• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
I just binged this in 2 days and... wow, really fell off a cliff (or giant pit) halfway thru, ay? I'll watch season 2 begrudgingly. But this show kinda sucked ass for too many reasons. I'll just leave it at one. The kids acted better than half the adult cast, or pretty close to it. Caleb/Marcus is prob. one of the worst portrayals I've seen in a long time. Really took me out of it.

I might be able to recommend this to friends for the pure confusion & spectacle of it all.

It was a trip, I'll leave it at that.

Oct 26, 2017
I just binged this in 2 days and... wow, really fell off a cliff (or giant pit) halfway thru, ay? I'll watch season 2 begrudgingly. But this show kinda sucked ass for too many reasons. I'll just leave it at one. The kids acted better than half the adult cast, or pretty close to it.

I might be able to recommend this to friends for the pure confusion & spectacle of it all.

It was a trip, I'll leave it at that.
Yeah it was what I expected out of a Ridley Scott project.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it was what I expected out of a Ridley Scott project.
Lmao I feel bad shitting on it as you can tell a ton of effort was put in it but... I was just speechless for most of the way thru it. The neutral kind of speechless where you kinda know where shit's going but at the same time you know you've spent way too much of your days watching TV pondering about radioactive biofuel & parched for what now definitely looks like delicious milkblood.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The ending was pretty dumb but people telling you to not watch the show are overblowing badly. It's overall a very satisfying experience with some fantastic moments
The last few episodes are weak and the ending is so bad that it feels criminal to recommend the show to people and waste their time.

i was hugely into it the first half and really talking it up to people and after the finale i felt like an asshole

it starts so strong and really is just a bunch of nonsense in the end. I feel zero desire to return for a second season of it.

it's not like Twin Peaks, where the answers to the mysteries are sort of secondary. Outside of Mother and Father the characters aren't even that interesting.

Last edited:

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
The last few episodes are weak and the ending is so bad that it feels criminal to recommend the show to people and waste their time.

i was hugely into it the first half and really talking it up to people and after the finale i felt like an asshole

it starts so strong and really is just a bunch of nonsense in the end. I feel zero desire to return for a second season of it.

it's not like Twin Peaks, where the answers to the mysteries are sort of secondary. Outside of Mother and Father the characters aren't even that interesting.
It's the journey, not the destination. I think people put way too much value in that sort of thing, especially for brand new shows. You're missing some frankly great TV if you don't watch it at all. The highs are plenty and it makes it worth.

That being said, if the next season continues the trend of the finale, it will no longer be worth the time to watch.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's the journey, not the destination. I think people put way too much value in that sort of thing, especially for brand new shows. You're missing some frankly great TV if you don't watch it at all. The highs are plenty and it makes it worth.

That being said, if the next season continues the trend of the finale, it will no longer be worth the time to watch.
The second half of the journey was bad, though. That's what I'm trying to get across. For that portion i was giving it the benefit of the doubt. It did not pay off.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
The second half of the journey was bad, though. That's what I'm trying to get across.
I wouldn't characterize the entire second half as bad. Just a step down from the awesomeness of the first. I would definitely recommend the show with the disclaimer that the quality does drop. For some people, they don't care that much if there's a lot of good.

The only episode I thought was noticeably bad was the finale, but my expectations for the show were rock bottom from the beginning.

If the second season shits the bed, I would then recommend season 1 with that disclaimer

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't characterize the entire second half as bad. Just a step down from the awesomeness of the first. I would definitely recommend the show with the disclaimer that the quality does drop. For some people, they don't care that much if there's a lot of good.

The only episode I thought was noticeably bad was the finale, but my expectations for the show were rock bottom from the beginning.

If the second season shits the bed, I would then recommend season 1 with that disclaimer
I guess it just depends on the people you know. I know my friends would think it sucked.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure if that's a slight or not, lol, but you can enjoy good things and have a tolerance for a fluctuation in quality if there are lots of highs.
For sure, not disagreeing and it's not meant as a slight. My friends are just more cynical. I can tolerate more nonsense than they can (for example, i'm far more forgiving of shaky Marvel stuff than they are)

Oct 27, 2017

You can have both... And the ending this bad just retroactively shits on all the mysteries and events that I liked about the show. And then you have the fallout of all this bullshit carrying into the next season, or having to be put away in the safe to go back to the start.

