Votes: 122 78.7%

• Total voters

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017

Oscillator

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Canada
This was never going to work for the original fan base. It's a weird little moment in time, polished through the lens of nostalgia, and its original raison d'etre,to use advanced CG to animate a story about computers, is hokey now, and CG is trivial and expected.

So maybe it will work for the new audience.

Saying that ReBoot was only about the novelty of the CGI is doing a disservice to the unique designs and solid writing of the original.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Saying that ReBoot was only about the novelty of the CGI is doing a disservice to the unique designs and solid writing of the original.

I didn't say that though. I listed two aspects that have evaporated. Tron Legacy suffered from the loss of that almost magical mystery of computing as a universe.

I'm not disputing that people loved the characters and setting, I'm suggesting that new viewers may lack some of that context.

Saving Private Ryan would be pretty dull if it were the same story but it was bankers searching for a hedge fund manager in recession hit Europe.

Context provides a huge chunk of the atmosphere and immersion.

Last edited:

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
So this came out last night.

I'm about four episodes in... and it's getting... better.

The trailer was made up entirely of the pilot episode which was really fucking horrible. But the show is starting to find its legs as it progresses.

Megabyte's design sucks (the OG one is there for a split second before the hacker "upgrades" him), but his voice is pretty spot on. It kind of drops in and out of a really good impression of the original actor, but as the series progresses it gets much more stable and recognizable.

Likewise everything with the hacker guy is pretty bad (although megabyte hates him and it's a pretty hilarious meta commentary as you kind of sympathize with megabyte in his discomptemt), but the rest has started to grow on me.

VERA starts out pretty cringy in the first episode to becoming basically Janet from The Good Place, and she offers some really good comic relief.

The kid actors are a bit stiff, but it is a kids show.

There are plenty of connnections and references to the original show too, so it's neat when they show up.

It's Power Rangers meets Degrassi with a hint of Tron, and enough OG reboot to make it watchable.

Don't let the trailer and the first two episodes break you, it gets better.... I was ready to write this off entirely.

OP
OP
Enzom21

Enzom21

Oct 25, 2017

The trailer was made up entirely of the pilot episode which was really fucking horrible. But the show is starting to find its legs as it progresses.

Megabyte's design sucks (the OG one is there for a split second before the hacker "upgrades" him), but his voice is pretty spot on. It kind of drops in and out of a really good impression of the original actor, but as the series progresses it gets much more stable and recognizable.

Likewise everything with the hacker guy is pretty bad (although megabyte hates him and it's a pretty hilarious meta commentary as you kind of sympathize with megabyte in his discomptemt), but the rest has started to grow on me.

VERA starts out pretty cringy in the first episode to becoming basically Janet from The Good Place, and she offers some really good comic relief.

There are plenty of connnections and references to the original show too, so it's neat when they show up.

It's Power Rangers meets Degrassi with a hint of Tron, and enough OG reboot to make it watchable.

Don't let the trailer and the first two episodes break you, it gets better.... I was ready to write this off entirely.
But is it ReBoot?

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Yeah. Megabyte is oddly the best part about this. Direct connection to the past and he is going against everything "new" in this show. On purpose.

The guardian kids are fine, but megabyte is consistently awesome, and the voice actor does a great impression. There's only a couple times it feels off but it's very minimal.

Once you get passed the first two episodes it gets better with each episode. And VERA is the best part of the live action portion of the show, even though I hated her in episode 1.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I checked netflix and then I remembered that ytv has exclusivity here. Only interested in seeing the episode with Bob, Dot and Enzo.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
Welp, I'm heading in... am I about to eat crow on this?

edit: Wait, Canada doesn't get this? What on earth?!

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How does a Canadian show get broadcast AFTER the rest of the world gets in on Netflix?
edit: Wait, Canada doesn't get this? What on earth?!
The show was apparently made super-cheap using Rainmaker and YTV's money, with an "If you build it, they will come" mentality towards getting the show sold to someone in the States (because nobody except YTV was willing to bite on ReBoot sight-unseen, in any form).

Rainmaker managed to get Netflix to bite on it in America. It's not on Netflix in Canada, either because of the wall that exists between Netflix USA and Netflix Canada, or because YTV has an exclusivity on the show in Canada. Or both.

YTV won't be airing the show until fall (I think they said fall). Netflix either asked to get it first and YTV didn't mind, or Netflix asked to get it first and Rainmaker screwed YTV, or Netflix didn't ask for anything and YTV would prefer to air the show in the fall for some reason.

Apparently the show was declared a success as soon as Netflix bit (yay for low budgets and even lower expectations), and a second season of the show has already been greenlit.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
I've only just started the first episode and I'm cringing already at the character introductions.

"A fabric of cyberspace" what the fuck is that even supposed to mean? The writing is as bad as the CG.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I've only just started the first episode and I'm cringing already at the character introductions.

"A fabric of cyberspace" what the fuck is that even supposed to mean? The writing is as bad as the CG.

First two episodes are ROUGH.

I'm just starting on episode 10 now. This is the episode with bob and co, and also the finale.

Episode 9 has this... horrible plotline

YyHnxcc.jpg

The hacker, known as "the sourceror" (spelling intentional?) is the worst part of this show by far.

Oct 25, 2017
First virtual scene,
"That some 90's era Jonny Quest, Beatwars, Reboot CG right there"

The "sleekness" and color pallet is 100% Toonami though
latest

Oct 25, 2017
Konoha
The premise of this show reminded me of Code Lyoko. I mean going into the internet and fighting "monsters". If you don't know what Code Lyoko is your too young for me.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Oh Megabyte, my sweet prince, what have they done to you?

Ok, I really didn't need the toilet phone scene.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The season finale is the best episode of the show by far. Followed closely by the episode where Vera experiments with emotions.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Was my thought. This is really Code Lyoko's premise down to the girl in the machine.
This. LOL
Ep 9/10 I believe. Haven't gotten there yet but I'm hoping that means they ... reboot the show for season 2 with more of the classic characters.
Thanks.

Yeah. Megabyte is oddly the best part about this. Direct connection to the past and he is going against everything "new" in this show. On purpose.

The guardian kids are fine, but megabyte is consistently awesome, and the voice actor does a great impression. There's only a couple times it feels off but it's very minimal.

Once you get passed the first two episodes it gets better with each episode. And VERA is the best part of the live action portion of the show, even though I hated her in episode 1.
Interesting. Was going to have to watch it anyway so this is good to hear, also that you thought they did Vera well since that role has usually been some of the most fun to watch in similar shows.

Just in here to say this thread reminded me of Shadow Raiders (which I think had the same character designer as ReBoot?)

Oh I remember that show.

Last edited:

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Just watched a few eps. It's bad, but similar to Power Rangers cheese (and yet, more serious than PR), so it's bearable. The budget is small, so the budget did get cut with Megabyte, especially when you look at his S4 CG detail. Villian is totally like Malcom from Superhuman Samurai Syber Squad, with the dark hacker that partners with a virus.

I'll stick through till the end... see how much it tries to tie into the original series.

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who remembers loving the original but doesn't remember any details,
After about 3 episodes the actual cg stuff is enjoyable enough, hate the live action though.

Lee Chaolan

Oct 25, 2017

So when does Servo jump in and start fighting Kilokahn?

/s

It gives major vibes of Superhuman Samurai. A fun show when I as a kid, but so meh now. lol.

Loved the original Reboot. May give this a chance since you say it gets a little better.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
You can also tell this was made for tv. Lots of transitional logo eye catches. Definitely with YTV ii mind.

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
That looks awful, it barely has anything to do with the original show at all. The only recognizable face is Megabyte.