• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
something something "can we play the ds version for the retrospective"

I still remember reading about that & being super excited, then getting it a month before Christmas/getting the DS & just staring at how small & flat the cartridge was. I enjoyed it so much I got all 150 stars twice.

Now, it's kind of nuts we have a method (that's legal) where we can play not only SM64 but Sunshine & Galaxy portable. My teenage self would've been blown over portable N64, GCN, & Wii titles.

....though man, after hours of Odyssey, going to 64's physics & moveset feels....heavy.
The DS version was my first exposure to Mario 64, so going "back" to the original with 3D All Stars is a little bit of a funhouse mirror experience for me. On the one hand, so much is just like how I remember it, but on the other hand, so much isn't.

The main thing I noticed straight up when playing the 3D All Stars version was just how janky the camera was. There was a good seven year or so gap between the original release and the DS port, so it makes sense that lessons had been learnt in the meantime, but I am surprised the auto camera was that bad. It shudders and gets stuck at awkward spots in many places where it tries hard to avoid clipping into the geometry. It's a bit disorienting, as is the frame rate.

The second thing that the actual 3D models all look goofy. SM64DS redid the geometry for character models and I think I remember reading that the Mario model in the DS version actually had simpler geometry than the original, despite looking much better.

The third thing is that the controls feel "off" to me. Years of playing Galaxy 1/2 and 3D Land/World have me trained to expect a certain weight and momentum to Mario. In truth he feels "heavier" than I'm used to as well - Mario is slower to turn, slower to start running and harder to stop. Don't get me started on the flying controls - they're awful. It never feels like flight as much as trying to stay on top of a mechanical bull.

Finally, the weirdness of the game is something I remembered from the DS version, but at the time I assumed I was playing tweaked levels or extra content or something. Things like the warp zones in the alcoves, the way you unlock the ghost house, the hidden wall, looking up at the sun in the lobby etc. aren't signposted by coins or a landmark and depend on the player exploring the hub world as though it was a level. Galaxy might signpost that something might be hidden somewhere by having a platform sitting out by its lonesome or having a small trail of coins leading to an alternate path. There's often none of that here and you just have to jump up to every single wall niche just in case something is hidden.

It's cool in that I love stumbling across secret levels, but also bizarre from a gameplay point of view in that if you walked away from the game for a while and forgot where a secret was, you might never find it again. If anything, it reminds me of bombing every wall for hidden passages in every 2D Metroid game.

OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Next week according to the sentient Twitter (which I prefer to think of as Greg), Mario 64 Retroactive and an announcement. But first, a regulation episode.

New Business: An army of Steves destroys Smash, Kingdom Hearts: Melody of Memory (demo), SolSeraph, ActRaiser, 13 Sentinels, Hide&Dance, Cook, Serve, Delicious! 2!!, Wolfenstein: Youngblood
Email: Roll your own All-Stars
Outro: Demon's Crest - Beyond the Colosseum
Emails: Retroactive comments due Thursday

Download: Here
Time: 2'10"19

OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
LTTP, but realized in the midst of riding a wave of emotion that I missed something.

First half: Nintendo Partner Direct reaction
Second half: Hades, Jedi: Fallen Order, Doom Eternal, State of Decay 2, Castlevania Anniversary Collection, Into the Breach
Outro: The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask - Song of Healing
Emails: Which may or may not be used on the live show (November 21)

Time: 2'23"19

OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Very disappointed that there was no mention of Connery's turn in Finding Forrester which basically defined internet humour for years.

Listener Mail: Nintendo financials, where's the series revivals, RIP former RFN guest Sean Connery
New Business: Bloodstained Curse of the Moon 2, Moving Out, Part-Time UFO, The Walking Dead: A New Frontier, Castlevania: Harmony of Despair, Wallachia: Reign of Dracula
Outro: Hypnospace Outlaw - Ready to Shave
Emails: Unlike the time I passed the Jeopardy test, these won't get spam filtered. (RIP Alex Trebek.)

Time: 2'33"17

OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
The dichotomy of man: An insane episode title and a really enlightening discussion on the digital divide.

New Business: Early Turok thoughts, Xbox Series X (The World's Most Powerful Video Game Console ™ ), Yakuza: Like a Dragon, Observer (Switch version), Forgotten Anne
Listener Mail: Is the digital future killing gaming and how will people innovate around it?
Outro: Paper Mario: The Origami King - Snif City
Emails: There's an achievement for taking up the entire segment.

Time: 2'25"06

Confession: I will be all digital until the day I own a home outright, because it means less things to move.

OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Live show article is now live (will include the link to the stream):

Starts at 1pm ET. New Business kicks off, including "Jonathan Metts Goes To Hades", and call-ins start at 2:30 pm. There will also be giveaways based on donations to relevant charities - send your receipts to the podcast email and you could win everything up to and including a Super Mario Bros Game & Watch.

Crimm

Oct 29, 2017
OR OTHER PRIZES WHICH I DONT HAVE THE NWR PRIZE LIST BECAUSE I DIDNT PLAN

OH GOD WHY DIDNT I PLAN

The Episode 700 Post
OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Presenting "OK, that happened" in distilled podcast form.

New Business: New Play Control Pikmin, Xbox Series X (The World's Most Powerful Gaming Console), Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity, Jonny Metts Goes To Hades
Live Questions: The ideal Warriors, Syrenne McNulty vs. PlayStation 5, learning from Smash characters, Greg's import history, everyone else is on PC so wither NIntendo, are people harder on Nintendo
Outro: Xenoblade Chronicles X - No. EX 01 (as requested by a man of culture)
Charity Contest: Make a donation to a charity of your choice, and we'll get a live Q&A show in the new year. Forward your receipts to rfn @ nintendoworldreport . com by the end of the week - we need about $70 and you might win some prizes as well.

Time: 4'57"52

Last edited:
OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Good news, everyone: We have unlocked the live Q&A in January, along with live Disaster: Day of Crisis and Jackbox.

New Business: Star Wars Squadrons (PS4 for VR purposes), Lonely Mountains: Downhill, Tetris Effect Connected, Dragon Quest XI S (Xbox Series X The World's Most Powerful Video Game Console version), Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen, Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity
Listener Mail: Is it wrong to pick up knockoffs on a Switch?
Outro: Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light - Chapter Start
Emails: For burning questions that can't wait until January's live show.

Time: 2'36"08

Also see: James attempting to create a Pokemon tier list. It's four and a half hours long.

OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Faith is the evidence of things unseen, so nobody show this to Jon.

New Business: Ghouls 'n Ghosts returns, hot or 20 Questions about Sephiroth, Burnout Paradise Remastered (Switch), Hades, NHL '94 Rewind, Dragon Quest XI
Listener Mail: BC as bait for switchers, Nintendo v competitive Smash round 24,916
Outro: Ghouls 'n Ghosts - Village of Decay (GBA ver.)
Emails: Submit your requests for dunking

Time: 2'41"56

OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Last episode until the new year, check the Twitter for streams during the holidays.

New Business: The final Bravely demo, Sephiroth in Smash
Second half: PixelJunk Eden 2, Mechstermination Corps, Contra: Hard Corps, Xbox Series X The World's Most Powerful Console, Dragon Quest XI S, Project xCloud
Outro: Final Fantasy VII - J-E-N-O-V-A
Emails: Did anyone send in a request for a predictions show?

Time: 2'09"32

Fei

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like a two week break for the show? Hope you guys get a nice recharge, and I'll use that Patreon to tide me over.

Crimm

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah. We ended up doing a two week break. The plan was to pay off our streams debt during the holidays but *shrug*.

That's probably coming this weekend, along with Episode 704.

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
To echo what Fei said, you guys all deserve a well-needed simultaneous break. I'm sure NWR's sister podcasts and other Nintendo podcasts can fill in the void.

I've been continuing to listen and lurk in the thread (The load times on the PS4 version Yakuza: Like A Dragon are annoyingly tolerable. But just barely.). 700 episodes and going strong is a hell of an accomplishment.

OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Someone somewhere is going to offer Jon a lot of money for an autographed cat helmet.

New Business: Paradise Killer, Monster Hunter Rise (demo), Ori and the Will of the Wisps, Call of the Sea, New Pokemon Snap/Bowser's Fury trailers, Halo, Double Dragon Neon, Scott Pilgrim, Kunio-Kun Collection
Listener Mail: Purchases missed and regretted, fantasy booking the acquisition of Next Level (which devolves into fantasy booking)
Outro: Wario's Woods (NES) - Stage Clear
Emails: The only push Waluigi deserves involves a very steep cliff.

Time: 2'19"01

OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
The way to invest in NTDOY is to look at the NoA Twitter replies and invest in the complete opposite fashion. EG: They're calling for a Zelda direct this week, so when the Partner Showcase happens adjust your position.

