• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ProtomanNeo

Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: Thread Whining
Oh look another thread where posters get to complain and dog pile about Ready Player One /Two.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
First book came out when i was 13 and I enjoyed it
giphy.gif

Mega1X

The Fallen
Jun 4, 2018
I am so lost in this thread, and I am trying to catch up lol. I haven't read the first book, I don't really care about reading it, what was the issue with the first one and this one?

GravaGravity

Oct 27, 2017
What really gets me about RPO is that i read it and thought it was ok, but whenever i read excerpts now i cringe myself out of existence.

It really puts my taste into question

Oct 27, 2017
Nerd poet laureate:

"I would argue that masturbation is the human animal's most important adaptation. The very cornerstone of our technological civilization. Our hands evolved to grip tools, all right—including our own. You see, thinkers, inventors, and scientists are usually geeks, and geeks have a harder time getting laid than anyone. Without the built-in sexual release valve provided by masturbation, it's doubtful that early humans would have ever mastered the secrets of fire or discovered the wheel. And you can bet that Galileo, Newton, and Einstein never would have made their discoveries if they hadn't first been able to clear their heads by slapping the salami (or "knocking a few protons off the old hydrogen atom"). The same goes for Marie Curie. Before she discovered radium, you can be certain she first discovered the little man in the canoe."

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
This shit is fucking godawful. I feel bad for the people in the tweets that are reading this shit.

If they ever go through with that Armada movie, this motherfucker is gonna get even more money.

Possum Armada

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Greenville, SC
Dude lives rent free in a bunch of minds here it seems

Yep
Lol This is all almost too much. I'm dying.

I listened to the first audiobook around the same time I was getting into modern board games. Wil Wheaton was a big part of both aspects, as TableTop was my go-to resource until I discovered The Dice Tower a few months later. During that short period I went from discovering Wil and thinking he was pretty cool, to being completely over him and finding his voice grating and sort of troll-like. I can't help but read these excerpts in his voice. It makes it all so much worse lol.

As for the first book, I listened to it at work. It was popcorn background noise. I thought the first half or so was ok and a fun concept, but it's all fan service nostalgia and no substance or point. The writing itself is, I'm sure, a lot now palatable as an audiobook. I wouldn't be surprised if he writes these by just talking into a tape recorder and typing it all up later with zero editing

Same here. It made for a pretty decent audiobook. Sometimes you just want a silly story that is easy to follow.

Ready Player One isn't high lit, but it certainly isn't any worse than 98% of wrestling, super hero fiction, anime, and a dozen other forms of brain candy that people enjoy on this forum.

Flavius

Oct 28, 2017
Orlando, FL
You folks who listen to the audio book versions are the real MVPs. I've no evidence to back this but I'd guess the writing is on a middle school comprehension level, at best. Pretty sure I breezed through the first book in a couple of days.

It's garbage fanfic and always has been. It's the literary equivalent of 10 year old you taking your GI Joes and lining them up on your bedroom floor vs your Transformers.

Well, until it gets to the 13 year old you part and it's all about high-tech yanking it.

ProtomanNeo

Oct 27, 2017
Oh look another thread where the RP1 defense force complains that people unfairly bash on the book without offering any defense beyond "I liked it."
Oh look someone complains I'm part of the RP1 defense force just because I don't feel the need to hate on it. BTW I have yet to make it through the first book, not really my bag.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
This is a book that seems like it was made to be read through posts on Twitter. This is hilarious

Fubar

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed the movie to a certain extent, though I never read the first book.

Armada was an easy although not good read.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Jesus christ, this is the most cringe-worthy book I've ever seen. Was Player One this bad?

Altairre

Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

Yep

Same here. It made for a pretty decent audiobook. Sometimes you just want a silly story that is easy to follow.

Ready Player One isn't high lit, but it certainly isn't any worse than 98% of wrestling, super hero fiction, anime, and a dozen other forms of brain candy that people enjoy on this forum.
Ehhh, RPO is definitely up there, especially as a novel. But sure, I also enjoy some things that are garbage but I have no issue admitting that they're garbage.

Iacomus

Dec 26, 2018
As a person who watched the film and never read the book, if a sequal to the film happens, Spielberg and his crew will need to do a lot of edits/cuts.

