Oct 27, 2017
If I had to vote, I'd say that late 90s-2000s era where everything had that fast editing with chemical bros-esque music in their trailers trying to be the next Fast and the Furious or Matrix.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah Hollywood seems very risk adverse probably due to increasing budgets and consolidation, like a lot of other industries.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
It has to be.

These are great. Can you do the 10s? I cannot get it without a bunch of tv shows.

Id need to see a list for the 2000s but i bet its worse than either of those decades overall

As requested

2000s

ByaS0Gj.png

btwWuXu.png

2010s

YQANcjN.png

UnruC2f.png

J2C

Oct 26, 2017
It always shocks me when he badmouths the 80's in terms of movies. So many incredible movies from that era and projects that would never have been greenlit in any other era.

Feels like a repressed frustration of not making movies during that era, combined with a loss of the 70s personal dramas. But 80s were flying in terms of new concept films, Arnold's run, comedy stars, fantasy films, and a number of different types of films/genres. Films like Bttf, Terminator, ET, Indiana, Who Framed Roger Rabbit. But also maybe larger sense of artifice and spectacle enamored audiences, less reality on film

Capt Sensib1e

Banned
Jun 4, 2022
Dafuq? Epochal films such as Empire Strikes Back, Thing, Aliens, etc., Nothing in the 2000s comes remotely close.

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
It's hard to disagree. Hollywood's batting average has been fucking abysmal lately.

And I think we have to understand this dude has always been a movie consuming machine. He's throwing the 50's and 80's eras under the bus but he probably has a broader view of those eras than most of us because he's spent much of his waking life watching anything he can get his hands on. Dude is obsessed.
Our perception of those decades is skewed towards thinking the good stuff we see is more representative of their eras than they really are, but whew, if you really dive into what was getting cranked out during the 50's it is a massive pile of shit.

Yet he participates in the current Hollywood era hmmmm.
This got me good.

Broseph

Mar 2, 2021
He's right about the 80s. When you look at the best films from the 70s-00s, it def stick out as the worst of the bunch. I don't have much of an opinion on pre 70s films since I haven't seen as many and I'd agree that we're in a pretty dry spell at the moment compared to the 2000s

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone who thinks Tarantino is being a curmudgeon should listen to his Video Archives Podcast with Roger Avery. you'll wonder if you've ever thought about anything as much as QT has thought about film.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
As someone who isn't tired of superhero movies, I think we need more superhero movies! That would be my change to the status quo.

That being said, I am sorry to hear that you are unhappy with the state of things friend.
I loved marvel until endgame, well maybe didn't think they were anything special but saw them as great entertainment.

But as time goes by I can't even finish them, I think I got halfway through love and Thunder.

To be fair apparently 1917 was a great big budget movie recently and I haven't seen it yet although I am not a big war movie guy either tbh.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not really sure how you can vehemently disagree as some in this thread are. Theatrically, there are effectively only 2 types of movies that play now - big budget MCU stuff and horror. Horror is effectively the last remaining genre theatrically. It's incredibly dire. Even if you love big budget blockbusters (which I do) and horror (which I do), there's no denying that in 2022 there isn't much of anything else - the mid budget film is basically dead.

A movie like Pulp Fiction isn't getting made today.
Horror movies are my first big love, superhero movies are my second. Oscar bait my third.

So this is pretty much my golden age of Hollywood! This year has been absolutely incredible for cinema for me, not just big budget stuff. Just saw The Fabelmans and left that theater glowing.

Marus

Alt account
Banned
Aug 6, 2022
I hate this topic. Just watch what you want.

Whenever this discussion comes up it's just people acting like they know more than others

Grenchel

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone who thinks Tarantino is being a curmudgeon should listen to his Video Archives Podcast with Roger Avery. you'll wonder if you've ever thought about anything as much as QT has thought about film.

It's a great podcast. And also makes me feel guilty for only have seeing around 3-4 thousand movies in my life. They're on a different level.

Moppeh

Oct 28, 2017
I generally agree with Tarantino.

As much as I love my share of Hollywood spectacle, I find the eras where spectacle usurps everything else to be the weakest.

MysteryM

Oct 28, 2017
Standouts like much, John wick etc, it doesn't feel as great as other decades. I don't go to the cinema much anymore.

