• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Too many consoles is dogshit. It serves no purpose. Microsoft porting their games to the PC ecosystem has been a godsend and I wish Sony would just buckle and do the same with their first party exclusives. I own a PlayStation 4 and it has literally gathered dust from sitting unplayed for months and months for precisely this reason. It's not my preferred hardware, I only bought it for stuff like Bloodborne, and it has otherwise been an expensive paperweight going unplayed for months between exclusives. Nintendo fills a void by having the Switch portable, which changes the function of the device to provide something my PC does not, but even then I wouldn't complain if they were shipping all their titles for PC.

All glory to a one platform future.

Oct 24, 2019
I only ever want 1. Why would I split my catalog across two essentially identical machines? I don't care enough about Gears or Halo anymore for Xbox to tempt me, so I'm locked in for PS5

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
My budget really only allows me to get one.

If it wasn't an issue of cost I'd have the Switch already and would buy both PS5 and XSX

I'm more than likely getting PS5. But I have no problem getting an XSX instead if they end up having a better showing.

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
I might just upgrade to the PS5, since I've got a gaming PC and an Xbox One X already. The Xbox Series X sounds great, but it kind feels like it would be triple dipping. But I don't know if that really fits the context of your question, op.
I'm in the same boat. I'll probably end up caving and picking up an XSX at some point when the exclusives start materializing.

Dec 4, 2017
London
I've always been a one console guy - seems wasteful to have any more for very little gain so I'll make my choice and stick with it. Likely that will be a PS5.

New002

Oct 25, 2017
This gen was my first gen having all the consoles after only ever being able to afford one per gen.

Hopefully never doing that again. Don't play games enough to support having all the systems + a PC. Everything in turn has ended up collecting a lot of dust.

My plan going into next gen is to stick to my pc and switch, keep the xbox one s around because it's still a bluray player, and because it syncs nicely with gamepass ultimate, and sell my ps4 pro.

Jan 27, 2020
Washington, DC
i've always been a one console guy. It's like I cant focus on more than one. This goes back to SNES/Genesis generation. I would sell one and pick up the pother multiple times, never owning both (finally settled on the SNES). Back then I lacked the money to own both.

I did something like this in the PlayStation/N64 days. I had a PlayStation, and had never owned a Nintendo product. Then, I went to a friends house and saw those waves in Waverace 64 and my mind was blown haha. I sold the playstation, got an N64, and ended up buying another playstation a few years later because lets face it it was way better haha.

It worked out though. That first PlayStation I had definitely would have died. It was an early run model.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm only thinking about getting one console this gen. Maybe also get whatever Nintendo's got cooking up after the Switch

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I plan to get a PS5, and then upgrade my PC. I seriously wish the PS had the BC policy of the Xbox, but the games have always just been more on PS for me.

I'll revisit XSX in a few years when the studios they just bought have actually had time to produce their new exclusive IPs.

The PS3-gen was stupid for me. I had the PS3, 360, Vita, and 3DS - as well as PC. Then last gen I just had the PS4, PC, and XB1. Now I just plan to stick with PS5 and PC.

Apr 21, 2018
It's always a Nintendo console + one other

Always.

This for me. And so far it's been PlayStation every time.

Nintendo I always grab right at launch because usually Nintendo starts a generation strong (and finished weak who are we kidding)
And I'll buy the PlayStation 1-2 years after launch, because Sony seems to start a hen weak and finish strong. And more likely to see price drops after that 1-2 years.

It's a perfect balance. I actually feel relieved there's no Nintendo handheld line I have to keep up with anymore.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
I'm 100% convinced that I will own both. Sony has become a top 2 publisher in the entire industry this gen in my book and I always have a great time with my Xboxes too. Insomniac Games is also one of my favorite developers so I expect they alone will make the PS5 worthwhile. Game Pass will make the Series X pay for itself too, especially since I use Microsoft Rewards.

Ideally, buying one should be enough but both Microsoft and Sony are bringing out some of the best in gaming right now so I love them both too much to miss out by sticking to one. Will buy both and have an amazing time.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
I'm PC only and don't know how people balance so many games. I feel overwhelmed with just one ecosystem.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
I'm with you. Only a launch PS4 this gen and it gives me more than enough. I upgraded my computer a few years ago but my PS4 is still my primary. I'm debating getting a switch but I think I will be putting that money towards a ps5 instead. I will probably get a switch later on when it is cheaper. I already have more than enough games to keep me occupied with work, family, and other responsibilities on top so no need for anything else.

That said, I'm glad Microsoft is putting their stuff on PC. I vastly prefer consoles but the option is there if I need. I played Gears 5 on my PC, for instance.

