luster, softness, and condition of its pelt. That's the logic governing the RNG in this case. As for why the sub-perfect quality animals are in the game despite their low sale/crafting value, well, it makes sense because it makes the perfect ones rarer and more worthwhile to track down. That said, I do wish the value system were more complex. Having only 3 tiers is too simplistic.

I agree with the rest of your post, especially concerning health & cores. Good write-up.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
The pelt quality really doesn't seem that bad. I haven't had any issues finding 3 stars within a few animals, scout them with binoculars first. I've also got the trinket that improves quality. For big animals I capture them with the lasso and close up knife them (no pelt degradation). If they're smaller I bring up their info and find out the ideal weapon to kill them and that usually keeps them at 3 stars.

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
Well I spent a couple hours trying to find the White Arabian horse near Lake Isabella with no luck. I think I might've inadvertently scared it off when I was forced to shoot a nearby buck that decided to charge at me. First time I've seen that happen. Tried leaving the area and then going back hoping for a reset with no luck. I'm not sure if the Arabian will return to this area or if I should just reload an older save.

Had that issue too but I eventually got her. What I did was play a few missions and general world viewing/traveling and such. When I finally went back it was right in front of Lake Isabella. The best tip I can give you is to make sure to spam the "calm" button as you crouch and slowly approach it and even lasso it to make sure you can get close enough to mount it. Once you do, rotate the left stick counter clockwise while spamming the "calm" button and it'll break the horse in quickly. I learned the trick from some comment on YouTube.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone knows if debt collecting missions are bugged in chapter 4? I did one, but the next two were locked ''due to my recent crimes''' (one in Rhodes and one next to Valentine). Did a lot of side stuff and few story missions and they don't appear anymore. I'm still in beginning of chapter 4.

Oct 27, 2017
How does skins / carcasses rotting work? Do only those stored on the horse rot? Hate there being a timer when I've actually managed to hunt something good.

Oct 27, 2017
Sleep and come back to the area, horse will be at the same spot as usual.

chocolate

Feb 28, 2018
It's funny yet weird at the same time how
John let's another woman bathe him. I thought that option wouldn't be possible but I guess not lol.

cevion

Oct 26, 2017
Anybody know if the Elk Antler share an inventory spot with something else? I killed a "Pristine Elk... Cow"(?), and got a Perfect Elk Pelt but no Antlers. A message popped up saying my inventory was full after skinning it (as it often does after skinning) Maybe the buck antlers I have equipped share the same slot as the elk antlers?

I'm trying to get the Legendary Satchel, and need these antlers for the scout fire upgrade. (:
Maybe I can hunt 1-2 star elks to get the antlers? Or perhaps I hunted the wrong kind of elk?

Would love any advice. Thanks in advance!

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
Anybody know if the Elk Antler share an inventory spot with something else? I killed a "Pristine Elk... Cow"(?), and got a Perfect Elk Pelt but no Antlers. A message popped up saying my inventory was full after skinning it (as it often does after skinning) Maybe the buck antlers I have equipped share the same slot as the elk antlers?

I'm trying to get the Legendary Satchel, and need these antlers for the scout fire upgrade. (:
Maybe I can hunt 1-2 star elks to get the antlers? Or perhaps I hunted the wrong kind of elk?

I ain't no David Attenborough, but I'd guess that the cow doesn't have farmable antlers.

chocolate

Feb 28, 2018

You have to try multiple times until she appears. She's on the left hand side of the lake.

Save near there and load if she's not there. Takes a couple of tries.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium

Antlers only grow on male elks.

AwesomeSauce

Oct 25, 2017
How does skins / carcasses rotting work? Do only those stored on the horse rot? Hate there being a timer when I've actually managed to hunt something good.

Pelts don't rot. Only the carcasses do, especially the one on the back of the horse.

Speaking of horses, does anyone's Arabian make too much noise when sprinting? My girl also gets antsy easily and i seem to have to calm her down often.

