Oct 22, 2020
variety.com

Jim Caviezel’s Faith-Based Thriller ‘Sound of Freedom’ Crosses $100 Million at Box Office

“Sound of Freedom," this summer's unlikely box office hit, has crossed the $100 million mark in North America.

Variety said:
"Sound of Freedom," this summer's unlikely box office hit, has crossed the $100 million mark in North America after three weeks of release.

It's an impressive milestone for the low-budget, faith-based movie, especially in the height of summer blockbuster season. It also marks the first indie release in post-pandemic times to surpass $100 million at the domestic box office. Last year's Oscar-winning arthouse smash "Everything Everywhere All at Once" topped $100 million globally, but that included $63 million at the international box office. "Sound of Freedom" isn't playing overseas.

Cool stuff! Your favorite president even screened the movie for some of America's finest, including Steve Bannon, Kari Lake, and Jack Posobiec.

www.theguardian.com

Trump hosts screening of Sound of Freedom, a hit with QAnon devotees

Ex-president holds golf club screening of child trafficking film, with Steve Bannon, Kari Lake and Jack Posobiec in attendance

The Guardian said:
It was an outdoor movie with a difference. Sitting in the front row: Donald Trump, the former US president. Also in attendance: extremists and election deniers. On the big screen: a box office hit promoted by followers of QAnon.

Trump, who is running for president again, hosted a private screening of Sound of Freedom, a thriller about child sex trafficking, at his golf club in Bedminster, New Jersey, on Wednesday night.

The film is not likely to trouble the Oscar judges. But it has been a surprise success in cinemas with both traditional conservatives and the far right. Trump's seal of approval could give it a boost with such audiences that money cannot buy.

Before the screening, the ex-president praised lead actor Jim Caviezel as a "great star" who is "doing very well" and invited his former strategist Steve Bannon – "he can't stand controversy" – to address the audience.

Bannon, who hosts a popular rightwing podcast, said: "This movie can unite the country. It's already united Jared, Ivanka, Kellyanne and Steve Bannon" – a humorous reference to bitter infighting that racked the Trump White House.

Other guests included Kari Lake, a former candidate for governor of Arizona and fervent promoter of the "big lie" of a stolen election, and Jack Posobiec, who has pushed bogus conspiracy theories such as "Pizzagate", which held that Democrats were running a child sex and torture ring beneath a pizzeria in Washington.

It's so great to see all this genuine concern about child trafficking, inspired by this incredible movie that definitely isn't involved at all in a dangerous conspiracy theory about Democratic Satanists harvesting children.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
The more I learned about the movie, including learning from real trafficking experts, the more upset I got.

Cavaziel even thinks that Trump is the only one that can fix this? Dude, Trump just cares about golfing and watching Fox News all day. Trumpers are extremely brainwashed and deranged.

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
Lol so I was working last week and this lady came in dropping off her package and started talking about this movie and how amazing it is or whatever. And then mentions if anyone of me and my coworkers are born again Christians. One of my coworkers is, I just said "oh I'm catholic".

Then she goes on a big ass rant that I should be born again and that the second coming of Jesus is coming.

Without even seeing the trailer I knew what kind of people this movie attracts lol.

Gibbo

The Fallen
Nov 20, 2017
Knowing the type of person Jim is has made me retrospectively hate Person of Interest.

Dyno

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You'd think society would be learning from what's got to be the largest study group of mass formation psychosis ever but I guess we're just gonna keep steering into the skid

DarkJ

Nov 11, 2017
I keep seeing online that they're fudging the numbers by buying all the tickets for the movie but if you actually go to the theaters it's empty. Not sure if it's true but I've seen multiple people do this. It's also how they get conservative books to the best sellers list so it wouldn't surprise me.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
You know it's a completely fine and normal movie when even the mildest critique of it results in accusations of being a paedo.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Is this the movie where people say the theatres are spraying noxious gas during or whatever so people get uncomfortable and leave

collige

Oct 31, 2017
So the movie is based on a dude who runs an anti-trafficking org that's been around longer than Q so they can technically say it's not related. But besides the lead being played by a Q person all the Q people promoting the movie like their life depends on it, there's also this:

www.vice.com

Tim Ballard Left Operation Underground Railroad After Investigation Into Claims Made by Employees

The anti-trafficking activist whose story was the basis for Sound of Freedom left his own organization after an internal investigation, according to a letter circulating among employees and donors.

