• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
From MCV Develop:
Independent development studio Rebellion has acquired The Bitmap Brothers for an undisclosed sum.

The Bitmap Brothers created a number of classic games in the 1980s and 90s, including titles such as Xenon, Z: Steel Soldiers, Speedball and Chaos Engine. Rebellion says it "plans to bring classic The Bitmap Brothers games to new platforms, and going forward to create new titles based on its beloved licenses".

"We're delighted with the addition of The Bitmap Brothers to the ever-growing Rebellion portfolio," said Rebellion CEO and co-founder Jason Kingsley OBE. "The Bitmap Brothers are renowned for making great games and for bringing gaming into the mainstream with inimitable style. We've known Mike Montgomery for many years and we're honoured by the faith and trust that he has shown in us by passing on the torch. We'll strive to be vigilant custodians of one of gaming's great names."

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Nice. A port of GODS please on all consoles and PC would be very much appreciated.

Sincerely,

Everyone.

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
Finally:

96250-magic-pockets-dos-front-cover.jpg

Graefellsom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Im always up for more speedball 2. Though the last remake i played of it was awful. Not even close to the feeling of the one I played on dos shell. It felt so good when the game got fast and I could wipe the floor with formerly terrifying teams like Fatal Justice.

i will admit to reloading saves when one got to the first division so i wasn't playing one of the better teams

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
I can still remember a review of Speedball 2 back in my Amiga days and the reviewer said something along the lines of "..............and someone shouting out "ice cream" as a joke." I was genuinely surprised that it didn't occur to them that it was actually supposed to be a vendor selling ice creams to the crowd!

Online Chaos Engine would be nice too.

MajorBritten

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Big fan of Rebellion but I'll believe them making new games with these IPs when I see it, theyve owned 2000AD for years and have wasted the potential of that with only making one console Judge Dredd game.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Excellent, lot of great ips that have been poorly looked after there. Just look at that garbo speedball hd game

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Are Rebellion and Sumo in a race to add the most UK studios to their arsenal to the amazement of Era who mostly don't play games made by either studio and amazed they're still in business?

Turrican3

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Wow, out of nowhere.

Chaos Engine and Speedball 2 were fine.
Everything else that I can remember definitely needed some tweaking to say the least.

Let's see what they can do.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
The Bitmap Brothers were a massive part of my childhood. I hope these games can now be done the justice they deserve. Gods Remastered was a nice effort, but it felt like it came from someone who didn't really understand the aesthetic at all. Magic Pockets, Speedball 2, Xenon 1 and 2... all good.

Sams88

Oct 9, 2019
Amiga Collection on PS4 please.

In the UK/EU I'm sure they're get decent sales for nostalgia value alone. Add nice artwork, maybe some old articles/reviews. It'd be a very nice purchase.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Amiga Collection on PS4 please.

In the UK/EU I'm sure they're get decent sales for nostalgia value alone. Add nice artwork, maybe some old articles/reviews. It'd be a very nice purchase.

Absolutely. Even if a collection on PC would be better, you could easily get a collection of games that used the joystick for PS4/Xbox/Switch.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
I need an Amiga BB collection stat

Give me Xenon, Xenon 2, Speedball, Speedball 2, Gods, Cadaver and Lost Levels, Magic Pockets, The Chaos Engine and The Chaos Engine 2!

They can leave Z alone :p

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Xenon 2 was BB? Add that to Chaos Engine and Speedball 2 as things I'd be curious about playing again, with shiny new grafix.

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
OMGGGGGG I LOVED Z!

Bring it back, please

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
OMGGGGGG I LOVED Z!

Bring it back, please
Yeah but they would need to change a few things

Starting with « Commander Zod » right there if they don't want Warner to sue :p which would mean rerendering parts of the game and redoing text/voice overs.

Or DC will play along and let them have their various references :p

I met de Bitmap Brothers during a Paris videogames show back in 1991 a few months before Magic Pockets dropped. I play tested the ST version and those guys were lots of fun and accomodated by broken french tainted english with their english tainted french