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Had that issue too but I eventually got her. What I did was play a few missions and general world viewing/traveling and such. When I finally went back it was right in front of Lake Isabella. The best tip I can give you is to make sure to spam the "calm" button as you crouch and slowly approach it and even lasso it to make sure you can get close enough to mount it. Once you do, rotate the left stick counter clockwise while spamming the "calm" button and it'll break the horse in quickly. I learned the trick from some comment on YouTube.

Thanks. This will literally be the first horse I acquire after the first one you get in chapter 1.

Sleep and come back to the area, horse will be at the same spot as usual.

You have to try multiple times until she appears. She's on the left hand side of the lake.

Save near there and load if she's not there. Takes a couple of tries.

Tried sleeping, leaving and coming back. No dice, sadly. I'm wondering if I might've hit a bug, but I'll wait for a few missions and come back to know for sure.

Even though I spent a couple hours trying, I don't feel like it was time wasted. Came across a creepy shack with something creepy inside that I won't spoil. But it made me really nervous the whole time I was up there.

cevion

Oct 26, 2017
Antlers only grow on male elks.
I ain't no David Attenborough, but I'd guess that the cow doesn't have farmable antlers.
Hah, oups - my bad. Should have figured that one out. I barely never saw an elk before (so much deer!) and had my dumb hat on, it seems. Thanks for your responses ;)

('m not very good at English ((obviously neither very intelligent)) and just thought Elk Cows were another species entirely =D. Realize now of course they're female elk.)

edit: Found a Bull Elk and got the antlers. I'll just sneak out of here, can we please forget about this? :D *tries vanish*

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Hahaa, rode up to my camp and attempted to get off my horse. Turns out that kid was standing next to me, Arthur climbs off, stands on the kid which catapults Arthurs legs over his head and flings him off the side of the horse, into the adjacent horse which fell over and then something must have glitched because my horse also fell over. Then Arthur says from under a pile of horses "God damn, get outta my way next time" Cracked me up.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Yeah given how realistic the game tries to be I'd love if there was a subsystem for preserving a carcass

It gets difficult when you're in the north hunting and you want to bring it all down South. You're always kind of trapped in orbit around one particular area it feels like.

Oct 27, 2017
The game explains in its hunting tutorial mission that, like in real life, not every animal is going to have a quality fur/coat. With real animals, you'll encounter animals old and young, in good health or bad, and these factors often impact the luster, softness, and condition of its pelt. That's the logic governing the RNG in this case. As for why the sub-perfect quality animals are in the game despite their low sale/crafting value, well, it makes sense because it makes the perfect ones rarer and more worthwhile to track down. That said, I do wish the value system were more complex. Having only 3 tiers is too simplistic.

I agree with the rest of your post, especially concerning health & cores. Good write-up.
i can appreciate the justification for the sake of realism but from a gameplay perspective it's frustrating, particularly when trying to hunt the quick and tinier animals because they're hard enough to hunt as is.

It's no so bad for the medium and larger sized animals that tend to travel in packs as more often than not, there will be a perfect pelt in the bunch.

WITHE1982

Oct 28, 2017

I just managed to bag this horse myself last night. The thing to remember is that it isn't just a random spawn. She shows up in pretty much the exact spot every time. Your best bet is to sleep at the hotel in Valentine for the night and return in the morning. If you reach the point at the left of the lake where she is meant to spawn and she isn't there then rinse and repeat. I believe sleeping at the hotel resets the ecosystem/spawns. It doesn't work just sleeping at a camp.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of pelts, where's a good place to get a pig skin outside of a pig farm?

I mean, I could loot a pig farm for a perfect skin (I want the vest at the St Denis trapper) but I wouldn't even know which farms have pigs as I've come across them only once or twice and forgotten which farms they were.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
Tried sleeping, leaving and coming back. No dice, sadly. I'm wondering if I might've hit a bug, but I'll wait for a few missions and come back to know for sure.