The letter claims that an OUR employee who accompanied Ballard on an undercover operation abroad filed a complaint against him with OUR's human resources department after the trip, and that a followup investigation culminated in his resignation.
Ballard is the founder and former CEO of OUR, which claims to rescue women and children from sex trafficking. A series of VICE News investigations over the past three years has found that the organization and Ballard have a pattern of distorting and exaggerating their international rescues and their role in domestic law enforcement operations.
As VICE News has reported, a previous letter accused Ballard and the organization's leadership of misusing donor funds and of unspecified misconduct towards women. At the time, OUR confirmed such a letter existed and was circulating, and told us, "The OUR Board of Directors received the letter 12 months ago and after a thorough investigation, found zero evidence to corroborate the allegations contained in the letter."
The letter circulating now alleges that the board of directors and attorneys for the organization "made agreements preventing OUR executives from discussing the results of the investigation."

Not a great look when the "hero" your movie is based on has to step down for unspecified reasons.

ZeroMaverick

Mar 5, 2018
Can someone explain what's wrong with this movie? All I saw was that the organization behind it does more harm than good for child trafficking, but is it worse than that?

Raxus

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if you know who will review this one like God's not Dead.

Speaking of box office. I wonder if this is a ploy to finance more of these films from what I understand people have been pumping this ones box office buy buying tickets in empty theaters.

jon bones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I keep seeing online that they're fudging the numbers by buying all the tickets for the movie but if you actually go to the theaters it's empty. Not sure if it's true but I've seen multiple people do this. It's also how they get conservative books to the best sellers list so it wouldn't surprise me.

100% what's happening here as well

Titantodd

May 3, 2023
Knowing the type of person Jim is has made me retrospectively hate Person of Interest.

We've already had Qanon Anonymous mentioned in this thread. The QAA episode on Jim Caveziel specifically is utterly WILD. As in "do not trust this man on set with anything bigger and sharper than a banana" wild.

You don't even have to be following Qanon or all this batshit stuff from the outside to enjoy that one, it's perfectly self-contained.

TheDutchSlayer

Did you find it? Cuez I didn't!
Oct 26, 2017
The Hauge, The Netherlands
Noooo I know Jim suck now but PoI is still perfect! :(

This podcast did an extensive review of it. It sadly does not have an adrenochrome scene in it 😔

View: https://open.spotify.com/episode/1xj51Tr4n4lPRvDoxeg8aV?si=v03gRNfHRXurxCZl8d4XQQ

*these guys are anti-qanon, dont be fooled by the name

Owwww Dave is on this I love the dollop so this should be fun :D

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
hadn't even heard of this. people are going to theaters to see something other than barbenheimer?

collige

Oct 31, 2017
This podcast did an extensive review of it. It sadly does not have an adrenochrome scene in it 😔

View: https://open.spotify.com/episode/1xj51Tr4n4lPRvDoxeg8aV?si=v03gRNfHRXurxCZl8d4XQQ

*these guys are anti-qanon, dont be fooled by the name

The first Jim Cavaziel episode they did is much wilder than this. Dude apparently likes standing real close to people while telling them how cool Hitler is and couldn't be trusted to do basically anything involving even a little danger.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017

It's literally conservatives posting images/videos of mostly empty theaters and saying how weird it is. They of course think it's a conspiracy to keep people from seeing the film or something.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
hadn't even heard of this. people are going to theaters to see something other than barbenheimer?

Yes and…kind of no. There is a lot of astroturfing around this film. Both from outside political groups that want to boost its notability to the general public and the movie actually had a campaign where you could buy tickets in mass for other people to get (I think the end of the movie even has a QR code that you scan to go to the website that allows you to do it). So yes, there are more than the average amount of people going to see this than most of these movies, but the numbers are also very inflated because of those factors

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
The guests seeing Sound of Freedom at our theatre are probably the rudest guests we've had in quite some time.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
Yes and…kind of no. There is a lot of astroturfing around this film. Both from outside political groups that want to boost its notability to the general public and the movie actually had a campaign where you could buy tickets in mass for other people to get (I think the end of the movie even has a QR code that you scan to go to the website that allows you to do it). So yes, there are more than the average amount of people going to see this than most of these movies, but the numbers are also very inflated because of those factors
these grifts get more interesting…now they have people buying tickets that they're not even using? shits insane

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
VICE's Anna Merlan did a number of investigative reports about OUR (anything invoking underground railroad by white folks is gonna be dodgy). The movie is about the former CEO of OUR, Tim Ballard.

