• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

napk1ns

Nov 29, 2017
Wow, people are pretty cynical here. It's obviously a huge feature. Console software finally mirrors what we expect of smartphone app switching. It's huge, and I see myself using it constantly. I might be playing something when I friends pops over and then want to pop right back to a Halo campaign with them. It's awesome.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
I wonder if quick resume will be undermined by always-online games. Which I'm sure will become even more popular next gen. Like, Genshin Impact would not work with quick resume. If you leave the game for too long, you have to completely restart it on PS4.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
Forza Horizon
Minecraft
Sleeping dogs
Ori
Sekiro

But I'll be shutting my console off everytime; cold boot for energy conservation

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
While i'm sure the feature will be well used by people who like to hop between many games (i'm not one of them), I really don't think I would label Quick Resume as one of the most next-gen features but maybe I would have a different opinion if I too skipped between 5 different games like a madman.

Thread title change
OP
OP
Fitts

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
As far as I can gather, PS4 and XB1 had suspend/resume for a single game. That isn't the same as multi-game quick resume.

I requested the thread title be changed to hopefully avoid some of the downplaying/console warring. I'm excited for this convenience feature and so are others. Be excellent to each other. Thanks!

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Do we have an idea if there's any indication if a game is about to be pushed out of a quick resume state? Clearly you can't have an infinite number of states, and removing a state is a destructive behavior in that you can lose your current status from not having saved. Is there anything telling you that you're about to remove this game from being in a quick resume state? Or will it just be you'll lose your progress and you won't know until you try to play it later?

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
It will be a really great feature. However, personally the main thing that keeps me from playing game is the long initial load time, which SSDs will remove thank god. It is very rarely I play multiple games where I would need to store the state of the game in action opposed to just loading up the game at the nearest checkpoint/savestate.

I do hope that PS5 also have it though, just for those one or two games (in my personal collection) which truly benefit from it. And who knows, perhaps it changes the way I play altogether, so bring it on!

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Alanah Pearce has a good video about it. I didn't care about Quick resume until I watched her video.

Watched it. She doesn't mention the specific thing I'm talking about which is not being able to suspend OG Xbox games on One X

I lost progress twice on Morrowind so I gave up.

I don't understand the technical barrier that prevents them doing it on One X so that's why I'm wondering if they've solved the issue on Series X

Aladan

Dec 23, 2019
Always these console warring.... Has anyone saw the UI video from Playstation? Has nobody noticed that there was no question if Sackboy should be closed for starting Destruction All-Stars?

Now imagine why there was no question..

And on Topic: personally it is not a important feature for me. I don't play multiplayer games and most of the times I play exact one game until it is done.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Suspend / resume was my most next gen last gen feature. Being able to save anywhere and skip mimutes of booting a game and loading a save got me to consider playing games even if I only had half an hour to kill.
I think the XSX/S implementation is a natural evolution of that and I'm guessing based on the UI clues we got so far there will be a similar upgrade for the PS5.
I usually only ever play one game at a time so being able to suspend two would be enough for me personally.
Switching to MP games also doesn't really get the full benefit since you usually have to log back in again. It wouldn't work at all in Destiny 2 for example.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's a great feature! But after seeing the ammount of time it takes to boot a game on PS5, I wouldn't be to sad to not have the feature on the PS5.

Also, we're still to see if quick resume works with as many games at the same time when only next gen games are running on these consoles.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Always these console warring.... Has anyone saw the UI video from Playstation? Has nobody noticed that there was no question if Sackboy should be closed for starting Destruction All-Stars?

Now imagine why there was no question..

The Xbox One doesn't currently warn you if you switch game so I'd hardly call that definitive.

Don Dada

Oct 27, 2017
Warzone, Halo and Gears would be in heavy rotation for me. Plus whatever single player game I'm playing at the time.

yap

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
at ps4's launch, back when i had lots of free time, disposable income, and would constantly switch between single player and multiplayer games, I literally dreamed of a feature like this.

surprise, surprise it's not something I'll use much these days. chalk it up to getting older (boring), i guess

Bird Feedr

Sep 18, 2020
MCC, Sekiro, GTA5 (Finally, no more awful loading in - confirmed?), and I will finally play Witcher 3.

