Status
Not open for further replies.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Fuck Putin and everything he's doing.

OUtside of like total economic blockade, I don't know how much sanctions, even harsh ones will really do. The Russian people will end up suffering but Putin won't feel anything. And I just feel like NATO won't do anything outside of Russia actually attacking a NATO member. Then again, if Russia does some stupid cyberattack against the US or Western Europe in retaliation for sanctions, would that constitute straight up war and article 5?

No one is going to start a modern world war over a cyber attack and we didn't the last time Russia did it to us in 2016, 2018, 2020...

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Yep there were two of the most progressive house democrats pushing Russian disinformation just last week and in UK there's Jeremy corbyn and stop the war.
It all pisses me off so much. It completely ignores the entire history of the region to paint the Russian government here as anything but the bad guy.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Fuck Putin and everything he's doing.

OUtside of like total economic blockade, I don't know how much sanctions, even harsh ones will really do. The Russian people will end up suffering but Putin won't feel anything. And I just feel like NATO won't do anything outside of Russia actually attacking a NATO member. Then again, if Russia does some stupid cyberattack against the US or Western Europe in retaliation for sanctions, would that constitute straight up war and article 5?

There may be a point where the Russian people have enough. Or if the Oligarchs (as I understand it, Russia is basically constructed like the mob) just overthrow him.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Are these fucks just bombing indiscriminately? Putin needs to get offed

dont kid yourself by thinking civilian suffering and death is not an intentional part of war.
military philosophy for years has emphasized that you bully The civilian population to capitulate to the invading/oppowing force. Civilians are absolutely a target here if not in the immediate shelling than in the hard HARD crackdown and occupation that follows

Oct 27, 2017
We'd be fools to imagine Russia will stop here. Russia's actions warrant a complete and total divorce of all economic ties from the world. This blatant act of imperialistic territorial aggression is proof apparent that Putin has funneled economic gains into territorial expansionism.

TeraDax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Québec
Man, I just feel sooo powerless. Like, I'm here, from Quebec, Canada, watching a country getting attacked live. There is fucking nothing I can do.
Stay safe everyone :(

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Cuba didn't have nukes, oil, and natural gas.
Yeah. This is an unhinged shell of a superpower with critical resources and nuclear/chemical/biological capabilities like you said. The options for dealing with it aren't pretty, simple, or quick. I don't even know where to start if he doesn't care about sanctions or can just find a different buyer of oil/gas.

Trafalgar Law

Nov 6, 2017
Damn Tankies were big wrong on this one, guess america isn't the only one to flex imperialist muscle in modern times
Taiwan gotta feel tense

Oct 27, 2017
We'd be fools to imagine Russia will stop here. Russia's actions warrant a complete and total divorce of all economic ties from the world. This blatant act of imperialistic territorial aggression is proof apparent that Putin has funneled economic gains into territorial expansionism.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He was and I laughed at him. I was wrong and I'm not afraid to admit that. He had the right read on them. I still think he needed to lose, but he was right on this.

It's honestly odd that I was not old enough to vote yet and I still remember that debate where the question was like "who's the biggest threat" and people were mocking him for saying ti was Russia

Lucky Aces

Banned
Dec 7, 2020
Ukraine-Gaf….I have no idea what to say other than please stay safe out there. This is awful beyond measure.

Fuck you Putin you psychopath.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
What does the immediate aftermath of this look like, assuming that Russia has its way with Ukraine and no one intervenes?
The "best" case scenario is probably several months of an Afghanistan/Iraq style insurgency warfare in Ukraine, while economic sanctions hurt Russia's ability to stay and they "mission accomplished" and leave. In this scenario nuclear war is avoided, Ukraine isn't absorbed into Russia long term, and Russia isn't able to push any farther and instigate more wars.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
They always find "their balls" after the fact when it no longer matters. Then after time passes after tragedy, lose them again.

That's usually true, but I'll fully admit to thinking Mitt Romney was a weirdo when he said we should be fearing Russia back when he ran in 2012. To his credit, he absolutely called this shit.

As someone who grew up in the 90s and 2000s, Russia being something I should be afraid of just didn't make sense to me since I was born a year before the Soviet Union collapsed. I didn't grow up with a "strong" Russia. For the longest time, the only time I heard about Russia at all was either vodka related jokes or "in Soviet Russia..." jokes.

It's only been the past 10 years or so that I've really started to comprehend what exactly Russia can and will do.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Romney was right on Russia back when he was running for president.
I was more talking about him mocking Trumpublican's use of "America First".

Still, Romney was mostly quiet on Russia during Trump's presidency as Russia worked to undermine our Democracy. I mean not completely, but, did he even support election security against their cyber attacks, I don't recall.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
What is stopping Putin from rolling over all of eastern europe? Western powers don't even have the balls for harsh sanctions.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The "best" case scenario is probably several months of an Afghanistan/Iraq style insurgency warfare in Ukraine, while economic sanctions hurt Russia's ability to stay and they "mission accomplished" and leave. In this scenario nuclear war is avoided, Ukraine isn't absorbed into Russia long term, and Russia isn't able to push any farther and instigate more wars.

Yeah, Ukraine is a *big* country. Almost 45 million people.

I think Afghanistan is a good analogy. Taking it won't take too long, but holding it might prove to be difficult long-term. Who knows.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
If Putin had a long-term master plan to get the Russian Empire or at least more immediately the USSR back together, I don't think Romney's words in 2012 would have mattered much to stop him. Putin doesn't give a shit and he knows there is little the world can do to him without risking a global calamity. And he knows he will outlast any term or terms of a US president.

Nov 8, 2017
What is stopping Putin from rolling over all of eastern europe? Western powers don't even have the balls for harsh sanctions.

Nato member states in Dark Blue

Ukraine in Green

1200px-NATO_affiliations_in_Europe.svg.png

Status
Not open for further replies.