Even though I spent a couple hours trying, I don't feel like it was time wasted. Came across a creepy shack with something creepy inside that I won't spoil. But it made me really nervous the whole time I was up there.

You definitely have to leave the area come back after a while. My first few attempts ended in failure because I didn't understand how the prompts worked so she ran off and I gave up. I did reload the file to try again but she never appeared by doing that.

Oct 28, 2017
Rented a room in Strawberry. Couldn't be arsed to walk down the stairs the next morning so decided to hop over the balcony. Accidentally landed on someone's horse. Got off immediately. Some little do-gooder decided to run and tell the police. I'm now a horse robber apparently.

Long story short; all of that blood is on you, Mr. Do-gooder.

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
So at my camp I have an icon saying "bank robbery" and it's white, but when I go to that area there's just a tent with noprompt to start a mission. What am I missing?

Dyergram

Nov 26, 2017
Speaking of pelts, where's a good place to get a pig skin outside of a pig farm?

I mean, I could loot a pig farm for a perfect skin (I want the vest at the St Denis trapper) but I wouldn't even know which farms have pigs as I've come across them only once or twice and forgotten which farms they were.
I feel like there's always pigs on the road between Saint Denis and the camp when your camped at the big house.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Admittedly, I used one of the gold glitches to get me 30 bars of gold. That gets you $15,000 from a fence which will pretty much take you through the whole game.

I did the glitch too, but I still oscillate between 17 and 19k dollars, so even without the glitch you should be alright - I also pimped all my guns and routinely pay bounties you get for certain story missions, so it's not like I'm trying to save money.

The glitch really only helps you early on, after that, the game gives you enough money to do what you want.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If saying "I expect more. It's not as if it's difficult" isn't, on the surface, implying that they're lazy, then I don't know what to tell you.
Nah.

Misjudging the development work isn't the same as calling the devs lazy. The very least you could do was explain to him how hard this would be first than go straight to accuse someone of insulting the developers.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Made it to the epilogue (my goodness is this game lengthy)

There's a few things i'd want to address about the story but don't want to get into heavy spoilers.

Instead, one thing i want to address that i don't really see a lot of people talking about is the redundancy in a lot of the games' systems that i think adds to the clunky unintuitiveness that a lot of people complain about. Some examples:

• Cores & Meters - Cores don't really make much sense in that they feel pretty unnecessary. There really doesn't seem to be any reason as to why more traditional status bars couldn't suffice thus allowing you only to have to focus on one aspect instead of two. This creates an insane level of redundancy with consumables. With the system now, you have 4 types of consumables that you have to manage: Foods that replenish your cores, Tonics that fortify your cores. Tonics that replenish your meters and tonics that fortify your meters. All this overlap seems terribly unnecessary. A more traditional system would allow you to simple use foods to replenish your status bars and have tonics act as fortifiers. That's it. The cores primarily determine the recharge rate of the meters but you can easily have regenerating health, stamina, and deadeye without the use of cores, pretty much like how every other game does regenerating status bars. It's effectively the same system but far more streamlined. This feels like R* trying to fix what isn't broken just as a means to try to differentiate themselves from other games.

• Food Consumption - Speaking of food, the way food is handled in this game makes no sense. You can have food in two different places; On your item wheel as well as in your satchel. The food that's on your item wheel are generally quick bite type of items (fruit, candy, bread, cheese, canned food, etc) that don't instantly max out your cores. At face value this makes sense because the item wheel is meant to be quickly accessible so it's easy to assume these foods are meant to help you when you're in a pinch in a firefight. You can get to it quickly and he eats it quickly. Ok cool. However, the problem is that you can have entire whole meals in your satchel that you can cook up from animals that you hunt and these meals will often time fill up your cores completely. You can access your satchel at anytime with the press (hold) of a button, time slows down (the same way when you use your weapon/item wheel) and you instantly consume these meals in the same fashion you consume the quick bite type of foods. So whats the point in having these two overlapping systems that do the same thing where one is demonstrably better than the other with zero drawbacks? Worst yet, the problem could have been easily rectified by making it so that the bigger meals you make from animals is exclusively stored on your horse. So if your in a firefight and away from your horse, you have to rely on the bite size food that's on your person but then can fully top up your cores once things die down and your back to your horse.