Super excited about this feature to be honest, the older I get the more impatient I become

Hasi

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Definitely a racing game for me, maybe even both Forza Horizon and the version of F1 that's on Game Pass. I love to drive around a little to relax my brain in between studying, but having to boot up the game and set up a good scenario takes way too long. Now I can play games in the morning or evening without having to quit my session!

Other than that, I can see myself using it for a big open world game that I just pop into occasionally, a Red Dead or Skyrim kind of thing.

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It was handy last gen because of the long load times but I can't imagine bothering that much with it. Even if you can suspend multiple games I don't really play multiple games at once

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
I imagine Tetris Effect and Pinball FX3 will always be ready for me to hop into. I tend to play a lot of arcade-y games frequently in short bursts.

Jul 28, 2020
Given how many people jumped on this thread to say that it isn't very useful, exciting or next gen, I can only assume that it's xbox only and is very desirable.

If I had Quick Resume right now I'd have:

A Plague Tale
Astroneer

Queued up. I've been trying to play through quantum break too, so maybe that as well.

R2RD

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 6, 2018
Watched it. She doesn't mention the specific thing I'm talking about which is not being able to suspend OG Xbox games on One X

I lost progress twice on Morrowind so I gave up.

I don't understand the technical barrier that prevents them doing it on One X so that's why I'm wondering if they've solved the issue on Series X
sorry about that, I thought you were asking how the feature worked. They haven't shown that specific title but in the Series S trailer they show Quick resume working with Black which is a OG xbox game and also I saw a video of someone using it with RE4 so I assume it should work with Morrowind.

NeptunePirate

Nov 1, 2017
I am really excited about the quick resume. I tend to switch back and forth on a few games every day. Already today, I have played some franchise games in NHL 21, played a few races in Dirt 4, and managed my city in Skylines. I will benefit from this feature quite a bit.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
sorry about that, I thought you were asking how the feature worked. They haven't shown that specific title but in the Series S trailer they show Quick resume working with Black which is a OG xbox game and also I saw a video of someone using it with RE4 so I assume it should work with Morrowind.

Sweet, Thanks

Golbez

Oct 20, 2020
I'll be constantly hopping between Forza Horizon 4 and whatever RPG I'm currently playing (right now its Wasteland 3).

Mortal Mario

Apr 15, 2019
UK
At launch I'll likely be cycling between Gears 5, Tetris Effect Connected, THPS1+2, Rocket League, Rogue Company and possibly others. Actually I may not have enough quick resume spots. I love the idea of this feature.

Jolkien

Oct 25, 2017
Anchorage/Alaska
I wonder if there's a storage space reserved for the feature already or at some point when you're coming up on the storage limit will it won't let you quick resume anymore ?

Useless feature for me as I only play 1 game at a time but pretty handy for people rotating many games at a time.

KillaKap

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
game-changing feature that will get downplayed until its available on the popular console. Kudos to the team.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Does PS5 have an equivalent feature?
Not as far as we know.
I still hope PS5 have Quick Resume. Not every games will load in 7 sec.

DMC 5 on PS5 from the PS home take 51 sec

For exemple Quick Resume on RDR2 on XSX is 9 sec.
Honestly with how fast the PS5 SSD is with a quick resume is there or not really means nothing
Look at the example of DMC5 on PS5. Let's leave loading times out of this, because it's not optimized. However you still spend plenty of time watching logos and pressing buttons until you finally can load a game. With quick resume you skip all of this.

In fact quick resume even kinda makes the initial loading in BC games better, because the loading doesn't depend on the game code. It's a system level features, which takes data from RAM and puts in onto the SSD and vice versa. It just depends on how fast the SSD can save a state and load the new one. That's the genius part about it and gets over locked like so many convincing parts about the feature. One day someone or I'll make a OT for it with a FAQ.
Ps4 and xbox one has quick resume... Most impressive thing for me was the help service for games on ps5.
Nope, that's a lie and you know it.

I_love_potatoes

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jul 6, 2020
I'll have whatever multiplayer game I'm playing and then The Witcher 3. I started on Witcher 3 a while back but stopped to grind some backlog games. So this is a good way to get back into to it while waiting to find a match. Lol

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Hard to say. I just love that this feature is here.

Depending on how it's done on PS5, it might be Death Stranding and some PS5 game. I want to tackle my back log and play next gen games...I don't think I can do both....😞

On XSX, Crackdown and MCC. Maybe State of Decay 2? Finish off Recore.

