• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
The "I'm taking my toys away and going home" threat doesn't work when you've already taken the toy away and you're halfway home.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
Fair enough on their existence then, but you're really focusing on a minority of posts and misreprenting the majority of discussion in this thread.
I never framed it as the majority. I just found it a ridiculous assertion in comparison to alternatives.

I also find it egregious to conflate review bombing with poor reviews over technical issues.

Like I don't consider Fall Out 76 or Arkham review bombed.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
This is what happens when people equate protesting a game being on a different store as a timed exclusive to protests for human rights issues and others try to counter it by stuff like Charlottesville.

More like this is what happens when people equate review bombing with 4chan, alt right and racism.

deadman322

Oct 29, 2017
reviews aren't a thing on console so they shouldn't be a thing on pc.

am i doing it right era?

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
im so confused if review bombing is so ineffective why are we supposed to care when it happens

it can't both be some terrible spectre haunting over a game and at the same time be worthless

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Review bobbing is immature and dumb. Randy is immature and dumb. Shows all the signs of a narcissistic sociopath with his thin skin, thinking the world revolves around him and inability to control himself from lashing out. He needs help. He needs to stop talking because he's making life tough for his employees.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Can't believe people are actually in here defending review bombing.
I can't believe people are defending removing review scores.

Like, let's just take every option a customer has for showing dissatisfaction with a product just because there are bad actors out there. Baby with the bath water and all that.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Sorry Jaw, but saying it's too much work is a fucking cop-out. If the people who care about a 6month exclusivity care SOOOOOOO MUCH about what they don't like, they would do the work necessary to make a difference. When you want the attention of something, you do have to do something uncomfortable...and for that, I understand why people would review bomb...but if you are going to do something and be effective, do something that most likely won't be silenced. You aren't silencing social media, you aren't going to get rid of refunds (for your own business to get customers). Petitions, we know how effective they can and can't be. But honestly, my main point is that saying that my idea requires too much work...then it wasn't something that important to that user in the first place. "Lazy customers" ;)

I still don't think the two can be compared as greatly as you think. Lets compare what you're suggesting

Negative Review
- Turn on Steam
- Leave Negative Review

Refund title on separate platform
- Have an account on said separate platform
- Buy said said title on separate platform
- Go through the method of getting a refund
- Leave a post somewhere (Tweet, reddit, etc) saying what they did.

If Review Bombs are too much, the refund method looks even more ridiculous for everyone involved. Why go through all that effort when at the end of the day you're just not going to buy the title on EGS anyway?This just goes back to there needing to be a better method for consumers to voice their concerns. Review bombs or stretched out refund scenarios ain't it.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry Jaw, but saying it's too much work is a fucking cop-out. If the people who care about a 6month exclusivity care SOOOOOOO MUCH about what they don't like, they would do the work necessary to make a difference. When you want the attention of something, you do have to do something uncomfortable...and for that, I understand why people would review bomb...but if you are going to do something and be effective, do something that most likely won't be silenced. You aren't silencing social media, you aren't going to get rid of refunds (for your own business to get customers). And you are only effecting the publisher, and the store... Petitions, we know how effective they can and can't be. But honestly, my main point is that saying that my idea requires too much work...then it wasn't something that important to that user in the first place. "Lazy customers" ;)

You can keep saying "6 months exclusives" but I prefer people "whining" about that rather than people giving a pass for anything. As of today, you're still paying to play online on the same servers as people who don't. Maybe if you were "lazy" too, you wouldn't.

That's because the gaming industry has a good history of giving a pass on everything. For once, I'm.glad it's not happening here.

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes there is evidence of that for sure

Well, that's not really a bad thing considering

AqqDwco.png

https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim

Then the PS3 version was straight up fucking broken at launch.

XYjXFLa.png

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
I think half the problem with the industry is people anthormorphize these companies as their friends. They are not, they are a for profit business looking to make a profit.

Many of these companies want to be seen as your friends and in some cases like with Blizzard, they want to be seen as "family," and speak to that on stage presentations to fans. Of course it's ridiculous but they do use this sentiment to sell product, it's not just in our heads. It seems they want to have their cake and eat it to. They want all the benefits of a loyal passionate fan base but none of the negatives.

With that said the illusion of "friendship" has been shattered for Blizzard, Bethesda, Bioware and now Gearbox and that is a good thing. Take the emotion and nostalgia out of it and have each game they release be judged on it's own merits. I don't think they will like the sales they get from that kind of approach and will slip back into the old ways of being our pals but they can't have it both ways.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
Those reviews are the HUGE minority.
Out of the 20k games on Steam, there are maybe 15 that have been hit by review bombs.

