PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
This gunsmith really does not want to help me. Dude's just ignoring me completely and sweeping up his store. Won't even say a word when I walk in. What a jerk.

Jens1893

Apr 22, 2018
This goddamn game... 50 hours in, still at the beginning of Chapter 3, but it still manages to drop my jaw again and again.

(video contains no spoilers)

The Bayou, especially at night, is definitely scary as hell. Usually I'm like *shrug* whether it's day or night in a game, but here I try to avoid certain parts of the map at night, especially the Bayou. Between the alligators and all the crazy folk there it can be dangerous, especially if you get off the tracks.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Am I missing something or is the bounty system total bullshit?
I got into a fight with some guys who tried to kill me so I killed em back and while i was looting the law men rolled up and opened fire on me while i was trying to hide, so despite the fact that i killed them all and did everything to run away my bounty stays stuck at 130 dollars? What's the point of ever fighting back or running away if you get caught doing something illegal?

It seems designed so that if you fuck up and accidentally loot a body while someone is looking you should just sit there and prepare to eat shit because running or fighting is awful and chasing down witnesses to calm them down doesnt work when the witnesses are the law.

You could defuse the situation with the sheriff. Sometimes he let you go or asks you to surrender. No need to fight back or run away most of the time unless you fire at the lawmen.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I've made it to the Epilogue, a better ending than start. But, the story overall is still lacking.

I said it in the other thread, but Arthur doesn't feel like the main character to the story for most of the game. Instead, it feels as thought Dutch is the central character and Arthur simply the player's window into Dutch. The early chapters, hell the very start of the game, is all framed in ways to give us insight into Dutch. Whereas we are given little with regards to Arthur. We don't know his backstory, what he wants, what's his weakness, what he needs, etc. But, we know all of that about Dutch early on from out interactions with him. It's only when we reach Guarma and when Arthur realizes he's dying that he actually becomes a character on his own with wants and desires and weakness. But, that's so far along that it doesn't justify all those early chapters where he sat around in the background doing nothing and saying yes.

However, even worse, is that the game sort of bongles Dutch's downfall. During the last chapter Dutch abandons John (twice), abandons Arthur, abandons Abigail and Jack, becomes ever paranoid, and demands complete, unquestioning loyalty. Then we hear talk about how Dutch might be revealing who he always was. Yet, this doesn't clash with the guy we were following not 1-2 chapters before. This is the same guy who in Guarma risks his own neck to save Javier. He didn't need to save Javier, they didn't need him to escape. Dutch went back for him because he was still loyal to his crew. The odd thing is that in the Chapter before we're told that Dutch may have abandoned John during the robbery, so it's weird to juxtapose that with the guy saving Javier in the next chapter. Now, at first, this seem to make some sense as Dutch suspected John and Abigial might be working with the Pinkerstons so perhaps that was why he let John be captured. But, the final chapter reveals a man who is not loyal to his crew, so it's weird to have a man risking his life to save Jack, save Javier, who demands that John rescue Michah and Bill early on, who saves Trelawney, who refuses Michah's continual pleas to cut the "weak" elements of the gang away, but then goes crazy and selfish in the final chapter only thinking about himself. Thus, Dutch becomes less of a slow, gradual decline as much as a sudden twist. It's just done poorly, imo.

RDR2's story is basically full of good ideas, executed poorly. It doesn't actually know from the start what kind of story it wants to tell and with who.

Oct 25, 2017
You could defuse the situation with the sheriff. Sometimes he let you go or asks you to surrender. No need to fight back or run away most of the time unless you fire at the lawmen.
I've tried to do that when possible but usually they just go right to shooting at me.
It's kind of annoying but whatever, ultimately it doesnt seem like money matters much anyway unless you want to go heavy into customizing your character. You seem to have in story ways of unlocking the bulk of the equipment required to finish the game.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Charles is honestly the GOAT sidekick.

Sadie is cool and all but something about Charles cool calm and collected manner (and only kills if deserved) it just vibes with what I want my Arthur to be.

Kinda wish the game was about a native american kinda like Gun on the original Xbox.

Silence_and_I

May 7, 2018
Chapter 6 spoilers/question

I just went with Rain Falls and recovered the pipe, about how many hours do I have left?
I'm going to be out of town tomorrow until about Sunday, trying to tell if I can wrap it up tonight or tomorrow morning.

you have 3-4 hours left excluding Epilogue which is nearly 6 hours long

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I started that mission super early on because I was excited to de-fog the map as soon as possible and I triggered that mission in the context of doing so. I didn't bother actually doing anything with it until way later in the game though. So I'm flipping through the journal today, which I have not been doing at all, and Arthur mentions meeting the people. I expected him to have the conclusion there as well. But he doesn't actually write about that for another 80+ pages because I didn't complete it then. It tracks stuff specific to the order you actually do things so everybody is going to have a different journal as they play through the game. Such an incredible touch. I just loved all the pages in the middle where I stopped caring about missions for a bit to go scan a bunch of wildlife and plants so I ended up with a few pages in a row with nothing but sketches. Arthur's quite the artist.

Incidentally, absolutely read the journal. Not only does it provide additional backstory about the opening that is hinted at during the game, but the contextual stuff and Arthur's feelings help flesh out the story and characters even further. I feel foolish for not doing it from the get-go.

Is there any way to enable Arthur's voice when reading things like his journal?

Oct 29, 2017
Charles is honestly the GOAT sidekick.

