• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you mods, we can get back to 4k textures and performance on Xbox X hopefully.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Again: installation space has nothing to do with the size of the file. It means you need of 107GB to install the game doesn't means the file size will be the same.

I accept that theory - apart from the fact that the PS4 installation space is 99GB plus 50GB for the installation process.

Why wouldn't they quote it in the same way from Xbox?

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I know this is probably not a popular opinion, but I think they should offer preloads even for physical releases (preload code at purchase, for example).
Without getting into physical vs. digital, I don't think this would hurt anyone, but could be a benefit to many.
Especially if things like 4k texture packs are first day downloads.
I agree. In fact we should be able preload any unbought game and unlock its license either through a game disc or digital purchase.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
88 GB is the size of the file. 107 GB is the free space required for the installation. Two different things in theory. For example ps4 digitally requires 150 GB of free space but just 90GB for the disc.
I think Ps4 requires 50GB free when installing, but the final occupied size is the same 99GB whether you download it or install from disc

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I accept that theory - apart from the fact that the PS4 installation space is 99GB plus 50GB for the installation process.

Why wouldn't they quote it in the same way from Xbox?
The file size of the ps4 is not 99GB. I heard in the other thread it's 89-92 in some countries and 98 just in europe if I'm not wrong. By the way ps4 has a particular method of installation that why specified that. Honestly I don't see any other explanation. Probably the xbox requires an extra space for the decompression of file? Just my guess.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The size of the ps4 is not 99GB. I heard it's 92 and 98 in europe if I'm not wrong. By the way ps4 has a particular method of installation that why specified that. Honestly I don't see any other explanation.

But that 98 is closer to the 99Gb required - and accounts I assume for save files.

The 88-107 is a bigger discrepancy - is there still a patch to come from Xbox?

Footos22

Oct 25, 2017
The file size of the ps4 is not 99GB. I heard in the other thread it's 89-92 in some countries and 98 just in europe if I'm not wrong. By the way ps4 has a particular method of installation that why specified that. Honestly I don't see any other explanation. Probably the xbox requires an extra space for the decompression of file? Just my guess.

The complete file size after it downloaded was 98.15gb on ps4 in Europe

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
But that 98 is closer to the 99Gb required - and accounts I assume for save files.

The 88-107 is a bigger discrepancy - is there still a patch to come from Xbox?
Again R never said the file size is 107GB in their site. I don't know how to explain you better. ..and said that why even the base xbox one should required the same space of the installation of Xbone one X? It's a 4k texture pack. They should have mentioned 107GB it's only required for the xbox one X, no?

MetsFanAtShea

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Oh wow. It would be hilarious because someone here think otherwise and R hasn't provide any evidence about it? What exactly will be hilarious? It's hilarious a more expensive younger console can provide better graphic? I really don't get it. It seems just the normality to me.

Hilarious in that people like you come off defensive. Look at how you pull an excuse that the X is more powerful,like duh,why are you explaining? We already knew this but for some reason you're agitated because of a possible 4K texture pack.
Like I said,hilarious. And its great for gaming when the more more powerful console is used to its fullest.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Again R never said the file size is 107GB in their site. I don't know how to explain you better. ..and said that why even the base xbox one should required the same extra space of the Xbone one X? They should have mentioned the xbox one X no?

I'm not talking about the X or texture packs - I'm merely questioning the discrepancy in sizes R* quote. You say its because installation space is not the same as file size. Which is reasonable - but they quote the installation space sepearely for PS4 yet not for Xbox. And the discrepancy between the two seems somewhat unexplained. I'm merely wondering if there is a further day 1 patch to hit Xbox still going through certification - or not?

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Hilarious in that people like you come off defensive. Look at how you pull an excuse that the X is more powerful,like duh,why are you explaining? We already knew this but for some reason you're agitated because of a possible 4K texture pack.
Like I said,hilarious. And its great for gaming when the more more powerful console is used to its fullest.
:/ What exactly is hilarious if the Xbone will have a 4k texture? If not just to troll who has the weaker console? You should choice better your words that's just what I said. And what exactly is defensive about to say the X is more powerful with a reason and people shouldn't troll about it? It's just a common logic and part of the discussion.