People make a bigger deal out of it than it is. It is always the same games:

-Firewatch (PDP)
-Rome 2 (female generals)
-Chuchel ("blackface)
-Devotion (China/Taiwan relations)
-Metro (Exclusivity)
-Borderlands (Exclusivity)
-Titan Souls (Totalbiscuit)
-GTA 5 (Mods)
-Nier Automata (for not inlcuding chinese translation even though S- E said they delayed it for that)
-PUBG (VPN service in China)
-Skyrim (Paid mods)
-Paradox games (regional pricing of DLC)
-Stellaris (mod made fun of chinese asking for localization)

Thas mostly it.

Ignoring all the 2415215 games where reviews are helping people.

Heck. Just in the four months from 2019 these reviews of games seem to have helped people in their decision:

-Bright Memory
-RE2
-DMC5
-Sekiro
-Risk of Rain 2
-Gujian 3
-Civ5 addon
-Dawn of Men
-Pacify
-Baba is you
-Outward
-Islanders
-Farcry New Dawn
-The Invisible Guardian
-Gris
-Bloody Spell
-Ace Combat
-God Eater 3

Or all the other games released. You could check out Tizocs thread and see each months releases and see how many of those are hit by review bombs or "unreliable reviews". I would argue besides Devotion and Metro, none.

It's difficult for me to care about the supposed social power of Review Bombing, or the politics of "gamer rights" to be honest. Outside of the pro-consumer aspect of it, gamer politics are almost always misguided. Metro gets review bombed for its exclusivity deal on Epic's PC platform, but gamers can't be bothered to do the same to THQ Nordic's games after they do an AMA on a forum openly harboring Nazis, misogynists, and pedophiles?

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly this thread is part of the explanation why video games are so fucked sometimes. People are legit arguing that the world needs less ways for consumers to protest the action of video game companies. Oh no not review bombing that is childish and goes against the sanctity of reviews. Consumers should instead use avenues that can be more easily ignored to get their grievances heard.

Better yet they should just not buy the game and say nothing that way the publisher/developer, using their psychic powers, will know exactly why people didn't buy their game. It was because there wasn't enough loot boxes and we didn't do a good enough job monetizing everything.

Fanta

May 27, 2018
Schrödinger's review, both effective and not effective.

I'll repeat what I said earlier in the thread, if companies would be more transparent this wouldn't be happening, at least not as bad as this.
You see this mostly with GAAS titles where the developer makes changes irrespective of what the community wants and then wonders why the playerbase drops.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And how do the companies know why you are not buying the game?
Maybe you want to buy the game and want to continue to support the company but you can't currently support their decisions and want them to change (that decision)?
Again, when Paradox raised the DLC prices, their most loyal fans were reviewbombing their games. Paradox undid the decision and apologized. What would boycotting Paradox have accomplished?
If I am unhappy with the road my country is taking, the stupidest thing I could do was to NOT vote.

Also, I didn't buy 99% of all games ever released, It didn't do shit.
You're conflating a bunch of different things with retroactively review bombing an older game that was well received because another game you don't own and hasn't been released will have to wait 6 months after release before it's sold on a store you prefer. In your other examples, I may have agreed with their methods.

Except you really can't, not by doing that alone in any case, since they aren't mind-readers and would have no way of knowing why you're doing that unless you tell them in some form or another... Like perhaps a review for instance. Just not buying something expresses nothing since there could be a literal billion reasons for it, including stuff like say just not even having heard of the store, just not being interested in the game itself, and all kinds of other stuff and the only way for them to possibly know what's what is to let them know in a way that doesn't require reading minds.
Then organize a mass boycott expressing in detail why it's happening.
Yes.

It's in the word origin. ex pressio, pressing out.
A boycott is an ACT of voluntary and intentional abstention from using, buying, or dealing with a person, organization, or country as an EXPRESSION of protest, usually for moral, social, political, or environmental reasons.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
I mean yeah. Look at Chinese Parents or bright memory. The word of mouth it got was partly due to reviews, then forum posts and chinese social media, then streaming etc. It is part of the process.

How do you think Chinese Parents got popular? They didnt have any marketing campaign running, the game dropped on Steam almost out of nothing, got good review scores and then word of mouth happened. Do you think if the game would have gotten bad review scores and people talked shit about it, it would have gotten more than 1m sales?
Err, if the game got bad reviews then good word of mouth wouldnt have happened. And the game woulda flopped since there was no marketing either. That aint a gotcha statement

Clever Gato

Oct 28, 2017
Never been a fan of Randy, especially after the Aliens Colonial Marines fuck up.

I wonder how bad things will get if Red Dead Redemption 2 (Take Two) is announced as a timed exclusive.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe people are defending removing review scores.

Like, let's just take every option a customer has for showing dissatisfaction with a product just because there are bad actors out there. Baby with the bath water and all that.
Deplatforming "bad actors" is far more important than giving nerds a way to complain about their entertainment product launching on a different store.

