• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SFLUFAN

Oct 27, 2017
Alexandria, VA
We've also heard from a number of sources that Sony is lining up a bid, although the company's recent reacquisition of the Alan Wake brand casts some doubt on that speculation.

How does the acquisition of the Alan Wake publishing rights (which they got half-wrong because Remedy already owned the IP) due to the expiration of Microsoft's right of first refusal "cast doubt" on any potential Sony bid? What does one have to do with the other?

Jan 20, 2019
How does the acquisition of the Alan Wake publishing rights (which they got half-wrong because Remedy already owned the IP) due to the expiration of Microsoft's right of first refusal "cast doubt" on any potential Sony bid? What does one have to do with the other?

The first part is the source, the second one is a opinion.

And getting the rights to publish a games is a big deal.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
both zhuge and matt said in this thread that sony are looking into this, even though it still might not happen, so i guess that their source was not wrong this time (didnt know that they had sources tbh)

Ah wow, that's pretty interesting! You typically don't hear rumblings of public companies like this being acquired.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldnt be shocked if remedy, bluepoint, and insomniac become sony 1st party studios in the next 5 years

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
The last thing Sony needs is another developer that exclusively focuses on making movies

Incubuster

Oct 30, 2017
I don't see the downside to this other than them only making exclusives, which they have done quite a bit in the past. I think the trade off of being able to join WWS would be great for them though.

Stellar

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
More movie games? Sounds absolutely awful. As if Sony doesn't have enough of those already LOL

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
User Warned: Post count shaming / alt accusation
More movie games? Sounds absolutely awful. As if Sony doesn't have enough of those already LOL
The last thing Sony needs is another developer that exclusively focuses on making movies
What is this? Account and alt account?

What a load of nonsense. This kind of trolling console war nonsense should be ban-able.

This is been shown to be demonstrably false on many occasions on many different fronts.

Remedy is demonstrably a VERY capable developer from a gameplay perspective.

The last three Sony AAA's have been very gameplay focused. They are not movies.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Remedy, Bluepoint, Insomniac and Housemarque, Sony going for solid and mostly safe aqusitions going into next-gen.
Sounds good, they can give both the budget, the marketing push and creative freedom these studios need.
I know people might be disappointed in those studios future games being locked behind one console, but acqusitions happen everytime in every type of business, maybe it's something that could greatly help these studios on a multitude of levels, like stability, safe paychecks for employees, and this leads to more chances to take on brave challanges.

Personal hope is that Sony eyes for a J dev as well, i still dream of that AAA JRPG rumor that went on and on in the old place (lol).

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
How much for Kadokawa then?
Kadokawa is an industry gigant (movies, games, pretty much monopoly on light novels, magazines, manga).
Way too much hassle unless you want specifically FromSoft.

I guess, being sold is not out of question but they would 100% ask for insane amount.

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Kadokawa is an industry gigant (movies, games, pretty much monopoly on light novels, magazines, manga).
Way too much hassle unless you want specifically FromSoft.

I guess, being sold is not out of question but they would 100% ask for insane amount.

Their could definitely be some synergy with movies and the fact that Sony owns FUNimation now. Still very unlikely, but no on would be laughed out of the boardroom if they were to propose it in such a way

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
based on the fact that they release games rather infrequently and when they do they don't exactly light the charts on fire

you can tell that insomniac is doing much better just by how much more often they release games, not even taking into account how much their profile was raised by the successful spiderman release

They haven't really spent much of their own money until recently with Control and even then I believe they've had some support from 505 and Don't paying for exclusive content.

