• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 8, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
So after using the xbox 360 controller for damn near 14 years it has become increasingly hard to get hold of new ones since there only seems to be shady bootlegs on the market if any at all.

It pains me to switch to a new controller because the 360 controller is my all time favorite but atlas the time is here, the xbox one/x controller seems to be my best option.

What is the best wireless way to connect it to the pc, i vaguely remember some thread here where some people warned not to connect it using bluetooth, does the xbox one controller work with the xbox 360 dongle?

Good night sweet prince.
microsoft-xbox-360-controller-fr-windows.jpg

mrHzXxl.gif

Also if anyone has a stash of new wireless xbox 360 controllers gathering dust somewhere i'll gladly buy them from you.

Last edited:

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
The Series X controller is much closer to the 360 controller than the X1 controller is. The shape is more like the 360 controller, which I also preferred. Would definitely suggest that

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
It's time for you to ascend to the Series X controller. It's about as perfect as a controller can get.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
The Series X controller is much closer to the 360 controller than the X1 controller is. The shape is more like the 360 controller, which I also preferred. Would definitely suggest that

What? It's barely any different than the Xbox One. I wouldn't encourage someone to take the plunge based on similar feel.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Meh, I loved the controller at the time (particularly compared to the Dualshock 3), but I think the One S/Series X/PS4/PS5 controllers are all better, honestly.

Trike

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
RIP

I use the Xbox One controller with the USB dongle, no idea if the 360 one works though. I had issues when trying to use the bluetooth connection but it could just be that I had a cheap bluetooth adapter for my PC. I'll probably be upgrading to the Series X controller once design lab opens up for it.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Will never forget opening up my 360 and showing my dad the controllers are wireless now lol. Was such a cool moment.

NinjaGarden

Oct 25, 2017
I bought a few with the rotating d-pad when I saw they were becoming scarce. Xbox One controllers just don't feel comfortable to me plus the few I've had all had trigger issues.

OP
OP
KrillinLikeAVillan
Nov 8, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
I picked up a blue series x controller and it's working fine over bluetooth after updating the controller's firmware with the xbox accessories app on win 10. It was dropping out like crazy prior to updating. FWIW my bluetooth is from a tp-link pcie wifi6/bluetooth 5 adapter

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
Last year after my 360 controller with thousands of hours on it died I decided to buy a bunch of used ones to refurb and use. If you are buying them on ebay check out the pictures and check for the four raised dimples on each of the analog sticks. The less use the controller has the more distinct the dimples will be. I gambled on 5 $10ish controllers and ended up with 4 decent controllers after being disassembled and thoroughly cleaned. You can even buy replacement parts to customize it or remove the rumble motors while you are at it. I should be good on 360 controllers for awhile. If you decide to refurb used controllers be prepared to clean some filth.

HTupolev

Oct 27, 2017
The wired controller that I bought at the same time as my Halo 3 SE 360 in 2007 is still kicking... it was getting pretty awful because the thumbsticks have been smoothed out for an eternity, but I just recently opened it up and replaced them. Looks a bit different because the old thumbsticks were grey and replacements black, but now it feels good as new. :)

Miles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego, CA
I had the same issue until I found someone in TJ that was selling a bunch of them for 25$. Now I have a few to last me a couple more years before I finally move on.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
the latest Xbox Wireless Adapter supports up to 8 XB gamepads on a single PC. not that you'll necessarily need that, but I think it's a nifty touch. you might be able to find the older, slightly bigger Xbox Wireless Adapter for cheaper used? works identically, except it only supports 4 gamepads at once. and +1 to the person who recommended getting a new retail Xbox Series gamepad bundle w/ the wireless adapter, unless you wanna roll the dice with used gamepads.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
They... didn't change the shape from the last revision of the X1 controller?
The angle that the sides taper at is sharper, making the controller feel smaller in the hands. The grips are also shorter and thinner, allowing my fingers to reach further. As someone with smaller hands, it's much easier to reach the right stick and face buttons than with the X1 controller. They are different

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
Skip the One controller and get the Series controller. It's the best Xbox controller I've used (maybe the elites are better, but I never bought one) and its dpad is so good.

Ramirez

Oct 26, 2017
The SX controller makes both the One and 360 controllers feel like cheap knock offs.

THIJJ

Oct 26, 2017
The 360 controller was way better than the XB1. But the Series controllers are leagues better than both. The increased tactility and good/great dpad alone make it better than either.

I don't miss the 360 pad anymore

∀∃:ETURNA

Oct 27, 2017
Series X controller killed it. It's better in every way, and definitely the best controller I've ever used.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
Bought 4 wired Xbox 360 controllers years ago for local multiplayer games on Steam. Best PC gamepad of all time.

OP
OP
KrillinLikeAVillan
Nov 8, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
Last year after my 360 controller with thousands of hours on it died I decided to buy a bunch of used ones to refurb and use. If you are buying them on ebay check out the pictures and check for the four raised dimples on each of the analog sticks. The less use the controller has the more distinct the dimples will be. I gambled on 5 $10ish controllers and ended up with 4 decent controllers after being disassembled and thoroughly cleaned. You can even buy replacement parts to customize it or remove the rumble motors while you are at it. I should be good on 360 controllers for awhile. If you decide to refurb used controllers be prepared to clean some filth.