www.vice.com

A Famed Anti-Sex Trafficking Group Has a Problem With the Truth

Backed by Donald Trump, Operation Underground Railroad has flourished in the age of QAnon. But not all of its stories hold up to scrutiny.
www.vice.com

Inside a Massive Anti-Trafficking Charity's Blundering Overseas Missions

Operation Underground Railroad claims to save child sex slaves. People on the ground describe disturbingly amateurish operations that could endanger those they're meant to help.
www.vice.com

The Anti-Trafficking Movement Is Pivoting to Afghanistan

American anti-trafficking groups often make impossible-to-verify claims. Now, they’re doing it in the aftermath of the U.S. withdrawal from Afghanistan.
www.vice.com

Twitter’s New Head of Trust and Safety Offers to Partner with Controversial Anti-Trafficking Group

Operation Underground Railroad has a long track record of misrepresenting its work; now, it could be partnering with Elon Musk’s Twitter.
www.vice.com

Operation Underground Railroad Has Another Murky Rescue Story

The anti-trafficking group tells a tale about saving 10 women from sexual slavery and bringing them to the U.S. with the help of Trump’s White House and Tony Robbins. The full story is even stranger.
www.vice.com

Operation Underground Railroad’s Carefully Crafted Public Image Is Falling Apart

Federal investigators, a staff exodus, and a disastrous appearance at a conspiracy conference have the anti-trafficking charity facing unprecedented pressure.
www.vice.com

America's Most Influential Conspiracy Theorists Are Going All-In On Transphobia

As the line between the fringe and the mainstream blurs, conspiracy peddlers are influencing—and in turn being influenced by—the national panic targeting trans people.

Can someone explain what's wrong with this movie? All I saw was that the organization behind it does more harm than good for child trafficking, but is it worse than that?
They had a bit too many worries about the OUR folks being attracted to sex trafficking victims. So, that classic right wing projection.
Screenshot_20230719_151226_Chrome.jpg

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
these grifts get more interesting…now they have people buying tickets that they're not even using? shits insane

I'm not entirely sure how it worked, but that was my understanding, yeah. They had a system set up where people could buy tickets for an online pool for others to claim. I don't really know if it's possible to calculate how much that factored into the total gross here, but I imagine that contributed to it and probably was the main reason there were weird circumstances being shared on social media where a showing was 'sold out' in theater rooms that clearly had plenty of seats. I'm sure there is some article out there that breaks it down but don't have anything handy

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
www.indiewire.com

‘Sound of Freedom’ Is Cleaning Up at the Box Office Because You Can Buy Tickets for Strangers

The child-sex-trafficking drama starring Jim Caviezel made over $14.2 million on July 4 thanks to distributor Angel Studios' creative crowdfunding.

But the film's real godsend is the ability for "Sound of Freedom" fans to buy movie tickets for complete strangers.
Angel Studios calls it "Pay It Forward," in which you can buy a ticket for "Sound of Freedom," pay for another one, and someone else can apply to redeem it if they don't have the financial means. A larger group of people buying tickets in bulk, such as for a company or a church, can even redeem a portion of their tickets for free. The distributor says of its $14.2 million haul, $2.6 million came from people overpaying through those Pay It Forward ticket sales.