So yeah, it's not always as simple as it looks on the surface. Remedy are doing well, much better than you'd think if you only looked at their output.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
unless they're in danger of dying and this is the only way to save them i can't imagine why anyone would want this shit

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
I could see that being a good fit. I believe they only made 2 exclusives for MS so it hopefully wouldn't be looked at as some silly "betrayalton". Sucks not having their games on PC but I'm sure a well funded next-gen exclusive would be stellar.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
ah man I wanted a studio for a genre Sony needs help in

so far Sony is already ace in 3rd party action games

good for Remedy though and people who like their work

Moertel

Apr 26, 2018
I feel like acquiring Remedy would be too expensive. We're talking about 120mio+ for a studio that:

- Hasn't had a big commercial success in ages
- Doesn't have IP with big appeal (an Alan Wake sequel wouldn't sell double digits, no matter its quality)

On the other hand they are decently profitable, have their own amazing engine and who knows what's happening with their Vanguard project. Love the studio to death and honestly would prefer them staying independent. I just don't think this is the right fit for Sony, given the audience they seem to aim at.

Oct 28, 2017
With access to Sony's techstack, resources and guidance, I wonder how far a studio like Remedy could go..

I'm a bigger fan of building studio's from the ground up with no legacy to carry around, but Remedy would make a lot sense.

Oct 28, 2017
So if MS does these things, they are being criticized. If it's Sony, then it is a 'perfect fit' or whatever... Please apply the same standards to everybody!

Remedy is big enough and should focus on bringing their games to multiple platforms. I don't think second party has worked well for them, they should be widening their audience with PC/PS4/XB1 releases.

Sony was a much better history nurturing teams and guiding projects so that only makes sense.

Kingpin722

Oct 28, 2017
I LOVE the concept of Quantam Break and Control but both those games seem to missing something that I can't really name that's holds them back from being blockbusters. I feel Remedy being under Sony's roof could provide their concepts with that missing element that could help them make that transition to a household name.

Quade

Mar 8, 2019
unless they're in danger of dying and this is the only way to save them i can't imagine why anyone would want this shit

Here, i'll help you. Remedy are a very competent games studio that have made a number of games people many people enjoy. Your opinion on their games is subjective and a lot of people would be inclined to disagree with you. You're welcome.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Sony already has narrative focused third person action games on lock, why would they buy Remedy.

Diversify a bit.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017

It's pretty ridiculous to call some of the best games of the generation a "movie." Having said that, while 3rd party narrative games are Sony's bread and butter, I would absolutely love for them to use these acquisitions - should they go that route - to diversify their portfolio a bit.

MisterR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This seems like a match made in heaven. 3rd person action is Sony's wheelhouse and the fanbase for these types of games are already on the platform and it would give Remedy stability and money.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I actually once had a dream after E3 that Sony bought Square and rebranded FF as Liberi Fatali, lol.
I am all for buying studio if it makes sense, either if the studio is dying or their output alligns with the buyer's portfolio.

Something like "Sony has bought Capcom" would be mega shit cause it would limit a lot of their IPs and serve mostly as console wars artillery.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
Would have rather them buy Treasure and have them focus on only downloadable retro style games. They can definitely use an acquisition, but what do I know :/.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
So if MS does these things, they are being criticized. If it's Sony, then it is a 'perfect fit' or whatever... Please apply the same standards to everybody!

Remedy is big enough and should focus on bringing their games to multiple platforms. I don't think second party has worked well for them, they should be widening their audience with PC/PS4/XB1 releases.

Probably because the vast majority of their audience is outside of Xbox (Meaning PlayStation and Nintendo). They would be very compromised if they didn't have those two platforms to sell their games on. And when mentioning that, some Xbox diehards believe that in the next few years that hundreds of millions of consumers will be able to play their games wherever they want on xCloud so it will all work out (because nothing can go wrong there or not work out, right?)......

Remedy would work on PlayStation if they make compellingly story driven, big budget action games. And that is what they tend to aim for so maybe Sony can help take them to the next level, who knows?

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
If MS ain't got the balls to truly invest in single player games, then Sony will.

This would be a perfect marriage if not for the fact it means we will lose out on PC ports.

Stellar

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sony already has narrative focused third person action games on lock, why would they buy Remedy.

Diversify a bit.

Yup. There are tons of developers out there that could help broaden Sony's scope. It is actually crazy if they're really considering acquiring Remedy out of the hundreds/thousands of dev studios out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.