Sadie is cool and all but something about Charles cool calm and collected manner (and only kills if deserved) it just vibes with what I want my Arthur to be.

Kinda wish the game was about a native american kinda like Gun on the original Xbox.

He tackled Micah at one point in the camp. Hes fuckin awesome

Superman2x7

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Quick impressions, I'm probably 2-3 hours into the game now, playing on Xbox One X. I turned off HDR and I still have to say the game looks amazing!!!!! I do think some of the faces don't look at good as the environmental scenery but it's still a looker.

When I read impressions of how slow the first few chapters are, I was left wanting to experience it myself, I tend to enjoy a nice slow build up to a story and I really enjoyed the first chapter, I thought it was splendid!!!!

Another big compliant I heard were controls, throughout the first chapter I thought it was fine. It feels like a Rockstar game, this is just how all their games control and I'm okay with it, I will admit because of how real their going with the animation system, there are a ton of controls that don't click so easily. We only have so many button on a controller and it becomes somewhat cumbersome.

I'm on chapter 2 now and I stabbed somebody by accident, wanted to fist fight and I ended up stabbing the guy, there's just so many options things become unclear and confusing but I think the longer I play, hopefully the more natural the controls feel.

Again I'm on chapter 2 now and I think I'm free to do as I want and take missions as I want now, it certainly feels like a Rockstar game at this point. All the talk was how different it is but as of right now I still have icons pointing me to mission givers just like every other Rockstar game (which I'm completely fine with) but a big deal was being made as to how completely different the game is, and at least at this 3 hour mark It feels like a natural evolution of a Rockstar game.

With all that being said, like I mentioned before I'm only 3 hours in and I can see the grandeur of this game, it's a living world that is like no other, it feels truly lived in. And I know as I get deeper into the game I'll see all the cool emergent scenarios everyone is raving about and I can't wait.

I thought God of War was going to be my GOTY, but even just being at the tip of this game, I know I'm in for a treat with story, the emergent scenarios and just the world they've created here.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
O, Brother stranger mission conclusion:

Fuck your two dollars, assholes.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I feel like each new area I go to is more visually stunning than the last. I keep feeling like "well, they won't top that vista from your camp," and then I see Saint Denis. Or I think, Jesus, Cotorra Springs is breathtaking, and then I walk around the corner and catch Donner Falls. It's one sensational vista after another seemingly anywhere you decide to go. They even make grimy industrial sludge look great. The oil slicks on the water around Annesburg? My God. Rockstar games generally haven't been the most visually stunning, but I can honestly say I have never been more impressed by a game's visuals. This is going to look insane on PC.

Cth

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I've got a request if anyone can help out..

I want a gif of the loading icon (the revolver cylinder )

Or if you can point to a youtube video with it I can try to extract it myself.

Thanks!

Nose Master

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh. For all of the realism horseshit you have to shovel through in this game, some of the limitations are incredibly annoying. I'm trying to swim to the landmass Blackwater is on. Got a few islands in, and ran out of stamina items. Made a camp to make more, instantly teleported to the opposite side of the shore, where I started. That + wagons / bodies disappearing almost instantly once you turn your back on them is infuriating. Not to mention the "bump into any NPC slightly and you get a $5 bounty and the entire town opens fire on you" bullshit.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I once fought some bounty hunters and had the bodies of 80% of them despawn after I looted the first guy.

MentalZer0

Oct 27, 2017
nice i wanna do that too, i'm currently at 86% though. does it need to play the game from the beginning or you can get all the trophies in one run?

There's 4 missable trophies. I got all of them in one playthrough tho. The platinum is not that easy... you need to complete all the challenges and there's a quest that can take 8-10 hours alone to finish (lucky based). I'm going for platinum no matter what :)

chocolate

Feb 28, 2018
well then for me the best horse of the game was Buell (Hamish Sinclair'' horse). it's gold coated and has blue eyes, it's also a male horse).

That horse is absolutely gorgeous. Is it one of a kind? If it is, I'm taking it for sure.

That horse and the Blond Chestnut Belgian are majestic. Love that kind of colour on horses.

chocolate

Feb 28, 2018
It was part of a mission and the actual fishing part was at least 5 minutes of just rotating the fucking thumbstick. Its easy, but after the first two minutes, shit kinda sucks lol. Had to walk away and grab a beer after that to give my thumb a break.

Ah I know the mission you're talking about.

is that the last mission for that guy? If so, I really want to take his horse lol

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck this game sometimes. Ran into
guy with my horse and killed him, surrendered to the law, got stuck in an infinite loading screen and lost 20 minutes of progress.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Fucking Rhodes. This is so stupid. I've done two quests and completely left town and come back. This fucking asshole gunsmith is still sweeping. Why the hell isn't he letting me buy anything?

Nose Master

Oct 27, 2017
Welp, nevermind. Took a boat into the restricted area and just immediately got cast into the sea and drowned, stamina be damned. A+.

JK-Money

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Question, I know when you randomly walking etc if you want to get the drop on someone you can quick draw like dueling and kill a few people. You slowly push in R2 to do it. Does anyone know if this is possible on ps4 when you switch to alternate fps setting where you shoot and aim with L1/R1? Because you cant push in R1 slowly obviously.
Bump if anyone on ps4 knows

Mr X

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia / US
Gambler 8 challenge bugged?

Won 3 hands now hitting 3 or more times at blackjack and the counter still showing 0/3.

NM - figured it out, what a terrible challenge.

Last edited: