• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
It's easy yeah, there isn't as many parts as you might think.

Watch a Youtube video or get a friend who's done it before with you for the first time.

The hardest part is always mounting the CPU cooler on to the botherboard though.

It's a bitch for your back though so be sure to have it on a good level.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
It ain't worth the $50 savings you get for building yourself
Is that how much it costs?

I would say, though, that if you can face the idea of doing this... building will teach you some skills that will allow you to potentially troubleshoot a host of future issues yourself. Also if you want to upgrade components it will teach you skills that will make installing them yourself much easier. System maintenance like dusting, reapplying thermal paste over time, etc..

So I think it is definitely worth it if you can face it.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
I literally just built my first PC in 20 years last week and it was so easy compared to back then. Use pcpartpikcers like everyone else said but I would just always go for a more powerful PSU than the recommended ones from the guides. The algorithm for power consumption in that site is not quite correct and I had to buy a second PSU in the end. Apart from that: piece of cake.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Not hard, just slightly more time consuming. Can you fuck it up? Yes. Will you fuck it up if you watch a couple of videos/read about your parts? Probably not! Go for it and enjoy having a lean and powerful machine.

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
It ain't worth the $50 savings you get for building yourself
You have complete freedom to choose whatever parts you like though, which you typically don't have when buying a pre-built system, even when they do give you the option to choose certain parts. That also impacts how much money you can save too.

Edit: Cases, in particular, can vary widely in quality. I much prefer to pick my own. The white Lian Li PC-O11DW case for my latest build is probably the best case I've ever owned. I may not have had the option to pick that if going with a pre-built system.

Last edited:

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
Is that how much it costs?

I would say, though, that if you can face the idea of doing this... building will teach you some skills that will allow you to potentially troubleshoot a host of future issues yourself. Also if you want to upgrade components it will teach you skills that will make installing them yourself much easier. System maintenance like dusting, reapplying thermal paste over time, etc..

So I think it is definitely worth it if you can face it.
Idk man. Maybe if you have all of discord helping you but "learning how to use thermal paste" may mean breaking your $2k rig. To me, that isn't worth it

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Idk man. Maybe if you have all of discord helping you but "learning how to use thermal paste" may mean breaking your $2k rig. To me, that isn't worth it
The point is, if you can face learning to build in the first place, stuff like that becomes much easier to manage. The skills you will learn by building are very useful.

First post takes it.

This is exactly how I describe it to people.
And, as reasoned above, it's a poor analogy.

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly even that isn't hard anymore. Most CPU coolers come with the thermal paste (the only part people historically ever really messed up) pre-applied these days. Just gotta have a somewhat steady hand. Peel paste cover, press down, screw down, done.
I guess I've been lucky with my Hyper 212 cooler across my 2 builds (or I forgot how bad it was lol).

But the anxiety of bending the pins on the CPU/motherboard is what still gets me.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
The point is, if you can face learning to build in the first place, stuff like that becomes much easier to manage. The skills you will learn by building are very useful.

And, as reasoned above, it's a poor analogy.
I hate that argument. You're right. It's true. If you fail, you learn, but not all the time. Sometimes you just forget something you already knew. Maybe you thought you could avoid static by touching a lamp but that ended up not being enough and now your i7 is fried.

and to those people who are like, just watch a YouTube video - theydon't do a good job. Honestly, almost every one I've ever watched cuts away when you plug in the cords.They don't show nearly enough. I still can't figure out how to put in a processor after 75 videos. Everyone of them is like lol it's so easy, just avoid static electricity and gently place it on top of the little square on the mobo. But at what angle? What happens when it doesn't just click? How much force do I apply? do I slide the processor until it hits the grooves it needs to hit or will that damage it? How can I be 100% sure I have no static electricity? How much money do I have to spend to make sure?

it seems disengenuous to me to say hey watch a yt vid it's as easy as picking your nose

m29a

Oct 25, 2017
Relatively easy. Helps a lot to watch build videos on youtube. As someone who is generally pretty anxious, it was a bit stressful to install the CPU and a third party cooler. Otherwise it was okay and not as bad as I expected, and of course felt incredible when it powered on the first time.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
I built my first PC 9 years ago. I ordered a "barebones" kit off Tiger Direct, and slotted some really cheap GPU into it.
Prior to that my "building" experience included taking apart my Toshiba laptop with a pair of precision screwdrivers to clean out the dust; and watching someone assemble our family PC... a decade earlier.

