Ombala

Oct 30, 2017
Yes, it is. You have to use your own Steam/Epic/Origin etc. account and have to have the game bought on that account. Geforce Now is nothing more than a Virtual Machine that you have to provide your own licenses and account to use. If I bought a VM from Hetzner, Virmach, OVH, Microsoft, Google or what ever, installed Windows and installed Steam and the game then, why would any of those providers need to pay for the dev?
So Nvidia don't have any games on a server that they stream, how does that work.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
But it's not you installing it, it's Nvidia right?
No, you have to press the install button on the nvidia pc. You are the one installing the game on Nvidia's servers.
I have never been on a internet Cafe. But you are using your license, if these games are on Nvidia servers it's not your licenses technically.
Not correct, you use your license to install the game on the internet cafe pc.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017

A car is hardware not software.

Again hardware.

I have never been on a internet Cafe. But you are using your license, if these games are on Nvidia servers it's not your licenses technically.

And what's the difference between hardware and software? You should as person who paid one or another have full rights to that product and be able to do whatever you want with it. And you actually could do that 20+ years ago when you were buying games on disc. And you still can do it today on consoles for that reason. You can rent, sell, borrow or destroy your copy of console game. You can't do that on PC because developers and publishers abandoned physical releases and consumers don't have choice but to accept EULA that is not legally binding document.

Issue is that digital goods are still not as well regulated as physical ones.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Why is there a need for permission? Geforce Now isn't a platform right? It's just streaming from a PC of a game I already own. I mean a really good PC.
As far as I understand the situation, yes. Nvidia are the good guys here. But of course some devs will get upset because they can sell streaming rights exclusively to other partners. Because it's not enough to pay for your games once...

Green

Oct 27, 2017
The problem devs and publishers have with this is that it's actually really good. Nvidia has the best streaming tech I've used at home with moonlight, so they're scared that this clunky solution works better than their custom walled gardens.

It should be none of their business where I install my games I paid for or who's hardware I pay for to play.

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So Nvidia don't have any games on a server that they stream, how does that work.
What are you even talking about? Using GFN isn't any different than using your own PC at home to stream to your work for example. Only difference is that the actual PC is rented from a server provider. Let me ask this again, why would any VPS provider have to pay for a game dev if I install Windows and Steam and their game on a VPS I rent from them?

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This sucks. Devs and pubs want us to double dip and rebuy the games we already own on the PC, to be able to play it on another PC.

Fuck em.

uzipukki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For fucks sake, can you read my fucking post? Where do I fucking disagree with you??????
HOW FUCKING THICK ARE YOU?
Oh lol xD Sorry about that. I confused you with Ombala Lack of sleep is getting the better of me. Edited my post to remove what I said to you. Really sorry about that. :)

Oct 25, 2017
The best way to solve this issue would be for Valve to implement an "opt out of cloud gaming" setting for developers, which will prevent installation on Geforce Now. They'll probably have to do that anyway if they're planning on releasing their own service.

This way everything on Steam is available on Geforce Now by default, unless the dev/pub has chosen to opt out.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I feel like a decent amount of people who are upset about this legitimately don't understand what GFN actually does and OP not clarifying doesn't help either. This isn't Nvidia just randomly offering a streamed version of the game for free without the dev's consent. It's literally just them providing a PC on the cloud so you can login to your steam account and play the games you already own without having to have physical access to a PC. Not sure if the devs here also don't understand it, or they're being deliberately obtuse to get people to sympathize with their shitty crusade. I wish I could go back in time and un-fund this game on kickstarter. Shameful.
This summarizes it pretty well.

Horned Reaper

Nov 7, 2017
The best way to solve this issue would be for Valve to implement an "opt out of cloud gaming" setting for developers, which will prevent installation on Geforce Now. They'll probably have to do that anyway if they're planning on releasing their own service.

This way everything on Steam is available on Geforce Now by default, unless the dev/pub has chosen to opt out.
This is a pretty good idea. Then customers can simply filter out greedy devs like these.

Yarbskoo

Oct 27, 2017
They also install the games on their servers, otherwise they couldn't provide that service. Though, quite obviously they didn't pay for that.
Why are you assuming Nvidia pirated those server copies instead of just buying them from their respective storefronts like the rest of us?

uzipukki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why are you assuming Nvidia pirated those server copies instead of just buying them from their respective storefronts like the rest of us?
They have had to buy the game, or get it for free, to cache the installable files. All big LAN events do this also. I don't see Devs going after them for doing that.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017

They have had to buy the game, or get it for free, to cache the installable files. All big LAN events do this also. I don't see Devs going after them for doing that.

