• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When do you think RDR2 will be surpassed?

• 0-5 years

• 5-10 years

• 10+ years

• Never

Results are only viewable after voting.

Annoying Old Party Man

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Ive just been at EGX and it may be due to the PC trailer, but nearly every group of people I spoke to mentioned the game and discussions how blown away they were by it.

I believe you. I guess it resonates with a specific kind of audience but not with everyone. I'm actually surprised that it's not discussed more - even in ERA you don't see that many threads about the game, I think. For me it was one of those experiences that I'm kind of in awe of how much finesse and time and attention to detail has been put in it, but while I admire it, the gameplay left me uninvested in the long run. I still wish more games like that are made, they are fascinating projects.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I believe you. I guess it resonates with a specific kind of audience but not with everyone. I'm actually surprised that it's not discussed more - even in ERA you don't see that many threads about the game, I think. For me it was one of those experiences that I'm kind of in awe of how much finesse and time and attention to detail has been put in it, but while I admire it, the gameplay left me uninvested in the long run. I still wish more games like that are made, they are fascinating projects.

Listen to last weeks beastcast. I share the sentiment of Abby, it's one of the best games ever made. That doesnt mean I'm going to bring it up all the time because that would be annoying. I often think about the game a year after its launch. I wouldn't bring it up as I dont want or need to feel like I'm forcing my opinion on someone who maybe bounced off it, or struggled with the weight etc.

That being said, It was nice to hear people bring it up at egx and then being able to have a discussion about what it did far beyond others and touch on its flaws that didn't affect the overall experience.

Fitilator

Oct 29, 2017
Great experience, but as game RDR2 is terrible.
For first time in my life i experienced this - the world is great, characters are the best in the entertainment industry, realization is top-notch. But when i stopped the game there is not desire to get back an continue.
It's hanging in my backlog and i feel will stay there.

Annoying Old Party Man

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Listen to last weeks beastcast. I share the sentiment of Abby, it's one of the best games ever made. That doesnt mean I'm going to bring it up all the time because that would be annoying. I often think about the game a year after its launch. I wouldn't bring it up as I dont want or need to feel like I'm forcing my opinion on someone who maybe bounced off it, or struggled with the weight etc.

That being said, It was nice to hear people bring it up at egx and then being able to have a discussion about what it did far beyond others and touch on its flaws that didn't affect the overall experience.

Personally, I actually think there is a very interesting discussion to be made about RDR. Especially because in my opinion, its flaws greatly affect the overall experience. There is a cohesive, monolithic vision for this game that gets (or better, can get) in the way of the player enjoyment. When I reviewed the game I could not but recommend it to everyone, because it is a fascinating game to experience and it is this vision that makes it special. But it is also a game that can make you feel sour with how restricting and backwards-thinking it can be. There is a reason why you get so many discussions of people re-discovering or replaying BoTW (another GOAT and a polar opposite to RDR2 imo), while most players have put RDR behind.

Great experience, but as game RDR2 is terrible.
For first time in my life i experienced this - the world is great, characters are the best in the entertainment industry, realization is top-notch. But when i stopped the game there is not desire to get back an continue.
It's hanging in my backlog and i feel will stay there.

Basically this.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm calling for a full ground up remake in 10 years. Same story but controls that don't feel like shit.

I would also like a new mission structure, one that does not feel right out of 2004 would be preferable. Although, this one might be asking too much of Rockstar.

Joffy

Oct 30, 2017
It's one of those games where my fondness for it actually grows over time. While it's certainly not without its flaws, it achieves a level of immersion in its world and storytelling which I think is unmatched in open-world titles.

Rikucrafter

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Australia
I definitely feel that Assassins Creed Odyssey was the better and more enjoyable game for me. Playing them side by side really highlighted what I personally wanted out of games these days and RDR2 wasn't it. It was definitely just an 'okay' experience for me in a year of absolutely breathtaking games.

Solobbos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I played through it in like three weeks. Looking back on it I can't say it really left me with a positive feeling.

nelsonroyale

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
To me the game feels like an interactive high budget TV series. I really enjoyed the narrative, and think it was an excellent experience. I am happy there are games like this. But as an interactive experience it definitely has pretty sizable shortcomings. The main missions felt more even more like an interactive movie to me than say Quantum Dream games...there is exceptionally little player agency. I think the fact that this game scored critically higher than say Witcher 3 is rather silly. It definitely does some things more impressive - visuals, world design, and main narrative - but the Witcher 3 at least matches it in writing and overall narrative arc, has a much better balance between player agency and cinematic storytelling, has at least as good an OST, and probably an equally decent combat system. I would also say it has better side missions, although they were pretty good in RDR 2 as well. I think RDR 2 is a super impressive game, but as a game had some serious shortcomings which make the score it received puzzling. Although I would definitely say it is a 9/10. It is funny, I do feel the game is almost a new genre. The interactive TV series.