I've been swapping parts in and out of that initial build (still using that 9 year old case, lol) ever since. Basically, as long as you read the instructions that come with the motherboard, you'll be fine. There's a step-by-step guide there how things need to be attached and where.

PC Part Picker is great for making sure your build will all function together (I.e, the PSU is powerful enough to handle all parts, the motherboard BIOS is up-to-date and will recognize the CPU without flashing, etc.

Only really tricky part for the beginner's would be cable management, but that just takes common sense to tuck them out of the way of moving parts and to maximize air flow.

Good luck, and don't be afraid to ask the community for help.

Kanann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Write the spec and go to pc building shop is better for me.

They handle wire and such like a pro, neat and clean more than I do it myself.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
Not hard at all. I did mine just by looking at a yt video, and asking questions when I had doubts. And I had no experience doing it before. Also, it's a really fun learning experience.

I'd like to do another one on a cheap($300)budget.

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
Most here handled what I'd recommend, the only advice I can give is keep a close eye on your case connectors to the motherboard. I just built a new one last week, and thought I had a bad Mobo. I used a pair of pliers to short the connectors on the Mobo to make sure it could boot and it did. Ended up being the positive wire on the case power button wasn't seated all the way on the connector.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
The hardest part is screwing the little screws without them falling and going behind the mother board. And if you use a magnetic screw driver, then that part is not hard at all.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
I guess I've been lucky with my Hyper 212 cooler across my 2 builds (or I forgot how bad it was lol).

But the anxiety of bending the pins on the CPU/motherboard is what still gets me.
This every time.
"Am I using too much force? This shouldn't require that much force to clamp down... Help!"
Five seconds later:
"It worked."

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
okay you know what? this video made me realize that it isn't easy.

or it is, but there are a lot of basics that can lead to unintended mistakes due to sheer ignorance.

edit: this is very hard to watch.
Yup, this is closer to the truth I've found.

The obvious things aren't hard by any means. As many have said, it's basically high tech Lego. But there are many small details which can catch people off.

Someone building for the first time should slow down, watch a good guide (ie, not that famous Verge video), and keep an eye on the instruction manuals. Then they will be fine.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
As long as you don't screw the motherboard in first or wear all wool clothes and roll around on a carpet beforehand, it's pretty much fool proof.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
It's really really easy. Choosing parts is the hardest part. I was terrified before building mine, but the process was very easy.

Rytheran

Oct 27, 2017
Just outside Holtburg
I built my first computer last year and honestly it was pretty easy, though anxiety inducing. I found a video of a similar build and kept it playing while I put mine together. The hardest part was the cables for my case buttons and LEDs didn't match the ones in their case, so I had to look into that and which pins to put them on, but it worked out in the end. I did screw up one thing a bit: there are little hooks on the IO shield that didn't quite align properly (probably because I didn't even realize they were there) and I ended up having to cut one off that was over the HDMI port because by that point the whole thing was together and running and I wasn't taking it back apart.

Though if I had to do it all over again I would definitely not get a micro atx motherboard. Just so little space to work with.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
I am a self admitted not so smart person in my 30s and i am able to build a pc when i was 14 in 1996 when the internet barely function as knowledge base.

If an idiot like me can figure it out then in the blind, u can definitely do it now with so many online resources.

Ramble

Sep 21, 2019
If you can successfully assemble a modern tv setup with various consoles, a sound system, cable box, and so on you can assemble a computer.

There are a few things that you absolutely should watch a guide for, like the correct amount and application of thermal paste, but for the most part it is simple.

Where you may run into trouble is if it doesn't boot properly. Figuring out what is wrong and how to fix it can be a challenge. Occasionally you will have a part come DOA. I've been building PCs for over 20 years now, built dozens of computers for family and friends, and a handful of times I've had a DOA part.

Do you know anyone in your personal life that has built a computer that could help you?