Again Nvidia has nothing to do with game files except in worst case scenario caching them on their servers for quick access. To do that someone with actual license has to download game files first.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Here from other developer perspective

As much is obvious, IMO. There are valid concerns regarding quality control that are fair concerns. Were those the reasons a dev decided to opt out (especially games that are sensitive to latency like fighting games), I'd 100% get it. But we know the real reasons most devs are opting out: simple greed. And it's disgusting, quite frankly.

Landford

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also, I just remembered this dev. Pitch for the game was this amazing story told in chapters with characters that were voiced by David Hayter and Jennifer Hale. Then he released one very short chapter, a second one that was almost universally disliked, and then they took years to release a third one, all the while he was pissy as fuck that people were holding him to his word.

Edit: Reading that Reddit post, I was fucking right. They are doing this to take control out of the hands of players who BOUGHT their games in hopes that Stadia or other streaming service pay them. Fuck those people.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia

There is an impending updated SDA that'll address the "issue" of access via cloud-based services:

@SteamDB | Steam Database said:
Valve is working on "Steam Cloud Gaming" according to partner site code update. Partners will need to sign an addendum to their terms.

Could this be a competitor to @GoogleStadia?

github.com

22 files | newpartner.js, main.css, friends.css, main.js, broadcast_c… · SteamDatabase/SteamTracking@0947d12

…hat.js, chat.js, chathelpers.js, friends.js, shared_english.js, profile.js, steammessages.js, shared_global.js, main.css, main.css, divingbell.css, search.css, main.js, main.js, dynamicstore.js, h...

I presume it'll be published when SCG, which appears to encompass Valve's own service in addition to GFN and the like, is formally announced.

Last edited:

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017

A car is hardware not software.

Again hardware.

You have to install the games you play.

You have to log in to your Epic/Steam/uPlay account to install and start the games.

You are renting an on-demand cloud machine for the time you are playing.

How does cloud computing work?

You get access to a virtualized server. You install your software on it. You run your software.

GFN is not a games subscription service. Nvidia has to have a full set of paid Windows licenses since they are providing the OS in the virtualized machine, but Nvidia is not providing the games.

It is basically an optimized cloud instance that you spin up when you connect. Anyone who has ever used AWS or Azure on-demand services will be familiar with the concept. It is NOT Stadia (Nvidia does not sell any games on GFN).

Deleted member 10234

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NVidia has a GeForce Now SDK that developers can integrate into their titles to provide instant access. Those are probably the games not requiring installs.

developer.nvidia.com

GeForce NOW Developer Platform

Gamers can transform nearly any laptop, desktop, or Android device into a high-powered gaming PC with GeForce NOW. Developers can seamlessly add the power of GeForce NOW cloud gaming to their ecosystem with GeForce NOW SDK: a set of APIs, components, and tools facilitating the simple integration and

Why Integrate the GeForce NOW SDK?
  • Add GeForce NOW cloud gaming to your digital store and expand the market for your games to any PC, Mac or Android device
  • Enable instant play without long wait times for digital downloads
  • Deliver invisible patches to users through auto cloud updates
  • Improve the user experience with single sign-on
  • Enable games to launch in seconds with pre-loading
I think that's for storefronts, not individual game titles?

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
The licenses that devs sell on Steam are personal licenses. They are not to be used for commercial endeavors. Nvidia must contact the dev to get a license for business use.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
The licenses that devs sell on Steam are personal licenses. They are not to be used for commercial endeavors. Nvidia must contact the dev to get a license for business use.

Again Nvidia has nothing to do with those licenses. It is still your personal license that you use not someone else.

uzipukki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Steam LAN caching is not forbidden in the least though. Internet cafes, big LAN parties, Linus Tech Tips and others use it. All players still need to own the game, all you do is cache the installation files for faster access, nothing else.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia

Which would be a valid point if users were relying on Nvidia's accounts to access the games, but that's not the case. GFN isn't log in to your own account -> silently log in to Nvidia's account -> access Nvidia's library of supported games, it's log in to your own account -> access your own library of supported games.

