• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jan 10, 2018
The defense force in here...

It never had a chance to release on Switch. The odds were literal 0%. They took advantage of Switch hype to gain attention for their product.
Not really misleading, though. They just made Switch owners believe it was coming to the platform without actually knowing whether it'll ever happen or not.

I go with Nate

So how did they benefit?

You are paying attention

BuggyMike

Nov 2, 2017
An insinuation isn't all that different from an accusation.

The trailer looks more like a proof of concept, and at the end, it doesn't include the Switch as the platforms it's coming to.

They have been questioned and they responded to the questioning. They've done their due. After that, if they felt the person was being disruptive, it's their prerogative to block him.

Well it's not just the trailer, Rainway for Switch was heavily promoted in general for a product that hadn't even been approved by Nintendo. From footage of Witches 3 to Cuphead being streamed through it. Doesn't seem like a smart idea to be promoting something to a userbase until you're absolutely sure it will happen, because when that thing doesn't happen, you rightfully get some backlash. I mean if they are truly being honest here, they handled it terribly imo.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Someone blocked someone on Twitter. I don't see why that's a huge deal personally.

Because a company is using the switch as false advertisement and the guy politely asked them and their response was to block them...seem pretty suspect if you ask me. Plus they blocked Jonneh and Razorbeamz so it seems like they will block anyone that will challenge them. You don't do that unless you have something to hide.

I'm blocked too lol
DmWbn9IXoAASKdh.jpg

Hmmmm.
thinking-face_1f914.png

They have unblocked him and it seems this matter will be solved via DM:

https://twitter.com/RainwayApp/status/1037407536016777216

They shouldn't have blocked him in the first place.

...i dont know what the takeaway is....

Two Chicken tikka kebab with Naan,
One seek kebab with lots of chili sauce,
One donner kebab,
A portion of chips,
and one spicy pizza.

Does anybody else want anything?

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
For those who keep complaining about the thread: The issue isn't that it's not coming to Switch. The issue is that they heavily promoted Switch functionality to garner publicity, only to claim that it won't be available on Switch, at least for the time being. It was advertised in bad faith, and rather than just accepting criticism, they are blindly blocking their critics on a public forum.

On-topic: Is it even legal to announce something in this manner as a means to promote your product? Could I, in theory, make an indie game, advertise a Switch release, and then never release it on Switch? (From a legal standpoint)

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
I kinda hope they're being at least halfway honest and DO bring it out on Switch. It's still an attractive idea. The twitter handle admin isn't necessarily behaving in a mature way but the Dev team might still want this

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because a company is using the switch as false advertisement and the guy politely asked them and their response was to block them...seem pretty suspect if you ask me. Plus they blocked Jonneh and Razorbeamz so it seems like they will block anyone that will challenge them. You don't do that unless you have something to hide.

Hmmmm.
thinking-face_1f914.png

One donner kebab,
A portion of chips,
and one spicy pizza.

I you have no idea whatsoever what false advertising means.
For those who keep complaining about the thread: The issue isn't that it's not coming to Switch. The issue is that they heavily promoted Switch functionality to garner publicity, only to claim that it won't be available on Switch, at least for the time being. It was advertised in bad faith, and rather than just accepting criticism, they are blindly blocking their critics on a public forum.

On-topic: Is it even legal to announce something in this manner as a means to promote your product? Could I, in theory, make an indie game, advertise a Switch release, and then never release it on Switch? (From a legal standpoint)
They've been pretty clear since the beggining that they were pending Nintendo's approval. They never once said that it was approved. It's not a paid product either. It also works on the Switch fine using the pseudo-browser.

razorbeamz

Jan 16, 2018

Ubisoft did it, and for something that wasn't an indie game at that.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You could. Nicalis did that quite a bit during the Wii U/3DS era. Yatagarasu for example was originally planned for 3DS, but they moved it to PS4, Xbox One, PC and Vita. This was a game that was funded on Indiegogo that Nicalis picked up much like 90's Arcade Racer that disappeared from a platform they were planning for. Also got a name change to Legend of Raven and I believe 90's Arcade Racer got a name change too but we honestly haven't heard about that one in a very long time.