I think this combination casts the widest net for me. I get all sony exclusives as well as PC only games along with xbox games on pc. I'm not missing out on any exclusives except Nintendo's but I will likely get a switch a bit later anyway.
Yeah just have a PS4, Switch would be nice too but like there's already too many PS4 games i want to spend my money on lol. And then I play indie stuff on my pc too.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
If the new consoles can do most games at 60fps or more then I will be getting the PS5 first and maybe the Series X later. Looking back I am glad I went full PC this gen and didn't bother with either consoles.

EMT0

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo + one console is the way. But I'm in no rush to get any consoles from MS or Sony after last gen. Sony's current titles don't appeal to me and the stuff that I cared about is on the outs(Ratchet, Jak, Sly,) or multiplatform(Spyro, 3rd party exclusives like FF that either come immediately or eventually to other platforms). MS's titles have never impressed me and I gave the Xbox One a chance this gen; ultimately never used it. I'll change my tune once I see games I wanna buy but at the rate things are going that's gonna be a never.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Probably a Nintendo + PS5 for me. I'll also try getting into building a PC, and I'll probably keep a very open minded about buying an Xbox if everything turns out well on their exclusives and BC promises

huH1678

Oct 30, 2017
Most people only buy 1 home console a generation.

PS5 + Switch(handheld) + PC for me

OP
OP
AgentOtaku

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
I want 0. Hopefully no exclusives will catch my eye next gen and I can just upgrade my PC whenever an affordable, mid tier rig can last me the whole gen.

I used to be PC all the way about a decade go then walked away. Still got respect for those out there who solely stick with it.
I do still prefer consoles tho.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
Ive only ever been a one console guy. I dont have the time nor the money to be owning 2 consoles.

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
If you own a pc there's no reason to own an Xbox, so it's never been easier to only own one console

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
I usually buy everything, I even bought the wii u and vita this gen. But I think I'll be fine with ps5 and switch this upcoming gen. Will be strange not having an Xbox, since I've had them all since the original Xbox. But no I can't only have 1 system, I want all the games that are available.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not buying both XBox and Playstation, it's one or the other, a few exclusives is not worth it. Switch + one of those two.

zswordsman

Nov 5, 2017
I've only ever had one main console. I've had every Sony system along with a Vita and now a switch. One console is more than enough for me, especially with the amount of games that get released now a days. But the more consoles the better. More options for different people and the competition helps with pushing games further.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've only had a PS4 this gen. I don't think I missed much worthwhile.

I'll borrow my friends Switch should Metroid Prime 4 ever materialise. Don't care about Gears, Halo or Forza so MS had very little to interest me. Killer Instinct the only thing.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
This is going to be my first gen not getting all systems, after Sony cleared up the BC stuff I decided to go PS5 and will be skipping the Series X. If Lockhart is real I might get one at some point but I barely use my X1X now even with Gamepass so it makes sense not to get one next gen if I get a PS5.

Edit: I do have a Switch as well but I'm not really counting that.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
I'll end up with both systems, but I would be cool with no mid gen refreshes.

BuBu Jenkins

Oct 27, 2017
I fully intend on going PS5 as my only console with my primary gaming platform being my gaming PC which will still give me access to MS's exclusives and once upgraded will offer better visuals/performance than either next-gen consoles. The only thing i'll miss out on are Nintendo's exclusives which other than Zelda i couldn't care less about soi i'll be good.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Yes, I have more games than I have time. A baby and a mortgage, so can't just blow my cash on everything I want. For now I'm actually planning on sticking with PC gaming and only upgrading my relatively modest (1060 6gb) machine in another couple of years. See how we go...

MistahS

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Sep 2, 2018
If Sony can let me stream their first party titles if I buy them digitally then I will definitely be only buying one console.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I want to stick with PC and Switch next gen, hopefully the trend of fighting games being solid on PC continues

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Video games are not as pricey as other hobbies, so I don't mind getting everything I have interest in.

When I talk about other hobbies, I'm talking about stuff like scuba diving, high-end photography, BJJ, regular travel, eating out regularly at decent restaurants, a bar habit and so on.

A little math:

One console with six full-price games per year is 760 bucks or 63 bucks per month. That's inflated due to getting a new console. The annual price goes down once you bought the console.

Once you have the console and buy 8 brand new games per year, you're spending 480 bucks per year or 40 bucks per month.

Let's not forget that many people are waiting for deals as well. 8 brand new games per year is generous as well.

OHRye

Nov 17, 2017
PS5 only for me. Just got a brand new gaming PC about 6 months ago, and I have Xbox game pass for PC. I'll stick with that.

I guess if Nintendo did come out with something, I'd buy that though.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Two gens ago I had a PS3 and a Wii.

Last gen I had a PS4 and a Wii U.

In the upcoming gen, I'll be happy just having a PS5.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
More than one console at launch is a waste imo. Going with Xbox until I get a really cheap PS5 at the end of the gen.

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
PS5 for my anime, JRPGs and many many other gens I loved since the 3rd gen. Like come on now. Oh and a Ninty console