• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Who do we go after once everyone is vaccinated and we're still getting the sniffles?

If everyone just got 'the sniffles' from covid, we wouldn't be in the situation we're in today. Have a look at the situation in hospitals in Quebec and Ontario and have some damn empathy instead of parroting anti-vaxxer talking points that try to minimize the damage covid can and does do.

Deleted member 48201

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 29, 2018
I hope I don't get banned again for this, but I think a lot of you are not really looking at the numbers. When you look at case counts, especially here in BC, from Dec 31 to Jan 6th, 82% of the new cases were to people who were fully vaccinated. Non or partially counted for only 17.8%. Yes, more people who were non or partially were in the hospitals, but in the end, it is the people who are fully vaccinated who seem to be spreading Covid around the most. So on the one hand people want to tax those who are non vaccinated, but on the other, why are those who are fully vaccinated and seem completely oblivious to the viruses spread not taxed as well? In a way it feels like a witchhunt where society once again looks for a boogey man to make themselves feel good

COVID hospitalizations increase by 23% over the weekend

I got my second does last month, but I still don't feel safe going out into the public other than for groceries. My neighbour alone went to a ski hill, met a buddy and his gf, went skiing, got home and then proceeded to get sick with covid. His gf then caught it from him. Do you know who gave it to them? His buddy at the ski hill who went and got tested and told him he had it first. Now how many more people did that buddy infect by going to the ski hill? Its also sad that my neighbour's gf who works in health care had to stay home for over two weeks instead of the helping the patients at the nursing home.

Anyway, stay safe and keep healthy.

You are looking at the raw numbers. Context matters.

Deleted member 24540

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
We live in a society (tm), you don't have the freedom to fuck other people up

I'm just confused from an ideological standpoint.

So the argument seems to be that anything you do that could affect other people is OK to be regulated?

Why aren't governments forcing every citizen to take the vaccine? Why would such a scenario be a bad thing to have if it would save more lives than their indirect attempts like introducing a health tax?

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018

So the argument seems to be that anything you do that could affect other people is OK to be regulated?

Why aren't governments forcing every citizen to take the vaccine? Why would such a scenario be a bad thing to have if it would save more lives than their indirect attempts like introducing a health tax?

I'm 100% for forcing people to be vaccinated, that's why regulations exist. Kids can't go to school without vaccines for a long time now. In my job if you don't vaccinate you're fired.

If you mean physically force them, that would probably create much more problems than needed. Most people will take it for the regulations.

Barnak

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

You can't "force" people to take vaccines. Where would you even start without looking like a dictactorship?
A tax(or is it a payment notice sent to their home like a driver's licence? I don't know the details) like this is the best thing a government can do to convince the few who haven't taken a shot yet. They still have the freedom to say unvaxxed, but at least they have a consequence where it matter most to them(their wallet, unlike their health lol).

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
It's not illegal to make laws. People whined about seat belt laws too.

It's to the point now that action and laws are needed. Recommendations and pleading hasn't worked.
step 1. "Please get vaccinated. It's for everybody's safety."
step 2. "Don't be a dick. Get vaccinated."
step 3. "If you continue to refuse, you will face consequences."

Garth2000

Oct 27, 2017
I'm all on board with making the lives of the non-vaccinated folks difficult as possible, but I worry about this.

As a fellow Canadian, I totally get that because we all pay for health care, we need to do our part and the non-vaccinated are definitely adding additional costs to this. That said, I worry that taxing the non-vaccinated is a slippery slope that will lead to taxing others based on their health choices (smoking, eating, drinking, not exercising etc).

I'm not sure what the right answer is though. Even if we say "non-vaccinated have to pay for covid related hospital stays" (another thing I like), but that could also lead to "you're 20 pounds overweight.. you have to pay for the stint we just put into your heart"

The Quebec government seems to be framing it as "your choices are too expensive, so you have to pay extra" I think is wrong. I'd rather it be framed as "your choices are hurting others".

Either way. Fuck people who aren't doing their part.

StevieP

Oct 27, 2017
I'm all on board with making the lives of the non-vaccinated folks difficult as possible, but I worry about this.

As a fellow Canadian, I totally get that because we all pay for health care, we need to do our part and the non-vaccinated are definitely adding additional costs to this. That said, I worry that taxing the non-vaccinated is a slippery slope that will lead to taxing others based on their health choices (smoking, eating, drinking, not exercising etc).

I'm not sure what the right answer is though. Even if we say "non-vaccinated have to pay for covid related hospital stays" (another thing I like), but that could also lead to "you're 20 pounds overweight.. you have to pay for the stint we just put into your heart"

The Quebec government seems to be framing it as "your choices are too expensive, so you have to pay extra" I think is wrong. I'd rather it be framed as "your choices are hurting others".

You can't spread eating or drinking too much.

Cana

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Mar 27, 2021

We literally already have sin taxes for peoples life choices.

-------------

On another note cant wait for ppl to cry about their rights when their rights are part of the constitution and acts that allow the govt to tax them. POGG and all that tho thats federal

Garth2000

Oct 27, 2017
You can't spread eating or drinking too much.

I agree completely. But I don't believe that is how the government is framing this mandate. My understanding is that they are framing it as "your choices are too costly to the health care system" and not "your choices are making other people sick".

Plus, you can still spread covid if you have your vax

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I agree completely. But I don't believe that is how the government is framing this mandate. My understanding is that they are framing it as "your choices are too costly to the health care system" and not "your choices are making other people sick".

We live in a democracy. Most people support vaccine mandates. Most people would not support an additional tax on people who are overweight or who "don't exercise enough", and no governement would ever get elected if they proposed such a thing. This "slippery slope" shit is all just anit-vaxx rhetoric and it's dangerous as fuck.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018

People have been overweight, smoking, drinking etc. since always and the healthcare system was never in this shape because of it.

jetscanfly

Jan 19, 2018
We live in a democracy. Most people support vaccine mandates. Most people would not support an additional tax on people who are overweight or who "don't exercise enough", and no governement would ever get elected if they proposed such a thing. This "slippery slope" shit is all just anit-vaxx rhetoric and it's dangerous as fuck.
This a million times.

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017
How many times do we have to explain to non-Quebecker that we have bad habit taxes on other stuff already and it has yet to lead to any slippery slope...

deadbass

Oct 27, 2017
I got my second does last month

futurama-serious.gif

StrangeADT

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

This fucking talking point again. Alcohol and tobacco is fucking taxed. It's built into the goddamn price. Good fuck. How do you not fucking know this? I even remember growing up when the cigarette prices increased insanely overnight and smokers were bitching and moaning about it. There is nowhere in Canada where this isn't true - at least for smoking for sure. Unless you're First Nations. Pretty sure they don't have those kinds of taxes. So now you can stop spreading this false rhetoric.

If you're unvaccinated, you're more likely to be in an ICU bed. That is cost. I know your quote talks about spread but I haven't looked into it enough to know whether the unvaccinated spread omicron at a higher relative rate. At this point that doesn't really matter though.

FYI: It's really hard to give the benefit of the doubt when you continuously inject common antivax rhetoric in your posts.

Last edited:

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017
May as well put this here: most people are already eligible for their booster shot. Any adult by Friday.

RbfRBCz.png

Chippewa Barr