This isn't that serious. Gamers don't need to rise up.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Err, if the game got bad reviews then good word of mouth wouldnt have happened. And the game woulda flopped since there was no marketing either. That aint a gotcha statement

The thing is there is a corelation between good reviews and good word of mouth. Good reviews happen because the game is good. Then people open the Chinese parents storepage and see it seems to be good. They might leave a good review too and tell friends about it etc.

chadskin

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly this thread is part of the explanation why video games are so fucked sometimes. People are legit arguing that the world needs less ways for consumers to protest the action of video game companies. Oh no not review bombing that is childish and goes against the sanctity of reviews. Consumers should instead use avenues that can be more easily ignored to get their grievances heard.

Better yet they should just not buy the game and say nothing that way the publisher/developer, using their psychic powers, will know exactly why people didn't buy their game. It was because there wasn't enough loot boxes and we didn't do a good enough job monetizing everything.
And, my personal favorite, they should just look for another hobby if they don't like what's happening.

Deleted member 3294

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do you think the review bombing due to Paradox charging everyone outside of EU/America EU american prices wasnt justified?

Or people being pissed about the removal of modtools not justified?
Do you think it was justified when Chuchel was review bombed because the devs changed the design of the main character so they no longer had blackface?

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
where is this data?

i would be surprised if there wasn't a general correlation between high user reviews and better sales for lots of different reasons

I should be more specific here. What I mean is this

As long as a game gets generally ok user scores. Leta say 70s and up there is almost no notable increase in sales the higher you go. People mostly care if a game is "good". So its difficult for me to say really positive scores help sales.

On the flip side very negative scores CERTAINLY harm sales numbers. Big time actually. They have a hugely detrimental effect.

So I can understand if you are a business saying, "hey these usee scores really arent pushing that many more sales for us, and if one of our games gets targeted for review bombing it can hurt us horribly," wanting to not put your game on a platform like that.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
FWIW I don't think the FFX HD broken patch that forced you to be online would have been fixed as fast (or at all) if not for the review bombing.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Do you think it was justified when Chuchel was review bombed because the devs changed the design of the main character so they no longer had blackface?

No. I do not think so. I am aware there are stupid "review bombs". I am also aware they are review bombs that changed the pub/dev stance on issues not having anything to do with politics. And I am aware that review bombs do not happen as much as people think they do.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
Are you unable to assess events on their own merits, or do you just paint everything with a giant brush based on the worst incidents?

Get that freeze peach "all opinions are valid all events and perspectives are the same the only thing that matters is the method of action" nonsense out of here.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
A significant portion of steam playerbase at the moment is China. Epic Games storefront does not sell games in China. Thus, making a game an EGS exclusive is effectively screwing millions of people there from playing that game at all. Now that you're aware, are they allowed to be pissed off about being treated this way or is it still pathetic?

Anyone's allowed to feel as they like. I've spoken against the epic store and don't buy from it. Review bombing another game on steam because the sequel didn't come to steam is a short-sighted idiotic move and let's not pretend the reviews I'm seeing are from China. Like give me a break with that shit. I wasn't born yesterday. It may feel good, but in this case, it was a poor decision imo that's not going to help the cause.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
User Warned - Antagonizing other members

Review bombing is what happens when developers have demonstrated they just don't care and players feel like they have to hit somewhere for companies to feel it.

Yeah I can't agree at all with this bullshit. It's a handful of pissy gamers who want to force a company to do exactly what they want.

You know what a sane way is to make your voice heard but he company? Not buy their games. By attempting to make all of their games look like shit online in kind of a fraudulent way by abusing a system meant for legitimate reviews, you're attempting to make your 'vote' of whether or not to support the company and force it on other people.

Glad that steam is finally, limply, doing something about this shitty behavior. And I'm gonna trigger some people by saying this but it's true, this is the direct result of competition that valve got off it's ass to do something about it.

Deleted member 283

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This analogy would make more sense if all protests were done by the same group.
Yes, and review bombs aren't all done by the same group either. It's other the same people doing that stuff. Ergo...

Like, I just don't get it. White supremacists breathe oxygen too, you going to stop doing that? That bigots abuse something does not mean that something suddenly stops having legitimate uses add that the tactic has no good either. Things can be used for good and bad. That's the whole point of the protest example: that people can protest for good things (BLM events) and they can protest for terrible reasons (Charlottesville hate rallies). That protests can be used for terrible reasons and to attempt to cause fear and division doesn't naje the good uses and the good that can come from stuff like BLM or Women's March and stuff go away and stop matteing.

