• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Fuck this looks amazing, I want that! I'm not into expensive PC gaming, please be part of the next generation of consoles...

Psyrgery

Nov 7, 2017
I hope my poor GTX1080 can run this at a decent framerate...

Also, here's hoping for Dictator to cover it in an in-depth Digital Foundry video!

Freakylinks

Nov 4, 2017
GOD that video is pretty! i have been playing the q2vkpt release and its already pretty and i'm so glad they just ran with this and producing something to release back to the people and source!

i hope some smart people can then figure out how to add some of this pathtracing to quake 1 source or doom3 source

Gavin Stevens

Team Blur Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Telford, Shropshire
It must feel good to have actively participated in the development of one of the most legendary and consistently lauded PC games of all time. Are you gonna play through it again with Ray tracing for some feels?
Whoa! What assets of yours are in this game?

I was a kid when I got my first 3D accelerator in 98 and Quake 2 was my first foray in that part of PC Gaming. The pride you must feel strongly eclipses mine on revisiting an old milestone with a fresh coat of paint I'm sure. :)

Just to clarify, back when the quake 2 scene was none existent and quake 1 only had a few sources report attempts out, I made quake 2 evolved, the first source port to contain per pixel lighting and shadowing. I was st the forefront of the quake 2 modding scene back then and wasnin charge of most of the efforts for improving its visual look and bring it up to (then) spec. So a lot of the textures you see in that video are mynown from, god, 15 years ago maybe? Some of the other assets I see include some textures by other artists, a few of my old ass models and kmans models.

Usually when you see an old school quake 2 pic these days it contains my art or my hud or something I did. Feels nice to have contributed in that way.

Sadly, as far as quake 2 goes anyway, it was seriously limited in what youth could do compared to quake 1, as its network protocol was so heavily locked down it meant that some things couldn't be changed st all without breaking it and thus forcing mods to not work, or players to need a new version (so old players couldn't play at the same time). It's one of the reasons why you saw a lot of quake 1 stuff but barely anything quake 2.

I still develop on quake 2's engine today actually, it just looks a bit different...

Deleted member 21601

User requested account deletion
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I need this ASAP! Recently got a RTX2060 card. And this looks AMAZING! I hope for a id 3d FPS collection with RTX patches.

Last edited:

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
The ray-traced and path-traced Quake has been tech demoed for a long time now yet it neevr saw the light. I really hope this will come out at the end.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
It's funny how this is the sort of thing that gets me interested in RTX.
I'd like to see it in newer games as well of course, but this just seems more impressive for some reason.
I've been noticing that a lot of the materials in these RTX demos seem overly shiny though. I get that they probably want to show off RTX, but windows are not mirrors.

I realize that this is being done because it's open-source and they are building upon an existing implementation, but if NVIDIA were to start remastering many of PC gaming's classic titles with RTX support I'd be far more interested in buying an RTX card - provided that the games could still run at a good frame rate (90 FPS+).
Imagine all the classic games from say 2003 and earlier with RTX support. Deus Ex, Thief, System Shock 2, Half-Life, Unreal Tournament, Quake, Max Payne etc.

Nacho Papi

Oct 27, 2017
Eeeehm...that shit looks amazing. Seriously, this has hyped me more for RTX/raytracing than any of the previous demos did! Feck...I need to get back into pcgaming.

Harlequin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My one complaint would be that the stone materials look too shiny. Other than that it looks phenomenal!

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
Amazing work! Is it bad that the most impressive part of the demo was the volumetric smoke and particle effects? The path traced lighting was utterly mind blowing, but I've been wanting to see volumetric effects like that in games for years now and it's kind of hilarious that Quake 2 will be the first to have them at this fidelity.

I'm interested in hearing more about how they are handling SLI. Does path-tracing scale well over SLI, especially with AFR (thinking about temporal effects and denoising)?

EchoSmoker

Jan 29, 2018
It's not unusual for old games to get the HD treatment or recieve post-processing effects through mods but this is on another level, goddamn. Taking a game that's a cinch to run on today's hardware and using all that extra power for ray tracing is something I'd be happy to see more of.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Amazing work! Is it bad that the most impressive part of the demo was the volumetric smoke and particle effects? The path traced lighting was utterly mind blowing, but I've been wanting to see volumetric effects like that in games for years now and it's kind of hilarious that Quake 2 will be the first to have them at this fidelity.