Teddie28

Nov 2, 2017
My only advice would be to buy a heat sink that screws in, and don't use one that clips in. The clip in ones are only an exercise in frustration, at least for me.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
I hate that argument. You're right. It's true. If you fail, you learn, but not all the time. Sometimes you just forget something you already knew. Maybe you thought you could avoid static by touching a lamp but that ended up not being enough and now your i7 is fried.

and to those people who are like, just watch a YouTube video - theydon't do a good job. Honestly, almost every one I've ever watched cuts away when you plug in the cords.They don't show nearly enough. I still can't figure out how to put in a processor after 75 videos. Everyone of them is like lol it's so easy, just avoid static electricity and gently place it on top of the little square on the mobo. But at what angle? What happens when it doesn't just click? How much force do I apply? do I slide the processor until it hits the grooves it needs to hit or will that damage it? How can I be 100% sure I have no static electricity? How much money do I have to spend to make sure?

it seems disengenuous to me to say hey watch a yt vid it's as easy as picking your nose

I've found videos to be really usefull, If you are a first timer, there's videos specifically geared towards that.

Cabling is very motherboard specific but there is the manual for that and a second, motherboard specific tutorial can help too.

I don't think it's easy doing it the first time. You need to research a bit and it'll take a while. There's also anxiety because those parts are expensive.

But it do think it's something everyone can do if they have the patience to try. It'll also help with having a better understanding of your PC, which helps with troubleshooting and maintenance in the future.

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
lol @ comparing this to lego

you buy a graphics card and it simply won't fit in properly, so you kinda have to fixate it the way it is.
power cables that just won't come off. i love the mainboard power cable. my fingers always feel sore when I'm done. just like lego

"oops, did I just break that little lever on the PCIe slot??"
"damn, I can't reach the SATA port! is it even the right number!!!"

then when it's done you boot it up, but still have to do a bios update on this mainboard with the newest of chipsets for inexplicable reasons
you were already close to giving up and sending it back, because you thought it was faulty

you also have to pick the right parts in ways that you don't even know yet. later you will realize your mistake and curse the day you bought that specific piece

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not that bad. If you buy compatible components (use a website like partpicker and it'll help make sure you don't buy the wrong things) it's mostly just a matter of plugging things in and turning it on. There can sometimes be a tricky part depending on what you're doing but if you can follow basic instructions you should be able to do it.

If a certain part seems a bit scary (like seating the CPU) just watch a youtube video first. It's really not that bad.

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I just built mine in January. Took me about 6 hours but that's because I started doing it really late at night and wasn't thinking straight. Got stuck on stupid things for way too long lol.

It isn't bad at all though now that I look back at it.

Youtube will answer pretty much any question you have.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I built one about 15 years ago and swore it off since because this was before the days of PC Part Picker and I had huge compatibility issues.

But nowadays it seems a lot easier. I bought a pre-build a few years back but my next one I will probably try to build myself. I've added parts to my prebuild and the main issue was being worried I was being too rough with parts, especially RAM. I feel like I'm gonna snap something but then it clicks in place.

I think the time getting it all done bothers me more than the money, ultimately.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
For me, never built one but have upgraded components alot. I'm just nervous about the thermal paste.

I think except for that, it's easy.. I miss the builds pc part picker used to do. Not sure if that's a good guide but I liked looking at it.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
In my opinion, the hardest part is picking parts that are compatible with each other and fit in the case. But most of that trouble can be alleviated with simple web searches or finding recommendation lists. Other than that, follow YouTube videos and the instructions of the parts.

Ctalkeb

Apr 12, 2020
As everyone has said, the hardest thing is picking out parts, but plenty of sites will help you do that to your budget.

I have absolutely no technical competence and can still build a PC drunk.

Kirksplosion

Aug 21, 2018
It's certainly not hard, but some of it can be stressful, and I'm not generally one to get stressed. I worried I was putting too much pressure on my CPU when snapping it into place, I worried I just entirely effed up my heat sink installation, I worried I was putting on too much/too little thermal paste.

It was enough that I decided I'd just buy pre-built next time. For me, it was mostly simple to do, but not worth the stress whether unwarranted or not.

Last edited:

Franco_Tech

Oct 30, 2017
So I've been trying to get a PC for the past month. I know bad timing but I'm at home and want to build up my portfolio while I'm furloughed. Anyway I tried to order from Alienware then after 3 weeks they canceled my order. I tried to order from NZXT but it got canceled after 3 days... So I think I'm going to say fuck it and build one myself.

