• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RoninRay

Oct 28, 2017
So the season finale of this is one of the most batshit crazy insane episodes I've ever seen. Season 2 is going to be nuts. Also father is the mvp.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
What the fuck is this shit bro lol

This is pure nonsense. The first two episodes seemed to show promise but now I realize that it was just Ridley Scott's visual flair.

KingKong

Oct 27, 2017
what happened is that they had a great premise up to her crashing the ship and then just winged the rest of it when they realized they had 9 more episodes to fill

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
I have to respect Aaron Guzikowski/Ridley Scott for doing something as totally insane as this.

Doesn't mean I'll be watching Season 2 though.

Possibly the craziest TV episode I've seen in 10 years.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
I haven't seen a lick of this show but these comments have me excited

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Episode 10:
Ok what the hell happened. Is this Alien Covenant 2 or what lol

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Father is the light of this show. It's drab and sad, and he's got me THRILLED for knock-knock jokes lol

That episode was nuts.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That was a wild as fuck finale. I'm definitely not coming back for S2, but yea that was crazy.

Oct 25, 2017
My experience with this show was being at a dinner with friends who wanted to watch Ep 9 (I don't have HBO so I didn't care) and having zero prior knowledge/interest going in. My one sentence review is that the show is the definition of style over substance.

It's intriguing and mysterious for sure, but holy hell it's like Lost on steroids in terms of weird stuff happens just because. I got the entire thematic gist pretty quickly without any explanation needed because the depth seems to be purely surface level in terms of visuals and dialogue. Just a messy pastiche of overtones assembled from a variety of historical sources without any internal logic.

Normally being thrown in like that you'd be clueless to plot simply because you lack information and context from prior episodes, but pretty much any question I may have could be answered with "we don't know what the fuck is going on either" or "they never explained it, we don't know yet". And they're on Episode 9?

My guess of what's going on based on one episode of viewing:

There is an actual god-like entity who can interact with the physical realm. The god is not from Earth but somehow influenced developments on Earth in order to induce people to come to its space home and 'do things' for it. Robo-baby is related to this god's plans, maybe some weird hybrid fusion of humanity/aliens?

pxleyes

Oct 25, 2017
So is this in the Steven King -verse?

main-qimg-21b845ebccee48a706b682f71e344ecb

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
I wonder if we'll get a season 2... I did not expect episode 10 to end like that. We got closure with some but then some other crazy shit just drops in the last quarter of the episode. For the first 60-70% I was sure they were actually going to wrap it all up into a 1 season/stand alone story... then nope it goes crazy!

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if we'll get a season 2... I did not expect episode 10 to end like that. We got closure with some but then some other crazy shit just drops in the last quarter of the episode. For the first 60-70% I was sure they were actually going to wrap it all up into a 1 season/stand alone story... then nope it goes crazy!
It has been renewed

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
Unless I'm mistaken, season 2 was announced a few weeks back.
Oh shit, that's crazy good news. I'm down for another season of this madness! I honestly have no clue where they'll go from here.

i'll put it in spoilers even though we're all watching it, but...

...i got serious 'the 100' vibes at the end there (please no)
I've never seen that show (in your spoilers) but what about this is similar to it?

SuperYlvis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The showrunner hopes for 5-6 seasons.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
The showrunner hopes for 5-6 seasons.
If that's the case, and they have an idea for the story on their head then they need to try to wrangle a 'length' deal from the network and agree to tell the story over a certain number of seasons and if they'll only give them 2 then they need to figure out how to end it in 2. I'm excited for where they go with it but the show is not for everyone and I'm somewhat worried it will get cancelled before the full story can be told.

GreySquirrel

Oct 27, 2017
So
I guess the snake/eel thing could fly because it was part tech from being birthed my Mother. I'm guessing those massive holes everywhere were from a similar or exact kinda thing but fully grown. I do not understand wtf those metallic cards Campion threw into the fire were or why in episode 9. Or that weird hexagonal thing with a head thing was
Could have done with a tad more explanation while leaving things open but I enjoyed it

MoonToon

Banned
Nov 9, 2018
Kinda crazy how these robots
don't have ultrasound to check up on a baby or give medical aid. Like, how the FUCK did she not know that this thing wasn't humanoid? Also ... falling into the underground core of the planet heals you? They both looked like they were toasty done but then came out the other side 100% ok. And where the fuck did Paul go? Lil sociopath.

LordValhalla

Jan 9, 2018
Like everyone else: WTF?

And I was right, Ridley Scott does love some impregnation. Particularly with snake like creatures that grow quicker than physically possible. Also, that CGI was garbage when the snake burst out of the lander.

I get they are trying to tease out 6 fucking seasons, but did we really have to wait until the last episode of season 1 to find out that "humans are already on Kepler"? Like that could have been hinted at or explained at some point in the last 7 episodes to keep the tension higher. The middle part of this season is just filler and for no reason, imo.

Android Father grappling with the idea of being a cuckold was interesting, and his decision to protect the children and help mother dispose of the magic snake was touching. Them lying in the back of the lander, he the first to wake up. That was handled well. Father for president. He is the only one in the show with any fucking sense.

Would have liked to see Paul have some doubts about his mother earlier in the series. But no, we had a deus ex machina off screen where Sol talked to him and told him every plot point he needed to know to shoot Sue/mary. Mary, mother of Jesus? Is Paul the foretold child? Or is this Mary Sue and a stand in for a writer?

I dunno, this show is boring, but also fucking wild.

How did the Athiest get to Kepler? I thought the Mithraic had the only Ark ship?

They are going to get renewed for only one more season and then the show is gonna hit a brick wall of plot explanation and derail.

