• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If this game is a return to form, or even close to as good as A Crack in Time was, then it'll deserve 90+ scores

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going w/ 90~91. Looking at OC, nothing's cracked that yet so far this year... but I could see this doing it just based on the visuals and its use of the SSD. It will probably be heralded as the first "real" (whatever that means) next-gen game, or at least the one with the widest appeal.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I would usually predict mid 80's for R&C, but as this is post Spider-Man insomniac and early in the ps5 lifecycle, I am going with high 80's.

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017
ae386c11446f208a85e304f0724cba48.jpg

Seaweed

alt account
Banned
May 27, 2021
I hope they add enough changes to the gameplay. I played Crack in Time and towards the end, I was just not feeling the endless shooting galore that it was. Personally, I think it's because the enemies weren't that fun to shoot. They were bullet sponges and pretty stationary. They didn't really do anything.

CitrusScorpio

Feb 18, 2021
92, I'm bullish

highest rated game in the series and highest rated Insomniac game ever

(UYA is IG's highest rated at 91)

I think absolute worst case it gets like an 87 or something but that's still an excellent score

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
I say 91. Getting a little bump for being the first real showcase for next-gen.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Since we doing score predictions....I always go with a safe bet and say high 80's for games I expect to review well.

mingo

Oct 25, 2017
London
it will be 90s, then a publication will come in with a 6/10 as per usual and bring it down to the high 80s.

Oct 27, 2017
Don't have a PS5 and I haven't played the series in ages, but I'm going to guess 83-85. Visually spectacular, but not a meaningful enough step forward mechanically.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
80-85.
I think a 9 would have been possible closer to console launch when hype was still palpable and excitement could have taking it over the finish line, but not now.

DarkVaber32

Nov 15, 2018
I feel like (from what we have seen), critics will praise the use of the Dualsense features and the actual gameplay, besides the visuals and use of the PS5 power.

Whether it will be enough for low - mid 90s will boil down to the story/dialogue in my opinion. A lot of Ratchet fans didn't really like the 2016 game, and Rift Apart is the first main line Ratchet game again after a very long time.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I'm thinking high 80s, maybe 87-89. I want to believe that a new Ratchet game could crack the 90 mark, but I'm just not sure there's enough love for the franchise in the review community for that to happen.

I hope I'm wrong 🤞

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
Hmm, well the franchise's heyday was three generations ago sooooooooooo...

Nah, I'm going with 91. I think we're looking at a new "A Crack In Time" story-wise at a time when platformers actually have a bit of respect again. I think it's going to be the perfect counter-programming to a shit year of Covid to perk people up. Gameplay looks like it's the tightest the franchise has ever been, and Rivet's gonna steal everyone's heart.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even "It Takes Two" which had some calling it GOTY material and is full of inventive and unique ideas didn't crack 90, no way Rift Apart is.

It'll be high 80's though, minimum 85.

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
I'm thinking high 80s, maybe 87-89. I want to believe that a new Ratchet game could crack the 90 mark, but I'm just not sure there's enough love for the franchise in the review community for that to happen.

I hope I'm wrong 🤞
I'd agree if Ratchet remake didn't review insanely well, far better than a remake with a little over a year of dev time and attached to a bad movie had any right to be. That and most press/ the people who would be reviewing this game have been gushing about it.

I think it comes down to 2 things. The story, and how gimmicky the "going through dimensions" stuff gets. It's a great way to show off the new tech, but if I'm being taken away from planets/ there are several planets that are just window dressing to show off this new tech and have nothing of substance in hte world besides a setpiece, that will be underwhelming.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Even "It Takes Two" which had some calling it GOTY material and is full of inventive and unique ideas didn't crack 90, no way Rift Apart is.

It'll be high 80's though, minimum 85.

I think It Takes Two being a new IP is probably what prevented it from scoring higher. If you look at the Top 20 highest rated games on Opencritic, only 3 aren't remakes/remasters/new entries in existing popular franchises.

Ratchet at least has that going for it!

I'd agree if Ratchet remake didn't review insanely well, far better than a remake with a little over a year of dev time and attached to a bad movie had any right to be. That and most press/ the people who would be reviewing this game have been gushing about it.

I think it comes down to 2 things. The story, and how gimmicky the "going through dimensions" stuff gets. It's a great way to show off the new tech, but if I'm being taken away from planets/ there are several planets that are just window dressing to show off this new tech and have nothing of substance in hte world besides a setpiece, that will be underwhelming.

You make some good points, and regardless of how good the story is I fully expect it to lose the game points from some reviewers. Comedy never lands perfectly with everyone.

It's the downside to actually trying in that department. Nobody docks points for "Save the princess from Bowser!", but if you try something more ambitious you end up with a target painted on your back.

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021
Mario odyssey is a 97, and I enjoyed it but yall cant sit here and tell me R&C is gonna get marked down for not having a gripping story or being innovative enough as a mascot platformer.

Grudy

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
I think its length will make or break the score. If it's short it'll land somewhere around 84-85, if it's a good length it'll hang closer to 90.

I'm betting on 88

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Mario odyssey is a 97, and I enjoyed it but yall cant sit here and tell me R&C is gonna get marked down for not having a gripping story or being innovative enough as a mascot platformer.

I'm having trouble parsing this post. Are you saying you don't believe the game will be docked points for story/lack of innovation, or you do believe it will?