www.vanityfair.com

‘Sound of Freedom’: The Wild True Story Behind 2023’s Most Controversial Film

While critics, interest groups, and political factions rage against the anti-child-trafficking drama, its distributor is laughing all the way to the bank.
What is the Jim Caviezel–led action drama Sound of Freedom, exactly? A solid independent action film, which has made a surprising amount of money since its release on July 4? A moving true story about a real American hero? A dangerous gateway into misinformation and conspiracy? A gamble that's paid off beyond anyone's wildest expectations?
For director Alejandro Monteverde, the answer is simple: Sound of Freedom was a calling. He says he sat down to write the movie in 2017, after seeing a segment on an evening news show—"60 Minutes, 20/20, Dateline, I used to record them all"—about child trafficking. "I watched it and I couldn't sleep," he tells me in an interview. "I knew about human trafficking. I just didn't know about child trafficking for sexual exploitation."
The next day, he felt he needed to write a film about the issue. With cowriter Rod Barr, he spun a fully fictional screenplay called The Model, about a monied, free-wheeling guy who discovers an underground trade in sexually exploited children, then starts buying the kids back into safety. "If I'd kept making a complete fiction, I wouldn't have any of these attacks," the Mexico native says somewhat ruefully.
But that's not what happened. Instead, a producer on the still-nascent movie asked Monteverde if he'd heard of Tim Ballard, a former homeland security special agent who had started to make waves for a nonprofit he founded, Operation Underground Railroad (OUR), which reportedly had a hand in rescuing trafficked children. "So I Googled him," Monteverde says.
The online results were plentiful and included a glowing CBS News feature from 2014 on Operation Triple Take, a joint action between OUR and the Colombian government that reportedly rescued 123 trafficked people—55 of whom were children. "And I was like, Wow, I would love to meet this guy," Monteverde said. "So I met him and I saw that his story surpassed my fiction."
With Barr, he rewrote the script. Now the film would depict a heavily fictionalized take on the Colombian rescue from a few years before.
According to investigative journalist Lynn Packer, Ballard had long been seeking a wider platform for his and OUR's activities. In 2013, he and a group of filmmakers sought funding from conservative political commentator Glenn Beck for a reality series that would depict the rescue of trafficked children. Though the series never came to fruition, some members of the production team made a documentary about Ballard, released in 2016 and called The Abolitionists, that gave Ballard even more mainstream legitimacy. Soon, he was speaking at organizations like Google.
But according to Erin Albright, an attorney and longtime adviser to anti-trafficking task forces, Ballard and OUR aren't actually central to the international fight against human trafficking. "The majority of the [anti-trafficking] field views them as fringe," she tells me. "They peddle sensationalism…and they fundraise off it."
----------------------------
With a self-stated mission to "amplify light" and a business model based on crowdfunded projects, Angel Studios might seem an unlikely fit for a movie about something as dark and hopeless as the sexual exploitation of children. But according to CEO Neal Harmon, it's a natural fit. "Sound of Freedom is first and foremost a thrilling hero's tale that keeps you on the edge of your seat," he tells VF. "When you leave, you leave with hope."
Harmon isn't just a film distributor. With his brothers—who are also Angel executives—he runs an advertising and marketing agency called Harmon Brothers, which has promoted brands like toilet odor spray Poo-Pourri and the defecation-assistance stool Squatty Potty. He's also the cofounder of VidAngel, a company that engaged in a years-long legal battle with Disney and Warner Brothers over the practice of removing so-called "objectionable content" from those studios' TV shows and movies, then streaming the altered properties to VidAngel's customers. (A settlement was reached in which VidAngel agreed to pay the studios $9.9 million.)
According to Harmon, there's little difference between selling a physical product like the Squatty Potty and "selling seats for a movie." That seat-selling strategy is arguably one of Sound of Freedom's most controversial elements. After Angel bought the film's distribution rights, the company added a call to action to its credits. It encourages patrons to help "raise awareness" of child trafficking—but instead of donating to anti-trafficking groups or even directly to Ballard's efforts, patrons are asked to "pay it forward" by purchasing additional tickets for the film. "We don't have big studio money to market this movie, but we have you," an out-of-character Caviezel says before a QR code appears onscreen.
Harmon declined to share how much money Sound of Freedom has made from actual butts in seats, and how much has come from the pay-it-forward revenue (which is tracked by a separate sales platform), but as of today, Sound of Freedom had made over $100 million—far in excess of all expectations. And rather than dropping with time, Sound of Freedom's profits continue to grow week over week, Harmon and Monteverde independently confirmed.
It's a level of success that frustrates trafficking survivor Jose Alfaro. Alfaro hasn't seen the film, but he's familiar with Ballard and OUR. He tells me that narratives like Sound of Freedom's, which present trafficking as a result of kidnapping that sends victims across borders, "aren't really representative of how more commonly this crime actually happens." Merlan agrees, saying the movie contributes to the false perception "that the problem of trafficking is best addressed by kicking down doors and carrying children out."

SushiReese

Oct 30, 2017
This movie even outgrown Indy 5 &MIP 7 in some conservatives states/areas on daily box office. I think this is the first faith-based movie cross 100 million box office since The Passion of the Christ ,which also starred by Jim Caviezel.
The movie even encourages audience to scan qr code to buy tickers for stranger.
With many middle-class and young audiences moved away from traditional cinema to streaming, I think more and more these type of movies would be made into movie theater.

The4thJeazy

May 14, 2020
I was just about to say this sounds familiar to the book scams they pull. Too many evil rich fuckers to make that can make this happen

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020

www.indiewire.com

‘Sound of Freedom’ Is Cleaning Up at the Box Office Because You Can Buy Tickets for Strangers

The child-sex-trafficking drama starring Jim Caviezel made over $14.2 million on July 4 thanks to distributor Angel Studios' creative crowdfunding.