Edit: To be clear, I'm not saying Nvidia shouldn't oblige requests to have games removed, just that the argument that it's skirting a responsibility to financially compensate devs/pubs is a weak one.

Last edited:

Militaratus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Why are developers pissed at GeForce Now, but not Playstation Now and Remote Play while those services do the exact same thing (playing games you own/have access to from a remote location)?

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Why are developers pissed at GeForce Now, but not Playstation Now and Remote Play while those services do the exact same thing (playing games you own/have access to from a remote location)?
Remote Play is just you accessing your own hardware. PS Now, Sony has made deals with the publishers.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
The agreement with Sony they have in regards to releasing on the digital store or on the platform in general might cover streaming too (or they have separate agreements for Now). Nvidia has just decided to promote their paid service with the availability of games on no basis whatsoever. Contrary to what some are trying to paddle here, I'm fairly certain GFN doesn't allow you to arbitrarily stream any game in your library, but just select titles.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Nvidia needs a license to copy and distribute the files across their servers. And you need a license to play the game.

Nvidia is not distributing game files.

The end user is installing game files on rented hardware via a licensed PC storefront (EGS, Steam, Uplay).

Nvidia would need a license of some sort to provide games directly to users. It is not doing that.

Openrob

Nov 5, 2017
The fact remains that this is not a streaming platform, it's people playing *games they already own*.

KMT these companies shouldn't be dictating how they are played anyway.

Oct 25, 2017
Playstation Now is limited to the game library that is part of the service. You can't buy a game on PS Store and then play it through Now.

Remote Play (both Playstation and Steam) is used with your own hardware so there isn't much publishers can do to stop it.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Nvidia needs a license to copy and distribute the files across their servers. And you need a license to play the game.
Why would nvidia need a license to distribute the content? If a friend has shit internet but owns the same game as me, I should be able to copy my game folder and give it to him to copy to his steam folder and play after steam notices the game.
Also, you can add a caching server to your own home to download content more quickly (after the first time) without steam vetting. This is the same thing.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I don't know why devs are against this.

You still have to buy the game on Steam or other store.

Zushin

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
So without having read the whole thread, is this the equivalent of hiring a console from VideoEzy (Blockbuster) back in the day to play a game you already own physically, and then the devs getting cranky that you aren't playing it on your own console and demanding a fee from the store?

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
So without having read the whole thread, is this the equivalent of hiring a console from VideoEzy (Blockbuster) back in the day to play a game you already own physically, and then the devs getting cranky that you aren't playing it on your own console and demanding a fee from the store?

Yes. Or the dev demanding you buy another copy just to use with the rented console.

uzipukki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes.

Deleted member 61326

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2019
I went into this thread expecting to side with the developer, but in this case I absolutely don't. While I perfectly understand that there might be distribution agreements in place that make the legal aspect obvious, from an end-user point of view this is unacceptable. If I buy a game, I expect that I can install it however I want as long as I of course don't give copies away. I don't see how it makes any difference when a third party installs it for me and provide access.

Adding developer to my mental list of developers to avoid.

Haint

Banned
Oct 14, 2018
As much is obvious, IMO. There are valid concerns regarding quality control that are fair concerns. Were those the reasons a dev decided to opt out (especially games that are sensitive to latency like fighting games), I'd 100% get it. But we know the real reasons most devs are opting out: simple greed. And it's disgusting, quite frankly.

Not even quality control has a leg to stand on. People already stream locally (or play directly) on TV's with 100+ms lag on terrible networks, or run games on underpowered laptops (or desktops) at 20fps. There is nothing to control on PC, it's bedlam.

Last edited:

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Thank god publishers and developers haven't had the bright idea to extend this to physical computers as well. It would suck to have games you can only install on authorized hardware (e.g. Alienware, HP).

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I see no reason for the publisher or developer to have any sort of say in which computer I play my game on. Nvidia isn't selling access to the content itself, they sell access to a computer that you can play you legally purchaced content on. This sort of reaction is completely unacceptable.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
Thank god publishers and developers haven't had the bright idea to extend this to physical computers as well. It would suck to have games you can only install on authorized hardware (e.g. Alienware, HP).

They would if they could. If greedy devs and publishers had their way, every game purchase would be tied to your hardware id.

The used games shenanigans last gen was proof of that. Thank god that stupid shit failed.