• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Would you want to see a Chrono Trigger remake from the modern Square Enix?

• Yes

Votes: 304 29.1%
  • No, they would screw it up/couldn't recapture what made the original great

Votes: 499 47.8%
  • No, I didn't like the game/it's overrated

Votes: 76 7.3%
  • I just want Chrono Break already

Votes: 164 15.7%

• Total voters

momerath

Oct 27, 2017
It'll never have a remake.

But I could see a universe where it gets a raid series in an FFXIV expansion.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Why would they do it? The original game is a cult classic at best anywhere outside of Japan. If anything they've tried to bury the IP.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
No, I just want to be able to play Trigger and Cross on PS5. It's a series that is consistently rated as one of the greatest of all time (trigger especially) and one I have never played. If the PS5 is not backwards compatible or a new version isn't released (ala FF 7, 8, 9 remasters) then I will just have to play it on my PS3. I wish the 3DS version of Trigger wasn't so damn expensive though. I hear that's the one to play.

Sawyer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
The internet really overestimates the popularity of Chrono Trigger. It's a classic but no one under 20 has even heard of it these days.
It's not mainstream. FFVII's impact never vanished. Does Chrono Trigger have a movie? No.

The answer is no.

OP
OP
mistersensation
Nov 11, 2017
Where's the "No, because it doesn't have near the nostalgia value and wouldn't be worth the cost" poll option
No, but not for the reasons posted in the Poll. Despite the legacy and status of Chrono Trigger, the sales potential for a big budget title likely isn't there to justify it.
Yeah, that's my bad for asking a different question in the poll than the thread title. The poll is meant to be more along the lines of 'in an ideal world of infinite money and resources, is it even something you'd want?'

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
?? DQXI's template would work just fine for Chrono Trigger?

is this one of your weird, barely substantiated criticisms about FFVIIR where you conflate the idea of a general plot with the idea of story and refuse to consider the amount of work that is going into fleshing midgar into being an actual city?

DQXI's template would NOT work for Chrono Trigger. For fuck's sake, people. Games should not just be about running around in big empty fields, avoiding monsters, and occasionally getting to do cool things if the developers have enough time to make a dungeon or two.

Square sucks at content generation. We've known this for a fucking decade. That's why Dragon Quest XI makes you revisit all the areas in the game multiple times.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
No.

CT sits in the perfect/imperfect middle. Its too revered to be a quick remake like Mana or Saga games but has never sold enough to warrant a FF VII R level remake. If you had one of its core creators still at Square, they could push the balance one way or the other but all of the people involved have moved on since, leaving it in limbo as an IP.

It will get remade in some fashion eventually but it will take a while. If Square does it for the prestige they would probably pick other games but if a young group of developers who grew up with Chrono want to remake it ... well they probably wanted to remake 7R more and thats what theyre doing for the next ten years.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
FFVI would line up a lot better to a full on dark and gritty 3D remake, but even with that said, I would rather both get an octopath-like remake so that they come out in the next 10 years

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think the art style would work well like that. Maybe more like Dragon Quest XI.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
FFVI would line up a lot better to a full on dark and gritty 3D remake

Verily.

266058-ultroscookieultros.gif

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not interested in Square touching Chrono Trigger. They couldn't even port it right.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
so does DQIV.

DQV.

DQVI.

and DQVII.

lmao

One of the things that makes Chrono Trigger a good game is the fact that it's brisk and quick and it doesn't take a long time to get ANYWHERE. Having to put up with shitty filler "field areas" instead of an overworld would ruin the pacing.

Oct 26, 2017
It's perfect the way it is, leave it alone.
Peoples fondness for Chrono Trigger goes beyond just the gameplay, it's the whole visual and audio style that makes it.
I personally won't even look at the re-translated DS version, I appreciate that it's more "accurate" but I don't care, seeing characters saying things differently would be incredibly jarring for me.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
One of the things that makes Chrono Trigger a good game is the fact that it's brisk and quick and it doesn't take a long time to get ANYWHERE. Having to put up with shitty filler "field areas" instead of an overworld would ruin the pacing.

Chrono Trigger's world map is barely that. It's in the same league as LSSS or some shit.