The show could have easily avoided divine flying snake and journey through the middle of the lava.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
For sure, not disagreeing and it's not meant as a slight. My friends are just more cynical. I can tolerate more nonsense than they can (for example, i'm far more forgiving of shaky Marvel stuff than they are)
Fair enough. I watched the show with my brother and we loved it, but both noticed the decline in quality. But god damn those highs are so good. The direction, acting, chromatography, score, themes, character development and interactions.. when all of those are hitting at once.. what a treat this show has been.

It's too bad they weren't able to retain that quality and ended up diving into mystery box/monster action stuff. The plot really started to get shaky and there was less of a focus on the intriguing themes being explored. I really enjoyed the slow pace established early on

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fair enough. I watched the show with my brother and we loved it, but both noticed the decline in quality. But god damn those highs are so good. The direction, acting, chromatography, score, themes, character development and interactions.. when all of those are hitting at once.. what a treat this show has been.

It's too bad they weren't able to retain that quality and ended up diving into mystery box/monster action stuff. The plot really started to get shaky and there was less of a focus on the intriguing themes being explored. I really enjoyed the slow pace established early on
i think the show needed to be more episodic and not so much a ten hour movie that felt like it was making things up as it went along.

Jill Sandwich

Oct 25, 2017
It went to wierd places that's for sure. I'm still going to watch season 2 but I started getting LOST feels on those last couple of episodes, and not in a good way.

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
what exactly did folk dislike about the finale? i enjoyed it very much, heh. i thought the first and last episodes were the best, tbh.

i hope season 2 goes even more nuts.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
I'm just a big fan of whatever the hell this is:
latest

The mysteries of what has happened and what will happen on this planet will keep me coming back for Season 2, for sure.

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
just finished the season

show can be a slog to get through at times but the highs are worth sticking around for. if you have a soft spot for weird (to what the fuck is happening) sci-fi with a budget, this deserves a chance.

that growing-at-an-exponential-rate, flying snake, nightmare-looking thing is certainly a choice and I respect that choice.

Last edited:

TorianElecdra

Feb 25, 2020
I absolutely adored the ending. Like, I don't see why people hated it. It's the kind of cool and unexpectedly weird stuff that I can appreciate.

I feel like once the is properly expanded many of the stuff happening in the last episodes might be looked at differently.

The human adults actors are bad tho. Specially Marcus. Get rid of him pls.

I liked the series a lot overall.

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
I finished watching it. I like nearly all of it. The kids are well acted. I see some posters here complaining about the adults, but nothing about them really stood out as negative for me. In the end, my only real complaint would be the snake monster at the end which looked like early 2000s sci-fi channel quality, something you would see out of Lexx.

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
I finished watching it. I like nearly all of it. The kids are well acted. I see some posters here complaining about the adults, but nothing about them really stood out as negative for me. In the end, my only real complaint would be the snake monster at the end which looked like early 2000s sci-fi channel quality, something you would see out of Lexx.

conceptually and design-wise I can see how some people would find it goofy for how incredibly bold it is (especially at the tail end of a relatively grounded sci-fi show) but it at least looks moderately better than early 2000s sci-fi channel quality. I feel like people always say that without actually looking at the things they are comparing side to side.

Crispy75

Oct 25, 2017
I loved the ending too. Balls-to-the-wall weird is (can be) my kind of scifi. Will be very easy to fuck it up in season 2 so I wait with nervous excitement....

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
I started reading through this thread. It's a bunch of posters complaining about what did or did not happen in the first 1-2 episodes, whether storyline, character development, or random things about the world, and expecting those to have been addressed in those two episodes.

Then, each of those gradually occur in later episodes, because after all, there are about 12 episodes to tell the story. So, do people really have an expectation for everything to occur at the beginning of a show?

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I started reading through this thread. It's a bunch of posters complaining about what did or did not happen in the first 1-2 episodes, whether storyline, character development, or random things about the world, and expecting those to have been addressed in those two episodes.

Then, each of those gradually occur in later episodes, because after all, there are about 12 episodes to tell the story. So, do people really have an expectation for everything to occur at the beginning of a show?
What is discussion as shows air?