Basically, don't be Nicalis.

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY
What's misleading about the marketing?

They said a Switch version could be coming pending approval.

The person who got blocked never insinuated that the Switch version wasn't coming at all. So I don't understand the title of this thread.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
"We're so 'super sorry' that we blocked you. Just be glad we're not 'super duper sorry' and swatted you as well."

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
What's misleading about the marketing?

They said a Switch version could be coming pending approval.

The person who got blocked never insinuated that the Switch version wasn't coming at all. So I don't understand the title of this thread.

They put the Switch front and center of their marketing because of the hype surrounding the console. Their commercial literally begins with the Switch and playing Cuphead on it through the app.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
The Rainway thing was clear from the first moment that it was never going to be approved by Nintendo, the way they kept insisting that yes to get publicity was embarrassing to watch.

Vagabond

Oct 26, 2017
United States
Eh, isn't Rainway supposed to be playable via browser as well? Perhaps it was predicated on the assumption Nintendo would eventually have a working browser. And I'm sure it'll eventually be made available on the Switch by less-official methods eventually if it picks up.

Are the people complaining because they donated money in the past? Or did they put money behind the app in any way? Or are they upset because they posted about it running on Switch on a message board?

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Eh, isn't Rainway supposed to be playable via browser as well? Perhaps it was predicated on the assumption Nintendo would eventually have a working browser. And I'm sure it'll eventually be made available on the Switch by less-official methods eventually if it picks up.

Are the people complaining because they donated money in the past? Or did they put money behind the app in any way? Or are they upset because they posted about it running on Switch on a message board?
I do not understand much about laws, but advertising a commercial product on a platform that you can only access by hacking does not sound especially legal.

UCBooties

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Pennsylvania, USA

Hmmmm.
thinking-face_1f914.png

One donner kebab,
A portion of chips,
and one spicy pizza.

Do they have that paneer appetizer with the spinach sauce? I'll take one if they do.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
The question is if they intentionally lied or not...I mean, did they ever have it running on Switch or not? This may actually be more of a Nintendo thing, than a Rainway thing. Is it possible they was developing for it, but just never got approval, and then later on started to realize Nintendo was never going to play ball?

I mean if we are going to call out Rainway, we might as well call out Nintendo for it as well. From the sounds of it they got Microsoft's approval.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
The question is if they intentionally lied or not...I mean, did they ever have it running on Switch or not? This may actually be more of a Nintendo thing, than a Rainway thing. Is it possible they was developing for it, but just never got approval, and then later on started to realize Nintendo was never going to play ball?

I mean if we are going to call out Rainway, we might as well call out Nintendo for it as well. From the sounds of it they got Microsoft's approval.
They either lied or were deluded, it was clear that Nintendo was not going to approve such a thing ever.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017

Things are advertised all the time that don't come to fruition. Being on a gaming entusiast forum we should know that more than most. Something gets announced one day, and canceled the next. Something gets advertised, but then later cut. Things like that happen all the time in development.

Vagabond

Oct 26, 2017
United States
I do not understand much about laws, but advertising a commercial product on a platform that you can only access by hacking does not sound especially legal.
It's 100% free and open source, correct? If Nintendo ever flips the browser switch, it'd be legal. There are people who have tested it on the Switch using the internal browser, we're just waiting for approval or something to change on Nintendos side. It's too far in the grey area and I'd give the devs the benefit of the doubt in this case.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Why is that so clear though? And if so, why is Microsoft willing to play ball while Nintendo isnt?
Because Microsoft seeks to unify the Windows 10 and Xbox One Apps and for them to make streaming a PC game on your Xbox One means that you have a PC anyway.

It is not the same position at all.

Microsoft benefits from the PC market, Nintendo does not.

Phamit

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if they ever worked on a app for the a switch, since I don't why they would get a devkit from NoA.

Al3x1s

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Greece
User Warned: Drive By Posting
People already called them out on it, getting blocked on twitter is not an event, apply to Kotaku for a career boost instead.
079Slowpoke.png

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
Because Microsoft seeks to unify the Windows 10 and Xbox One Apps and for them to make streaming a PC game on your Xbox One means that you have a PC anyway.

