Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
Catching back up on this since it was first posted here

Real Life Comics ©1999-2023 Mae Dean | Comic for Tuesday, Jul 14, 2020

A daily online comic about the normal lives of some abnormal people. Still pretty okay for over 23 years and counting. By Mae Dean.

I kinda feel like I'm being attacked with this one. Like I'm pretty sure I've had this exact conversation with either myself or other people who ask me why I've had the same messy haircut for like 20 goddamned years.

Etain

Oct 25, 2017
Catching back up on this since it was first posted here

Real Life Comics ©1999-2023 Mae Dean | Comic for Tuesday, Jul 14, 2020

A daily online comic about the normal lives of some abnormal people. Still pretty okay for over 23 years and counting. By Mae Dean.

I kinda feel like I'm being attacked with this one. Like I'm pretty sure I've had this exact conversation with either myself or other people who ask me why I've had the same messy haircut for like 20 goddamned years.
I've definitely had offers to mix it up. And it's usually within a fairly narrow window, IE getting the sides buzzed short but still the same general parted style.

Now I'm more willing to try out different things... once I can just enjoy it being long and COVID doesn't scare me away from getting it cut.

EDIT: Oh, there's the "other style": Absolutely not wanting to get it cut and procrastinating until either I'm dragged to get it cut or it actively annoys me because it's not been STYLED in a way conductive to looking good long.

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
I've definitely had offers to mix it up. And it's usually within a fairly narrow window, IE getting the sides buzzed short but still the same general parted style.

Now I'm more willing to try out different things... once I can just enjoy it being long and COVID doesn't scare me away from getting it cut.
I was the closest I've ever been to dying it purple, and then the state reopened and I got it cut instead.

Dysphoria has always been painted as something akin to revulsion or at least some kind of unhappiness, so to see someone describe it in terms of apathy is new to me.

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
Dysphoria manifesting itself as apathy is totally me. I didn't care about my body or appearance at all. I was morbidly obese forever and on the road to an early death by diabetes. In hindsight it's obvious but at the time I didn't really connect my mental health and physical health so directly.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Dysphoria manifesting itself as apathy is totally me. I didn't care about my body or appearance at all. I was morbidly obese forever and on the road to an early death by diabetes. In hindsight it's obvious but at the time I didn't really connect my mental health and physical health so directly.
This has been me as well, between trying to pay a lot more attention to my appearance this last year because I can identify with myself better.

To further catch up on this thread, I've never hated pink, but I didn't fall in love with the color till...

I mean, just look at this already little beastie!

OP
OP

Deleted member 64002

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2020
New comic and it's hilarious how rlf blew up because of this arc so the joke doesn't land now that it's back in the public eye. That said I'm happy it's around and equally happy for Mae sharing this story.

LiS Matt

Jan 19, 2018
Wow I really need to catch up with this comic, probably over a decade since I last checked it out properly

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

OP
OP

Deleted member 64002

Banned
Feb 19, 2020
So I wanna say that this has been quite an emotional rollercoaster and just the way the final panel ends is super heart wrenching and I'm glad we're going to be taking a ride with Mae now.

OP
OP

Deleted member 64002

Banned
Feb 19, 2020
A new arc begins now and god damn am I very interested to see where this goes this week. I'll be regularly updating the comic around 4 CST or earlier. Not much to discuss this panel but I'll be interested to see what Mae does here.

Etain

Oct 25, 2017
I'd have used it as such if I was foolish enough to stay closeted until my dad was no longer a concern, but instead it's kind of been "well, I can wait but a bang trim and some maintenance would be good."

OP
OP

Deleted member 64002

Banned
Feb 19, 2020
Hello thats me :P

Im gonna have my sister cut it tho cause it got a bit thin and it being short will work better with it growing back in
Haha excellent. Covid growing pains with hair haha.

In other news I'm gonna be real I think the next page is going to be a tough one to deal with. Coming out was hard for me and it didn't go out the way I wanted it to. My sister was angry at me for telling her and she told my mom when I wasn't ready. It went to shit pretty bad we are cool now but like idk. I feel like I have no place living near them anymore. My dad rejected me pretty hard and now doesn't talk to the entire family.

OP
OP

Deleted member 64002

Banned
Feb 19, 2020
Mae continuing to build up some crushing suspense here and it's legit killing me. Building up the courage to talk to someone is tough and it's she's doing such a great job at pushing the story forward.
20200724_3410.jpg

Brannon

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is the Friday comic?

I mean we know what ultimately happens but COME ON this is killing (like that last panel tho).

OP
OP

Deleted member 64002

Banned
Feb 19, 2020
Just a heads up things are about to get dark for the comic this week.
Confirmed via Twitter by Mae.
If any of you feel uncomfortable or triggered by the comic from.here on out I suggest either skipping or having a discussion with someone after reading for anyone's mental health sake. It's still minority mental health awareness month so be sure to take care of your mental health everyone.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 64002

Banned
Feb 19, 2020
Alright new page is up and yeah this is going to be a rough week for the comic.
20200727_3411.jpg
I'm really happy that their still together even when Mae came out and like yeah it's still just this sense of dread and semi anxious cathartic release when you tell someone for the first time.