Oct 27, 2017
Philadelphia
Seems like a neat feature that I would love more on a portable than a home console. On home systems I tend to play more online/multiplayer stuff whereas I play more single-player stuff on my Switch.

Still, maybe it will motivate me to play more indie titles on XSX instead of the Switch (or more likely, I'll just double dip).

NeptunePirate

Nov 1, 2017
Do we have an idea if there's any indication if a game is about to be pushed out of a quick resume state? Clearly you can't have an infinite number of states, and removing a state is a destructive behavior in that you can lose your current status from not having saved. Is there anything telling you that you're about to remove this game from being in a quick resume state? Or will it just be you'll lose your progress and you won't know until you try to play it later?
A reviewer on Twitter that has had the system for a couple weeks said that the maximum number of games that can be quick resume is 7. I'm not sure how it works when newer games push out older games though.

Badcoo

May 9, 2018
Quick resume has been the best feature for me this generation. Just makes continuing a game more accessible. I played through all of Days Gone and probably saw the title screen less than 5 times.

Now Xbox is allow multiple games at one time? Sign me the fuck up! So many times I'd have to ditch a game b/c friends are online to play a MP game.

To answer OPs question:

Halo 5 (for sure)
Sea of Thieves
Dragon Age 11 (when it comes out)

Rest would be games my kid plays.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I wonder if quick resume will be undermined by always-online games. Which I'm sure will become even more popular next gen. Like, Genshin Impact would not work with quick resume. If you leave the game for too long, you have to completely restart it on PS4.
This is the sort of thing that bothers me. I wonder if there's any way to keep online games "alive" as a service in the background, maybe as a smaller process that works within a small chunk of the resources reserved for the system OS. That'd be ideal, as it'd be nice to be able to be playing another game and receive a notification from another and immediately jump into said game.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
Hard to say what my queue will look like. Probably:

- Assassins Creed Valhalla
- Forza Horizon 4
- No Man's Sky
- Tetris Effect Connected
- The Falconeer
- Skate 3

Suspend isn't Quick resume. Quick resume is having 5-12 saves states for the last 5-12 games you've used saved to the SSD, so even if you shut down your system, you can load directly to your last played spot in any of those 5-12 games.

For example, everytime you open Red Dead, then switch to GTA, your game will load directly to where you left off in GTA within a matter of seconds. When you switch back to Red Dead, same thing. You can then load Minecraft and keep crafting within seconds. With Suspend, every time you switch a game, you need to go through a 1-2 minute loading screen, and then load you save file, which can also take upwards of one to two minutes. Your resume state is also wiped every time you reboot your system.
Oh I see it is an evolution from what we have now with more games. Thanks for the explanation.

NavNucST3

Nov 13, 2017
My current thoughts on my rotation:

Slay the Spire
Geometry Wars Retro Evolved
Avicii Invector
Forza Horizon 4
Gears 5
Mass Effect
(insert some actual new game here lol)
Every Extend Extra Extreme
PacMan CE DX

Oct 25, 2017
I'll use it to suspend my game and boot up Final Fantasy XIV to do dailies real quick and then get back to it.
Otherwise, I don't see it getting much use.

jesu

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Wreckfest, Forza Horizon 4 and I'll probably get Football Manager.
Wreckfest really does have bad loading times so that should be good.

OP
OP
Fitts

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
Loving the few lists being posted! I gave Wreckfest a shot when it was still in early access and it had... problems. But if that got sorted I could totally see having that on rotation. Destruction Derby was my jam am back in the day!

Ok. So quick resume is overhyped now?

Just ignore it and move on. Be appropriately hyped with us, bra.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
1) Fallout NV
2) Oblivion
3) (insert new game here)
4) fighting game training mode

You gotta keep a fighting game training mode up at all times.

PS5 switcher mode between Demons and SFV (training mode).

Ok. So quick resume is overhyped now?
Well I like the feature because both systems will have it. But the thread title is asking for it to be debated. And if we're laying out next gen features on the table, quick resume doesn't rank that high. Not a dig, cause I do like the feature. And I'll have both so..

DJKippling

Nov 1, 2017
unsurprisingly people are downplaying this. i wonder why... lol.

More people would use this then they realise.