Hmm, refurbishing old controllers sounds like a pretty good idea, i sure as hell have a lot of half busted controllers lying around.

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
The Xbox 360 controller was really awesome, they were very durable besides potential stick drift. My brothers still have 3 of them that work, they're probably something like 13+ years old now!

I've had terrible luck with my Xbox One controllers in the 4+ years I've had them. Two had failing right bumpers, and one of them even stopped working wirelessly to add insult to injury. My 3rd controller's left stick then began to drift before I returned it and upgraded to an Xbox Series Controller.

Kiru

Oct 25, 2017
I still have one in almost new condition from getting an Alienware Alpha years ago.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Just gonna chime in and say I'm disappointed to see how not good the actual 360 controller market is right now. I use an X1 for PC games but I wanted to get into a few games that are on the actual 360 sometime this year and needed to buy a new controller because my old college roommates trashed my old ones. Even just buying a second hand one with the transforming d-pad is more expensive than I'd like.

Wislizeni

Oct 27, 2017
The wired ones always seemed so hard to find, and I never really wanted to throw down for a PC dongle + batteries, so I'd always find makeshift solutions, like using a PS3 controller with custom drivers. Part of me kind of regrets it. I know its a good controller, and I never really got the chance to try it. Though I did hear a lot about the d-pad being poor.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
I gave mine away to a friend thinking that a new X1 controller would be just as good. I still regret it.

hersheyfan

Oct 25, 2017
Manila, Philippines
I can relate to this thread. I have just one wired 360 controller left for PC use, and the X button is beginning to stick. I fear the end is nigh. 😭

OP, as a fellow fan of the wired 360 pad, I highly recommend copping a Series X controller as your replacement. It's honestly fantastic, and I like it a lot more than the XB1 pad, which felt... wrong, somehow.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
The X360 controller got me back into console gaming.
Oh man, the "ergonomics" battles back then ...

But since X1 controllers gave me haptics in triggers, I just can't go back anymore. It makes all the different in racing games (what I play most on console).

Most modern gaming PCs should include Xbox Wireless on the motherboard, but if yours doesn't, dongles are pretty cheap.

OP
OP
KrillinLikeAVillan
Nov 8, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
Through dumb luck i managed to find a shop that sells printers that for some unknown reason also had consoles and controllers lying around from the previous gens, they had three wireless xbox 360 controllers so i bought them all asap, so i am set for now, i can keep using the GOAT controller for a while longer.

OdjnRyu

Nov 8, 2017
360 controller was comfy but I absolutely hated the D-pad. Even the newer version with the twisty D-pad wasn't great. Xbox One and Series X controllers blow it out of the water :)

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
Sleep, sweet prince!

Best gamepad ever. I bought a second console in 2015 after my og Elite from 2007 was showing its 5000 hours of use.

OP
OP
KrillinLikeAVillan
Nov 8, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
360 controller was comfy but I absolutely hated the D-pad. Even the newer version with the twisty D-pad wasn't great. Xbox One and Series X controllers blow it out of the water :)

Yeah after all the recommendations in this thread for the series x controller i ended up ordering one, i am really looking forward to trying it out, but it feels good that i was able to find some more 360 controllers, i am not fully ready to move on yet. ;)

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
I had to give up my first 360 controller that I got back when Gears of War launched. I used the absolute shit out of it on the 360 and then on my PC. I replaced the sticks twice due to the rubber wearing off.

I could not fix the increasingly large deadzone, though, so I had to set it aside.

I'm now using one of my black ones from my second 360. So far it's in good shape.

After that I have two transforming dpad revisions (silver and purple) that I can use. I do have a usb dongle for the One controller and my PC does support bluetooth, but there's just something comforting about holding a 360 controller.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Oh fuck, I had a wired PC version that's been sitting in a box for years I literally just gave it away to a random facebook person last week.

Oct 25, 2017
Switch to the Series X controller, it's got a significantly better D-Pad. I think I might prefer the ergonomics of the 360 controller a little more, but the Series X is an all-around improvement of the One controller and is the best replacement for the 360 controller.

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
Not really though? It's in the upper tier, and if people want to put one above that they prefer, I'm good with that, but it shares space with the best. It's an extension of my hands when I'm playing.
It's definitely in the upper tier and it's my current go-to for anything except fighting games (as great as the new dpad is, it's no saturn dpad and it struggles being consistent with certain motions that frequently involve diagonals) but it's still a ways away from being as perfect as a controller can be, like you said.
Fix what little is left to fix with the dpad (and make it quieter), get rid of the clicky bumpers (why they insist on maintaining this "staple" is beyond me), hook it up with gyro (Brook's adapter helps with this one, thankfully) and give it at least 2 back paddles by default and I'd agree. As it stands, it's great and definitely top tier, but perfect it just isn't. I'd also like to see them go them ABC XYZ route with 6 face buttons but I realize that's just a matter of personal preference.