New Business: Kingdom Hearts: 358 Melodies/2, why is Jon trying to buy a C64 Mini, Fallen Legions: Revenants, The Wonderful 101 Remastered
Listener Mail: "Konami. Discuss.", the actual state of the scalper bait (PS5)
Outro: Kingdom Hearts 0.2 Birth By Sleep A Fragmentary Passage - Wave of Darkness I (editor's note: We quit)
Emails: I almost couldn't post this one because of the reference to the site that's banned for a reason

Time: 2'22"35

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
I look forward to the reactions of "THEY LOCALIZED FAMICOM DETECTIVE CLUB" on the next episode.

OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
No Pikachat but a fine Sophie's Choice.

New Business: Children of Morta, Bravely Default (the first localized one), the "C64", Ghosts 'n Goblins: Resurrection
Listener Mail: Getting past little things in games, Bravely Default II vs Monster Hunter Rise
Outro: Pokemon Black and White - Route 10
Emails: If I can deal with White Clouds (checks) nine times, y'all can do anything

Time: 2'18"05

Two other notes: Patron pod for February went up on Monday with the continuation of the RFN Podcastic Universe and the next Retroactive is...
Resident Evil Revelaitons for 3DS / Wii U / Switch / etc

OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Ways I do not recommend for losing weight: Go in the hospital for eleven days and have surgery (which would require anaesthetic) postponed three times before being cancelled outright. It took me down six inches around the waist, but still.

First half: Pikachat, Pyra and Mythra and new-game locked spirits are here
New Business: Bravely Default The New Class, Children of Morta, Ring Fit Adventure
Listener Mail: How do you get off the games and lose some weight?
Outro: Soma Bringer - The One Who Soars Over The World
Emails: Also works for comments on Resident Evil Revelaitons

Time: 2'37"22

Numb

Oct 25, 2017
Ways I do not recommend for losing weight: Go in the hospital for eleven days and have surgery (which would require anaesthetic) postponed three times before being cancelled outright. It took me down six inches around the waist, but still.

First half: Pikachat, Pyra and Mythra and new-game locked spirits are here
New Business: Bravely Default The New Class, Children of Morta, Ring Fit Adventure
Listener Mail: How do you get off the games and lose some weight?
Outro: Soma Bringer - The One Who Soars Over The World
Emails: Also works for comments on Resident Evil Revelaitons

Time: 2'37"22
Good lord havent listened to this podcast in years
Good week to turn into it again

Deleted member 43657

User requested account closure
Banned
May 19, 2018
Don't know if the gang reads this thread, but I have an email question that I was told I could send here (this is [email protected], right?).

I think you have ALL reviewed games in the past, is there any review score you regret?

Fei

Oct 25, 2017
Ways I do not recommend for losing weight: Go in the hospital for eleven days and have surgery (which would require anaesthetic) postponed three times before being cancelled outright. It took me down six inches around the waist, but still
Jesus, hope you're healing up alright now!

Crimm

Oct 29, 2017
Don't know if the gang reads this thread, but I have an email question that I was told I could send here (this is [email protected], right?).

I think you have ALL reviewed games in the past, is there any review score you regret?

Close. rfn @ Nintendoworldreport.com

Unless that's the joke, because I say it a lot. At which point, well played.

To give the answer to your question in short: YEP. But not the way you might expect. I will say there are ones I regret before I've even made it live, but I had to "make a call" and nothing was going to make me happy. I'll add this to the pile if you don't want to send it in.

Deleted member 43657

Banned
May 19, 2018
Close. rfn @ Nintendoworldreport.com

Unless that's the joke, because I say it a lot. At which point, well played.

To give the answer to your question in short: YEP. But not the way you might expect. I will say there are ones I regret before I've even made it live, but I had to "make a call" and nothing was going to make me happy. I'll add this to the pile if you don't want to send it in.
thatsthejoke.jpg

And sure! Add it to the pile. Thought it might rouse some good conversation. Thanks!

Crimm

Oct 29, 2017
You say that, but we have got non-ironic emails asking why we don't say the email more.

I cannot even process this thought, but unless they were 100% committed to the bit, repeated attempts to get them to confirm they were messing with us resulted in no reply

OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
James is playing an RPG, Gui's playing Pikmin, Greg's going retro, and Jon... isn't spending money? Are we in the mirror universe?

New Business: Bravely the 3rd, Pikmin 3 Deluxe, Ghosts 'n Goblins Resurrection, "A tale of restraint"
Listener Mail: Gaming while a parent, systems and games admired from afar
Outro: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate - Brachydios Fight
Emails: Once again, that's RFN at NINTENDOWORLDREPORT dot com

Time: 2'27"51

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
Four words James: Kuukoyumi 3 impressions: When? I suppose after you get Bravely Default out of your system and out into the world. I answered my own question. 😆

And I have to say, I really enjoyed the discussion on the importance of getting out of the house to exercise during the pandemic. It lit a fire on my ass the hit gym and go for a brisk walk afterwards. I'm still working on getting myself to optimally hit the gym four days a week. But two days has been a good step up so far as I look to rebalance my Zoom stuff plus personal time. With daylight savings yet again, I can see myself heading outside more often. Even if it's to bike downtown (I'm in NYC for reference).