I mean, I'll still watch, but still...

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Favorite characters: Father, Sue

Everyone else: Meh, though the actress for Mother gave a good performance

SuperYlvis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If that's the case, and they have an idea for the story on their head then they need to try to wrangle a 'length' deal from the network and agree to tell the story over a certain number of seasons and if they'll only give them 2 then they need to figure out how to end it in 2. I'm excited for where they go with it but the show is not for everyone and I'm somewhat worried it will get cancelled before the full story can be told.

I urge you to read this :)

Episode 10 Explained by Showrunner

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
I'm starting to think that

Time travel might play an element in the series. The quote in the article above is interesting.

"This is not a virgin planet as we're coming to discover. There was a civilization here. And here we're seeing imagery that does suggest on some level that something that we know to have happened 13 years ago, here we see depicted on a cave a drawing that was made several hundred thousand years ago. And how can that be? So I think that's sort of the question that's being presented there, but I can't answer it."

What if the wormhole they fell through was a different type of wormhole?
What if the skeleton of the worm is the worm that was born, but a million years ago?

Deleted member 62221

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 17, 2019
I enjoyed this show despite some flaws and yeah, that season finale was nuts.
I think there's a big possibility that they fail to deliver with all the storylines and concepts they are trying to use at once but I'm also of the mind to give this show the benefit of the doubt, maybe they pull it off. At least it keeps me interested and amused, I drop a lot of shows halfway lately.

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
That big structure in the desert is totally a
dragon egg. There a dragon in there like that skeleton they found.

Oh i didnt realize a new episode released today, i thought i had already watched the finale.

Oct 27, 2017
Pathetic, the show was always heading for the difficult ending, but it has completely disintegrated in the final episode.

• Flying leech-anaconda, capable of piloting the spacecraft
• Androids not considering just shooting or smashing it with the stone
• The need to suicide in the lava, which somehow completely ineffective, aircraft made from bullshitanium
• Musical chains of characters constantly being drama queens, and leaving/revealing secrets at the worst possible moment
• Androids being the most dramatic and incapable of resolving conflict out of all
• Sol still mysteriously talking and saving people
• Neandarthals who devolved into beasts, android skull in the relic
• Cliffhanger 300%: snake, fate of androids, new spaceship colony

What do I say... The start was great. The show was going to explore the emotionless robots raising children in the alien planet. The show about survival, religion and emotion. Visuals, acting, music were among the top of what shows are capable of these days. However, it never went anywhere, it just kept piling nonsense on top of nonsense until this episode, which completely broke the entire experience for me leaving on the triple cliffhanger resolving absolutely nothing.

Nov 8, 2017
BTW I want to say I totally called earlier in the thread about the following:

When they said "tastes like pork" on the creatures, it was what I considered a fairly obvious hint that they were mutant humans of some kind.

Oct 28, 2017
the fucking snake baby shit.

Omg the last episode is atrocious.

I feel angry at this show. Everything else was pretty good! The sol stuff, the androids finding what it means to be human, the kids learning to survive.

That last episode, dear God. I get why people are passing on a season 2. Too much weird shit at the end.

Fanuilos

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This show is nonsense, but I'm kinda into it just for the weirdness and laughing at how goofy it is sometimes.

Box

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lancashire
Ending saved the season for me. Second half was dropping off and now I'm invested again.
Theme tune still floors me after 10 listens :D

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
I'm still on the last batch of episodes from last week. I don't care how it ends, I'm completely invested and I can say without a doubt this is my favorite show of the year. I haven't kept up with a show like this LOST.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
Considering what the show turned into and how much I disliked it, I can't say I'm surprised that I hated the episode but, holy moly, was I not expecting it to be this bad. This was bad on an impressive level, it is honestly kind of mind boggling that there is so little resolution to anything and instead the finale of the season spends its entire final act about, well, you know.

I could see myself coming back for season 2 if it arrives at a time with little competition(and a cool trailer) but otherwise I am probably out.

Raised By Wolves
Character Ratings:
  1. Sue - Has a simple character-based drive, how novel.
  2. Father - If the show didn't dick him around so much he would probably #1.
  3. Vita - Does nothing but be adorable.
  4. Mother - Early season Mother was amazing, later season Mother was a chore and a bore.
  5. Tempest - Nothing wrong with her, just kind of dull.
  6. Hunter - Frustrating close to being interesting, constantly backslides whenever he seems to be reaching a turning point.
  7. Holly - Not enough development.
  8. Marcus - Ceases to be a character halfway through.
  9. Campion - Is whatever the show needed him to be in any given episode.
  10. Paul - Ceases to be a character halfway through, his actions in the finale are beyond the pale.
  11. Rapist - Was never a character, making him one of the oddest things on the show. Why was he here?

Wracu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree Sue is pretty great. She also just looks 5000% sci-fi. I could see that character in so many things.

Young Liar

Nov 30, 2017
i don't think this show was ever truly saying anything profound and it's been very heavy-handed about its takes on religion, spirituality, sapience, and family, but what hooked me into the show was its boldness to be just batshit bonkers with its visuals and plotting (special shoutouts to amanda collins, abubakar salim, and travis fimmel for superb performances too), so the finale going all out was definitely my kinda shit. i'm in for season 2 as long as they keep the wildness going!

Nov 21, 2017
Have enjoyed this rollercoaster ride, but seriously, how are any of the adult leads still alive after what they've been through.

The androids have 9 lives. Most recently, they have survived flying through a molten core. And they will probably show up next season having fallen to earth from the stratosphere.

The one dude is still stumbling around after eating Mother's radioactive eyes. And the other lady just got shot in the stomach.