I enjoyed all 3 cars mentioned;

A Delorean + Pontiac Firebird Trans Am + Cadillac Mix is a gulity pleasure I would not mind seeing.

Before he died, Halliday used the headset on himself so he could live on. He edited the AI clone's memories to remove the painful ones, but it turned the clone evil.
The AI clone holds everyone connected to the OASIS hostage so he can get his memories back and also resurrect Kira - the girl Halliday fell in love with when he was young.

Like wtf? From an anime perspective yeah this is a twist/trope used a lot but this sounds a lot like SOA S1 but just not good. Also when you think about it...isn't that the hero's journey in some films just flipped for a villian perspective? O.o

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
So, have you ever been talking amongst a group of people and referenced a piece of fiction, only to have nobody around you get the reference? And then you laboriously explain the context of the reference, having to clumsily truncate a lot of it, because you've already derailed the conversation? And when you're done, people nod politely, maybe force a chuckle, but you've now killed the mood and realize that making a reference is pointless unless someone gets it or it can stand on its own?

That's this entire book, except we already get the fucking references, but they're being explained anyway.

Oct 27, 2017
The first film was fun, not read the book though. Are all the references laboriously explained as they are here?

Reminds me of that Steig Larson book The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (aka one of the worst books I've ever read, shit prose, shit story and I'd already guessed the 'twist' after the first chapter) where at one point he just lists the specs of someone's computer, copy/paste direct from the manufacturers.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Those excerpts read like someone made Joss Whedon do a mountain of cocaine and the forced him to fill in mad libs for 300 pages where every blank was <nerd pop culture reference>.

Feb 3, 2019
honestly I hope there is a study somewhere on these books as checkmark-based media consumption. its so disgusting and so superficial and hollow. and yet, it rings a cord with so many people. my guess is that late stage capitalism really broke peoples brains to a level where you shop for media experinces without actually going trough them.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Btw, this is my fav quote so far. Wade is now Notch/Zuck alright.

After two dozen laps in my heated indoor Olympic-size swimming pool—which, thanks to my AR swim goggles, was teeming with rare tropical fish and even a pod of friendly dolphins to keep me company—I was standing in my walk-in closet, surrounded by tailored suits and designer clothes I had never worn and probably never would. I wore the same outfit every day, so I never had to expend any thought on what to wear next. I got the idea from Jeff Goldblum in The Fly, and he, in turn, got it from Albert Einstein.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like by the time you're referencing The 13th Floor you're starting to scrape the bottom of the barrel

I kind of think The 13th Floor has some interesting ideas

PoppaBK

Oct 27, 2017
I'll probably listen to the second one when it is free.
I finished the first one but it kinda lost me at the bit (too paraphrase)
"Oh my God you almost died when those thousands of other people died including everyone you knew but us"
"But luckily I didn't. Ok I think the next Mcguffin is likely located in ....."

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
So, have you ever been talking amongst a group of people and referenced a piece of fiction, only to have nobody around you get the reference? And then you laboriously explain the context of the reference, having to clumsily truncate a lot of it, because you've already derailed the conversation? And when you're done, people nod politely, maybe force a chuckle, but you've now killed the mood and realize that making a reference is pointless unless someone gets it or it can stand on its own?

That's this entire book, except we already get the fucking references, but they're being explained anyway.
I'm pretty sure these books are meant for kids with a passing interest in "80s culture" that don't know where else to look

ernie's just giving the *aesthetic* kids some stuff to google

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Yep

I really can't agree with this. Even on your wrestling comment. In wrestling you don't have New Day stopping their match to look into the camera taking 5 minutes to explain exactly what the Final Fantasy fanfare is after Xavier Woods played it on his trombone, then moving on to reference Dragon Ball Z a couple minutes later, repeating the pattern over the course of a 10 hour match. Or a comic book film where the protagonist stops to explain to the audience every single Easter egg in the movie in great detail.

Oct 27, 2017
Cline was born in Ashland, Ohio. I used to live there, consuming nothing but nerd media and writing hack novels about it makes a lot more sense if you've been stuck there for any part of life.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
I love the idea of the vault passcode being 867-5309. The first thing you would guess if you knew the owner had an unhealthy obsession with the 80s. Yeah, that sounds secure. May as well have been "password"