• Masks vs. Bandanas - Like the food consumption, it's two different things that contribute to the same purpose. I don't know why these two things don't occupy the same item wheel slot rather than having it be that you can only access your mask when near your horse.

• Horse Stables - As it stands now, it feels pretty useless to have 4 different horses at your stable for anything beyond cosmetic gratification. There's no reason to rotate horses as they all serve the same exact purpose. Different breeds of horse should have had different gameplay benefits such as the big shire horses being better suited for hunting which grants you an additional spot to store large rolled up pelts
Such a great post. Felt that way while playing the game too.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If anyone has trouble getting legendaries or the Arabian horse to spawn (usually if you cause too many incidents in the area they will disappear for a while) what worked for me is going into a nearby town, punch somebody and surrender when the sheriff comes.

that's worth a couple of days spent in game.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Good lord, I'm so pissed right now. I was reading some random, non gaming related reddit thread, and one of the comments was spoiling what I presume is part of the game's ending.
I'm so close to the end as well...

Sento

Nov 1, 2017
I have tried the method the game says for hunting each animal several times and I always ended up getting 1 or 2 star pelt? why?

Ωλ7XL9

Oct 27, 2017
Was anyone frightened when they randomly stumbled into a house at night which ended up being the aberdeen pig farm house robbery side quest?

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Quick impressions, I'm probably 2-3 hours into the game now, playing on Xbox One X. I turned off HDR and I still have to say the game looks amazing!!!!! I do think some of the faces don't look at good as the environmental scenery but it's still a looker.

When I read impressions of how slow the first few chapters are, I was left wanting to experience it myself, I tend to enjoy a nice slow build up to a story and I really enjoyed the first chapter, I thought it was splendid!!!!

Another big compliant I heard were controls, throughout the first chapter I thought it was fine. It feels like a Rockstar game, this is just how all their games control and I'm okay with it, I will admit because of how real their going with the animation system, there are a ton of controls that don't click so easily. We only have so many button on a controller and it becomes somewhat cumbersome.

I'm on chapter 2 now and I stabbed somebody by accident, wanted to fist fight and I ended up stabbing the guy, there's just so many options things become unclear and confusing but I think the longer I play, hopefully the more natural the controls feel.

Again I'm on chapter 2 now and I think I'm free to do as I want and take missions as I want now, it certainly feels like a Rockstar game at this point. All the talk was how different it is but as of right now I still have icons pointing me to mission givers just like every other Rockstar game (which I'm completely fine with) but a big deal was being made as to how completely different the game is, and at least at this 3 hour mark It feels like a natural evolution of a Rockstar game.

With all that being said, like I mentioned before I'm only 3 hours in and I can see the grandeur of this game, it's a living world that is like no other, it feels truly lived in. And I know as I get deeper into the game I'll see all the cool emergent scenarios everyone is raving about and I can't wait.

I thought God of War was going to be my GOTY, but even just being at the tip of this game, I know I'm in for a treat with story, the emergent scenarios and just the world they've created here.

It will become second nature. What i do recommend is adjusting the controls for shooting and looking straight away.

I used this guide, and after 20 mins of practice, the gunplay feels fantastic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yOZSbDxEaE

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Kinda crazy i am on chapter 4 and this is my map. The whole bottom is still unexplored haha.

ad96501b-c2f7-49df-beaf-b542b91200db_Thumbnail.PNG

BigAT

Oct 30, 2017
Does this guy have a purpose? He just stands there and doesn't do anything for me. Bugged maybe?

DrZi9aZW4AEDTqo.jpg