It is not the same position at all.

Rainway goes beyond PC as far as Im aware.

EDIT: you're just talking about PC games being streamed.

So how come Nintendo doesnt want PC games streamed on Nintendo platforms? We know the answer, but does that make it right?

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rainway goes beyond PC as far as Im aware.

EDIT: you're just talking about PC games being streamed.
No, that's really what Rainway is. It lets you stream your PC games to other devices like another computer, a mobile device, Xbox, or Switch. Nothing about streaming mobile titles to other systems as far as I'm aware or found on their site. That's their vision of PC gaming, to be able to play them anywhere and being hardware agnostic.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Lol that tweet is not polite at all. He's two words away from calling them Scammy McScamsters. It's disingenuous as fuck (from you and the OP) to act like the guy was trying to engage in actual discourse. He's trying to score internet brownie points.

Sammy Samusu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Beyonce's Womb
Some people are just clueless. The truth always comes out.

And maybe we should do something about Capcom and Square Enix for their fake promises too. Especially now with the upcoming PS5 announcement. You know Sony will get them on stage to do what they usually do.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
It was misleading from the start and they even had a trailer with Switch as a large focus, and then they went quiet on Switch to no longer being in active development.

Just a reminder for everyone, here's the trailer.

Watched this trailer, read the description and I still have no idea what "Rainway" is supposed to be. Plus, why the fuck would you have someone playing while walking in a "real scenario simulation" trailer? Who the hell approved that shit lol.

DR2K

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I don't understand the purpose of this thread, someone got blocked and we have a thread because...?

I don't understand the purpose of your post. Someone makes a thread about something you don't understand and instead of reading all these informed posts, you waste your time letting everyone know you don't understand. Probably in an attempt to diminish the discussion, but that's disingenuous and you're above that, right?

If you genuinely don't understand I'll be glad to PM you some reading materials.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Can some one explain to me who is hurt in this story? Switch owners, the developers, nintendo? Did they take switch owners money? Was this a kick starter? And if everyone was so certain it would never come why the outrage that it isn't?

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
well, it did sound too good to be true. I can't see any of the big 3 support this tbh lol

Sounds like a good ol Mighty No. 9

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia

This happens all the time.

I see both sides of the argument here but honestly, I'll give Rainway the benefit of the doubt. I doubt they advertised it fully knowing they would never come out on Switch, in which case, play ball.

Nitpicker_Red

Nov 3, 2017
Just a reminder for everyone, here's the trailer.

Yup, playing on the exclusives for shock value:
rainway_switch_cuphead_2.jpg

"Look! Play Cuphead on the Switch!"
rainway_switch_cuphead_1.jpg

Except that... at 1:50, in the "Coming Soon" screen, there's no Nintendo Switch logo, only every other platform Rainway was planning to get on.
rainway_coming_soon_logos.png

Probably to cover their bases by clarifying that "it wasn't in the plans at that time".
At the time of the video, can one prove they never intended to put on Switch??
I hearsay that they had a tech demo webapp working that used the web browser trick (exploit that already got patched once), but they stopped it (a bit late after appearing in various PR) because it would (did) potentially sour the negotiations with Nintendo for getting a dev kit for the actual app.
I think that's the "limited version" they are talking about there

Last edited:

Mondy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was incredibly naive to believe that Nintendo would allow this. As if they suddenly ceased being an insular and ultra conservative company for the sake of this app that nearly nobody had heard of.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
It was definitely a cheap move to build 100% of their early buzz off a Switch announcement that was clearly never going to be approved by Nintendo. I mean, it worked - and the service is genuinely good enough that it was probably worth it - but it did leave a bad taste in my mouth.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
It's borderline harassment to keep perusing someone who has blocked you. Companies block people on Twitter all the time. Odds are in the case of Rainway they have like 1 person running the account.

There's an argument for discussing if the President of the U.S. should block his constituents (he shouldn't be able to), but you're not forced to listen to anyone you don't want to on Twitter. Encouraging further harassment is wrong.