• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How did you discover Raspberry Pi gaming?

• This thread

Votes: 85 11.8%
  • Friends / colleagues had one / talking about it.

Votes: 100 13.9%
  • Online blogs / Video websites

Votes: 371 51.4%
  • Saw it in a shop / online store

Votes: 9 1.2%
  • I used Pi's already at work / learning / hobby

Votes: 157 21.7%

• Total voters

Fxp

Oct 27, 2017
It's really good. I was trying some Dreamcast fighting games and I couldn't detect any skipped frames or lag. The XU4 is on sale right now for $50 at Hardkernel.com. Paired with the mini N64 case with LCD screen, it's an awesome little system. Sorry if this sounds like thread crapping, but I will be playing the XU4 a lot more than my Pi3 setup.

Shipping is $35 from Korea, that makes the whole deal pretty expensive :(

PARAdoja

Oct 27, 2017
That screen looks sooooo good.

What chances would one have of damaging the IPS screen by maintaining aspect ratio and using 4:3 (and constantly leaving the black bars on the sides)?

OP
OP
MRORANGE

MRORANGE

Nice thread btw :)
Oct 25, 2017
UK
That screen looks sooooo good.

What chances would one have of damaging the IPS screen by maintaining aspect ratio and using 4:3 (and constantly leaving the black bars on the sides)?

Very small, I have a 2.8 IPS screen that they might be using and it's very sturdy and great for displaying content on it. If is is the same one it will be a great way to play retro games. the screen is like less than $8 so that will drive the price down quite a lot.

s-l1600.jpg

PARAdoja

Oct 27, 2017
Very small, I have a 2.8 IPS screen that they might be using and it's very sturdy and great for displaying content on it. If is is the same one it will be a great way to play retro games. the screen is like less than $8 so that will drive the price down quite a lot.

s-l1600.jpg

That's great!

If they're using off the shelf parts (I think it's said like that) it would be very easy to replace if worst comes to worst.

I hope I can import this easily or it's available where I live (Retroflag's NES and MEGAPi cases are very available for some reason)

OP
OP
MRORANGE

MRORANGE

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Since the gameboy is turning 30 this week i'm Assuming preorders will start soon.

Can't wait!

Deleted member 18113

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Made a quick search and couldn't find more information and I can't see the videos now, but it doesn't come with Pi Zero right? And I still need to assembly? (my soldering skills isn't good)

PARAdoja

Oct 27, 2017
Made a quick search and couldn't find more information and I can't see the videos now, but it doesn't come with Pi Zero right? And I still need to assembly? (my soldering skills isn't good)
Assembly is a perfect word. You provide the Pi Zero and assemble the board in a cartridge thingy that the case has.

You can see the videos posted here. There's no soldering whatsoever.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Was pointed here from the RetroFlag thread, but does anybody know if it's possible to do Pico-8 development entirely on a Pi Zero? I'm sure it can at least play the games, but I'd be looking to potentially plug in a keyboard + mouse as well.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Would it be possible with some GPIO extenders, a lot of hot glue, and some tenacity to mount a Pi 3 to that thing? Looks like the connecting board is removable at the very least.

OP
OP
MRORANGE

MRORANGE

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Was pointed here from the RetroFlag thread, but does anybody know if it's possible to do Pico-8 development entirely on a Pi Zero? I'm sure it can at least play the games, but I'd be looking to potentially plug in a keyboard + mouse as well.

https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=3085

Would it be possible with some GPIO extenders, a lot of hot glue, and some tenacity to mount a Pi 3 to that thing? Looks like the connecting board is removable at the very least.

Yes and no? you will need to power the ribbon cable that uses micr-usb also note all standard pi's have GPIO pins so you would need to desolder it in the first place.

GreenMonkey

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
The Retroflag case looks like genius.

I'll probably get one. I don't really need it (can play on my switch or modded 3ds) but it is too cool. Will have to grab a Pi zero next time I skate by Microcenter.

Wishing for an OG style GBA one, maybe using the Pi3a? Never had much nostalgia for the OG Game Boy, I was a poor kid when they were popular. But I had a GBA in my early college years.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
The Retroflag case looks like genius.

I'll probably get one. I don't really need it (can play on my switch or modded 3ds) but it is too cool. Will have to grab a Pi zero next time I skate by Microcenter.

Wishing for an OG style GBA one, maybe using the Pi3a? Never had much nostalgia for the OG Game Boy, I was a poor kid when they were popular. But I had a GBA in my early college years.
Original GBA form factor with 4 face and 4 shoulder would be so good.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody knows if adapters like this one works on the Pi?