Headman Rum

Oct 28, 2017
Eh, I'm not surprised this ropey fella is pining after the old days when people like his pal Harvey ran amok ("I Knew Enough to Do More Than I Did").
Having said that, arbitrarily dividing movie making (or music or anything) into "eras" is dumb. It's not like peoples tastes change every time a decade ticks over. Great stuff is created all the time.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
I really feel like people saying "but I like X 80s movies" are missing the point. There's lots of great movies that were made in the 1980s, of course we remember the stuff that floats to the top of every time period. He's talking specifically about Hollywood studio trends, and I think it's hard to disagree.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
Looking at it from QT's perspective, the reason why he does not like the 1980s era was because this was the time when the blockbuster mentality first really took hold of Hollywood and films were more producer driven by committee. Compare that to the 1970s, when the director had much more creative freedom or the 1990s when QT started out, the independent film scene was a viable method for filmmakers to keep their independence from the studios.

SavoryTruffle

Oct 31, 2017
The absolutely staggering level of access the vast majority has to just about everything today is far more important in general than specific questions about quality here or there. Something like the MCU being so big frankly just doesn't matter that much when you have so much trivial access to so much else. In any other era, if you didn't love what was most popular at the time, you pretty much just didn't get to watch movies.

Personally, I have the strongest distaste for the 90s as a decade. It's the era I grew up with, so to speak. Most of my friends and many people of my age speak overwhelmingly fondly of the era. But I just don't get it. I've recently rewatched a bunch of major 90s films and they just…aren't that great. Independent, foreign language, big budget Hollywood. I would absolutely take both decades since, zero hesitation.

VinylCassette64

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I don't necessarily agree that the current era of Hollywood film is inherently terrible but it is disappointing seeing the films that achieve even modest box office success nowadays from audiences, let alone are allowed to make it to theaters by studio executives in the first place. It's largely dominated by action-adventure/superhero blockbusters and CG animated family films; with some success stories from low-budget horror and maybe a handful of indie films. It almost feels like everything else that doesn't fall into that category has been backed into ghettos that can usually be found on streaming platforms.

It also doesn't help that with the directions taken with the big studios, especially in regards to M&As like Disney/Fox and Discovery/WB; it's arguably being enforced. The likes of Touchstone, DisneyToon Studios, Fox 2000, and Blue Sky (which all either dealt with lower-budget fare and/or produced films that weren't as expensive as Disney's current silos of department blockbusters) all expired under Disney's watch over the following decade and then some. Zaslav has gone on record for wanting more theatrical releases (to the point of curbing HBO Max's streaming film slate) but also only seeing value in major blockbuster films (as seen with his displeasure with Cry Macho's budget, despite Eastwood's storied history with WB; and arguably the cancellation of Batgirl).

Last edited:

valuv

Oct 25, 2017
He's kind of right. Hollywood's output is pretty dire while tons of incredible non-hollywood (indies and foreign markets) are creating some incredible stuff. If we're just looking at the big budget productions pumped out by hollywood right now, it's pretty bad for the most part.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
If he's strictly talking about "Hollywood", you'd probably have to be completely brainwashed by Disney's dogshit if you'd disagree. Still a great era for film if you look outside of Hollywood though.

Just watched Boiling Point (2021) and it was phenomenal. Lots of television to look forward to as well.
Including a television series of Boiling Point. Can't wait.

Garlic

Oct 28, 2017
It's absolutely impossible for the decade that gave us Blade Runner, Evil Dead II, Aliens, Big Trouble in Little China and Robocop to be one of the "worst".

There is no bad era in film if you only cherry pick the great films and ignore all the bad/mid ones, he's approaching this holistically as someone who watches too many movies

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
I think the 70s were the best decade of cinema so far. I do miss the thriller big budget movies of the 90s. But now my tastes change again as I get older, and I want to see more independent scifi films. That stuff is filling a niche nicely.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The franchise domination seems to be bigger than ever before with so much stuff basically getting factory made.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
There is no bad era in film if you only cherry pick the great films and ignore all the bad/mid ones, he's approaching this holistically as someone who watches too many movies
I don't understand why people can't read it like this.

He's not calling your favorite movies garbage, folks.

aidangs

Jan 8, 2019
He's right, in a way. Overturning the Paramount decision in 2020 combined with the ongoing consolidation of film companies into a small handful of corporations is fast-tracking the industry into a new kind of golden age studio system.

You already see it in the way promising actors and directors get scooped up and chained to decade-long contracts, or how new Marvel movies take up like 75% of movie screens when they come out, pushing out smaller independent films. And the audience response is always "well those are the big movies people want to see, of course they get all the screens!" as though this isn't a problem. Depending on the continued viability of the theater industry I'd bet we're not too far from Disney or Amazon buying up chains and exclusively running their own movies at branded theaters.

Punished

Jun 19, 2019
I agree with him in that it's rare that a drama would come to my local cinema. It's only ever super-heros, cartoons or horror.

It sucks if you live somewhere that doesn't have a good cinema showing arthouse/independent/'world cinema', because I think we are in a golden age for them.