Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
And not just in gaming but in any medium, right? I don't think the ost get as much credits as it should, It's been a long while since I've heard such a quality soundtrack, here a select few of my faves.

spoiler in title: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArT03ssRbtk

For me it's already the soundtrack of the generation, it surpasses anything else out there, probably top 5 of all time.

Last edited:

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its awesome as hell but I refuse to look up the OST until I'm done with the game proper. Some of those song titles are spoilers.

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
Yup. It isn't the best OST this generation though. Nier Automata and Bloodborne surpass it for me. Nevertheless, I think God of War is almost on the same level, but there isn't nearly as much variety as RDR2 has.

SchuckyDucky

Avenger
Nov 5, 2017
I haven't played RDR2 yet, but Celeste's OST makes me cry when I listen to it. It's gonna be hard to beat for me.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You mean in a year with God of War, Celeste, Octopath and Co?

And OST of this gen? Nah. I'll rather take something that tries to steal the spotlight, like Gravity Rush, Nier, Bloodborne and many more.

EndlessNever

Oct 25, 2017
It's the best one this year, by a wide margin. But NieR: Automata has the best OST of the generation, sorry.

Auctopus

Self-requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah - it's up there with The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt and AC: Syndicate for this gen.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
yeah, ive been listening to a few tracks of it over and over since i finished the game, and i usually never listen to videogame ost.

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
Tis Octopath
But I understand not knowing that, many people who play RDR2 probably won't even touch Octopath, they are very different genres.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Classic hype thread. It's a great OST no doubt but there have been several amazing ones this year alone so it's no shoe in.

Oct 25, 2017
Incredibly subjective. I mean I wouldn't pick it for anything but maybe it would get an ost of the year award this year, seems like folks dig it. I don't think it would be even close to an ost of the gen nod though.

Who knows though, when so little focus is given to OSTs in terms of recognition.

Jan 10, 2018
Nah. It has some really good actual songs in the last chapter but overall it's just forgettable ambient music. Good ambient music, but ultimately forgettable.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played RDR2 yet, but Celeste's OST makes me cry when I listen to it. It's gonna be hard to beat for me.
Celeste is my OST of the year. But I've always had an ear that favors more melodic soundtracks than not. RDR2's soundtrack is great, but it blends into the experience so much that I experience it damn near subliminally. I can't recall a single song if asked to just by playing the game, but listening to individual songs, yeah, it's a great soundtrack.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
It's definitely my favourite of 2018's games, lots of great competition too.
It's not my actual favourite game soundtrack of 2018 though, that'd be Fortnite, which has had some absolute great stuff in 2018.

Its awesome as hell but I refuse to look up the OST until I'm done with the game proper. Some of those song titles are spoilers.
That would be wise, not only are there some real spoilery ones, they are just used perfectly too, so let that be the first time listening.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nah. Celeste is better. Smash Ultimate if you want to count remix-based OSTs.

And if you want to include every medium available, as well as this generation as a whole, then it's not even close. I can name five albums this year alone that are way better.

Annoying Old Party Man

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I... don't remember anything from RDR. Literally.

Celeste in the meantime is on my everyday Spotify list, it is truly an incredible soundtrack experience.

I'm sorry OP, I don't even know where you are coming from. Does RDR have a specific theme?

wig split

Nov 1, 2017

And OST of this gen? Nah. I'll rather take something that tries to steal the spotlight, like Gravity Rush, Nier, Bloodborne and many more.
Must have over 100 hours on Bloodborne and I cant even remember what the music is like.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
RDR2, Tetris Effect and Celeste fight it out for me.

You mean a soundtrack where nearly every track is made of the same loud, slow, and/or repetitive strings with the occasional choir bursting in at full volume in a vain attempt at sounding epic? What steals the spotlight in that game? Everything bleeds together for me.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Smash Ultimate wins but that's almost cheating.

Celeste and Deltarune are up there too.

Daniel James

Nov 9, 2017
San Francisco, CA
God of War and Nier Automata are really close but Red Dead's score is probably #1 for me. At first I didn't notice it because it doesn't have the flashiest orchestral score, but they push such deep emotions and moods out of really simple tunes. I really respect the unique flavors they baked into it.

Reminds me of ES: Oblivion's OST in that I couldn't hum the tune for the life of me, but I can tell you exactly how it made me feel. It's precise and ephemeral at the same time, and it made for some breathtaking moments and evoked incredible emotions.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
It's really fucking good, just that d'angelo track makes it a goat. Also people are sleeping on the fallout 76 ost, didn't play the full game but it's great.

OtakuCoder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Celeste, Tetris Effect, Smash, Deltarune, LGPE, Octopath all say "howdy".

I mean, I'm sure RDR2 has a great soundtrack (couldn't tolerate the game to get too far into it) but claiming it as the definitive best in a year with that lot in it is a bold claim.

Olaf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Spoiler, if you haven't finished the game you haven't heard the best song in the game:

wig split

Nov 1, 2017
Celeste, Tetris Effect, Smash, Deltarune, LGPE, Octopath all say "howdy".

I mean, I'm sure RDR2 has a great soundtrack (couldn't tolerate the game to get too far into it) but claiming it as the definitive best in a year with that lot in it is a bold claim.
You've hardly played it so I can't see how you can write it off.

Fusionterra

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just because this game is highly rated, now people overrating other aspects on the game.

People overrating mario and botw garbage soundtracks, makes me legit angry.

score01

Oct 27, 2017
Ok going to throw Tetris Effects hat in the ring. I haven't even bought it yet - it is that damn good.

AerialAir

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Not when we have games with soundtracks such as this:

Plus, many other games such as P5, Witcher 3, DooM, NieR:A and more are much better contenders for OST of the generation.