Im intimated as fuck though at the thought of building a PC. So I'm just wondering how hard is it really. I'm not a rocket scientist or anything but I consider myself smart enough haha. I wasn't to big into legos and was never really a mechanic but I can build BBQ'S and Chairs with ease at my job. Anyway would you recommend I build my own and become a true PC master or should I stick with my original plan and find a prebuilt?
The hardest part is having the money to buy the parts, other than that its easy.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
So I'm just wondering how hard is it really
There are some things to consider and to be careful about but that goes with almost anything you do in life. But as others have already said, it's mostly like lego.

This is roughly how it goes:
1. order your hardware: case, mainboard, CPU, GPU, RAM, SSD/HDD, power supply. Those are the basic components with each coming with everything you need to install it. Your case comes with any screws and nuts and slots you're going to need to tighten/install your HDD/SDD. The power supply comes with all the cables you need to connect your hardware to. Your mainboard comes with all the cables you need to attach to your HDD/SDD. The CPU comes with a default fan and cooler and thermal paste.

It is sometimes handy to a few extra small components like extra thermal paste, extra cables, and so on.

2. You put everything onto your mainboard like lego, everything should go with minimum effort and almost zero force. The tightener for the CPU socket and the RAM naturally requires just a tiny amount of force since it tightens things. There's also only one slot for each respective component. You can't install you GPU in the wrong socket. You can't install the RAM the wrong direction. If in doubt: check the manual.

(You can also install your mainboard first into your case and then put everything on it afterwards. It depends on preference and how much space you have inside your case to fiddle around.)

3. Some questions may arise, like: I have four RAM banks and only two bars, do I just put them in how I want to? This is answered in your mainboard's manual. Usually mainboards have banks like A1, A2, B1, B2 and you simply match the number in increasing letters (e.g. 1 bar to A1, the other one to B1). But again, this is well described in your mainboards manual. Another question might be: how do I install my case fans and the LED power light and the front USB panel and such? This is also well-documented in your mainboard's manual. Many mainboards if not all have also some imprints at certain slots and sockets, saying something like "CPU_FAN" or "FAN_1", "FAN_2" or "HDD LED" or "AUDIO PANEL".

(Now, many cases allow the cables to run through a dedicated compartment behind the mainboard so your inner case looks tidy and neat and allows the best possible airflow with no cables obstructing it. Check your case before you install anything to see what options you have, also refer to the manual if in doubt).

4. Install/click the I/O shield into the back of your case with the big open slot.

Put everything into your case and tighten the mainboard with the designated screws onto the designated base.

5. Connect the cables.
Power supply to: Mainboard, GPU, HDD/SDD (and DVD/BluRay drive)
SATA cables from mainboard to HDD/SDD (and DVD/BluRay drive).
CPU and case fans to mainboard.

This is an example from my mainboard's manual on how to connect the case's cables to the mainboard; it doesn't get more complicated than this, it's already the maximum intricacy:
T0tQD7G.jpg

6. Switch on your power supply, hit the boot button.

So the things you need is common sense, the manual of any given component, a bit of patience and/or one or two YouTube videos.

This whole process, if it's the first time you do it, should take you no longer than one or two hours.

If problems arise, don't panic, don't try something funny you don't know anything about, but check the internet, ask people who know it and/or watch a YouTube video on this.

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
It is a little bit harder than "Build your own PC!!" people will let on, but not much harder. You will have to be willing to learn and watch a few YouTubes and run your proposed build by someone more experienced.

It is also easier than it used to be and getting easier all the time.

Jsee80

Nov 18, 2017
Ive seen a few people bending cpu pins recently and I don't understand. You remove the protective cover off the socket, lift the silver latch, match the triangle on the corner of the CPU and socket. It doesn't click or anything, you dont push it in, it just lays into the socket like nothing.

If you ever get confused on "what next" or "is this right" during your build process STOP and post in the PC Build thread. Just make sure you post the parts of your PC and include pictures.

Last year I built a platform bed, dresser, entertainment center, and computer desk flawlessly but all the screws and shit was crazy, Way more time consuming than putting a PC together.

Hope you aren't turned off by 6 page assault of advice LOL.

Camoxide

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
UK
Assembling the parts is easy

having the cable management nice, clean and tidy is however quite difficult but is optional.