But the film's real godsend is the ability for "Sound of Freedom" fans to buy movie tickets for complete strangers.

Angel Studios calls it "Pay It Forward," in which you can buy a ticket for "Sound of Freedom," pay for another one, and someone else can apply to redeem it if they don't have the financial means. A larger group of people buying tickets in bulk, such as for a company or a church, can even redeem a portion of their tickets for free. The distributor says of its $14.2 million haul, $2.6 million came from people overpaying through those Pay It Forward ticket sales.

www.vanityfair.com

‘Sound of Freedom’: The Wild True Story Behind 2023’s Most Controversial Film

While critics, interest groups, and political factions rage against the anti-child-trafficking drama, its distributor is laughing all the way to the bank.

What is the Jim Caviezel–led action drama Sound of Freedom, exactly? A solid independent action film, which has made a surprising amount of money since its release on July 4? A moving true story about a real American hero? A dangerous gateway into misinformation and conspiracy? A gamble that's paid off beyond anyone's wildest expectations?

For director Alejandro Monteverde, the answer is simple: Sound of Freedom was a calling. He says he sat down to write the movie in 2017, after seeing a segment on an evening news show—"60 Minutes, 20/20, Dateline, I used to record them all"—about child trafficking. "I watched it and I couldn't sleep," he tells me in an interview. "I knew about human trafficking. I just didn't know about child trafficking for sexual exploitation."

The next day, he felt he needed to write a film about the issue. With cowriter Rod Barr, he spun a fully fictional screenplay called The Model, about a monied, free-wheeling guy who discovers an underground trade in sexually exploited children, then starts buying the kids back into safety. "If I'd kept making a complete fiction, I wouldn't have any of these attacks," the Mexico native says somewhat ruefully.

But that's not what happened. Instead, a producer on the still-nascent movie asked Monteverde if he'd heard of Tim Ballard, a former homeland security special agent who had started to make waves for a nonprofit he founded, Operation Underground Railroad (OUR), which reportedly had a hand in rescuing trafficked children. "So I Googled him," Monteverde says.

The online results were plentiful and included a glowing CBS News feature from 2014 on Operation Triple Take, a joint action between OUR and the Colombian government that reportedly rescued 123 trafficked people—55 of whom were children. "And I was like, Wow, I would love to meet this guy," Monteverde said. "So I met him and I saw that his story surpassed my fiction."

With Barr, he rewrote the script. Now the film would depict a heavily fictionalized take on the Colombian rescue from a few years before.

According to investigative journalist Lynn Packer, Ballard had long been seeking a wider platform for his and OUR's activities. In 2013, he and a group of filmmakers sought funding from conservative political commentator Glenn Beck for a reality series that would depict the rescue of trafficked children. Though the series never came to fruition, some members of the production team made a documentary about Ballard, released in 2016 and called The Abolitionists, that gave Ballard even more mainstream legitimacy. Soon, he was speaking at organizations like Google.

But according to Erin Albright, an attorney and longtime adviser to anti-trafficking task forces, Ballard and OUR aren't actually central to the international fight against human trafficking. "The majority of the [anti-trafficking] field views them as fringe," she tells me. "They peddle sensationalism…and they fundraise off it."

----------------------------

With a self-stated mission to "amplify light" and a business model based on crowdfunded projects, Angel Studios might seem an unlikely fit for a movie about something as dark and hopeless as the sexual exploitation of children. But according to CEO Neal Harmon, it's a natural fit. "Sound of Freedom is first and foremost a thrilling hero's tale that keeps you on the edge of your seat," he tells VF. "When you leave, you leave with hope."

Harmon isn't just a film distributor. With his brothers—who are also Angel executives—he runs an advertising and marketing agency called Harmon Brothers, which has promoted brands like toilet odor spray Poo-Pourri and the defecation-assistance stool Squatty Potty. He's also the cofounder of VidAngel, a company that engaged in a years-long legal battle with Disney and Warner Brothers over the practice of removing so-called "objectionable content" from those studios' TV shows and movies, then streaming the altered properties to VidAngel's customers. (A settlement was reached in which VidAngel agreed to pay the studios $9.9 million.)