Crimm

Oct 29, 2017
I JUST HEARD ABOUT IT BEING A THING YESTERDAY. IMPRESSIONS PROBABLY ON STREAM MAYBE TOMRROW I DONT KNOW I FAIL TO PLAN EVERYTHING.

I'm a little excited.

Yeah, I really felt pretty self-conscious devoting that much time to something somewhat outside our wheelhouse, but I'm glad the reaction has been positive and I'm proud of you for getting out there. Don't sweat not being at your target, 2 times a week and walks more regularly is a great start.

Like we said, anything is better than nothing. Personally, I've found it stuck better when I added a little bit at a time, giving myself time for it to become "habit" and then added something else. Trying to add a lot of stuff at once just made it seem more tedious.

I'm trying to add bicycling to the repertoire right now, but just know that anyone who uses the phrase "it's like learning to ride a bike" is actually telling you "yes, you can forget how to do this thing and wind up in a ditch."

GuillaumeNWR

Feb 19, 2018
One thing I wish I had said on the podcast when James said that at first, you might lose weight quickly and feel great about it, is that it can be considered unsafe to lose too much weight fast. Doctors say you should aim for 1 to 2 pounds a week.

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
One thing I wish I had said on the podcast when James said that at first, you might lose weight quickly and feel great about it, is that it can be considered unsafe to lose too much weight fast. Doctors say you should aim for 1 to 2 pounds a week.
You can bump that up to 1% of your body weight if you're starting from a higher base (say >200lb). At that weight your daily calorie burn is higher than at lower weights even without exercise, so you can lose weight quite fast while still eating reasonable amounts.

The first few weeks of weight loss is also typically larger anyway, but also illusory. A lot of it is water weight that your body lets go of because you've switched to a healthier diet (which is typically lower in sodium).

Crimm

Oct 29, 2017
You're both right, but my point was that the early surge, while not sustainable, creates a really strong sense of "this is worth it." And that encouragement is huge early on while you're still just trying to take a "plan" to a "habit."

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
I'm thankful I'm not overweight. I'm in my early 30s and still have high metabolism (nothing lasts forever though) *knocks on wood* But yeah, being sedentary is a big issue. My therapist said it's okay to be forgiving of oneself during these times.

And I totally lack self-control when it comes to eating snacks. I can go through an entire bag of chips and salsa without realizing it. xD I have to try some of those things out to hide my snacks somewhere after eating say 6 cookies. Old habits die hard.

I recently heard that the BMI is a load of crap meant to fat shame people. Which makes sense it's measured with a caliper.

I saw Budget Gamer's review of Kuukoyumi 3 and he enjoyed it. He thought it's the best one in the series due to how it emphasizes inconsiderate stuff more so than the prequels. I'm ready for that JJ take.

Crimm

Oct 29, 2017
BMI is an indicator and it's meant to be used as a rule-of-thumb. It's a basic equation that factors weight against height. If someone is significantly heavier or lighter than average people of their height it doesn't mean there's a problem in and of itself. It's a tool that says there's something worth further evaluation. If you're just jacked, your BMI is going to be very high, but you're obviously not obese.

There's big boned, which I am, and means my BMI will always be on the higher end. And then there's "big boned" which I was using as an excuse, but really just meant I needed to cut body fat. BMI is down now, and it no longer shows up as something to research when I get regular physicals. This is all part of why all exercise plans talk about starting with a visit to your doctor, they can help assess needs.

I just haven't had time to do Kuukiyomi 3 yet. There was a cool "Inconsider It" mode in 2, which was a fun pun. I'll almost certainly stream my time with it; the game is too weird not to.

OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia

Deleted member 43657

Banned
May 19, 2018
James, I share your neurosis. I too have a completed spirits list and I was annoyed about Sophia.

So I bought P5S. Problem solved.
I was gonna buy it anyway.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
I now know James' pain of missing Smash spirits. I somehow didn't hear of the MH Rise spirit event and now there's a whopping 5 slots that're empty upon discovering after doing the Bowser's Fury fights. I figured they were also a save data bonus like with P5S & Ghosts 'n Goblins.

Uuuggghhhhhhhhhh.

Crimm

Oct 29, 2017
I try to tweet out when I get them for just that reason; I only know because someone tells me so I try to pay it forward.