What is confusing about any of the stuff you just wrote about?

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
2 episodes down, this is pretty great and fascinating. There is a brutality to the world, where kids just die and many years pass, poor Campion just by himself and then it starts all over again with the Mithraic kids. The religious Mithraic people having more privilege than atheists, but then the atheist androids are pretty powerful. Raising human embryos. Religious oppression. Atheist oppression with Mother, Amanda Collin as her is absolutely terrifying but also overly protective. Abubakar Salim as Father is so wholesome. The medieval sci fi armour in the 2nd episode was too short lived, hope there's more. The cinematography is frequently excellent, especially love the clouds over the hills motif, last time I saw that in media was Arrival.
918-tid-13-jpg.11tcy4.image.c0x.jpg

Waiting for this to go downhill but if this keeps being weird and thought-provoking, I'm down.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
First two episodes were maybe the best in the series and sadly that's one of the few peeks you get at the sci-fantasy/medieval inspiration.

I enjoyed the series overall and hope they build on that promise in S2.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
2 episodes down, this is pretty great and fascinating. There is a brutality to the world, where kids just die and many years pass, poor Campion just by himself and then it starts all over again with the Mithraic kids. The religious Mithraic people having more privilege than atheists, but then the atheist androids are pretty powerful. Raising human embryos. Religious oppression. Atheist oppression with Mother, Amanda Collin as her is absolutely terrifying but also overly protective. Abubakar Salim as Father is so wholesome. The medieval sci fi armour in the 2nd episode was too short lived, hope there's more. The cinematography is frequently excellent, especially love the clouds over the hills motif, last time I saw that in media was Arrival.

Waiting for this to go downhill but if this keeps being weird and thought-provoking, I'm down.
Congratulations, you have just watched "The Ridley Scott Episodes."

I still loved the rest, others in this thread... decidedly less so. You can certainly tell when Ridley departs.

Last edited:

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Father is the best part of the show.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Finished season 1, and that was fantastic all the way through. Way more exploration about motherhood, parenting, memories, biblical myths, found families, pregnancy, and religious psychosis. It is twisted and weird, and for me it stayed weird which is what I wanted. Had as much sexual fear setting and Giger vibes as Alien especially that horrifying box. Maybe I shouldn't have listened to the naysayers last year and just trusted my gut.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Finished season 1, and that was fantastic all the way through. Way more exploration about motherhood, parenting, memories, biblical myths, found families, pregnancy, and religious psychosis. It is twisted and weird, and for me it stayed weird which is what I wanted. Maybe I shouldn't have listened to the naysayers last year and just trusted my gut.
It is a great show all the way.

The final moment is a bit out there, and it's pretty common that shows don't live up to potential, so I get people being apprehensive about where things go... but the series as a whole was excellent, imo. Glad you finally found it!

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
It is a great show all the way.

The final moment is a bit out there, and it's pretty common that shows don't live up to potential, so I get people being apprehensive about where things go... but the series as a whole was excellent, imo. Glad you finally found it!
The final moment was I felt a culmination of all the Biblical Eden allegories, which I loved and am excited for the new season. Me and my wife are fully invested.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Congratulations, you have just watched "The Ridley Scott Episodes."

I still loved the rest, others in this thread... decidedly less so. You can certainly tell when Ridley departs.

Is he directing any episodes of season 2

The aesthetic he brought to the show was stunning. But I was fine with the other episodes too. The mother and father androids were so good

Also if this black superman movie actually goes to production Abubakar Salim is the man for the job

TortoiseTesticleOil

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 2, 2021
The first two episodes are amazing but when they start with all the religion bullshit and Ragnar coming , verything starts going south. And that ending with flying snakes and shit... For the balls of the almighty, wtf. Still pretty excited for season 2 :)

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I loved this wacky show.

Father and Mother are such great characters.

Too bad they couldn't maintain the budget/quality of the first episode throughout the first season but I still loved it.

BarcaTheGreat

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Searched and came to this thread right after I noticed a 2nd season trailer was out. IMDb ratings are terrible especially the last few episodes but I wanna give it a try... I love scifi. Heck I really enjoyed Foundation. So what is this series like? Any comparables without spoiling the story too much?