I'm referring to the scale of the towns/villages-- something like DQXI would suffice just fine like that-- not to mention it being a perfect fit for the art direction.

saiko

Keeper of the White Materia
Nov 4, 2017
I don't think a remake on the scale of FF7R would even make sense for Chrono Trigger. Something like the Trials of Mana remake would be more suitable and is more within the realm of possibility, imo.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Almost impossible, they should be on top, be super efficient by putting games out quick and think that they could do anything they want that it'll be gold.

Basically they'll need to be Squaresoft again.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
The title question is completely different from the poll question.

Will they? ...No.

Would I want to see one? As someone said, I think a Trials of Mana-esque remake of Chrono Trigger could be lovely. Not everything needs the ludicrous budget of FFVII-R.

As for whether I think they could remake it competently? Yeah, I really do.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
Where is the "No, it isn't popular enough for the financial investment" option?

This also goes for FF6

Last edited:

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Not all games need a remake. It's not hard to go play CT right this second and it should NOT be hard to enjoy and appreciate it for what it is.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
I'd be fine with them doing a good port to the current consoles. Show the damn game some respect that it rarely gets from Square.

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
They would botch it.

It also doesn't have the casual fanbase FF7 has -- so the financial stakes would be way higher (this is a bad thing)

Oct 27, 2017
Murfreesboro, TN
No, Chrono Trigger is perfect. I would pay good money for a decent port/remaster for current gen if they want to give us one of those.

If they wanna do something Chrono related, just give me Chrono Break dammit. If they were to touch a SNES title and give it a huge remake, then let it be Final Fantasy VI because it truly deserves one as it along with V were never remade.

Or, give us Live-A-Live, Bahamut Lagoon, Treasure Hunter G, and Treasure of Rudras as those are all but forgotten by most people.

Manbig

Oct 26, 2017
I hope not. They'd turn it into some wack ass action game with awkward voice acting.

If they were to make it just looks like Dragon Quest XI and make it play the way that it's supposed to, then I'd be down but that is about the only acceptable path as far as I'm concerned.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Fuck no. The only thing I could see work is a visual update like FF4 got with the Complete Collection, or more recently the SaGa games. The game hardly needs it, though.

A 3D Chrono Trigger... ugh. It's bad enough what they did to the Mana games but people actually want Chrono Trigger to get butchered the same way.

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018
No. The game doesn't need it, and Square would screw it up since the only key staff member they'd likely be able to bring back would be Mitsuda (whose music is awesome but who is rather inconsequential for a remake).

I also do not want a Final Fantasy VI remake.

jnWake

Oct 25, 2017
Square didn't even care to put it on the SNES Classic so I doubt anything's on the cards...

However, a remake would be fun IMO. I've played the original (and the DS port) enough times already, I'd be open to something different.

OP
OP
mistersensation
Nov 11, 2017
It seems the people have spoken. Personally I wasn't really clamoring for a remake myself, as the original will always remain a classic that's easy to go back to. I have the same reservations as many people here, I was just curious what people thought and I thought it COULD theoretically be done well, but it's probably true that even if it could, a big-budget remake just wouldn't make much financial sense. Some really good answers though, especially in regards to the circumstances surrounding the development and team.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I love DQ11 (more than CT actually), but the pacing is totally different in DQ11 than it was in CT.

From a business perspective, CT has a good reputation, but is nowhere near the sales behemoth that FF7 was. As several people have mentioned, a smaller remake like the one they're doing for Mana would be more likely to turn a profit.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think any game will ever get the treatment that FFVII got.

ZiggyPalffyLA

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Los Angeles, California
It's perfect the way it is, leave it alone.
Peoples fondness for Chrono Trigger goes beyond just the gameplay, it's the whole visual and audio style that makes it.
I personally won't even look at the re-translated DS version, I appreciate that it's more "accurate" but I don't care, seeing characters saying things differently would be incredibly jarring for me.

This. The only change I'd want is a native 16:9 mode, an option to choose between the old Woolsey translation or the DS one, a chapter select, and maybe a few more added cutscenes in the Toriyama art style.

Also, cut the extra content from the DS version and put some cut content back into the game itself (ie Singing Mountain).