Last edited:

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Again R never said the file size is 107GB in their site. I don't know how to explain you better. ..and said that why even the base xbox one should required the same space of the installation of Xbone one X? It's a 4k texture pack. They should have mentioned 107GB it's only required for the xbox one X, no?
Well, you can download the texture pack even from a regular xbone/S. MS allows this so you can preload the X version before replacing the console, or for people with access to multiple consoles to take their installs to all of them without issues

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I'm not talking about the X or texture packs - I'm merely questioning the discrepancy in sizes R* quote. You say its because installation space is not the same as file size. Which is reasonable - but they quote the installation space sepearely for PS4 yet not for Xbox. And the discrepancy between the two seems somewhat unexplained. I'm merely wondering if there is a further day 1 patch to hit Xbox still going through certification - or not?
I don't exclude anything but again the xbox one base shouldn't required 107GB for installation if it's the size of the file with the 4k texture. Would be strange. The R site would have specified if it was just for the X sku.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Because both consoles install games differently. PS4 requires an extra 50GB during the install process (likely because it's a multi disc game, I would guess it copies the content of the first disc, than creates a new 100GB file that merges the first and second disc and then erase the first disc data), but the final installed size is not different.

The final size IIRC is about 10gb bigger on xbone

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Because both consoles install games differently. PS4 requires an extra 50GB during the install process (likely because it's a multi disc game, I would guess it copies the content of the first disc, than creates a new 100GB file that merges the first and second disc and then erase the first disc data), but the final installed size is not different.

I think he knows that. He's asking why the final install size for PS4 is 98GB, while the final install size for X1 will seemingly be 107GB?

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I think he knows that. He's asking why the final install size for PS4 is 98GB, while the final install size for X1 will seemingly be 107GB?

I'm asking whether the 88GB I have downloaded for my X is now complete or whether the size will grow with a further patch? Merely because I want to understand what I have left to download if anything?

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
No one will know if this is true until after release, and then it may takea digital foundry. I personally don't think it's going to have anything but a resolution difference and maybe AF.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I'm asking whether the 88GB I have downloaded for my X is now complete or whether the size will grow with a further patch? Merely because I want to understand what I have left to download if anything?
You haven't left anything behind. But of course more patches in the future which will change the size of the file, are not exclude.

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Once and for all :

"Applied: Xbox-Scorpio"
"Available: Xbox-Scorpio"

Those mean that the game has a dedicated assets pack for the X, it does not tell if it's textures or pre-rendered videos.
"Applied" means it's installed (forced on X, optional on S but will only be used on X).

sersteven

Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia
Getting it for PS4 Pro since I don't have an X, just a regular old XBONE, but glad for the X1X dudes on here. That console is a beast and its good to see the benefits get pushed to its fullest on marquee games like this.

Hitokiri03

Oct 25, 2017
Twenty one pages just talking about a high texture patch for the X wow and people say that the Xbox community here is small :P

Oct 26, 2017
But again, shouldn't the downloaded game be larger than 88GB and definitely at least larger than the PS4 size? A assets pack will require space but it sure doesn't seem like it.

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But again, shouldn't the downloaded game be larger than 88GB and definitely at least larger than the PS4 size? A assets pack will require space but it sure doesn't seem like it.
Consoles can have different compression ratio if devs use platform specific formats (mostly for textures, audio and videos).
So depending on what the devs use, the size can be different and the quality be the exact same (taking resolution appart).

Also I think the Xbox One has dedicated hardware made to decompress data without using the CPU or something like that.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Isn't it more likely that the PS4 and X1 use different data compression schemes for installation packages?

Oct 26, 2017
Consoles can have different compression ratio if devs use platform specific formats (mostly for textures, audio and videos).
So depending on what the devs use, the size can be different and the quality be the exact same (taking resolution appart).

Also I think the Xbox One has dedicated hardware made to decompress data without using the CPU or something like that.

Hmmm I see. So it's possible other multiplatform games are like this too? Was it the case for GTA V?

Badcoo

May 9, 2018
I agree. In fact we should be able preload any unbought game and unlock its license either through a game disc or digital purchase.

You're risking putting more load in your servers on the "chance" that someone will buy the game. When that load could actually be used by customers who have actually bought the game. Even if there's some kind of "pre-load key" for physical releases, there would be a whole other layer of authentication (which shouldn't be difficult tbh, but it's still there). And there's the open risk of someone returning the game.

I do think it's a great idea for the consumer, though. I just don't see it as a smart technical decision.

DarkCloud12X

Oct 27, 2017

The preload on Xbox One X is 88 gigs and an additional 20 gigs of reserved space on your internal drive. The extra space on the PS4 is likely the same thing only it's baked into the games filesize directly.

I actually couldn't even begin downloading the game to my external drive till i freed up some room on my internal drive.

SaiyanRaoh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Anyone else here thinking about or have bought both versions. I have the Pro and the X. I can't be the only one. I historically double and even triple dip on games I like....why not do it launch day!?

JaggedSac

Oct 25, 2017
Burbs of Atlanta
The preload on Xbox One X is 88 gigs and an additional 20 gigs of reserved space on your internal drive. The extra space on the PS4 is likely the same thing only it's baked into the games filesize directly.

I actually couldn't even begin downloading the game to my external drive till i freed up some room on my internal drive.

Wait, games can reserve space on multiple hard drives on Xbox?