I'm interested in hearing more about how they are handling SLI. Does path-tracing scale well over SLI, especially with AFR (thinking about temporal effects and denoising)?
The volumetric effects are a part of the Nvidia suite. As expensive as they are, they don't get used much. You'd be lucky to see hair effects or turf works

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/quake-ii-rtx-ray-tracing-vulkan-vkray-geforce-rtx/

Tons of crazy stuff announced at GTC. Remember Quake 2 path tracing (Q2VKPT)? Well that is being updated with the creators help and NV's support and being released as a stand alone thing. ANd the way Jensen said it on stage, it will be an open source product uploaded to Git just like Qake2 Path Tracing.
Description:

Non-path traced:
quake-ii-rtx-screenshot-001-rtx-off.jpg

path-traced:
quake-ii-rtx-screenshot-001-rtx-on.jpg

non-path-traced:
quake-ii-rtx-screenshot-007-rtx-off.jpg

path-traced:
quake-ii-rtx-screenshot-007-rtx-on.jpg

non-path-traced:
quake-ii-rtx-screenshot-005-rtx-off.jpg

path-traced:
quake-ii-rtx-screenshot-005-rtx-on.jpg

I basically am instagibbed by this announcement.
This looks utterly spectacular.

I cannot wait for this tech to be improved over time and added to old games.
Imagine Q3-engine games with this... 😲😲

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
First time I played Quake 2, I just had the software renderer and it was a big jump from games I'd had previously, even as blocky as it was in retrospect.
Then I got a Voodoo Banshee and it blew my mind. Colored lighting, whee!

Here we are, years later, and I can see playing this game another time and getting blown away by the visuals yet again. I'd love to see this lighting tech mixed with asset improvements.

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
Honestly, I would love Doom 3 to get this kind of treatment, but I'm guessing that might be too much work for a small team of people.

Edit: I find it strange that I not only want to replay Quake 2 after so many years, but that it will be one of the most technically impressive games of 2019.

Burbank

Sep 9, 2018
Pangea
Honestly, I would love Doom 3 to get this kind of treatment, but I'm guessing that might be too much work for a small team of people.

Edit: I find it strange that I not only want to replay Quake 2 after so many years, but that it will be one of the most technically impressive games of 2019.

Yeah, or FEAR. Some game with more objects that move. No idea what HW that requires though.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
It's kinda failing to raise any eyebrows at face value from my perspective as well. Doesn't look that notably different from if the game had been upgraded with bog standard PBR, dynamic lighting and faked volumetric light effects.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
It's kinda failing to raise any eyebrows at face value from my perspective as well. Doesn't look that notably different from if the game had been upgraded with bog standard PBR, dynamic lighting and faked volumetric light effects.
Except it would take a year instead of just a couple of months probably and would still look worse and have severe limitations in stuff like dynamic lighting and shadows? Sure.

Riflen

Nov 13, 2017

They don't demo it very well. For some reason the player hardly fires any weapons and they've removed enemies. If you pay close attention in the final seconds when they shoot some rockets and the BFG, you'll see shadows being cast dynamically by the explosions and all geometry occluding and reflecting light realistically. Remember this is GDC and it's expected that the audience knows what they're looking at.

This is very difficult to do properly without these techniques. If it's done at all in games today, it's with a single light source that is either not player controlled, only affects certain elements in the scene or limited to a small part of the game.
Hopefully we will start to see these techniques used more often on all GPUs utilising standard compute hardware, with those GPUs having specific hardware support allowing for higher fidelity and/or more wide-ranging effects.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
GOod thing they also announced ray tracing support for pascal at GTC.

DO not expect stellar framerates though :D

That is the old one :D New branch, non-experimental should be out in a months time according to what was said on GTC stage :D

If I can play it at less than 30fps and low res, it's only going to enhance the experience :D

By the way, this work like a mod for the original game right? I have it on Steam, so when it's out I download it and patch it?

low-G

Oct 25, 2017

The difference in lighting model is literally more different than the difference between Quake 1 and Horizon Zero Dawn's lighting models.

Practically every frame demonstrates it, dramatically.

I think you're just thinking 'looks-good' scale. That is, you could also make it look very good by applying a completely other set of new graphical techniques and features.