Etain

Oct 25, 2017
Ok but seriously the punch line reminded me of the kind of cravings I got when I started HRT. Still there TBH, got steak for dinner.

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
Love that punchline. I can super relate to the "Okay here's a bombshell of info now let's pretend things are still normal. Also I'm hungry."

Honestly it's just paced really well too. Great comics writing.

Brannon

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I can see why it would be so; years of unconscious and semi-conscious realization versus the revelatory equivalent of being dropped in an ice-cold river.

OP
OP

Deleted member 64002

Banned
Feb 19, 2020
I can see why it would be so; years of unconscious and semi-conscious realization versus the revelatory equivalent of being dropped in an ice-cold river.
It's been stated before that transitioning can cause a grief reaction in some folks so it makes sense.

Also psy'ch wards are kind are pretty bullshit and
And not really designed for anxiety and inpatient treatment for autism or ADHD.

Etain

Oct 25, 2017
Was relieved with the hospital bit being reigning in an anxiety attack that happened in spite of intentions, but now I'm worried again with where she's directed.

Brannon

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It can't get any wor

...so, related and unrelated to anything, mental health care in this country is a big bag of hell.
That's it. That's all I got, holy crap.

Etain

Oct 25, 2017
Leave it to the American Health Care system to turn something that should have gone relatively smoothly into a fucking circus. :|

OP
OP

Deleted member 64002

Banned
Feb 19, 2020
This Current arc really isn't going all that great right now ooof. Mental hospitals suck and are not equipped to deal with anxiety patients.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Alright new page is up and yeah this is going to be a rough week for the comic.
20200727_3411.jpg
I'm really happy that their still together even when Mae came out and like yeah it's still just this sense of dread and semi anxious cathartic release when you tell someone for the first time.
Been late catching up the last few weeks, but yeah this comic and the one that proceeded it hit really close to home. I was married over a decade before figuring this shit out. Luckily my partner and me are still together and worked through this pretty well.

OP
OP

Deleted member 64002

Banned
Feb 19, 2020
20200812_3423.jpg

It's nice that the comic is going back to its replaxed pace but it reminds me of my own coming out story where it went so so terribly.

OP
OP

Deleted member 64002

Banned
Feb 19, 2020
I really fucking love that Mae is just playing ff14 this entire time. I havnt even really been posting comics since nothing particularly interesting has happened. But man do I wanna slap her for using a level skip for a tank.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I really fucking love that Mae is just playing ff14 this entire time.
Absolutely, it can be frustrating when a character comes out or is introduced as trans since the creators often think that had to be their defining trait or even a significant part of their personality.

It's nice to see someone come out, have the dust settle a bit, and realize your still yourself and you still have the things you love and the people you love to share things with and it can just be that.

Etain

Oct 25, 2017
Also going to be fun seeing her think that was cutscene hell (well it kind of is anyway) when she has yet to clear ARR fully.

OP
OP

Deleted member 64002

Banned
Feb 19, 2020
The comics been going steady for a while but I'm interested to see how fast Mae's gonna take her transition considering she's fastracking major life events quickly.

Oct 27, 2017
SoCal
Subsequent children always get the short end of the stick. So true.

The comics been going steady for a while but I'm interested to see how fast Mae's gonna take her transition considering she's fastracking major life events quickly.
I get the feeling she wants to blitz through the second-child arc so she can get the story back to dealing with her transition, which makes sense. Or just catch up to modern day as soon as possible.

OP
OP

Deleted member 64002

Banned
Feb 19, 2020
20021025_803.png

This panel was from 02 and it's funny how we finally have hit full circle with it. I also love how mae running through home improvement stuff is so funny and charming.

Also I'm still glad mae isn't rushing her transition in the comics it's honestly really nice.
20201023_3474.jpg

OP
OP

Deleted member 64002

Banned
Feb 19, 2020
20201109_114300.jpg

I've been so excited for this part for ages!!!! Waiting for gendercare do be like that lol. It took me months to get my meds.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
20201109_114300.jpg

I've been so excited for this part for ages!!!! Waiting for gendercare do be like that lol. It took me months to get my meds.
I'm definitely interested where this goes... As it gets closer to the new year and being back on insurance, I'm going to be looking into my own options soon. Exhilarating and frightening personally.

Belladonna

Oct 30, 2017
As the new year was coming up, I've decided to catch on the comic.

You know reading that tweet comic was like being hit in the head by a brick. Body dysphoria is not necessarily about hating your current body but can also be simply about preferring a different one. Never thought about it that way. So many walls to keep the status quo, so many. Simply writing this message here is putting cracks into them. What's behind them I don't know and frankly it's absolutely terrifying. I thought I've made peace with myself about this years ago, I guess it's not that easy is it?

Also, hi me from 2nd July.

It was multiple things but definitely was one of the driving triggers.

OP
OP

Deleted member 64002

Banned
Feb 19, 2020
As the new year was coming up, I've decided to catch on the comic.

Also, hi me from 2nd July.

It was multiple things but definitely was one of the driving triggers.
I'm glad you were able to figure yourself out. That tweet that kick-started all this was probably one of the best posts I've seen about dysphoria.