• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
I think part of this is that Fallout 76 was meant to get people to install the bethesda.net launcher, but then Fallout 76 ended up being a shitty game so not enough people did. Rage 2 would have come out pretty quietly and many wouldn't have noticed.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
But more importantly, will they all be available on the Epic Games Store, the preferred game launcher of all true PC gamers?

mrtl

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's fantastic. Hopefully you don't need external launchers or accounts regardless of the games being on Steam.

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
I think part of this is that Fallout 76 was meant to get people to install the bethesda.net launcher, but then Fallout 76 ended up being a shitty game so not enough people did. Rage 2 would have come out pretty quietly and many wouldn't have noticed.

I'm thinking something like this along with the preorder numbers for those games on their store being... lower than expected.

Also, what the hell is Cyberpilot.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
Pre-orders must have been extremely low. Or perhaps Bethesda saw an opportunity now several long awaited games are skipping Steam?

Anyway, it's great news, the more choice the better. I don't mind using other launchers, but games on my wistlist often means I'll be buying them sooner.

SpoonSpatula

Oct 27, 2017
My memory is a little hazy, but were there ever any official announcements that RAGE 2, DOOM Eternal, etc would be launching on the Bethesda store/launcher exclusively?

Apo

Oct 28, 2017
Fantastic news!

Will those games still require the Bethesda Launcher in the background like Ubisoft games do with uplay or will it just be Steam?

Deleted member 4044

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My memory is a little hazy, but were there ever any official announcements that RAGE 2, DOOM Eternal, etc would be launching on the Bethesda store/launcher exclusively?

Rage 2 was only available for pre-order through the Bethesda store/launcher. Can't remember if the trailer for the game included that explicitly, though. Doom Eternal wasn't announced for pre-order anywhere yet, but many (including myself) were speculating that it would be exclusive.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I'll probably buy Rage 2, and I'm definitely buying Doom Eternals, and I'll be picking them up on steam for sure.

Now don't pull that Ubisoft U Play shit and make steam launch the Bethesda launcher.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
These games are big enough to get that bigger cut on Steam, too, so it only makes sense. It's sad that this is something to celebrate.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
VR games can still work with VR APIs even if they're not on those storefronts. The Epic Store version of Subnautica works fine in VR for example.
While this is true, there's no PC VR audience is looking for VR games outside of Steam and Oculus.
(Also, for Oculus HW, people need to enable some setting first to even be able to run stuff that isn't from their store. As if your PC was a cellphone. Brrr)

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
RAGE 2 yes, I think the game had a Steam page prior to that?

Nah. That it began popping up on third-party stores like Fanatical and GMG but not Steam is what got people wondering.

Now the question becomes what keys third-party storefronts will receive: Steam or Bethesda?

I imagine the retail key situation will remain unchanged. There are no retail packages in the Steam registry, just the current store subs, the post-release store subs, and the beta testing and developer autogrant subs.

SFLUFAN

Oct 27, 2017
Alexandria, VA
Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure that the situation will be identical to how Ubisoft distributed Uplay keys to third-party storefronts for their games that were also available on Steam.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
This doesn't really change anything though. Unless Bethesda will be distributing Steam keys to third party resellers, this will effectively be a choice of paying significantly more or overlooking Bethesda's recent flourish of incompetence.

Given that choice I'd go with buying at GMG and registering bullshit information for my Bethesda account.
Like, Rage 2 is 625 SEK on Steam, 415 SEK for a Bethesda key on GMG. I ain't up for paying 50% more.

Either that or I'll wait for Bethesda to drop the price on Steam for the winter sale or whatever.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure that the situation will be identical to how Ubisoft distributed Uplay keys to third-party storefronts for their games that were also available on Steam.
Would be very unfortunate, because Uplay is at least a decent store/launcher. Bethesda.net is pretty horrible and I wont be buying any key for it. I might have to pass on Rage 2 still until a Steam sale (not worth $60 to me), but I would definitely buy Doom Eternal on Steam for $60 no problem.

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Good news for everyone. I'd have gotten Doom and Rage 2 if they were Bethesda Launcher exclusive, but I prefer it this way.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Well I can honestly say now that Epic's blunder in how they handled some of the things on their store has lead to others re-evaluating their own stores.

More Options is good for everyone.

Thank god I can finally buy Doom:Eternal now.