Same deal with bigots trying to co-opt stuff like Steam Reviews. That's raaon to do something about the bigotry, certainly, but it's not reason to let them co-opt the whole thing and say it's theirs and give thhen that kind if power over the whole thing, anynore than ut would make sense to ban the act of protesting entirely because bigots can abuse that stuff too. That's a completely disproportionate response and is giving them more power and worth then they deserve.

Something should be done about those forms of bigotry when they pop up for sure, but the solution certainly isn't too throw the baby out with the bath water when good can also come from these tactics like anything else instead of just letting them claim anything they touch and throwing the entire thing out as soon as they touch it. Bigotry is terrible, but that shouldn't make legitimate uses disappear and while something certainly needs to be done about it and it can't bbe allowed to fester, I'm also at the sane time concerned about giving then the power to give anything they so much as touch or use to do anything at all get completely tossed out, legitimate uses and all, as I'm sure they'd love to have that power, to get anything they don't like disabled or shutdown or whatever by just spewing their garbage in their and it would just be that easy, and I just naturally dint want then to have that kinda power to do that either, if that makese sense.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Obviously not.

Review bombing happens because people don't have an effective means of communication, and very often larger publishers and developers especially ignore issues or offer only a brief, dismissive tweet in response.

The fact that shit people will also use it for shit doesn't change the overall issue here.
Can't believe people are actually in here defending review bombing.

Do you not understand the underlying reasons why it happens? And how it's symptomatic of an issue with communication?

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China

I posted a list. You can add games to it if you want:

-Firewatch (PDP)
-Rome 2 (female generals)
-Chuchel ("blackface)
-Devotion (China/Taiwan relations)
-Metro (Exclusivity)
-Borderlands (Exclusivity)
-Titan Souls (Totalbiscuit)
-GTA 5 (Mods)
-Nier Automata (for not inlcuding chinese translation even though S- E said they delayed it for that)
-PUBG (VPN service in China)
-Skyrim (Paid mods)
-Paradox games (regional pricing of DLC and games)
-Stellaris (mod made fun of chinese asking for localization)

Dynamite Cop

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
Review bombing is dumb as hell and childish, but let's be real.

Randy needs Epic/Tencent money so he can pay for his legal fees. He needs to stop pretending and blaming other things.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I think we can all agree that consumers should have no say or opinion on a product whatsoever. Don't like something? Fine. Sit there quietly and don't buy it. Don't you dare give your opinion of a product or company. No criticisms. Just keep your money, and don't tell anybody that you're keeping your money. Just sit there, quietly.

But if you like a product or a company then by all means shout it as loud as you possibly can, and everywhere that you can.

Good lord, it's just bad look after bad look from PC publishers lately

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
I still don't think the two can be compared as greatly as you think. Lets compare what you're suggesting

Negative Review
- Turn on Steam
- Leave Negative Review

Refund title on separate platform
- Have an account on said separate platform
- Buy said said title on separate platform
- Go through the method of getting a refund
- Leave a post somewhere (Tweet, reddit, etc) saying what they did.

If Review Bombs are too much, the refund method looks even more ridiculous for everyone involved. Why go through all that effort when at the end of the day you're just not going to buy the title on EGS anyway?This just goes back to there needing to be a better method for consumers to voice their concerns. Review bombs or stretched out refund scenarios ain't it.
If you want something that's more effective and something that can't be silenced and effects a companies bottom line...you will need to do work. You are looking at it from the standpoint of "this is easier to do so more people will do it cuz it's easy"...and that's when I say, you aren't being effective because you aren't showing said company that you are being true to your words and not giving me (company) a reason to change shit. All the company is going to see is that people whined about something...but we are hitting <x> numbers so our forecast is the same. Instead of "shit, our forecast changed because of a big drop in preorders...what happened? We lost sales."

Like I said, if you want to get something done, you are going to have to work for it. Talking ain't going to do everything for you...especially for the "vocal" gaming community. A lot of shit talking happens and people still buy games...why would a company care if there's nothing to really show that it will hurt their bottom line? If users aren't willing to do a little bit of work (and let's be honest...that's not that much work) to get their voice heard...they never cared that much in the first place and were just talking a bunch of hot air...therefore their "petitions" or "review-bombs" don't mean shit to the companies and they'll just get that type of shit fixed.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
reviews aren't a thing on console so they shouldn't be a thing on pc.

am i doing it right era?

I know this is a joke but Xbox does have user reviews and they're just as meaningless/garbage as Steam Reviews, if not worse because nothing positive comes out of bad reviews there

I'm not gonna deny benefit of Valve's review system and it's responsibility for fixing abhorrent PC ports due to how visibility plays a part in it's reviews but I'm still not fond of the concept

But you can't really blame consumers using this to speak up when devs/pubs actively when there's literally nothing else lmfao

Status
Not open for further replies.