According to Harmon, there's little difference between selling a physical product like the Squatty Potty and "selling seats for a movie." That seat-selling strategy is arguably one of Sound of Freedom's most controversial elements. After Angel bought the film's distribution rights, the company added a call to action to its credits. It encourages patrons to help "raise awareness" of child trafficking—but instead of donating to anti-trafficking groups or even directly to Ballard's efforts, patrons are asked to "pay it forward" by purchasing additional tickets for the film. "We don't have big studio money to market this movie, but we have you," an out-of-character Caviezel says before a QR code appears onscreen.

Harmon declined to share how much money Sound of Freedom has made from actual butts in seats, and how much has come from the pay-it-forward revenue (which is tracked by a separate sales platform), but as of today, Sound of Freedom had made over $100 million—far in excess of all expectations. And rather than dropping with time, Sound of Freedom's profits continue to grow week over week, Harmon and Monteverde independently confirmed.

It's a level of success that frustrates trafficking survivor Jose Alfaro. Alfaro hasn't seen the film, but he's familiar with Ballard and OUR. He tells me that narratives like Sound of Freedom's, which present trafficking as a result of kidnapping that sends victims across borders, "aren't really representative of how more commonly this crime actually happens." Merlan agrees, saying the movie contributes to the false perception "that the problem of trafficking is best addressed by kicking down doors and carrying children out."

This is a much better explanation of what is going on

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
I'll be honest, I didn't see that coming. Bad vibes. 😬

Lexad

"This guy are sick"
Nov 4, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Dismissiveness concerning alt-right propaganda
variety.com

Jim Caviezel’s Faith-Based Thriller ‘Sound of Freedom’ Crosses $100 Million at Box Office

“Sound of Freedom," this summer's unlikely box office hit, has crossed the $100 million mark in North America.

Cool stuff! Your favorite president even screened the movie for some of America's finest, including Steve Bannon, Kari Lake, and Jack Posobiec.

www.theguardian.com

Trump hosts screening of Sound of Freedom, a hit with QAnon devotees

Ex-president holds golf club screening of child trafficking film, with Steve Bannon, Kari Lake and Jack Posobiec in attendance

It's so great to see all this genuine concern about child trafficking, inspired by this incredible movie that definitely isn't involved at all in a dangerous conspiracy theory about Democratic Satanists harvesting children.
Having seen the film, which was filmed 5 years ago and was in pre-production before Q came out, there wasn't a single democrat, adenochrome, harvesting, bs or whatever in the film.

It was a deeply disturbing film because things like child trafficking do in fact exist. I could give two fucks if Kari Lake and Jack P like the film.

Deleted member 8579

Oct 26, 2017
Do they all watch it while secretly siding with child trafficking etc. if only eh Donald with his wry smile. 🤮 I really believe they are outraged at something they want.

Jul 10, 2020
Based on my limited understanding, is this like a pyramid scheme of ticket sales?

Somebody buys 5 tickets for somebody else to "Spread the Word" and then they buy 5 tickets, and then somebody else buys 5 tickets, and then hundreds of tickets are sold and there's like 3 people in the theater.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand what they get from astroturfing this movie, nobody is actually seeing it so it's not really doing it's job, it's not even in the conversation except in how nobody has actually seen the movie yet it's always sold out

Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
I wish cinemas would just boycott this flat out And kill it dead.

But there are are a lot of sympathisers enabling this bullshit sadly. that plus this payout forward crap, means the grift never ends, they have no reason to stop stop the gravy train.

Jul 10, 2020
I don't understand what they get from astroturfing this movie, nobody is actually seeing it so it's not really doing it's job, it's not even in the conversation except in how nobody has actually seen the movie yet it's always sold out

I'm fairly certain I read on R/Boxoffice and BOT there's some kind of Ticket Pyramid Scheme going on here where people are buying tickets for other people to "Help Spread the Word" and then just nobody's seeing it.

The people who are seeing it though... The stories I've read on R/TheaterEmployees.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
That's way more than any A24 movie ever. Depressing

They are definitely pulling shady shit to juice those numbers. This has not actually made $100 million at the box office.

I live in the type of area Jason Aldean writes songs about. I have heard zero people talk about this movie IRL, and clicking through the showtimes for the weekend, there are literally 0-4 tickets sold for every showing except one (where someone has bought an entire row).

They are trying to make it a thing by projecting success, same as so many rich people do when they put out a new book and buy up enough copies to get on best sellers lists. They (supposedly) beat Indiana Jones for a day and of course right wing YouTube spun up to cheer on the victory. This combined with conspiracy theories about how much "they" don't want you to see the movie is how they are attempting to promote it.