I'd like to re-use my SNES Mini Controllers instead of buying cheap USB knockoffs.

OP
OP
MRORANGE

MRORANGE

Oct 25, 2017
UK
ETA prime did a teadown of the device:

• IPS 2.8" 320x240 screen
  • Screen is removable, may allow other screens to be put in.
  • You might be able to mod it to use rechargeable instead.
  • Same SNES membrane for buttons

Guy.brush

Oct 27, 2017
Does this have a audio jack ?
Also how bad of a performance drop are we talking with SNES and GBA games? What about Amiga games?

chanunnaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does this have a audio jack ?
Also how bad of a performance drop are we talking with SNES and GBA games? What about Amiga games?
yep on the audio jack, it's on the bottom.

No benchmarks yet regarding snes/gba but performance of games has nothing to do with this device and everything to do with the raspberry pi zero. In all likelihood, we'll see a newer Pi zero this year, and it will share the same form factor, so can be just a drop-in replacement.

I'm a little disappointed this wasn't designed with the Computer module instead of the zero.

compute module: 67.6mm × 31mm
zero: 65 mm by 30 mm

They are practically the same size.

here's a pic of the computer module:
CM300-1622x1080.jpg

and the pi zero:
PI-Zero-W-1-1620x1080.jpg

just for comparison

Oct 25, 2017
I've bought 3 RPi so far thinking they would be the ultimate emulation station. But I've always got put off by there being no good way to get video/art for each game in Emulationstation. Has anything happened on that front in the latest year? Any automated services that can download videos/art for all the games you own?

Oct 27, 2018
I've bought 3 RPi so far thinking they would be the ultimate emulation station. But I've always got put off by there being no good way to get video/art for each game in Emulationstation. Has anything happened on that front in the latest year? Any automated services that can download videos/art for all the games you own?
I've used Skyscraper in the past and been very happy with the results.

chanunnaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At the end of the day, it's down to the CRC/Hash/MD5 filename of the rom more than anything else. I dunno if there is ever going to be a universal solution that "just works"

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Got my PI this morning and started setting up... I am not able to get any scraping done from the UI... I installed Steven Selph's Scraper and then had to set it to use the french website which appears to be working right now but is incredible slow...

OsakaDon

Oct 29, 2017
Osaka, Japan
Yea I wish they would make a Gameboy Color cast with a slot to insert a Raspberry Pi 3 compute module.
Modify the case in the same way Retroflag has done to add an extra 2 face buttons and 2 shoulder buttons and obviously the larger screen and rechargeable battery. I would be happy.
nintendo-gameboy-color-console-clear-atomic-purple.jpeg
4094-01_1_1_1.jpg

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Oh and can you set platform specific controller inputs? I've only found the EmulationStation wide settings so far?

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like Emulationstation not supporting system specific controller inputs is the weirdest and most obvious omissions I've seen...

Like... Really? This should be a no brainer...

I saw a reply from a dev saying that you can set them if you open the retroarch menu once in a game to set it for that core but that feels like a weird workaround...

So how does it work generally if you have more than one controller?

Let's say I have a PS4 controller connected via Bluetooth and I have a SNES classic controller plugged in... Can I seemlessly switch from one to the other depending if I launch a NES/SNES game versus a game on a different platform?

PARAdoja

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like Emulationstation not supporting system specific controller inputs is the weirdest and most obvious omissions I've seen...

Like... Really? This should be a no brainer...

I saw a reply from a dev saying that you can set them if you open the retroarch menu once in a game to set it for that core but that feels like a weird workaround...

So how does it work generally if you have more than one controller?

Let's say I have a PS4 controller connected via Bluetooth and I have a SNES classic controller plugged in... Can I seemlessly switch from one to the other depending if I launch a NES/SNES game versus a game on a different platform?

Well, I use recalbox and what matters is the order that you "plugged" the controller. I mean, if the DS4 is the Player 1 controller, then all the games are going to use that controller by default. You can turn the DS4 off and reassign the SNES controller I think (or rather, maybe ES then defaults to the other controller when the first is missing)

However, I think what you're asking is beyond the scope of what ES is trying to be. Like, it's a frontend to make easy the organizing of games and use a general profile for all the consoles instead of editing manually the configuration file in retroarch. And people that want to use a different controller to specific consoles in a hot swap fashion are not the majority of users and, personally, I don't think it's a very big deal (even though I'm also thinking of buying specific controllers for a couple of consoles like NES/SNES and Genesis besides the DS3 controller that I use now for everything)